66 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

• 1 month later...

I've seen this episode,and I noticed a few things.

*Rarity"s & Sweetie Belle's mom sounds simular to The Nanny's Fran Deschier

*If their mom has been giving SB cooking lessons,then she is probably a terrible cook as well.

*Did anyone notice Rarity's parody of Gone with the Wind's Scarrlett O'Hara?

• 1 month later...

*Did anyone notice Rarity's parody of Gone with the Wind's Scarrlett O'Hara?

Most definitely. It was hard to miss since it was almost repeated verbatim by Rarity. Not the most subtle of references, but it very much suits Rarity's melodramatic demeanor.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

so far, Sisterhooves Social was the only pony episode that ever made me want to cry... and not just because Sweetie Belle is my favorite of the CMC. I understand how out-of-control a fight with a sibling can get.......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I must say, this episode kind of started off on a bad note for Rarity however, it got much better as it progressed, that being said, I really loved the way Applejack and Rarity swapped places at the beginning of the race, that was quite clever

This was defiantly one of the most touching episodes, for I didn't expect Rarity to get muddy. She must of really loved her sister.

Didn't notice the eye change till I rewind however, now I have to pay even more attention to the show  :ph34r:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How did Applejack hold her breath the entire race?

She's Applejack.

That pretty much sums it up!

Anyway, this was just hilarious! I found it touching how Rarity was able to go through a mud puddle for Sweetie Belle...

• Brohoof 1

She's Applejack.

That pretty much sums it up!

Anyway, this was just hilarious! I found it touching how Rarity was able to go through a mud puddle for Sweetie Belle...

Yes. Applejack she is.....

You. Must. Strive. Like. Applejack.

BTW, I'm guessing you're favorite pony is Rarity? Or is it one of the pegasi, judging from your signature?

Strange, I watched this episode again today for some reason. I really like this episode though. It was very heartwarming and the humor was good.

Also, Rarity's parent's voices were awesome.

BTW, I'm guessing you're favorite pony is Rarity?

O.o (puts on dumb face) HOW did you KNOW?!?!?!

Yes, my favorite pony is Rarity. Fluttershy is in a close second though, and the others tie for third!

O.o (puts on dumb face) HOW did you KNOW?!?!?!

Yes, my favorite pony is Rarity. Fluttershy is in a close second though, and the others tie for third!

Heh, heh. Sorry. derpy_emoticon2.png

I if you wanna know my favorites, from the mane 6 it is a tie between Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Twlight.

Not a big fan of Rainbow, Rareity or Applejack, even though AJ is pretty epic.

But outside of the mane 6, Luna (oh yeah) and Zecora.

(edited)

I was watching "Sisterhooves Social," and I realized that I have some things in common with Sweetie Bell.  It seems like every time that she tries to do something nice for Rarity, it ends up causing a problem.  Like when she ruins Rarity's sweater.  Sometimes I feel like my life is like that.  And I also know what it is like to want to spend time with someone who is always too busy for you. 

Edited by Shawn Parks

• 3 months later...

I really like this episode, once again my favorite duo Rarity-Applejack, with their sisters in addition. I understand well both Rarity ​​and Sweetie Belle. I know how it is when younger siblings despite the best intentions, only causing trouble. Also, my older brother gave me a lot of pain so that I also dreamed about "changing" him to another.

What Rarity has done is a very beautiful example of sacrifice in the name of sibling - she has done something unbelievable - she got dirty, which is something she really hates :). I have to admit that I also didn't notice a different eye color, but after a while I was sure that is Rarity. Not only because I expected that from the plot, but I also noticed that in some scenes from her hat something is sticking out that looked like a muddy horn.

• 2 months later...

"Sisterhooves Social" is the last of the homeruns that we got at the beginning of Season 2; I consider these first five episodes to be among some of the best in MLP canon for varying reasons.  Each one made their own unique contributions to the show, from starting the season off with a bang, introducing a new format or character to the show, and/or adding to or expanding upon the MLP universe.  "Sisterhooves Social", while definitely the most normal episode out of these first five, qualifies as a classic for one big reason: it was the first episode of MLP to really follow the new formula for learning friendship lessons first introduced in "Lesson Zero".  Sure, Princess Celestia may have told Twilight in that episode specifically that any of her friends were to report to her from then on whatever lessons they learned on friendship, and only when they learned them, but "Sisterhooves Social" was actually the first episode in which Twilight was not involved with the friendship lesson/report in any way, shape, or form.  Obviously this little detail isn't the only thing that makes this episode work so well, so let's look at everything that does.

