Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A gentleman's philosophy, An unofficial guide to making good posts.

Modphase

Hello Netizens of MLP forums. A couple of days ago, I had an urge to socialize on this wonderful community once again. Now, chances are, you don't even know me. This is entirely my fault, as before I took my leave of absence  I changed my name to Modphase. But now, the truth will be revealed, I am Lil' tokyo. So whenever you see Modphase, it's actually Lil' Tokyo, the name with which many shall ring a bell.

As I said above, I took a leave of absence. Not permanent, no, but I was finding there was less and less time I could spend on the forums, and that there were more exciting things to do. Now, when I began posting again roughly six or seven days ago, I noticed there was something that didn't seem right about them. This quickly became very relevant, so I decided that there needs to be some rules I should make for myself to ensure that my posts are good. When they were finished, I was told that it seemed like a document which could appeal to anyone. Taking this advice, I edited the document a bit, making changes which would appeal to a wider audience. I hope that it helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Always be kind to everyone

Posted Image

2. If you disagree with someone's opinion, agree with one part first, then rebut

3. Never post very personal things (if there's things that you never want to discuss, it's politics and religion)

Posted Image

4. Do not make enemies with people on purpose, make friends

Posted Image

5.(*This step is up to personal preference) I find that it works for me, it may not work for you. Do not post in threads just because you want to attempt to get a lot of posts and brohoofs in, only find threads that you find interesting. (This is very important, as 99% of the time, posts that interest you, you will contribute a lot too, and most likely get brohoofs)

6. Always post with kindness, and a very high level of intelligence. Never make stupid posts. Make posts that are long and informative, give reasons for your opinions, not gibberish. Take time on your posts. If you feel like you're wasting your time making a post, chances are the thread does not appeal to you. I cannot stress this enough.

Posted Image

7. (*Again, another step that is my personal preference) Unless you're feeling like going in the forum games, or forum lounge, then only find posts via the most recently updated posts box. Searching through the thread categories is not only a waste of time, it sucks you into posting in uninteresting threads, and obscures you from the, "eye catching" interesting threads.

8. If someone rustles your jimmies.

Posted Image

a. The first level of rustling is a straight out insult. If someone insults you, my advice would be to rebut in a mature way. For example. “Hey Modphase, you’re an untalented simpleton”. Rebuttal: “I may not be as talented as a myriad of other people, but it still doesn’t mean I’m downright untalented.” No counter insults here. The trick is to, I know it sounds crazy, agree with them, and then rebut. Agreeing with them builds your confidence.

b. The second level of rustling is an insulting joke. If someone makes a joke towards you that you find insulting, PM them about it, that you are offended, why you think it's offending, and that it's all cool but if it happens again then it would be report-worthy

c. The third level of rustling is if someone all out doesn't like you, and in a rare case, is out to harass you. In that case, ignore them, but if they make a very offensive statement report them.

9. (One of the more important rules) Be less serious, have fun, not immature fun, but make a joke when it's okay, don't be so cold all the time. (This may not fit with your personality, but if it does, than this is a good exercise.)

Posted Image

10. Develop friendships. Don't be so distant. Quote peoples posts directly. Not only will you appear to be human, you will also look good as long as long as your post is good.

Posted Image

11. Make "lecture" posts, if it interests you. A “lecture” post is a post in which you state your opinions, theories, or ideas. It is a great way to get respect and brohoofs.

12. Brohoofs. This is a big one. You may strive for brohoofs, which in itself is not a bad thing. It can be, however, depending on how you plan to get them. If you strive too much, it may lead to trouble. So here's the deal, you should do it self-consciously. How do you do this? Make posts that are guaranteed to get at least one brohoof. Not only will this ensure you make a good post, it also helps feed your lust for them in a very healthy way.

Posted Image

13. (*Another personal preference) Go on the general chat thread at least once a day. Not only is it the best place to socialize and make friends on the forums, it's also a great way to get brohoofs (since in the general chat thread it doesn't count your posts but it counts brohoofs)

14. State your opinions more often, in a kind way. It starts a nice, friendly debate.

15. (The most important rule in my opinion), Be a gentleman, or a lady.

Posted Image Posted Image

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed it, and at least got some use out of it. But do remember that it is a guide which was intended to appeal to me.

By the way, I need to mention how good it feels to be back. the site didn't change at all, it's still the pleasant, friendly place I fell in love with.

Edited by Modphase
  • Brohoof 12

I thought this was pretty good. I haven't ever seen anybody break any of these rules, but they're well thought out. Hopefully this will make the forum an even better place.

• Brohoof 1

I forgot to mention one very important thing. If you ever see me gone for a long period of time, I'm just taking another vacation.

"sometimes a cat just needs room to swing. He'll be back."

Popularity has a lot to do with it. I've seen new members post really good posts, and get no brohoofs. Then I see a popular member post the exact same thing and get like 7...

Yeah, I think it's unfair how popular members get a lot more brohoofs than less popular members. Sometimes people make really good posts that get overlooked.

Edited by Champion RD92
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, I think it's unfair how popular members get a lot more brohoofs than less popular members. Sometimes people make really good posts that get overlooked.

Don't know about you, but I've seen many posts from Muffin rank members that get many brohoofs. This community is very good about reputation and I don't see any popularity bias.

i c wut u did thar feld0

Edited by AegisReflector
  • Brohoof 1

I totally agree to these rules and believe everyone should use these. Also I believe that I follow the most of these rules. By the way the gentlemen picture is that frank sinatra?

