Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Choosing a Pony.fm "Artist Name"

Twilight Sparkle ✨

While Pony.fm and MLP Forums will use one and the same username and password to log you in, I've been considering allowing artists to choose an "alternative" display name to use on Pony.fm, that differs from their forum name on MLP Forums.

If I add the ability to choose a different display name for Pony.fm, I will most likely add some UI elements to reduce confusion about which user on MLP Forums corresponds to which user on Pony.fm. Here's a quick mockup of one possible way that might look:

Artist Name Mockup.png

FYI, your Pony.fm display name is the name that will be baked into your tracks' downloads as the "artist" tag. This may change in the future depending on demand, but that's the way it's going to be for now.

Is the ability to maintain separate display names for Pony.fm and MLP Forums a feature that you, personally, would make use of, or would you rather keep the same name synchronized across both sites?

Is the ability to maintain separate display names for Pony.fm and MLP Forums a feature that you, personally, would make use of, or would you rather keep the same name synchronized across both sites?

I like the way you have it set up in the mockup - having our actual forum name ("CloudFyre") would give some form of spot in which to ground ourselves, but at the same time, having a secondary artist name (for me, "Drift") would let people know of the link between the creator and the forum member.

I know that when I post music and such, I have a different standard. On the forums, I tend to be a bit more laid back, but when in a "music mode" so to speak, I tend to lean towards a greater sense of professionalism. I guarantee that if anyone looked at my music profile on Facebook and my forum profile here side by side, they would see no correlation whatsoever. Having that secondary artist name could be a form of "insider information" for anyone who happens to visit the forums, and should they stumble upon a favorite artist that wanders the threads here, they may be lead to register just to interact with that person.

tl;dr: Secondary "artist names" are both 1) handy for individual clarification and 2) a possible way to draw attention to the Forums. (It could also serve as a "heads up" for others that a user writes music. If only FM artists have the name banner, then it would be a rather rare sight to see, sparking a "Hmm, what's this?" moment. All in all, it could act as an advertisement to help boost their view counts.)

• Brohoof 1

I like the way you have it set up in the mockup - having our actual forum name ("CloudFyre") would give some form of spot in which to ground ourselves, but at the same time, having a secondary artist name (for me, "Drift") would let people know of the link between the creator and the forum member.

I know that when I post music and such, I have a different standard. On the forums, I tend to be a bit more laid back, but when in a "music mode" so to speak, I tend to lean towards a greater sense of professionalism. I guarantee that if anyone looked at my music profile on Facebook and my forum profile here side by side, they would see no correlation whatsoever. Having that secondary artist name could be a form of "insider information" for anyone who happens to visit the forums, and should they stumble upon a favorite artist that wanders the threads here, they may be lead to register just to interact with that person.

tl;dr: Secondary "artist names" are both 1) handy for individual clarification and 2) a possible way to draw attention to the Forums. (It could also serve as a "heads up" for others that a user writes music. If only FM artists have the name banner, then it would be a rather rare sight to see, sparking a "Hmm, what's this?" moment. All in all, it could act as an advertisement to help boost their view counts.)

This.

All of this,

Because I'm too lazy to say it again.

Honestly, I think the ability to have a separate display name would make it so much easier for people in the long run. Sure it has potential to be confusing, but ultimately you can still give people a choice in the end if they wish to change or stick to their forum name, correct?

Basically what Cloudfyre said. But also with a hint of Silver Arrows' suggestion about the Artists having the choice whether or not they should show their alternative display names.

My case, for example. I will use Arkane both here on the forums and at Pony.fm so I *might* not need an alternative name. It would be awkward to see my username with an aka with the same name.

"Arkane a.k.a. Arkane"

lol.. a bit awkward for me.

• Brohoof 1

I agree 

Basically what Cloudfyre said. But also with a hint of Silver Arrows' suggestion about the Artists having the choice whether or not they should show their alternative display names.

My case, for example. I will use Arkane both here on the forums and at Pony.fm so I *might* not need an alternative name. It would be awkward to see my username with an aka with the same name.

"Arkane a.k.a. Arkane"

lol.. a bit awkward for me.

^ That, in essence.

But really, in order to get a site like PFM successful, people are going to have to be able to customize everything as much as possible - after all, a person's artist page should reflect as much as possible about their artist. Everyone should be able to be unique.

Also, I'm guessing there are plently of people who would like to be called something as a person (MLPF) and something different as an artist (PFM)

the Phony Brony