Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP:FiM Comic Book Series Discussion

lardbobobo

Soooo, for those of you who don't know today is the official release date of the my little pony comics. I don't have a copy yet, although I will probably be getting a digital copy later today. I would go get a physical copy, but apparantly my local comic book store doesn't have any with them and I'm kind of shocked.

Sooo, for those of you who already got a copy, how is it?

--

Greetings, folks!

Treat this topic as a hub topic for all your needs for the MLP:FiM Comic book series; discussion of latest issues, thoughts on the comics' overall canonicity, so on and so forth!

* Please do not include attachments of, or post links to entire comic issues. Individual pages and things are a different matter but, posting entire comics is still illegal, and is something we'd rather not have directly on-forum.

~CD~

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
Adding a note for the weary traveler.

I've read it. Couldn't wait for it to come, so I got the digital version :3 Anyways, it's awesome. That's really all I need to say. Plus, I'm not very good at reviewing comic books. I'm not gonna spoil anything, but its got some funny parts (at least I thought so) It also has a huge cliffhanger at the end of course. You have to wait for issue 2 to be released. Can't wait for that :3

I didn't follow the news about this, I new there was a comic coming soon but I had no idea when it would be released and what it would be about, so what's the story about? I don't mind spoilers myself but a rough idea of the plot would be nice.

I didn't follow the news about this, I new there was a comic coming soon but I had no idea when it would be released and what it would be about, so what's the story about? I don't mind spoilers myself but a rough idea of the plot would be nice.

Ok. I shall give a little summary. I don't have much time ATM, so it wil be really quick.DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOIKERS

Basically, it's about queen chrysalis coming back, but this time she comes to ponyville. She starts replacing ponies with changelings, and then she gets the CMC. That's when the mane 6 decide they have to do something about it. So they set out to save the CMC and stop chrysalis. That's the whole comic issue. The other issues aren't out yet.

If any of you have already read it and find some errors with my summary, please feel free to correct me. I wrote this all from memory.

Basically, Chrysallis comes back to terrorize Ponyville. 

Sweet Celestia, Chrysalis already? Does anyone know when the comics's events take place in relation to the show? Are they canon or not? I need to know how much this messes with my fanfic.

Edited by Flutters

I havent seen it in any of the local stores i have in my area ,but i willd definetly take a quick look at it.

Does anyone know when the comics's events take place in relation to the show? Are they canon or not?

I beleive they are canon to themselves and not the actual show.....anyway that's what i think.

Sweet Celestia, Chrysalis already? Does anyone know when the comics's events take place in relation to the show? Are they canon or not? I need to know how much this messes with my fanfic.

Not sure if it's canon or not, all I know is that it more than likely takes place some time between the end of Season two and the start of Season 3, as season three had yet to be released when this was written.

Got my copy of it yesterday...you would not believe how much my local comic shop hyped this up. First thing you see upon walking in the door? Display filled with pony comics, all six covers laid out front and center for all to see. Then they were in the new releases section, the comic racks and even on two separate shelves throughout the store.

As for the comic itself, it took longer to read than usual cause I kept having to stop and catch my breath from laughing. Everypony is wonderfully in character and just like in the show there is no shortage of hilarious faces and reactions. Also, I got the Rarity cover, which cover did everyone else get? 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

I got my copy today and it's a really good comic if you ask me and it has so many good broney related stuff in it. It kinda feel like a real episode. As for when it takes place, I would say a mouth or so after the wedding episode. Maybe even later then that. Also the covers were pretty cool. I ended up buying 2. The one with Pinkie Pie on it and the other one with Twilight on it. Also there are also some other things I like about it. 

Alot of background characters are in it.

Derpy is in it. Muffins to.

One of the Changelings hit's the Derpy one, so her eyes look more Derpy.

The Blues Brothers are in it.

We get to see more of the Changelings. 

The Changelings turn into an army of Pinkie Pie's. Kinda like a certain episode from about a week ago.

Rarity turns Pinkie Pies mane to look like her.

Party Cannon can still be used as a weapon.

Great comic and I can't wait to get the next one. 

Edited by pinkiefan1287

I just read it... somehow. Anyway, it was really amazing, I don't usually read comics but this was really just amazing, every brony should read it if you ask me- the characters are true to themselves, the humor is top-notch and the shoutouts are NUMEROUS. It's also a teeny tiny bit more skewed towards an older audience, but absolutely no charm is lost because of it. I highly, highly recommend it! :D

Hey! Anyone else here go?

The funny thing is I hung out in line for about 2 hours and 45 minutes just to commune with fellow bronies. Didn't even buy the comic, since I am honestly just a fan of the show and some critical Youtube material.

How was your experience? How did you like the Comic? How did you like Andy and Katie?

Posted Image

Edited by Party Cannon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If you want, I can scan and post the pages for ya'll. I have 3 issues and might probably scan and post more once other issues are out.

I highly recommend you don't. Offering the scanned pages for free, for something that's normally bought isn't something the staff is all too keen on providing. Users have posted topics with the entire comic scans before and they've been hidden. I understand trying to share them with people who can't access them, but this the internet, you can find them just about anywhere online if you try hard enough. We simply don't want to have our site here be one of those places :3

I have the issue #1 collection box (all six cover variants) and #2, but I haven't read the story yet (just looked into the books). The drawing style differs a lot from the show, it's kinda less stylized and more naturalistic (relative, compared to the show, now real life). Issue #1 and #2 are called "The Return of Queen Chrysalis I and II", #3 will start a new Twilight Sparkle mini-series.

Hm... don't sure, but when buying them in the comic shop, somehow I had the feeling that people laughed about me... ^^

• 2 weeks later...

With issue #4, the first arc of the comic series has ended. If you've read the whole thing, what did you think of it?

Personally, I loved it! While the ending itself could've used a few more pages, the comic featured great characterization for Chrysalis, and showed us more of what the changelings are capable of. It also gave us a chance to see more of the world, with the Mane Six heading out to rescue the CMC from the Changeling Kingdom.

The art is fantastic, too! Andy Price is a master of expressions, and without the limitations of Flash, he was able to create beautiful backgrounds that trump those seen in the show.

isn't this comic out already?

please tell me if im having dajavu  or something close to that

but really it has been out for a while

Yes, it has. But issue #4 has been released, so the first arc has ended. That's why I'm posting this now, the individual issues are kind of light for discussion.

I'm only up to 2. My local Hot Topic only had 1 and 2, so I guess I'm waiting for 3 and 4.

I've ruled out ordering online, so I'm just gonna have to wait.

I do like it so far, though. Excellent art and stays true to the story.

• 2 weeks later...

(Mod feel free to move if needed not quite sure where comic discussions would go)

Just recently read through the first 4 and micro number 1. I have to say the mainline comics are absolutely great. Could easily see these being adapted to the show if needed. I especially like how they flesh out chrysalis though I don't want to spoil much. Also there's a lot of humor there for bronies especially those of us who are older and know a bit more of pop culture.

As for the micro series I thought it was ok.

It was nothing bad but it felt like a filler episode you'd see in an anime. Not much happens and nothing there really affects anything. Hopefully the later issues aren't like that.