Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash and the LGBT fan perception

Obsidian_Winter

29 minutes ago, Mongo said:

Let me as a parent decide that.

As a parent of two newly minted adults who I helped successfully navigate life growing up, I agree that a parent is extremely an important filter for them. Though, you may want to be a bit less general about that phrase. The way I always applied control is to simply not put content I didn't think my kids should consume in front of them. If a parent doesn't want their children to watch something they feel has a message they don't want their children to consume, the easiest way is to simply use the myriad tools available to parents. Change the channel. Block the channel. Don't buy the digital content or BluRay. That is your control. 

Of course, most of an 11 year-olds interactions are not with the parent. That happens at school with other parent's children who have their own parents exercising their own rights. You can't hide this subject from kids at that age. You could of course homeschool, but to me the easiest way is to simply address the issue in an age appropriate way rather than fruitlessly remaking your own world around one of many divisive issues that this world has swirling around. 

I talked to my kids about same sex couples early on because kids notice the world around them and ask questions. The idea that television is somehow removing the parent's ability to patent is ... well ... laughable. 

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, heavens-champion said:

they were on Show Discussion before.

As TaZe said I merged it. I also moved it to Sugarcube since that is the area that focuses on the fandom. These topics are almost always about fandom interpretations of something not canon, with more of a focus on the people who watch FiM rather than anything that actually has happened in the show. The question being phrased as a fan centric one rather than show focused is why it was moved. To prove my point most of this discussion hasn't pointed out a single moment in the show that signifies why Dash would be a legitimate LGBT icon. It has taken the predictable course talking about the larger issue of LGBT representation in children's programming. 

• Brohoof 2