LyraHeartstrings

66 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I'm gonna say it. This has been the best episode of season 2 (and season 1, arguably). Very good, and very believable characterization in this episode for my two favorite ponies. And we also got a fairly big portion of Applejack, too.

• Brohoof 3

Did anypony tear a little bit when rarity actually took a good look at the picture sweetie belle made her?

Yes, lol.

What an awesome episode. Loved every minute of it. :3 Sweetie Belle is even moar cuter than I thought.

• Brohoof 1

Another nice thing about this episode was that it had 2 of the 3 CMC and not one of them said a word about getting a cutie mark. So the CMC are capable of not being all "OMGCUTIEMARKCUTIEMARKCUTIEMARK" when the episode focuses on them.

• Brohoof 3

Another nice thing about this episode was that it had 2 of the 3 CMC and not one of them said a word about getting a cutie mark. So the CMC are capable of not being all "OMGCUTIEMARKCUTIEMARKCUTIEMARK" when the episode focuses on them.

Didn't sweetie belle mention it in the start, or was that the parents ? ._.

After the first four episodes, which were great but definitely a bit on the rambunctious side, I found this quieter one a nice change of pace, with a focus on developing the relationship between Rarity and Sweetie Belle rather than wowing us with pseudo-3D animation effects and bombastic action. Don't get me wrong - I love my chocolate milk grenades as much as the next guy, but episode 5 harkened back nicely to the earlier episodes of the first season where the mane 6 were trying to warm up to each other for the first time.

Notably, we also finally got to see Rarity's parents.

Rarity\'s Parents.jpg

Of course, we didn't get any names for them, but that doesn't stop us from speculating a bit about who they are. Father appears to be an earth pony football player, but mother's a little more difficult to judge as her cutie mark is hidden by her pants. They both look reasonably well off, though. I'll leave further discussion to the Parents & Families topic, though.

Like many of you, I'm also disappointed that we didn't get a new song for the fifth time. If we're really supposed to get 15-20 of them this season, they're going to have to start placing a song into almost every single remaining episode.

But great ep. overall. I enjoyed it more than the last two, to be honest.

Did anypony tear a little bit when rarity actually took a good look at the picture sweetie belle made her?

I sure did. :(

• Brohoof 5

I have to agree that this felt more like one of the episodes season 1 had, with it's slower and more calm pacing. While episodes 1-4 feels like the proving grounds for a newer, more dare-daring direction of the show, episode 5 really is a nice breath of fresh air amongst the insanity of Twilight being tardy, Discord throwing exploding chocolate milk about, and Luna screaming... err, very, very audibly addressing her subjects with the traditional Royal Canterlot voice. Next episode seems to be more insanity brewing, though.

• Brohoof 1

This episode is so good for so many reasons... which I will list below in Chronological order.

• It's about my favourite pony and my second favourite CMC.
  • Rarity & Sweetie Belle's uncouth parents.
  • Rarity owns socks. SOCKS! Ponies in socks is canon!
  • Sweetie Belle crawling around on the floor with only her hind legs.
  • Burnt juice and liquid toast... that's also burnt.
  • Rarity freaking out.
  • Uncouth.
  • Apple Bloom belch.
  • Stinkin' Thinkin'
  • Dat "silly little arts and crafts project" moving Rarity to tears.
  • Uncouth.
  • Hatless Applejack.
  • Granny Smith.
  • Get to see some background ponies' sisters.
  • Rarity actually gets dirty.
  • Uncouth.

All that and still no song. :huh:

Edited by Apple Bloom
  • Brohoof 3

This episode made me smile multiple times. For instance, I did not know you could burn juice, or liquify toast. And literally in one serving! :blink:

The tacky start of Rarity's day with Sweetie Belle cooking for Rarity to start off her "fabulous" day pretty much set up the theme of the episode. Their parents were byfar distinct from Rarity, a very elegant pony with her father appearing a little slick and rowdy and her mom round and pink! With Rarity's parents appearing a little less refined then their elegant eldest daughter, I wonder where or how she wound up being so eloquent and standardized.

Rarity, next to Applejack, is the most stubborn and stuck in her own ways. She won't directly acknowledge her own wrongs or further miscommunications with her younger sister, who's help in her opinion posed more as a burden initially until she began to reexamine her own actions.

Overall I agree with Twilight Sparkle in the comments above, I liked that this episode focused more on bonding and relational struggles than center piecing zany behavior, though I did find al lot to laugh at. Especially when Rarity asked, "Applejack. Why'd you have to be so good and make me look so bad?"

Edited by Akaraah
  • Brohoof 1

Overall, great episode. The ending sure surprised me a bit, but when I watched it the second time through it was a lot more obvious. AJ has green eyes, but clearly it was Rarity and her dark blue eyes who was covered in that mud. Besides, we all know if it were AJ, she would have swept the competition. ;)

It was great to have a Sweetie Belle focused episode, s'pecially since Applebloom has had hers. Now we wait for Scootaloo.

Anyony else enjoy the sister bonding between AJ and AB? Obviously this was Rarity and Sweetie Belle's time in the spotlight, but I could not stop smiling while watching the Apple sisters.

Applejack is best sister.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 1

Oh goodness, now instead of arguing about best pony, we now also have to argue about best sister?

In which case, Rarity is best Sister.

Oh Celestia yes. That was the biggest tear-jerker in the whole series.

Also, what are Rarity's parents accent, Caneighdian? I have listened to them several times, but I can not tell.

Anyony else enjoy the sister bonding between AJ and AB? Obviously this was Rarity and Sweetie Belle's time in the spotlight, but I could not stop smiling while watching the Apple sisters.

