Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash and the LGBT fan perception

Obsidian_Winter

I think this thread has now served it's purpose.

Locking.

• Brohoof 2

• The topic was locked
  • 1 year later...
Just now, heavens-champion said:

Just because she's butch, doesn't mean she can't fall in love with a guy.

That's true, I never said that I did think that. As of now there's nothing proving either way. But I'm saying that's why she comes across that way.

Part of it stems from an unfortunate assumption with many characters. It's often assumed that if you're a tomboy (or the even rarer tomgirl), that means you're necessarily gay. Add to that the fact that rainbows are considered a universal symbol of the LGBTQ community, and you get this perception that Rainbow Dash is gay, with little other actual evidence to support it. The general rule of thumb is something is only officially canon if it's explicitly stated to be so.

Now apparently, there actually is a gay couple in FiM, Aunt Lofty and Aunt Holiday from The Last Crusade:

Image result for aunt holiday and aunt lofty

• Brohoof 2

As others have said, rainbows are often linked to the LGBT community. Due to that and her tomboyish nature, people find it easy to link her to being homosexual.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Cwanky said:

Part of it stems from an unfortunate assumption with many characters. It's often assumed that if you're a tomboy (or the even rarer tomgirl), that means you're necessarily gay. Add to that the fact that rainbows are considered a universal symbol of the LGBTQ community, and you get this perception that Rainbow Dash is gay, with little other actual evidence to support it. The general rule of thumb is something is only officially canon if it's explicitly stated to be so.

Now apparently, there actually is a gay couple in FiM, Aunt Lofty and Aunt Holiday from The Last Crusade:

Image result for aunt holiday and aunt lofty

Edited by heavens-champion

Many people seem to associate her rainbow mane and tomboyish attitude with her being gay, transgender or whatever.

Of course, that isn't right, as the show hasn't revealed her sexuality officially. At this point though I think they just leave it up to the fans to guess/make their own assumptions as to what her sexuality is. 

Thaf being said....in my headcanon, Dash is bisexual. :ph3ar:

• Brohoof 6

37 minutes ago, Flutterstep said:

Because stereotypes have made us believe any tomboy is likely to be gay. There are times I have to remind myself that Rainbow is actually a female. ^_^

That reminds me - A few years ago, I had managed to get a friend into the series. It took up until Season 3 for him to work out that Rainbow Dash was a female, when I told him as such.

Lets put the whole rainbow issue aside. She turned down Zepher Breeze not once but twice. No stallion loving mare would be able to resist his charm. I mean look at him. The hair, the masculine stubble, the no pony can hold me down attitude.

large.png

Just now, Cash In said:

That reminds me - A few years ago, I had managed to get a friend into the series. It took up until Season 3 for him to work out that Rainbow Dash was a female, when I told him as such.

Im still working around smolder being a girl. 

I think others might think she's gay because she acts like a tomboy and I guess of her rainbow colors. Honestly, I don't think she is because it's obvious she isn't interested on relationships, at least right now.

• Brohoof 1