Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Save Derpy Hooves  

45 users have voted

1. 1. Derpy Hooves: Hate or like?

• Against
    • Destroy the Misunderstanding

I agree that people overreact about Derpy. i can understand how some might take offense, but not enough to CHANGE Derpy.

Our Muffin Princess will not change.

I completely agree

• 2 weeks later...

How easily this entire issue could have been avoided if only they had used the canonically established name Ditzy Doo for that scene. (As they apparently originally intended: Thanks to Matackable for the link) But hindsight is always 20/20, as 'twere. I'm not sure if I appreciate the implication that to be a Brony necessitates a liking or acceptance of all the fanfiction surrounding Derpy, nor the assertion that the only people who complained about the original scene were those who wished to take pot shots at the Brony community. That smacks of petulance and paranoia to me. No doubt some of those complaints do have that as their origin, but to assume that they all do, or to label the complainers as trolls or soccer moms just doesn't sit right with me. The majority were, I'm sure, legitimate complaints by well-meaning (if perhaps over-sensitive) people. Let's not kid ourselve, the vocal minorities are the ones more likely to get their way with things. "The squeeky wheel gets the grease", after all. Trite, but true.

For my own part, I am more than happy to have Derpy as an Easter Egg/Running Gag in the episodes without needing to make every whim of the fan-generated content into canon material as a "tip of the hat." This is a personal idiosyncacy of mine, to prefer canon over fanfiction (or headcanon, if you wish to use the term, although I am uncertain of it's legitimacy - if you consider that canon is what actually happens in the show, then both "fan canon"/"fanon" or "head canon" become oxymorons.) I also feel that making concessions to the fans can be the start of a very low-friction inclined plane. It's nice when it happens, but on the whole, I would rather it didn't.

I dont mind the voice change(actually think the new one fits her better), nor do I mind that she retained ditsy as her name(after all was referenced as that long before derpy name was used). What I do mind is uncrossing the eyes. What, she was not physiologically perfect, and thats a big no no? Here I thought teaching kids that people/ponies are different is important, but I apparently was wrong.

Kids might not even think about the change, but I do, and I am sad to say it really annoys me.

But media in general is like that, sad to see that "perfectionism" rubbed off like that.

Know what the sad part is?I can bet you, if we got a 3 legged pony or a pony with 1 eye, people would never have bothered to complain, because those are accepted traits to have fun with.

Although I do think piling on Hasbro excessively isn't a constructive way to deal with this, I do want to emphasize that for anyone who still feels hurt by this, my heart and hooves are with you. :)

That, I do agree with. It isn't really Hasbro's fault. They just reacted in the only way they could. It's the fault of the trolls (nobody's convinced me they're real parents yet) that complained.

Edited by SBaby

That, I do agree with. It isn't really Hasbro's fault. They just reacted in the only way they could. It's the fault of the trolls (nobody's convinced me they're real parents yet) that complained.

The burden of proof is not on one to convince you that they are "real parents", but on you to convince others that the entirety of the group that complained are trolls. The assertion "complainers are all trolls" requires proof more than the assertion that "the complainers include trolls, and people with a legitimate - in their eyes - complaint".

The save Derpy video made me cry and complaining about it on the internet is the only way for me to feel better therefor have no option but to voice my distaste for the fact that a perceived insult towards a group in a scene that received far fewer complaints than compliments culminated in a name change for one of the most beloved characters in the show.

Edited by Hatguy

The burden of proof is not on one to convince you that they are "real parents", but on you to convince others that the entirety of the group that complained are trolls. The assertion "complainers are all trolls" requires proof more than the assertion that "the complainers include trolls, and people with a legitimate - in their eyes - complaint".

Since I can't find the NCIS lawyers clip, I'll just say this. I don't have to do anything or prove anything. I am not a lawyer and I am not a cop. And frankly, I could care less if they're really parents or not. It is of no real consequence to me. Good for them if they are, but I have my doubts about all of them being parents. Most people that remember the incident with Alex S. probably understand why this is and also have doubts as well.

Whether they're parents or not, doesn't matter. There is no distinction between them and the trolls that attack the fanbase, as far as I'm concerned. I was simply making a point that if we're going to blame somebody, it should be them and not Hasbro. After all, they're the ones that complained to cause this in the first place, and we have proof of that right from people that work on the show.