Yeah, I found the bonding between Applejack and Apple Bloom quite neat to watch, too. After seeing this episode, it's given me a lot more confidence that the CMC have a greater purpose in existing beyond just getting their cutie marks, which is great to see.

I think Rarity is best sister. :D

Applejack earned some more respect from me with this episode.

I really hope AJ gets some good episodes as she is currently on the bottom of my favorites (mane 6) list and I sorta want that to change ;)

+1 for more Applejack episodes in the future. I'm sure the fandom would love her more if Studio B simply showed us more sides of her.

• Brohoof 1

At first this episode wasn't looking all that good to me, but it quickly got better and ended up being one of my favorites ;)

It's amazing how big a tear jerker this show can be at times :(

It's odd having an episode with just two of the mane 6 though. Especially since Twilight Sparkle was nowhere to be seen. I like how they are allowing other ponies write to Celestia now, it's a nice follow up from the end of "Lesson Zero"

• Brohoof 2

"Sisterhooves Social" spots the other contestants in my books. How the episode starts off, was highbrow. Rarity waking up after being disturbed by the smell of smoke and the blaring of her fire alarm, Sweetie Belle trying to make Rarity breakfast in bed, already having burnt her parents' breakfast, and after the mishap, tries to help her sister with various other chores, but only ends up making Rarity mad when she doesn't do them properly. Certainly brilliant and the start of Sweetie Belles' disappointment of her failures, finds an event that she could not possibly include her "goofing anything up", but find it rather disappointing when Rarity thinks of it as a ridiculous idea, thus parting ways as sisters. Astounding!

Posted Image

Not only does this episode depicts the sister relationship between Rarity and Sweetie Belle, but sets an example of the wonderful being sisters, teamwork, compromising, and having fun, which Applejack and Apple Bloom displays when Sweetie Belle encounters them at Sweet Apple Acres doing chores. Seeing their enjoyment, I almost wanted a sister relationship with Applejack and Apple Bloom (which I don't blame Sweetie Belle wanting to claim Applejack as her big sister).

At the day of the event, I just love how Apple Bloom is willing to let Sweetie Belle replace her as Applejacks little sister for a day and confirms that it's just "ONLY ONE DAY". Needless to say, with Sweetie Belle focused too much on the competition, not to notice her own sisters' eyes when covered in mud. And if you ask me, Applejack would've clearly made that jump. The two didn't win the race, but Sweetie Belle shouts out she had fun anyways and finds out she's been racing with her sister all along and that Applejack and Apple Bloom were in on the plan. Just awed at the sister's make up and what wonderful way to end it with Rarity composing a letter to Celestia together with Sweetie Belle, finally learning the wonderful being of having a sister.

Easily with all that said, my favorite episode of Season 2, so far.

Edited by Tyger
  • Brohoof 1

Remember how we all thought that his episode was DEFINITELY going to have a song? Of course we all know now that there wasn't. And I think the show writers knew we would notice this. So, for a little jab in the ribs to us saying "still no song, but hold on!" they have sweetie Belle mention "singing a song" in her list of things Rarity could do with her. Just thought this was a funny little joke that they played on us...

Thanks Hasbro...

• Brohoof 1

I honestly expected a song right after the part where they "Unsistered" each other... Something a little mean, but had them thinking about each other,.. with both of them getting their own verses, which ended with them saying they missed the other...

Unfortunately no song, but the episode was still sweet... I mean... Ewwwwwwwww! Give me a break!

• Brohoof 1

Sisterhooves

What a curious episode. On one level its all very obvious, the morality tale, the cute niceness to get sisters (or brothers and sisters) to stop fighting and be nice to each other - well aimed at the target demographic!

Its not going to be one of my favourites, tho Sweety Belle was quite cool - sure she went off in a bit of a huff, but she had no temper tantrums or screaming hebeejies. I would say, tho, that Rarity seems to forget most of the time that she's supposed to be the Spirit of Generosity. or maybe generosity only really works when you've had time to think about it, otherwise its just reflex?

Applejack and Applebloom were very nice together, and it was good to see AJ in such a starring role.

I really loved the portrayal of Granny Smith too, the old matriarch in charge of things but amusingly doddering things up a bit.

The whole social event just reminded me so much of Sunday School outings when I was a kid - except then boys were allowed to participate. Here, it appears to reinforce the idea that Equestria is a matriarchy and males won't rise to any important position.

Oh, and Rarity's father's cutie mark - how on earth (or in Equestria) can anyone think these things are footballs?! They're cylindrical! You try playing even American Football with a cylinder...

Lupus

This is the view of Rarity's dad's cutie mark

post-69-0-28761400-1320840961_thumb.jpg

Oh, and Rarity's father's cutie mark - how on earth (or in Equestria) can anyone think these things are footballs?! They're cylindrical! You try playing even American Football with a cylinder...

Lupus

This is the view of Rarity's dad's cutie mark

I looked at the picture before I read your post, and I couldn't make out what the symbols were (they looked like cylinders with arrows either side), but since you said that some people thought they were American footballs they look so obviously like them!

The problem is that there are white stripes on the balls that break up their shape, as Mister-Rarity's-Father's skin is also white.

Edited by Krall
  • Brohoof 1

I looked at the picture before I read your post, and I couldn't make out what the symbols were (they looked like cylinders with arrows either side), but since you said that some people thought they were American footballs they look so obviously like them!

The problem is that there are white stripes on the balls that break up their shape, as Mister-Rarity's-Father's skin is also white.

Oh I see!!! I hadn't looked it that way round. Yes, I thought there were three brown cylinders, each with arrowheads around them. Turning it around and incorporating the white space to be stripes on balls as you say, then yes I CAN see what people are on about! Thanks!!!