Yes, that is Ole' Blue Eyes. And right beside him is Billie Holiday. Very amazing singers they were. You don't hear that kind of music nowadays.

I'm listening to him right now, The way you look tonight. My favorite song by him is Irresponsible. Anyway sorry for getting off topic.

Oh it's fine, I'm always open to a discussion about his or similar artists' music. It's always good to know that there's a fellow fan around!

If you're afraid that your post will gone unnoticed, you can always try to include some appropriate images to help emphasize your points VnCRQ.png

13. (*Another personal preference) Go on the general chat thread at least once a day. Not only is it the best place to socialize and make friends on the forums, it's also a great way to get brohoofs (since in the general chat thread it doesn't count your posts but it counts brohoofs)

A small warning, though. General Chat Thread can easily corrode your sanity and change your views on how the world ticks.

If you're afraid that your post will gone unnoticed, you can always try to include some appropriate images to help emphasize your points VnCRQ.png

A small warning, though. General Chat Thread can easily corrode your sanity and change your views on how the world ticks.

So four ain't enough eh? is that a joke about the General Chat Thread, or are you being serious? I've found that it's a pleasant enough place to chat.

So four ain't enough eh? is that a joke about the General Chat Thread, or are you being serious? I've found that it's a pleasant enough place to chat.

Six is better :V

And no, unfortunately I'm not kidding. If you try to frequents GCT and actually like it, there is a good chance you will be rather hesitant to post anywhere else. Not to mention some topics discussed in the thread can be mind-boggling.

• Brohoof 1

Six is better :V

And no, unfortunately I'm not kidding. If you try to frequents GCT and actually like it, there is a good chance you will be rather hesitant to post anywhere else. Not to mention some topics discussed in the thread can be mind-boggling.

There. I did.....a bit more than six. Thanks again for your advice. And I guess I'll have to go...deeper, in the General Chat thread to see if what you said is the truth. But I can admit I know some people that only go there.

Yes, that is Ole' Blue Eyes. And right beside him is Billie Holiday. Very amazing singers they were. You don't hear that kind of music nowadays.

I think it is somehow hilarious that you say Blue eyes because (ignoring my personality) every single thing you said in your list post would be perfect for generating a program that posts exactly as I do.

And me just doing that is how I have among the top 10 highest brohoof/post ratio of any non-staff member. If ever I'm mentioned by other users its to describe me as either intelligent, wise, or that weird guy who uses old man avatars.

The unfortunate trick of the trade for being a personality on the internet is not trying to be some cool person, it's simply being yourself in a polite and well-considered manner. Technical and grammatical competence are just icing on the cake, and if everyone actually behaved like this, the existence of Internet generates would be a byword within the space of a week.

EDIT:

On second thought, if I felt like being pedantic, I'd criticize your use of the word Philosophy, since we are discussing posting etiquette, and not adherence of life purpose, morals, ethics and the thoughts of thought.

Edited by Blue

So... Act like me, basically?

I kid, I kid. I do most of that stuff anyway, but I'd be scared if everybody started acting like me D:

Something is like to add, though. It's more of a personal opinion, but if I'm reading a thread and thinking of things to say, only to find out that everything I would've said has been said by someone else, I'll usually just not post. No need to repeat things that have already been said unless you can add something, or at least put a new spin on it.

I like this...

A lot.

I've been on message boards for a good 8 years now, so all these things are old hat to me by now. Being a good board mate comes down to basically three things: coherence, politeness, and intellect.

On the topic of brohoofs, I haven't really seen any popularity bias. I'm new here and I don't have a problem getting brohoofs. It's just a matter of making a good first impression and keeping that positive impression. With time, popularity and a good reputation come, it's just a matter of earning it.

On another note, I'm kind of glad that this board doesn't show your post count, it takes away the urge to be competitive with your fellow board mates, which is something I've encountered in the past on other boards I used to be on.

Edited by Sky Nomad
  • Brohoof 2

So... Act like me, basically?

I kid, I kid. I do most of that stuff anyway, but I'd be scared if everybody started acting like me D:

Something is like to add, though. It's more of a personal opinion, but if I'm reading a thread and thinking of things to say, only to find out that everything I would've said has been said by someone else, I'll usually just not post. No need to repeat things that have already been said unless you can add something, or at least put a new spin on it.

Yes, making unique, out of the ordinary posts is also important. It stands out from the rest and makes people want to read and debate about it.

EDIT:

On second thought, if I felt like being pedantic, I'd criticize your use of the word Philosophy, since we are discussing posting etiquette, and not adherence of life purpose, morals, ethics and the thoughts of thought.

Well, that is because the philosophy which I follow is that of the Gentleman, so the rules I have put down are based around it.

Here's another idea: forget about accumulating internet back-pats, and just enjoy the company of the other members.

You say that like it's a bad thing. cool.png  If nobody's views ever changed about how the world ticks, that would corrode my sanity.

• Brohoof 1

Here's another idea: forget about accumulating internet back-pats, and just enjoy the company of the other members.

That, my friend, would be a great addition to the rules. Because it is the truth, that as nice as having a lot of brohoofs is, what is more important is that you enjoy yourself. Would you give me permission to add something along those lines?