Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

*SPOILERS* Thoughts on the Alicorn Amulet?

duidamasterXD

It seems fairly straightforward. It amplifies magical ability to an absurd level. But then I thought a little more about Alicorns. They aren't centered on magic, not really. They are rather embodiments of a mixture of the three races. Then it occurred to me that it might have different effects on each race, and it only amplified magic because Trixie is a unicorn.

Might a Pegasus be able to put on the amulet and become an impossibly good flier instantly? And they might also get powerful control over weather, like Storm from the X-Men.

Maybe an Earth pony could toss it on and become insanely strong and get control over plants, like Poison Ivy from Batman or the First Hokage from Naruto.

What do you think, could this be true or does the amulet only work for unicorns?

Also, what do you think would happen if an Alicorn used the amulet (besides the apocalypse)?

• Brohoof 5

I guess if an Alicorn put it on, it would amplify all 3--Flying, magic, and...earth pony strength. I think anypony can use the Alicorn Amulet, when it isn't kept hidden. I'm sure a Pegasus or an earth pony could use it just like a Unicorn.

Definately, it can possess you, that's a true fact if it is used the wrong way as we saw. But it can come in handy in extreme situations.  But really, it is a power up. Maybe since trixie's heart was full of hatred and vengeance, the Alicorn Amuletm was wielding powers of darkess and fear.

• Brohoof 1

There are really only three things I want to add *coughts* 1: WHO IN THERE RIGHT MIND WOULD EVEN THINK ABOUT MAKING SOMTHING THAT AMPLITHIES YOUR ABILITIES BUT MAKE YOU AS EVIL AS QUEEN CRITALIS I MEAN WHAT INSANE UNICORN CAME UP WITH THAT IDEA 2: I think it would work on the other races as well allthough in the episode they dont mention anything about it but maby it was a typo 3: and yes if an alicorn got a hoof on it the entirety of eaquestria would burn and disintegrate in to pony hell.

I for one think that the alicorn amulet may be related to how King Sombra became so powerful long ago.  And i agree with Thunder_Dash, I think that we will see the alicorn amulet again but with a new pony weilding it and using the power for good

WakeMeAtTwilight

Interesting stuff. Since it glowed at the same time as Trixie's horn, makes me think it's just for magic users.

Would be cool if it worked for anyone though. Zecora for S3 final boss? Sure she can make the most out of that thing if it can work on anyone. Sure she's git an evil side Posted Image Would be a laugh.

Edited by Turpow

There are really only three things I want to add *coughts* 1: WHO IN THERE RIGHT MIND WOULD EVEN THINK ABOUT MAKING SOMTHING THAT AMPLITHIES YOUR ABILITIES BUT MAKE YOU AS EVIL AS QUEEN CRITALIS I MEAN WHAT INSANE UNICORN CAME UP WITH THAT IDEA 2: I think it would work on the other races as well allthough in the episode they dont mention anything about it but maby it was a typo 3: and yes if an alicorn got a hoof on it the entirety of eaquestria would burn and disintegrate in to pony hell.

@1.)  Well, there has to be some consequence to using an amulet that increases your abilities the way it enhanced Trixie's.

I'm kind of wondering what would happen if Celestia wore that...

Edited by Prince Dusk

It seems fairly straightforward. It amplifies magical ability to an absurd level. But then I thought a little more about Alicorns. They aren't centered on magic, not really. They are rather embodiments of a mixture of the three races. Then it occurred to me that it might have different effects on each race, and it only amplified magic because Trixie is a unicorn.

Might a Pegasus be able to put on the amulet and become an impossibly good flier instantly? And they might also get powerful control over weather, like Storm from the X-Men.

Maybe an Earth pony could toss it on and become insanely strong and get control over plants, like Poison Ivy from Batman or the First Hokage from Naruto.

What do you think, could this be true or does the amulet only work for unicorns?

Also, what do you think would happen if an Alicorn used the amulet (besides the apocalypse)?

