Makeup Tips?

Artemisia

Makeup?  

12 users have voted

1. 1. Do you wear makeup?

• Yes. Always or most of the time.
    • Yes, but not always.
    • Sometimes.
    • Not usually, only every once in a while.
    • No.

Do you lady ponies of the forums wear makeup? How often and what? Any tips?
I do not believe there were any other makeup topics. I just thought it would be an interesting conversation to discuss. And it also came to mind as I enjoy makeup but I am not very good at it and have events in the near future where I would like to be able to wear nice makeup.

• Brohoof 1

Try not to look like a raccoon with the eyeshadow. Please don't try to look like a raccoon with the eyeshadow. If you try to look like a raccoon with the eyeshadow so help me...

I enjoy makeup :wub: 

I don't wear makeup all the time nor do I feel like I have to but I love playing around with makeup and wearing it out and about. I most often wear makeup on the weekends and about 50% of the time during the week.

The best tip I have is a good foundation as a base to even out the skin tone, also google google google! I am pretty limited on makeup knowledge as well but there are lots of makeup tutorials on youtube and I found the easiest first step is to find out what colors work best with your hair color and skin tone, that way you know which colors to buy and which ones to stay away from

no absolutely not  I have a strong dislike of makeup.  I absolutely refuse to wear it.  the only thing that comes close to lipstick that  i will ever use  is lipbalm. because my lips get really dry especailly during the winter.  but please please don't overdo it. i see women over do it all the time, instead of enhancing their features too much make up takes away from their features.

Edited by angels_gal

@Artemisia: Sure, I'll give you some tips.

If you wear mascara, apply it in two thin coats. If you do it all at once your lashes will look, for lack of a better word, "gunky."

When wearing lipstick and lip liner, always do the liner second. If you do it first, it's like trying to color inside the lines of a very small picture, and it looks bad if you get it wrong.

Finally, use mineral powder foundation. It's better for sensitive skin. (Most girls think they have sensitive skin, when in fact only a small percentage do, but still.) Unlike liquid foundation, it won't clog your pores. And it enhances your skin instead of coating it.

BTW, I'm a guy and I only know this stuff because of some makeup research I did for a fanfic I was writing. LOL. B)

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 3

Do you lady ponies of the forums wear makeup? How often and what? Any tips?

I do not believe there were any other makeup topics. I just thought it would be an interesting conversation to discuss. And it also came to mind as I enjoy makeup but I am not very good at it and have events in the near future where I would like to be able to wear nice makeup.

I'm kind of a big deal expert, 

the make-up you wear depends on your eye colour, hair colour and skin tone. 

I can teach you anything. 

I can take a good 15 pounds off your face just with concealer alone.

Ask away darling. 

~

I don't. Just when is the end of the school and stuff like that.

The only tip I can give you is that less is more. Don't make yourself look like a plastic barbie, please. :)

You know those 'natural' looking actresses. They are wearing more make-up than I ever have. It just depends what shades and colours you use.

~

@Artemisia: Sure, I'll give you some tips.

If you wear mascara, apply it in two thin coats. If you do it all at once your lashes will look, for lack of a better word, "gunky."

When wearing lipstick and lip liner, always do the liner second. If you do it first, it's like trying to color inside the lines of a very small picture, and it looks bad if you get it wrong.

Finally, use mineral powder foundation. It's better for sensitive skin. (Most girls think they have sensitive skin, when in fact only a small percentage do, but still.) Unlike liquid foundation, it won't clog your pores. And it enhances your skin instead of coating it.

BTW, I'm a guy and I only know this stuff because of some makeup research I did for a fanfic I was writing. LOL. B)

Mineral powder only works if you have perfect skin to start with. If she wants to go from 'pizza face' to perfect -- liquid.

Also I would advise against ever wearing lip liner. 

And you only have to worry about 'gunky' eyelashes if you use cheap mascara.

~

• Brohoof 2

I'm kind of a big deal expert, 

the make-up you wear depends on your eye colour, hair colour and skin tone. 

I can teach you anything. 

Ask away darling. 

~

Well, I am not very good with eyeliner, any tips on liner would be awesome. What brands of liner and mascara would you suggest?

I am ridiculously blonde and I have blue eyes, my skin is sortof sensitive and can get oily but I don't really get acne or pimples very often only some blackheads on my nose. So yeah. What colors and products do you suggest?

Well, I am not very good with eyeliner, any tips on liner would be awesome. What brands of liner and mascara would you suggest?

I am ridiculously blonde and I have blue eyes, my skin is sortof sensitive and can get oily but I don't really get acne or pimples very often only some blackheads on my nose. So yeah. What colors and products do you suggest?

The curse of the blond eyelashes,

I'm the same way :(. So yes we NEED mascara to keep from looking like children.

For eyeliner - it's just something you have to get use to having on your waterline. Always keep it well sharpened so to not damage your eye and never tug on your eye lids (it creates wrinkles). You can do a full ring(and that includes your upper lid waterline), but that can cause smudging (around the water duct). I suggesting only doing a semi circle (on your outer side) and just stopping in the middle of both your upper and lower eye lid waterline. 

I ONLY use L'oreal carbon black extra-intense eyeliner. Eyeliner is one of those things that can look REALLY bad if it's cheap, so pay up or don't use it (the brand I suggested runs about $8 per stick). Stay away from any shimmer or colourful liners, and if you're buying black -- make sure it's carbon black. You can use brown--but I advise against it. I'm assuming you have big beautiful blue eyes and black makes that pop like you wouldn't believe. 

