Youtube and the death of user created content

khaine21x3

Your view on the current youtube  

73 users have voted

1. 1. Does it suck now?

• yes
    • no
    • other

I don't mind the new layout but I do hate the massive white space on the right side of the screen. Why they couldn't just center the content instead of having it all grouped up on the left side I don't know...

• Brohoof 4

Well I hate the new layout

I mean wtf is all the shit doing to the left?

ssrhpp.png

Though I don't care what they've changed about the front page or subscriber things. Just fix that damn layout.

• Brohoof 8

Do you mean that only videos by partners are listed in featured videos and the such? Or do you mean uploads?

I haven't fooled with the new youtube yet, so I don't really know.

However I don't really like how the youtube layout is changing, it doesn't feel like its changing for the best its getting more annoying to get to my subscriptions.. :/

But i dunno, I just watch my subscriptions and ocationally watching other random things. I think that youtube like any other company will probably try to push the stuff they're paying for though.

I hate Youtube now; it's not so much the layout, as the stupid commercials and ads that you can't avoid!!!  If I want to see government, I go on the news, if I want commercials, I watch Television.  Give me back my classic YouTube...

• Brohoof 5

I know not to use a google account for searching google or watching youtube videos coz it tracks what you search and sells the psychological profile info to corporations and governments.

I don't get the white layout coz I don't sign in to an account

AAAHHHHHHHHH THE WHITE!!! IT'S BURNING MY EYES OUT!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA---

*ahem*

It would be okay if not for the space. Seriously guys. It isn't that hard. Also a lot of the features from the previous version (The ability to toggle only seeing uploads comes to mind) are missing.

I think it's changing so constantly so Google has an excuse to keep so many employees at minimum wage (what chain stores do).

• Brohoof 1

I hate that when you view a video the title is UNDER the video, not above it like it used to be. Plus the fact that you now have to go to "my subscriptions" then you have to click "uploads only" just to see uploaded videos and not comments.

The recommended videos section is really annoying me too, if I wanted to see new content, I'd search for it. Plus it's so white, it's so hard to use at night.

• Brohoof 4

I don't mind any of the changes, it's nothing to big to me unless you weren't on youtube for 5 years or something, then there might be a problem, but even that long from being on youtube shouldn't be much of a problem, it's like me where I haven't played simcity 4 in about a year or 2, I still remember a lot of things about the game to where I can figure things out easily.

Edited by Simcity11100

Is anyone else getting a problem loading videos on YouTube? Its been doing it for little under a month now. I've swapped out two routers and it still does it. Tried different browsers. Running the latest version of Flash. (Tried stable and beta) Even down graded Flash to a version I used in the past which I know that it didn't happen on! But now it does... It does it on my Windows 8 Laptop aswell as my PC running Windows 7.

Click a video or playlist, select quality usually the highest possible. Fullscreen the video. Now sometimes it won't start buffering and it freezes altogether and I have to move the slider to another part in the video to get it to start working again. But if it does start to buffer normally still I get a very annoying bug where the video will stop buffering and it will display as if the whole video has fully loaded even though it hasn't. It's driving me insane... in the membrane. <_<

I hate Youtube now; it's not so much the layout, as the stupid commercials and ads that you can't avoid!!!  If I want to see government, I go on the news, if I want commercials, I watch Television.  Give me back my classic YouTube...

*cough cough* adblock *cough cough*

Anyways, although I don't COMPLETELY despise the new layout, I definitely have some gripes with it. The right side of my monitor feels naked and the new homepage is meh. Also, WHY WOULD YOU PUT THE TITLE OF A VIDEO UNDER THE ACTUAL VIDEO AND CRAM IT IN WITH EVERYTHING ELSE DOWN THERE? WHY? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY-

On the bright side, uploader/commenter avatars are now visible on video pages, which is nice. I'm also glad they didn't really touch the channels themselves at all.

• Brohoof 3

you know this would bother me, if i ever used the youtube homepage. i have done that in ages i go strate to subscriptions like a sane person would... and i'm not even sane

I hate the layout now. And Youtube has always been pushing their partners products into your face with force, but they used to be more subtle about it. 

It's gotten to the point where I think I'll just go to other streaming sites rather than tolerate the orwellian style brainwashing.

It's gotten to the point where I think I'll just go to other streaming sites rather than tolerate the orwellian style brainwashing.

If you're that weak against the power of suggestion the internet isn't particularly the best place you could be. It's not like there are many places on the internet that aren't trying to get you to buy something.

It seems that it's only possible to find channels of youtube partners now from the main page

Well, I'm screwed, unless YouTube up and decides that people can become YouTube partners without monetizing their stuff. I do pretty much nothing but derivative works on my channel, and I refuse allow anyone to profit from that that doesn't have to.

I actually love the new layout. It's a refreshing change and it's nice to be able to have your other search results whenever you click on a video right there while you're watching a video. As for the "white space," this seems to mainly be an issue on high-resolution screens. This computer (1920x1080) has this issue (it's annoying,) while my older laptop (1280x768) does not. I hope that they are able to find some use for the extra space. For example, they could move comments over there instead of below the video so that a viewer can watch a video while viewing comments - just like the tablet version of the Youtube application. 

And as for the homepage itself: yes, Youtube does only seem to promote its partner channels. However I would still think that the majority of user simply search for what they're looking for, much like many google users do. As much as I'd like to see youtube go ad-free again, I'd imagine the power requirements for running the youtube servers is a tremendous drain on monetary and environmental resources. Gotta pay the power bill somehow.

Edited by RagingTwilight
  • Brohoof 3

The new layout is practically KILLING me. With the giant blank space, and pretty much most of the new changes. The one thing I do think is a (small) imrprovement is the fact that now you can look at someones avatar when they comment.. But that's still sort of useless. :L

Edited by Calirolls
  • Brohoof 1

The new layout is practically KILLING me. With the giant blank space, and pretty much most of the new changes. The one thing I do find useful thought is the fact that now you can look at someones avatar when they comment.. But that's still sort of useless. :L

Yeah you can tell now if someones a Brony if they have a pony avatar. That is a nice thing. But I don't like the placement of the thumbs up and down button on users comments...

Yeah you can tell now if someones a Brony if they have a pony avatar. That is a nice thing. But I don't like the placement of the thumbs up and down button on users comments...

I agree. The whole thumbs up/thumbs down  a comment thing sort of got annoying. Cause then you had people who would always be like ''OMG THUMBZ UPZ LOLOLOL''.

• Brohoof 1

It's just a tool for government to promote certain ideas and censor all that doesn't fit into the status quo, they use the same tool as the 4 chan kiddies.

• Brohoof 1

White space: Press ctrl + on your keyboard once or twice and it's gone.

Adds: ADD BLOCK FUCK YEAH.

Layout is still awful though. I especially hate the fact that I can't flick through the users videos above the video I'm currently watching like I used to. It made my life easier when I was listening to a band/artist.   :mellow:

Also, why isn't the video centered when I make it bigger?

The aesthetic design is awful as well, it looks like the Tate Modern farted on it.

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 1

*cough cough* adblock *cough cough*

But... adblock disables support for youtube partners. And if they don't get money they can't make a living. And if they can't make a living then :(

*cough*use flashblock instead *cough*

Edited by Firebolt
  • Brohoof 2

Pros:

1) It looks organised.

2) I like the guide on the left hand side.

3) We can finally see pictures! Yay!

Cons:

1) I can't delete videos from a playlist while watching a playlist. Watch Later has become extremely agitating.

2) Can't scroll the comments.

3) I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING!!!

4) It was fine the way it was before...