I think that could be either true or maybe if a non-unicorn puts it on either nothing happens to them or they get the ability of magic, just without a horn. I would really like to see what would happen if a non-unicorn did happen to put it on them. But to be honest, I don't really know what would happen if a non-unicorn did put it on? Posted Image

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time that the term "alicorn" is said in the show? I think they just used to say winged unicorns or something like that, but never actually said Alicorn up until now. I guess it's canon now! :D

• Brohoof 2

We have yet to be introduced to any alicorns who aren't 100% lawful good. Yet, clearly this amulet was forged for the purpose of negativity since it's darkish and causes you to become corrupted. Some may argue that the corruption is a result from the power itself, and I suppose I can see that, but the fact remains that the amulet itself, and the red, crackling magic it makes is supposed to give off 'evil' vibes. Ergo, my head canon is once upon a time there was an evil alicorn who made it. That, or it was made by good alicorns and some evil alicorn or unicorn messed with it and made it corrupt people by giving off darkish magic.

At any rate, I'd like to see Celestia have a few words on it. It'd be nice to know more about it.

We have yet to be introduced to any alicorns who aren't 100% lawful good.

Night Mare Moon technically served that role, albeit in a fairly limited capacity. Had she been introduced in the second or third season, her powers would probably have been far more expansive. All things considered, Night Mare Moon was portrayed as more domestic, run-of-the-mill villain.

The introduction of the Alicorn Amulet begs the question: what in the wide, wide world of Equestria is it doing sitting in some shop? It's akin to Odin losing the Tesseract and later having a bunch of Nazis come across it. One would figure Celestia, given her expansive knowledge, would lock that amulet up nice and tight inside Canterlot Castle. Unless Celestia is playing a gambit through the entire season (which she might), such an artifact being on the loose is extraordinarily dangerous. Since the amulet corrupts the user, I cannot fathom what good could come of it.

Season 3 only proves that Equestria is an immensely dangerous world.

• Brohoof 2

Night Mare Moon technically served that role, albeit in a fairly limited capacity. Had she been introduced in the second or third season, her powers would probably have been far more expansive. All things considered, Night Mare Moon was portrayed as more domestic, run-of-the-mill villain.

The introduction of the Alicorn Amulet begs the question: what in the wide, wide world of Equestria is it doing sitting in some shop? It's akin to Odin losing the Tesseract and later having a bunch of Nazis come across it. One would figure Celestia, given her expansive knowledge, would lock that amulet up nice and tight inside Canterlot Castle. Unless Celestia is playing a gambit through the entire season (which she might), such an artifact being on the loose is extraordinarily dangerous. Since the amulet corrupts the user, I cannot fathom what good could come of it.

Nightmare Moon is Luna, so for the sake of the plot, I don't think she really counts.

She probably lost track of it. Wouldn't put it past her. She's not perfect. Things slip under the radar.

She probably lost track of it. Wouldn't put it past her. She's not perfect. Things slip under the radar.

Normally I too would apply Occam's Razor and assert Celestia simply dropped the ball on this one. But there are enough events beginning to coalesce to give one pause.

Celestia could have made a tremendous mistake; or she somewhat intentionally permitted the amulet to slip free, hoping it would end up in the right hooves (or serve a desired purpose); or another force is at work, moving pieces into position.

The latter prospect is rather tantalizing!

@DashForever: First of all, I will simply say that the Alicorn's Amulet was a very cool artifact!!!  The magical objects and locations have been showing up quite abundantly this season, and they've all been very cool and creative!  We've had the Crystal Heart, which channels and amplifies the love of the Crystal Ponies, the Mirror Pool, which creates clones of ponies when they say the correct magical incantation, and now the Alicorn Amulet, which at least amplifies unicorns magic.

However, until you brought it up, I had not considered that it actually might amplify the special talents of every kind of pony, and I think you might be onto something.  Perhaps it was originally designed to be used by a power-hungry alicorn or unicorn, as I imagine it would take a great deal of knowledge and magic to make something like that, but maybe it actually amplifies the special abilities of any species of pony, like you said, be it flying for pegasi or strength/farming ability for earth ponies.  Very interesting theory, and kudos for coming up with it. Posted Image

Again, the magical objects and locations this season have been awesome, and I hope we keep getting more as the season goes on!!!  They've really been nice additions to the world of Equestria and understanding some of its history; for example, the Mirror Pool made it clear that some areas of Equestria are actually naturally magical (which might've been indicated previously, but was most definitely verified by the Mirror Pool).