Well first of all, the fact that family is at the center of this episode really is quite interesting.  In Season 1, aside from the fact that we learned which ponies were related to who, family was really never a focus of any episode.  Every friendship lesson learned was usually gathered as a result of non-familial interactions and relations, usually between the Mane 6 or the CMC.  This episode however gave us the first lesson ever picked up between family members in the show, siblings to be specific.  Rarity and Sweetie Belle are the focus of this episode, and I really like that those two (the older, refined fashionista and drama queen along with her precocious, spunky, energetic, and adorable little sister), who really don't seem to have anything in common were the focus of the episode.  It showed that not only were Twilight's friends going to be more invested in future friendship lessons, but also that they would not just be limited to learning lessons between themselves, but also family members.  Those are important lessons, because friendship is a part of family relations just as much, if not more even, than it is a part of any relations one has outside of his/her family, but also, friendship between family is very different in many ways as well, so the fact that Studio B decided to progress to tackling family relations thematically impresses me very much.  From this point forth in the show, family could just as easily be the focus of attention of an episode as non-familial, friendly relations could be, and often has been.  So, just what do Sweetie Belle and Rarity learn that's so important?

Well, I guess I'll start by covering Sweetie Belle.  For starters, she doesn't really learn a lesson in this episode; really, from the very beginning she's pretty much got everything figured out.  Sure she makes plenty of mistakes, but her heart is in the right place from the get go; she just wants to spend time with her big sister while she gets to stay at her place while their parents are on vacation (as an aside, I absolutely LOVE their parents!!!  I still bust a gut every time I hear those delicious, cheeseheaded Wisconsin accents that I am all too familiar with in my own family coming out of Rarity and Sweetie Belle's mom and dad!!  TOO GOOD!!! img-1928998-1-img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png).  Anyways, back to Sweetie Belle.  Besides the fact that she doesn't really need to learn a lesson, what else do I admire about her?  Well for one, this episode easily sealed the deal that Sweetie Belle is hands down the cutest member of the CMC.  Between her squeaks, quirky and adorable mannerisms, and just... well, everything about her, there is quite literally NOTHING that is not cute about Sweetie Belle.  She is quite simply cute incarnate; perhaps her sensei was Fluttershy? img-1928998-2-e9FkmL5.png  Aside from that, she's funny as usual, the fact that she's the first CMC besides Apple Bloom to be the focus of an episode is pretty noteworthy, and it's nice getting to learn more about her here and see her fleshed out into more of a 3-dimensional character rather than remain a supporting member to Apple Bloom's obvious leadership of the CMC.  Sweetie Belle gets a thumbs up from me for knocking it out of the park with a D'AAAWtastic debut starring role!

Next, we'll cover Sweetie Belle's costar, Rarity.  Now, let me start by saying that I have a love-hate relationship with Rarity's starring roles in Season 2.  Don't get me wrong, she's the same ol' hilarious, over-the-top, fashionista and drama queen we'd all come to know and love in Season 1, and plenty of times she displays the traits we'd grown to love her for whenever she shows up in a starring role.  The difference is that, whereas in Season 1 she won us over whenever she was in a starring role as a generous pony who was competent, kind, and had her heart in the right place, in Season 2 whenever she's in a starring role, well... she's kind of a jerk at times!  I'll have more to say about that in my review of "Sweet and Elite", but it's really jarring here just how bad she is for so much of the episode at being a good sister!  Rarity's the only one here who really needs to learn a lesson, and man oh man does it take forever for it to get through to her!!!  She has a terribly difficult time accepting that she needs to compromise in how she spends her time with Sweetie Belle (after of course she finally figures out that she should spend time with her), and it's just plain frustrating seeing as how she was so likable in Season 1!!!  I guess it's not entirely unrealistic seeing as there's quite the age gap between her and Sweetie Belle and they might not be the closest of sisters, seeing as she seems to have moved out of the house some time ago, but still, I expected better out of Rarity than this.  The only redeeming factor for her is that she learns her lesson real well and ultimately redeems herself pretty much entirely in that last 5 minute segment at the Sisterhooves Social, but still, for the first 3/4 of the episode Rarity often comes across as uncharacteristically insensitive.

