Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fan fiction Afterglow-Introduction

Description/Info:

“Have you forgotten so easily?” The subject asked. “We are you.” “We are the madness that lurks within you all, begging to be free at every moment in your deepest animal mind.” “We are what you hide from in your beds every night. We are what you sedate into silence and paralysis when you go to the nocturnal haven where we cannot tread.”

-Excerpt from the Russian Sleep Experiment Creepypasta

This is the intro to my very first attempt at any sort of fanfiction, it isn't much now but I hope to make something half-way decent out of it.

I was inspired to create a new OC (which is where this fanfic comes in) who is based off of the D&D class of archivist. [link]

Archivists study the evil and the dark reaches of Equestria to protect those around them.

Inspirations:

-Story of the Blank Flanks game- http://shadowysilence.deviantart.com/favourites/47371817#/d3kq34i

-Qoute from said game: "Throughout Equestria relics of the past lay forgotten and alone, never truly resting awaiting recognition."

-The Russian Sleep Experiment Creepypasta [link] (Read at your own risk)

Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Story:

Hello fellow studier of the lost histories of Equestria, my name is Afterglow. Like you, I too am on a quest to find what dark recesses of our fair land hide. Whether in plain sight or hidden from our eyes, they are all around us. From the depths of the Everfree forest to the forgotten swamps, canyons, and the like we must search. We search for the grain of truth hidden in the urban legends, ghost stories, tall tales, and myths of our land.

We archivists, as many call us, know there is another layer hidden beneath our peaceful world. One of death, despair, loss, and fear. A place where souls wander, curses are cast, and dark demons hunt the unwary. Where the madness locked within all of us takes hold, showing its true face in horrible detail. You may ask what of the light and kindly places we see everyday, do they not exist as truly as any else? To that I give you this, do not let the quaint appearances of seemingly less dark locales deceive you, under every meadow lies secret bones and untold stories.

This is not a profession for the faint of heart or the weak of will, know this well. The trials we face are many, for what we seek to learn is what should never be known.

We must be sound in our beliefs, and uphold our sanity lest we join that dark world we are so fascinated with. As a famous pony once said "Battle not with monsters,

lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." We are the ones who must do battle with the monsters, and gaze ever into the abyss.

Many see us merely as collectors of tales and trinkets, but ask any archivist worth his salt and they will tell you otherwise. We are a vital, if small, portion of the Equestrian Historical Society (EHS). We handle the history that most ponies never see, the invisible history of Equestria. With this knowledge we protect the rest of pony-kind. We know the truth, and make sure that other ponies who would rather remain in the happy world they know can stay there.

We are the silent guardians of Equestria, waiting at constant vigil to hold back the tides of darkness seeking to destroy what we love.

-Introduction to The Archivist's Handbook

That was really awesome, the dark setting is really nice especially about the "Hidden layer" Really would like to know more about that.

Also is this intentional or just a mistake? Because either way it sounds pretty good.

"We are the ones who must do battle with the monsters"

That was really awesome, the dark setting is really nice especially about the "Hidden layer" Really would like to know more about that.

Also is this intentional or just a mistake? Because either way it sounds pretty good.

Thanks! The hidden layer is actually an idea I used in an essay I wrote on humanities and philosophy once (people hide the darkness beneath who they appear to be, but with work can become better), I just applied the idea to Equestria as a whole. What exactly were you wondering about it, I could explain more but I wouldn't know where to begin?

That was intentional (if I am understanding your question correctly), he is saying that it is their duty even if it will hurt them in the long run.

What exactly were you wondering about it, I could explain more but I wouldn't know where to begin?

Well, what wanders around there? the souls of dead ones, demons like you have said already but how did they get there, were they created by somepony or was it always there even before the ponies existed. Can they come out of the hidden layer and into Equestria? Are they out to do harm or do they want to live in peace?

I'm really interested in this fanfic to be honest. Can't wait to see more of it!