• Brohoof 2

It has a stupid named IMO. The idea of an amulet is used a lot, but not per sé overused. However they ruined it for me by naming it that and giving it no backstory at all. Me and my friends have been jokingly calling it the OC amulet, because it resembles a black and red alicorn, the avarge retard's OC.

• Brohoof 1

If you take the easy path -- the road to the dark side of the force -- it will take you.  I see the amulet as a piece of the dark side of the force essentially.  Trixie took the mantle of a young sith.  Zecora was Yoda.  Twilight was Luke Skywalker.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time that the term "alicorn" is said in the show? I think they just used to say winged unicorns or something like that, but never actually said Alicorn up until now. I guess it's canon now! biggrin.png

I beleive this is the first time that the term alicorn has been mentioned in the show.  I'm just as excited as you are because i've wanted alicorn to be said forever!tongue.png 

@1.)  Well, there has to be some consequence to using an amulet that increases your abilities the way it enhanced Trixie's.  I'm kind of wondering what would happen if Celestia wore that...
Yes but houldnt the person who made the amulet know it was dangerouse and there destroy it unless it was knit mare knight who made it or discord I think I may ponder this for awhile

I mean pony oops apologies whent non mlp for a moment there sorryAnd this is here because of carachter limit it's a silly thing if you think about it any way I wont take up more of your time

The Alicorn Amulet does corrupt the user, as was said in the episode more than once.  I'm guessing it also keeps them from realizing (or at least caring) about how corrupted they're becoming, because as Trixie informed us, she was consumed by the amulet and didn't really have control over her actions (at least, no moral control).

I'm also guessing that it's called the Alicorn Amulet because it probably has the power of multiple alicorns in it.  And it's probably really, really old.  So it got a generic name, because at the time, it wouldn't have been generic.  Looks all evil and junk.  Most corrupting artifacts are really old.

So, since alicorns in Equestria mainly use magic, the Alicorn Amulet most likely focuses on magic.  Alicorns are bigger (and usually more elegant-looking) than your average pegasus, so they naturally have the amplified wing power; meaning they most likely have high amounts of physical (earth pony) strength as well.  The only thing that they would really need or want to amplify is their magic.  So the AliAmu probably only works on unicorns/alicorns, or, could give an earth pony or pegasus a horn as long as they wear the amulet, as a means to possess and corrupt them.

• Brohoof 1

What if Celestia deliberately placed it there in order for Trixie to find it some day?

I'm bold enough to just flat-out ask that question, but judging from the "Book of Prophecy" you all seem to cling onto from the premiere (shown at the end), I get the feeling that Celestia's chessmaster antics (if you will) plays a big part in here. Perhaps she's developed omniscience that allows her to set the stage for something pretty big, in this case, Twilight managed to snap Trixie out of it and it did well for both of them.

Just a thought. People forget that alicorn has 2 meanings. The original was the material of which a unicorns horn is made. It was only later that alicorn became synonymous with winged unicorns or horned pegasi.  We don't know what the amulet is made of but what if it was the condensed powdered horns from a bunch of unicorns or even from the horns of winged unicorns? Would anyone besides a potentially evil entity even think to do such a thing as this? 

What if Celestia deliberately placed it there in order for Trixie to find it some day?

I'm bold enough to just flat-out ask that question, but judging from the "Book of Prophecy" you all seem to cling onto from the premiere (shown at the end), I get the feeling that Celestia's chessmaster antics (if you will) plays a big part in here. Perhaps she's developed omniscience that allows her to set the stage for something pretty big, in this case, Twilight managed to snap Trixie out of it and it did well for both of them.

mlfw975_1319121504461110.png

It may be some book of prophecy based on how Celestia attempts to manipulate events; or it could be a series of signs/events which are supposed to lead into the return of some big bad. As it stands, way too many pieces are falling into place for the Crystal Heart, evil magic, the Mirror Pool, and the Alicorn Amulet to be mere coincidences.

• Brohoof 1

My thoughts...

When the shopkeeper said the thing is called the alicorn amulet...

My reaction was "was that the first time the word (alicorn) was used in the show?"

Other then that it's probably one of thoes things that will be forgotten and never used again... But you never know