Next mascara. This really depends on the kind of lashes you have. I have thin-long lashes, so I use L'oreal voluminous million lashes (colour: blackest black). It gives them thickness and looks great. A lot of girls are afraid of clumping so they end up using too little and get these half brown half black thin lashes-- don't do that. With this mascara you don't have to worry about clumping because of the shape of the brush. I probably do about six or seven strokes over the entire lash and the a few more on the outer edge (it's better if those look thicker.) If you have voluminous, but short lashes you'll have to use a length enhancing mascara like Maybelline lash stiletto or L'oreal double extend. Again -- you can use a brown colour, I prefer black though for a more stunning effect. If you do use brown, make sure you are also using brown eyeliner.

**note: do you curl your eyelashes? I advise buying an eyelash curler. I was blessed with natural curled eyelashes--most people aren't. It'll give you a jaw dropping length. 

For your face, use mineral powder-- it's best more for oily skin and stay away from liquid of any sort. Never touch your face too. 

Also only use oil free face products/creams.

Blush is a nice touch (you don't have to over do it), a quick brush on each cheek will give your face a natural glow. I suggest Maybelline's dream bouncy blush (I use peach stain). 

Let's talk lips? Stay away from cheap lipstick (they stick to your teeth and look awful). Lise Watier's lip kiss crayon gloss, never rubs off or sticks anywhere it shouldn't. The problem is it can leave your lips looking a little thin and not luscious so splash some lip plumbing gloss over them or Nivea's fruity shine tinted gloss (it protects your lips against aging and looks great.) Colour is optional, but for very fair skin peaches and pinks are best.

Liquid eyeliner. I'm bringing this up because my daily eye make-up routine (for a non special occasion) is only mascara and liquid eyeliner. You use liquid eyeliner over your eye lid. It takes practice for this, but you need to do a VERY thin line starting from the middle of your upper lid (right on your lash line) and slowly thicken it to the outer part of your eye. You can go cheaper with this product  but I still go l'oreal and only use this in black.

Some extra lips.

The order you should do your make-up:

- Face make-up (powder/concealer)

- Lips

- Blush

- Eye shadow

- Pencil Liner

- Liquid eyeliner

- Mascara

**NEVER USE WATERPROOF ANYTHING**

If you want tips on eyeshadow and contouring -- let me know.

~

Edited by Shankveld
  • Brohoof 3

If you want lips on eyeshadow and contouring -- let me know.

~

Thank you soooo much! And yes please for the shadow and contouring tips!

Thanks for all the good advice, I am kinda lost when it comes to makeup, I do my best but my mom doesn't wear makeup so I don't know much.

Thank you soooo much! And yes please for the shadow and contouring tips!

Thanks for all the good advice, I am kinda lost when it comes to makeup, I do my best but my mom doesn't wear makeup so I don't know much.

My mom died when I was young, I had to learn everything I know just from practice and experimenting. 

When it comes to eyeshadow always go neutral. Don't over do it. Just something to add to the highlight of your eyes.

I go with a nude palette--don't use shimmer unless your in a club. Put a pink colour lightly over your physical lid (using a proper sized brush--one for eyeshadow). Clean the colour off and then put a white colour just under your brow line. The clean that colour off and use a light brown and on your eyelid crease. Start the brush in the middle of the crease and go out (this will make the colour thicker on the outside). My brand of choice for eyeshadow is Almay. 

For contouring you're going to need a powder or concealer two shade darker than the one you use for your face. After you finish putting on your colour as a base; apply the darker colour along your under jawline (not your neck though) and along your cheek bones. Blend the colour with your natural colour for a natural looking shadow. This will thin your face and define your facial bones. Next use the dark colour on the sides of your nose-- and then blend again. This makes your nose look much thinner. If you want to do highlights use a colour two shades lighter (or if your skin is light enough just use your white eyeshadow.) Apply the highlighting colour along the top of your nose right down the 'ski slope' and also right under your eyelids-- focusing on the tear duct eye. This is used to highlight the thinness of your nose and the pop of your eyes. Again you'll have to blend to make it look natural. 

**Also do not touch up your mascara through-out the day--it will cause clumping.

Do touch up your pencil liner and liquid if needed -- it'll need it.

~

• Brohoof 1

I go for a natural look with my make up. Just covering up the blemishes and dark circles under my eyes from sleepless nights. Concealer, powder, slightly lighter-than-skin-tone eye shadow, to brighten it up. That's all we really need. :)  And that's all I know how to use. xD

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

Natural look is the way to go! Do not over-do the eyes, and for the love of god.... Don't coat your waterline in black eyeliner. It narrows your eyes and looks unflattering. I like to put brown (black is too harsh for daytime, IMO) eyeliner only on the outer half of my upper eyelid, and wing it out (until it just passes the crease in my eye... it's less drastic than it sounds). Add a few coats of mascara and your eyes are done. Highlight in the inner corner is optional. I think that's all a girl in middle-to-highschool really needs.

Oh, another helpful tip.. don't pull on your eyelid when applying eyeliner! I know it gives you a "tighter" surface to draw on, but it ages your eyes. Your skin loses elasticity and you get creases at a younger age. Same goes for sleeping with makeup on! I heard that each time you do that, you age 7 days. It adds up.

TL;DR--Don't coat your eyes in black because it looks trashy. Pulling on your eyelid and sleeping with makeup on will age you.

On a side note, sorry for rebirthing this thread. I just needed to vent... it irks me when people go against this.

• Brohoof 1