Well, what wanders around there? the souls of dead ones, demons like you have said already but how did they get there, were they created by somepony or was it always there even before the ponies existed. Can they come out of the hidden layer and into Equestria? Are they out to do harm or do they want to live in peace?

I'm really interested in this fanfic to be honest. Can't wait to see more of it!

Just imagine that every horror story you have heard had some grain of truth to it, from mischievous imps to other worldly horrors (Cthulhu), and mysterious beings (slendermane). Some are more true than others, but they all pose threats to the safety of the world.

They were not created per se, but always existed as a sort of balance to the world. A world that faces so little problems must hide the skeletons somewhere, correct? They exist because happiness, joy, and friendship exists, they cannot be entirely destroyed because they are twisted byproducts of a happier world. Destroying one would destroy the other.

Whenever a pony loses it, goes crazy, they are a conduit for the hidden layer. Their happy existence is cracked, broken, and out pours all the darkness that hides beneath. That is why it is so crucial not to let information of the evil be leaked, if all ponies started to go insane then the darkness would overrun all of Equestria. Most ponies don't go crazy long enough to actually cause major problems (Pinkie Pie), but if left unchecked the results can be disastrous (Story of the Blank Flanks game). It is sort of like the Russian Sleep Experiment creepypasta, within the ponies is locked madness that is kept at bay. It seeks to be free, to consume everything. Another way to go between layers is that sometimes a place is so marked with negativity that it becomes a natural gateway in itself (the Ever-free forest).

The denizens of the hidden layer are not entirely malicious, some only seek to forget about their pain (none of them are happy, most of them are constantly in some state of agony). Others find pleasure in feeling and causing pain, others seem to act on some unknown agenda, and still others have no discernible reason for doing what they do.

I hope that answered your questions without being too long winded! ^_^

Hmm...

I seriously have not seen a fic like this before (Besides Silent Ponyville)

I am thinking that you have played Amnesia before as well?

Because it greatly sounds like it.

That explained it mostly ;)

Sounds like a really interesting story you are working on, any ETA on a new chapter?

I am not really sure when the first actual portion will be coming, I am pretty busy offline but hopefully it won't take too long. :)

Hmm...

I seriously have not seen a fic like this before (Besides Silent Ponyville)

I am thinking that you have played Amnesia before as well?

Because it greatly sounds like it.

I have actually never played Amnesia before (although I have played the Penumbra series), or read Silent Ponyville (I have only read 2 Fanfics up to today).

My only inspirations were the ones I listed above (the creepypasta and the Blank Flanks game). I hope it doesn't sound like I am copying anything, hopefully as I continue (and actually get to) the story it won't sound so much like whatever Amnesia's is.

I am not really sure when the first actual portion will be coming, I am pretty busy offline but hopefully it won't take too long. :)

I have actually never played Amnesia before (although I have played the Penumbra series), or read Silent Ponyville (I have only read 2 Fanfics up to today).

My only inspirations were the ones I listed above (the creepypasta and the Blank Flanks game). I hope it doesn't sound like I am copying anything, hopefully as I continue (and actually get to) the story it won't sound so much like whatever Amnesia's is.

Oh no trust me, Amnesia is beautiful enough to copy.

I just said it sounded like it, not that it is it :P

Oh no trust me, Amnesia is beautiful enough to copy.

I just said it sounded like it, not that it is it :P

lol, well I am glad that it sounds similar to something good rather than something bad. ^_^

lol, well I am glad that it sounds similar to something good rather than something bad. ^_^

Well, Amnesia is a horror game that is trending on the internet for how fucking scary it is.

So what I am saying is, you have a good fic so far.

Don't worry, don't rush it please ;-)

Well, Amnesia is a horror game that is trending on the internet for how fucking scary it is.

And the story line in that game is pretty impressive.

So what I am saying is, you have a good fic so far.

I have heard of some of the craziness in the game, from the videos it looks much freakier than Penumbra ever did!

Thanks! :D

Don't worry, don't rush it please ;-)

I don't plan to, I just hope it comes out sounding as good as it does in my head. :P