Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

1,000+ Volunteer for One-way Trip to Mars

A Blithering Div

In short, a non-profit Dutch organization known as Mars One Received over a thousand "volunteer" emails pertaining to a one way trip to Mars. Funding for such an endeavor is expected in the form of donations and my personal favorite "and by creating a reality show-style 'media event' around the training and selection of its astronauts."

Sauce

Provided this actually happens, this would accelerate a human mission to Mars by at least 7 years (last figure I had from NASA was 2030). As this is still in its infancy, not really much is known. However with an expected launch year of 2023, I'd say they have plenty of time provided funding is a non issue. I for one, am stoked.

• Brohoof 2

post-6104-0-39340300-1354799737.jpg

Fortunately, it looks like I won't have to.

In all seriousness, this looks quite interesting. Something I would likely volunteer for if I hadn't begun to enjoy my life here and sought to leave permanently. Space travel is something I've always wanted to do, and still want to do, but freedom to plot an itenerary is a must.

inb4 atmospheric re-entry to America will require passing through an orbital TSA checkpoint.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, we shall find the Prothean ruins on Mars, and our technology will instantly advance by 1,000 years. My dream of living in the Mass Effect universe will finally be realized.

I-I-I was gonna say that!

You bully!

Anyways, it'd be pretty spectacular to actually get humans on our big neighbor out there. I mean, this earth's pretty close to capacity. The nearest planet may not be such a bad idea.

• Brohoof 1

I saw this a couple of months ago and was instantly interested. Since my aspirations are already to become an astronaut and go into space, I would love to go with Mars One. They probably won't take teenagers without any training, however...  :(

I would colonize Mars. I would go there in a minute.

I would learn whatever skills that wanted me to learn, and I would help build a new world.

minecraft all the way......but there's no trees, so you can't make any sticks so you can't make pick axes! Life is over as we know it. Noooooo! Well just for about 1000 of us.

I'd rather try to establish things on the Moon first, resources, especially Helium-3 would be valuable. It could also be a test bed for future endeavors to other planets, such as Mars, we're going to need it.

Edited by DeltaTangent

(edited)

I'd rather try to establish things on the Moon first, resources, especially Helium-3 would be valuable. It could also be a test bed for future endeavors to other planets, such as Mars, we're going to need it.

That would be much more of an engineering feat than many realize. Massive temperature extremes. No atmosphere. Very low gravity. Lethal dust and large amounts of ionizing radiation. In comparison to Mars, the Moon is far more deadly. However if something were to go wrong on the Moon, a return trip to Earth is feasible. It also costs less to go to the Moon. Mars on the other hand, would be easier to settle as it doesn't have the temperature extremes. There's not quite as much ionizing radiation (except UV). It has an atmosphere which while unbreathable, provides some barometric pressure. Mars also has a stronger gravitational force than the Moon and useable water in the form of ice caps.

And because why not:

Edited by A Blithering Div