Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Save Derpy Hooves  

45 users have voted

1. 1. Derpy Hooves: Hate or like?

• Against
    • Destroy the Misunderstanding

Can we please just LOCK this thread already!? PLEASE!

I agree, nothing good can come of continuing this discussion. I was foolish to think I could post on an MLP board and expect sympathy because seeing the edited version dampened my mood. Apparently, all I have done is stirred up more negative feelings - in others and myself.

How presumptuous of you. I was well aware of the existence of this thread. I started a new thread because I was bothered by the timing of the showing of the episode, I was not trying to start up the controversy all over again.

You didn't act like a mod, personally I think you acted like an

Posted Image

I was just stating that it had the same exact content as the previous one and I don't think a new thread has to be created for every time the show reruns. Sorry if I offended you by saying the thread provided no new content but it doesn't seem to matter anymore for the thread has already been meshed in. And no need to start casting out personal insults, I wasn't trying to start a flame war.

Again....I say....CAN WE JUST LOCK THE DANG THREAD ALREADY!? This one has already been a big eyesore since it happened.

Derpy's voice was changed. Unfortunatly we don't run hasbro and unfortunatly the woman with good intentions who okayed it was ignorant and needs to learn to listen to the 200 some emails bronies sent her and not 10 assholes....Sorry for cursing.

This thread isn't gonna change anything. Feld0 someone PLEASE just lock it!

I was just stating that it had the same exact content as the previous one and I don't think a new thread has to be created for every time the show reruns. Sorry if I offended you by saying the thread provided no new content but it doesn't seem to matter anymore for the thread has already been meshed in. And no need to start casting out personal insults, I wasn't trying to start a flame war.

Apology accepted and I apologize too if you felt I was personally insulting you - I just didn't care for the way you wrote it. Anyway, I am also sorry to bring up old wounds. I just wanted sympathy for a less-than-stellar Saturday I was having. In hindsight, that was selfish of me since I did not consider the ramifications of my actions.

I am all for the locking of this thread.

Apology accepted and I apologize too if you felt I was personally insulting you - I just didn't care for the way you wrote it. Anyway, I am also sorry to bring up old wounds. I just wanted sympathy for a less-than-stellar Saturday I was having. In hindsight, that was selfish of me since I did not consider the ramifications of my actions.

I am all for the locking of this thread.

No need, it was mixed with the previous ones anyways. Thanks for apologizing, this is what really separates us from the other fanbases. Everyone has bad days, but what really shows your true colors is how you react after your emotions wear down a bit. I also poked my head out a little more then i usually would with that post, I was just seeing a bunch of reposted threads (like 4 in a row) and that was just a copypasta I was applying to all of them.

Since I watch the nice clean (HUB badge free) copies a friend gave me, I never have to worry about seeing Derpy censored. There. Now the thread can be locked!

LOL!

Here's a really cool bro-hoof picture to hopefully end the thread with!

Posted Image

Can we please just LOCK this thread already!? PLEASE!

You know, you can always just, not read the topic, if you feel that strongly about it.

The problem with locking it is that another one will pop up, and it'll end up with people complaining about the edit again. So it's probably better just to confine it to one thread, rather than having a million Derpy threads all over the place. There's a reason the mods combined all the voice change threads into this one.

Edited by SBaby

If anything people should look at it this way; even if she is mentally handicapped, the show My Little Pony is based on friendship and acceptance. It shows that even IF she has a minor problem, she is still loved and accepted by everypony in Ponyville for who she is. It is the way people should be, but instead you have those people out there that disagree and deem it offensive and stupid to show a differant point of view based on their own biased background. Either way though I full heartily agree; the change in Derpy's voice and appearance was pointless and shouldn't have happened

Derpy 4 ever

• Brohoof 1

Now please don't hate me for this, but I actually kind of like this new voice. It sounds closer to the fan voiced Derpy (which is my favorite voice for her.) The other voice did sound a little too masculine for our bubbly mailmare.

i feel the same way Edited by Pizzly

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

As a father of two daughters who both watch the show avidly, I must say that this was mildly disappointing.

Though the word derp 'can' mean stupid, in popular internet culture it mostly refers to the wall-eyed appearance of the character: this is what the fans noticed, and why the fans called her by that name.. not because she was mentally handicapped, which wouldn't have been apparent in her non-speaking appearances, even if it were true (which it doesn't seem to be).

My daughters did not laugh at her name, or call her stupid: in fact, they thought that Rainbow Dash was a little too harsh towards her, as the destruction was clearly an accident and Derpy's intentions were good. They didn't see her as being "retarded" or "stupid": just a well-meaning klutz. To be honest, though: so what if she were mentally challenged? Why would that matter? Isn't that just an excellent platform for teaching kids at an early age to see beyond surface appearances to the person inside, and to treat all others with equal respect, no matter their differences? Hasbro, I think you dropped the ball on this one...

Edit: ... though I do think it was good of you to at least include the unaltered version in the DVD release. I would encourage you to explore the Derpy character further, and use it as a positive tool to help viewers cope with real issues that they might very well have to face in real life, such as intolerance

Edited by Brandon Lytle
  • Brohoof 5

Personally, I find it much more offensive that when presented with a cartoon character who's klutzy, googly-eyed and has a goofy voice that the first place people go to is "mentally retarded." Does anyone else feel like that?

As for the voice itself, it's not suited to her character, especially since we've all heard the real thing. The original voice just fit so much more, and made her come across as more innocent. One could just as easily make the argument that the new voice perpetuates the dumb blonde stereotype. But you won't hear people complaining about that, will you?

• 3 weeks later...

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

(edited)

Because as I said in another thread.

I freaken love Derpy and I have a disability, it's Asperger Syndrome. The people who find this offensive, are in fact offensive to people like me with a disability in trying to silence people like me with disabilities.

I even made a poorly made Youtube video to rant about this whole Derpy Controversy.

Also let's not forget Crackle? No one seemed to be offended by him, hmm strange?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS5_IFsFZsc&list=UUBMiJwwa1_wccKbAJljIbZQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 2

Because as I said in another thread.

I saw your video on YouTube this morning,

Personally I think it would be more offensive to get rid of Derpy because of what people think.

I don't really know what happened to Derpy was it because people found her offensive all I really know it that Hasbro told WeLoveFine to stop selling Derpy merchandise but I am not sure.

And where did you hear/read this news? Got any links?