Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Format of Fanfics

Zero000

I've been reading a lot of fanfics, and they all seem to look familiar. To be specific, they look like short paragraphs of 4 or 5 lines before skipping a line. I just want to know if that's just a writing thing or if that's something traditional for fanfics. If there is a traditional way, what are the rules? (New line for dialogue, ect?)

While there isn't any set of 'golden rules or guidelines' so to speak regarding the way in which a fanfic or creative writing piece should be set out, there does seem to be a consensus amongst most writers that consistently paragraphed work improves a pieces overall readability and general flow; in particular when multiple time shifts, perspectives, or other such transitions occur within a story, and consequently subdivisions are required to highlight a given change. While there may be some degree of variance between different generes, for the most part you will find a relatively uniform format for creative works, which commonly tends to become more prominent as writers become more experienced.

I have taken various writing courses in college and am currently learning business writing but they all seem to have the same demographics in style.

Technically, a paragraph should have a MINIMUM of three full sentences before it can be considered a paragraph. Paragraphs should also be broken up by a change in thought, NOT because someone thinks it's too long or longer than others. If you're describing scenery and then segue into your character, you start a new paragraph.

Just as well, I have noticed a lot in fan fictions the basic rules of writing and grammar RUINED by people who attempt to write dialogue. It is important to remember that for every person speaking, they each have their own paragraphs. For example:

"Hey, Pinkie Pie!" Rainbow Dash bolted towards the pink pony, swooping down and landing with a graceful flutter of her wings.

"Oh! Hello, Rainbow Dash!"

"You ready to go prank some ponies?"

"Well of COURSE!" Pinkie giggled with a snort, bouncing with anticipation. "I totally have this super-dee-duper idea to prank the pants off Twilight and Spike!"

Etc, etc. ALSO NOTE how I didn't use the whole, "He said, she said" bit that everyone seems to LOVE but is unnecessary. Seriously unnecessary. If you're a good writer, you don't have to constantly remind your audience who is saying what. They can tell by the paragraph change.

It's something newer writers tend to take up, makes it much easier to read in my opinion.

While there isn't any set of 'golden rules or guidelines' so to speak regarding the way in which a fanfic or creative writing piece should be set out, there does seem to be a consensus amongst most writers that consistently paragraphed work improves a pieces overall readability and general flow; in particular when multiple time shifts, perspectives, or other such transitions occur within a story, and consequently subdivisions are required to highlight a given change. While there may be some degree of variance between different generes, for the most part you will find a relatively uniform format for creative works, which commonly tends to become more prominent as writers become more experienced.

I have taken various writing courses in college and am currently learning business writing but they all seem to have the same demographics in style.

Technically, a paragraph should have a MINIMUM of three full sentences before it can be considered a paragraph. Paragraphs should also be broken up by a change in thought, NOT because someone thinks it's too long or longer than others. If you're describing scenery and then segue into your character, you start a new paragraph.

Just as well, I have noticed a lot in fan fictions the basic rules of writing and grammar RUINED by people who attempt to write dialogue. It is important to remember that for every person speaking, they each have their own paragraphs. For example:

"Hey, Pinkie Pie!" Rainbow Dash bolted towards the pink pony, swooping down and landing with a graceful flutter of her wings.

"Oh! Hello, Rainbow Dash!"

"You ready to go prank some ponies?"

"Well of COURSE!" Pinkie giggled with a snort, bouncing with anticipation. "I totally have this super-dee-duper idea to prank the pants off Twilight and Spike!"

Etc, etc. ALSO NOTE how I didn't use the whole, "He said, she said" bit that everyone seems to LOVE but is unnecessary. Seriously unnecessary. If you're a good writer, you don't have to constantly remind your audience who is saying what. They can tell by the paragraph change.

Thanks for your opinions! I'm just working on a really big fanfic right now, and I'm trying to perfect it as much as I can.

Just got done planning, so I'll have the first chapter written today.

Would anyone here volunteer to be my editor? It's nice if I could get someone to go through and proof-read it.