What they do not realize is that Derpy, like many before her, is more than a character. She is an idea. And ideas cannot be destroyed.

Edited by SBaby

I would like to state this and this only........ We live in a world ruled by the society. Labeling people "derpy" or "ditzy" or even "retarded" is society lashing out on something that is not "normal"...... Well let me ask this. What is normal? Is there such a thing called "normal".NOOOOO do you know why???? Because everyone in the world is different. Im a 23 year old male. I like My Little Pony Friendship is magic. Does that make me weird???? No. The reason why is because Im different. However "society" Labels ponies a girly thing. How is it a girly thing. Ive ranted longer than i wanted to so I will leave on this note......... Screw society....Screw labels.... And just leave things they way they are. They were made that way for a reason!!!!!!!!!!

The complainers are too butthurt just because they don't like the way Derpy looks and talks. I've seen other characters who are similar to Derpy, like Billy and Ed, but they didn't criticized it one bit until they chose Derpy to hate on about. This is what I hate about people who give a certain character a bad name... http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

I'm not defending the decision to change Derpy's VA, but I can understand why parents would find her way of speech and actions offensive. She sounded like she had down syndrome and she was constantly making mistakes. It was an unfortunate display of clumsy events that quite possibly could have offended more than over-protective parents. Still, I like Derpy's original VA better than the new one since she had more emotion in her words.

Edited by Guest

I'm not defending the decision to change Derpy's VA, but I can understand why parents would find her way of speech and actions offensive. She sounded like she had down syndrome and she was constantly making mistakes. It was an unfortunate display of clumsy events that quite possibly could have offended more than over-protective parents. Still, I like Derpy's original VA better than the new one since she had more emotion in her words.

The wierd thing there, is that by wanting to remove or ease it, one might really be saying "We don't want any ponies with downs syndrome around, especially not if they makes mistakes!"

Then there is also the question what "Derpy" really means.

A lot thinks it means "stupid", while the bronies in general seems to think it simply means "mistake" ....

There is no doubt that these interpretation-variants have had a big part in this ... failure of situation.

• Brohoof 1

There is only one way Derpy would get her own episode, and that would be if Pat Allee directed it. Nobody else would likely be willing to do it. The good news is if in the unlikely event that ever DID happen, nobody would ever complain about Derpy again afterward.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, no new episode today - that's cool. We getting ready for the Royal Wedding right? Hosted by Tori Spelling right? (Not sure why, but ok...)

But why in the name of Celestia instead are we being shown the altered version of The Last Roundup?! GRRRRRRRRR, talk about opening up an old wound! My Saturday is ruined. Good thing I have the DVD - this is the only version I will accept.

Sorry to rant and rave but why would they show the most offensive thing ever the week before such an anticipated event? Seriously, why did I need to be reminded of this fiasco?

DERPY FOREVER!!!!!

• Brohoof 1

But why in the name of Celestia instead are we being shown the altered version of The Last Roundup?! GRRRRRRRRR, talk about opening up an old wound! My Saturday is ruined. Sorry to rant and rave but why would they show the most offensive thing ever the week before such an anticipated event? Seriously, why did I need to be reminded of this fiasco?

Because they don't want the same bunch of parents/concerned adults going on about how Derpy is the equivalent of a mentally challenged person/pony, again. Besides, its only offensive to (most) bronies, I highly doubt others would care.

(awaits mistake to be pointed out)

Edited by NeverNeverland

I have seen only one clip of the altered version. And I actually think it sucks on more than the grounds of it's censorship alone. The voice given to Derpy actually really sucks in that version, because it doesn't remotely fit her character.

Because they don't want the same bunch of parents/concerned adults going on about how Derpy is the equivalent of a mentally challenged person/pony, again. Besides, its only offensive to (most) bronies, I highly doubt others would care.

(awaits mistake to be pointed out)

Out of what... 50 episodes now?... they couldn't pick some random episode that was offensive to no pony? I am pissed. Showing ANYTHING would have been better. Honestly, I would have even preferred another show - even another generation of MLP! That's how much I hate that altered version.