YOU'VE BEEN AN OOC JERK, THAT'S WHAT!!! img-1928998-3-angry.png 

Alright, now that the two obvious costars of the show are out of the way, let's cover the third star of this episode who probably shines the most out of any of them: APPLEJACK!!!!!!!!!

img-1928998-4-applejack__oh_really_now_b

That's right sugarcubes, ah'm the star!

OK, AJ may not be the star of this episode per se, BUT as I said, she shines more than really anypony else in this episode, especially when you contrast her to Rarity.  In the course of this episode, she (1) consoles Sweetie Belle in the middle of her chores and spending time with her own little sister when the filly is distraught over Rarity's ignoring her to the point that Sweetie Belle wants to adopt AJ as her new big sister (which is hilarious img-1928998-5-happy.png), (2) teaches Rarity the lesson of the episode about how, as Sweetie Belle's big sister, she has to understand that being a good sibling is a give-and-take relationship (with an apple pie metaphor appropriately enough, also hilarious img-1928998-6-happy.png), and (3) helps hatch and execute a plan with Rarity to win back Sweetie Belle's affection for her friend (and apparently those two have lungs of steel because they BOTH were in that mudhole for ages!!! img-1928998-7-blink.png).  IN ADDITION to all of these positive traits, Applejack also proves herself to be an extraordinarily good sister to Apple Bloom; now, this probably can largely be attributed to the different circumstances surrounding her own relationship with her sister and Sweetie Belle and Rarity's.  Given that we now know that it is pretty much unspoken canon that AJ's parents are dead, we can assume that AJ has functioned for a long time as a parental figure for Apple Bloom alongside Big Mac and Granny Smith, and an important one at that as she's the closest of the Apples in age to AB in their immediate family.  This is probably the biggest reason that AJ is so gosh darn mature in the episode, but it doesn't change the fact that she's leaps and bounds ahead of Rarity at the start of this episode and plays probably the biggest role in teaching her good fashionista friend a valuable lesson.  Not much more else to say other than Applejack absolutely rocks and proves herself to be probably the best sister on the show and one of the most mature ponies to boot in this here episode.

Well, that about does it for this review.  Aside from the problems I have with how long it takes Rarity to learn her lesson, this is a fantastic and fun episode and did make some important, notable strides for MLP as I mentioned earlier, largely in just how the entire episode was executed.  It's a fun one to rewatch and I highly recommend it to any brony and pegasister out there! img-1928998-8-biggrin.png

img-1928998-9-7440__safe_rarity_sweetie-

"How are we apple pie again?"

"I have no idea Sweetie, blame Applejack, after all, she's the one who came up with the simile."

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Batbrony

You are aware that Rarity had little patience for Sweetie because she had a lot of work to do and was not expecting Sweetie to drop by right? Hence why she became much more easily frustrated with Sweetie. And even then it was only after several times of her screwing up.

There's the reason why she was being a jerk in this ep (she was not in S&E but you can read that one in that thread).

And even then she regrets it hard and fast.

I sort of agree with regards to the "should have known to spend time with Sweetie" but I also think that it's a little silly when it's a conflict that was fabricated purely to be resolved by this episode. And it seemed to be specific to getting dirty in uncouth activities rather than generally not wanting to do things with Sweetie.

I know you said it took her forever but I disagree since it simply followed the natural progression of the 22 minute episode.

I agree that it is underwhelming that she only has two eps in S2 and neither of them use her good qualities as a focus, but the issue is simply that she was left underused.

Also, on a more general note.

>Sweetie's costar

Other way around. Rarity started the conflict, resolved the conflict, grew as a character and is primarily who we talk about when we talk about this ep.

Sweetie had some more screen time yes, but AJ wasn't the focus of TLR but it is still about her.

So there is no justifiable reason I can see to say this is Sweetie' ep over Rarity's.

Edited by Whatevs

• 3 weeks later...