Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Poorly Cobbled Together IQ Test

Standard User

(I reeeally hope I can post this here...if not, go ahead and lock-and-banish this thread, mods.)

So currently in my Psychology class we are discussing intelligence and IQ tests. After taking a joke IQ test and a "real" IQ test, the teacher assigned us a fun little weekend project: design an IQ test and give it to a variety of friends, families, and pets. He said we could either make up our own questions or use questions from other sources, but the test had to be fairly short. So I made my little fifteen question test and gave it to my mother, who scored four out of fifteen.

...I might have made a few questions a little hard. tongue.png

Anyways. Because my circle of acquaintances is woefully minuscule, I've decided to offer my test to the forums. It shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes of your time, and it would make a high school student very happy. All you have to do is:

1) Open up the "Psych IQ Quiz" document and take the test. You don't need to post your answers, but make sure to keep track of WHAT your answers are.

2) Once you've finished the test, open up the "IQ Test answers" document and score yourself. Please be honest...or not. Not like I will know the difference. wink.png

3) Either post your score out of fifteen or PM it to me along with your age and gender. 

And that's it! Simple, really. And a little disclaimer: I've figured out the teacher's underlying purpose to this assignment, and that is to demonstrate how difficult it is to develop a truly "fair" IQ test. So yeah, this test isn't really fair, but it's still a grade in the grade-book. 

Thanks, forums. I hope you enjoy. wub.png

Psych IQ Quiz.docx

IQ Test answers.docx

I got 10/15. I hate tests like this, as they tend to use ambiguity in communication to make a question harder. All that really does is make it so anyone who doesn't interpret a question in the same way as the writer gets it wrong.

For example, (spoiler for those who haven't taken it):

The apples question. There are two possibilities in that: there are 4 apples, and you take 2 of them giving you 2 apples. Or you have 4 apples, take 2 of them, and you still have 4 because no apples changed hands. I got this wrong because I went with the first situation (because taking things generally implies that you did not own them at first). The month one is similar, although not as bad.

I'm curious as to the reasoning of the last answer. I still don't get it.

Also, the shape question doesn't make you think because the answer is very obvious for reasons other than the one you listed as the answer (although I also noticed that reason smile.png).

Edited by Evilshy

I got 10/15. I hate tests like this, as they tend to use ambiguity in communication to make a question harder. All that really does is make it so anyone who doesn't interpret a question in the same way as the writer gets it wrong.

I one-hundred percent agree; tests like this are bogus. But nevertheless, it IS a grade and I need data, so...

For the explained solution to number fifteen, go here

And yes, the shapes one has a much simpler solution than the "correct" solution. Either answer works. tongue.png

I one-hundred percent agree; tests like this are bogus. But nevertheless, it IS a grade and I need data, so...

For the explained solution to number fifteen, go here

And yes, the shapes one has a much simpler solution than the "correct" solution. Either answer works. tongue.png

Ooooh, an xkcd link. Always makes me happy when I see xkcd at the bottom of my screen when I mouse-over a link smile.png

And maybe the psych teacher is just messing with you guys for some psych reason, because otherwise, he shouldn't be telling you to do this stuff.

Edited by Evilshy

And maybe the psych teacher is just messing with you guys for some psych reason, because otherwise, he shouldn't be telling you to do this stuff.

Would not be the first time, though he promised us that he wouldn't do that anymore. But then again, he is a Psych teacher, so maybe it is all a ploy to see how gullible we are. Either way. 

And considering the class average on the "official" IQ test we were given last week was around 115, I think he wanted to give us an easier assignment.

I got a 13/15. 

Some questions were questionable, but others were well done. All in all, bravo. Hope you get a good grade in psych. 

The language used could probably be clearer.

I got a 13/15. 

Some questions were questionable, but others were well done. All in all, bravo. Hope you get a good grade in psych. 

The language used could probably be clearer.

For some questions I just copy/pasted from other sites (and before I get attacked, yes, the teacher said we could and should do that for inspiration). But you're right, I should have checked the wording. Thanks!