LyraHeartstrings

66 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

So much to talk about here! First, we get some more subtle insight into Rarity's psyche just by getting a look at her family. Rarity's parents, along with her sister Sweetie Belle, don't share her posh mannerisms or affinity for refinement and class. This suggests that Rarity's behavior, dress, and even accent are affected and self-taught in order to distinguish her from her "backwater country town" home of Ponyville.

Of course, the real meat of this episode is in Rarity's relationship with Sweetie Belle, which is handled more realistically than most "sibling rivalry" episodes. A major part of this dynamic is that Rarity is an adult, and a businesswoman at that, who lives on her own and has her own schedule, priorities, and agenda. Taking care of a child - even a child in her own family - is a serious drain on her time and resources. From Sweetie Belle's perspective, of course, Rarity is standoffish and uncaring. This is doubly hurtful when one remembers how much Sweetie Belle looks up to and idolizes Rarity (Cutie Mark Chronicles), which may lead to her angry reaction later in the episode.

As an aside, I really enjoyed seeing Rarity seek out Applejack for advice. Who would have expected Rarity to ask Applejack for help with something so personal a season ago? The development these two have had since Look Before You Sleep has been great, and moments like these are wonderful reminders of that development.

In any case, what does Rarity do? She dives headfirst into mud and dirt - which she has a debilitating discomfort of, mind you - in order to make her little sister happy. Rarity's element of generosity shines through here, as she's giving up a lot in both time and personal comfort for the sake of family. The sisters' reconciliation at the end is touching, and I'm glad to see the two continue to spend time together in later episodes (Sleepless in Ponyville).

Also, the delivery of this line makes it the best in the episode:

"What HAVEDONE?" - Rarity, clearly having learned from the Shatner school of acting

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Brohoof 1

After rewatching this episode... I have a few issues.

The general idea is done well but the details are not. Two big issues for me.

1. Rarity is uncharacteristically mean to Sweetie. Yes Rarity is fussy and can be impatient as a result. But she's never been so short tempered, even when dealing with mutual antagonism fro AJ in LBYS or Sweetie's previous screwups in S1. So I thought the way she acted towards Sweetie Belle was a bit ooc.

2. AJ having to tell Rarity to"give in". Rarity's episodes in S1 established that she does give in to the wishes of others. In one episode she gave in too much and in another she refused to divulge her true feelings in order to avoid appearing mean.

Even in SR, she gave in to being a test dummy for the wing spell.

So again, I see no reason why it would be different in this episode unless it was a specifically "getting dirty" thing like the epilogue implies. There's no reason for her to be unwilling to do what Sweetie wanted without AJ having to tell her.

To me this was really hamhanded.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
(edited)

This is one of my favorite episodes.  After skimming through some of the posts in this thread, I gather that one of the only real problems people have with this episode is Rarity's uncharacteristically insensitive attitude towards Sweetie, and the length of time it takes her to learn her lesson.  Valid points of view, but I am here to defend Rarity.  I really liked her in this episode.  In my opinion, she was surprisingly mature.  As was pointed out, Sweetie did drop in unexpectedly when Rarity had a lot of work to do.  And to be fair, even though SB was well meaning, she did cause a lot of trouble for Rarity.  But each time SB screwed something up, I think Rarity did a very decent job at remaining patient and mature.  Sure, she got frustrated, but I think understandably so.  But each time, she made a visible effort to remain patient.  For instance, when SB cleaned up Rarity's workspace, thus interrupting her creative process, Rarity got very upset, almost lost it, but then calmed down, and said, "I just need some time alone."  A mature attitude.  Imagine things from her perspective.  Anyone with a sibling knows that all siblings fight occasionally when growing up.  If a younger sibling caused a lot of trouble for you, screwing up your work projects, almost preventing you from having projects ready for clients, etc, you would be pretty frustrated as well, even if your sibling had the best of intentions.  No one is going to remain patient with their siblings every second of their lives (unless you're Rod and Todd Flanders.)  After enough pushing, Rarity finally snapped and said some hurtful things.  They each did.  It was a fight.  Even the best of siblings have fights.

What I really love about Rarity here is that when she realizes the error of her ways and decides to make amends, she commits to that decision.  When she finds SB at the campfire, she immediately rushes in and apologizes.  As soon as she saw SB at the fire, I was so afraid that she would take a couple steps forward, then stop and say something like, "Oh no.  I can't just run over and apologize.  Then I'll lose my high ground.  I can't admit I was wrong the whole time."  At this point she would proceed to find a way to trick SB into apologizing first, and they would go back and forth like that until the very end, when they both agree to apologize similtaneously at the insistance of their mediator, which would have been AJ.  Doesn't that just sound like the sh*t they do on TV all the time?  But I was overjoyed to see that it didn't go that way.  Rarity didn't so much as hesitate to apologize.  I was impressed by her maturity, because I usually expect much less from TV characters.  And I thought that her apology was very genuine, even if she didn't quite know the right things to suggest they do together.  I, for one, thought the SB was a little mean to hold the grudge when her sister was clearly very sorry and trying her best to rectify the situation.  But she's still just a kid and they each had a valid point of view.

Rarity's commitment to show SB how much she cares was touching, and her gesture at the Sisterhooves Social race was genuine and a pleasure to watch.  And to be perfectly honest, I was actually as surprised as SB when Rarity's identity was revealed after the race.  When I watch TV or movies, I usually just sit back and enjoy it.  I'll analyze afterward, but I try not to predict what's going to happen during the show.  I don't look for the man behind the curtain, so to speak.  Admittedly, it didn't even occur to me that it was Rarity the whole time.  I feel a little silly about it now.  Looking back, it was pretty obvious.  The blue eyes, the fact that the mud stuck the whole time, when usually in cartoons the character will be spotless in the next shot, the fact that she went out of her way to never speak or make a sound.  I mean, if it was AJ, she would have been Yeeeehaaawing the whole time.  Something seemed odd to me, but I didn't think much of it.  Couldn't put my finger on it.  Frankly, I often enjoy not spotting the endings, because I get to enjoy the mind blowing moment when it's revealed.  Brilliant episode.  Loved it.

I guess that's about it.  The last thing I want to say is how much I loved one of Rarity's lines at the campfire:

AJ: "Bein' sisters is about give and take.  You been doing a lotta taking, but you haven't been doin a whole lotta givin."

Rarity: "I give!  I gave lessons.  Reasonable demands."

LOL!  Reminds me so much of Sheldon Cooper.

Penny: "Ok, I've done some stupid things, you've done some stupid things.  Let's just call it even.  You gotta meet me halfway here."

Sheldon: "I am meeting you halfway.  I'm willing to concede that you've done some stupid things."

Lol.  Priceless.

Edited by Justin_Case001

I have got an alternate scenario for you: What if Rarity and Sweetie Belle had failed to reconcile and make up in the end? What would have happened then?

Sweetie Belle would have been very hard on Rarity then. :lol: At the end she had no reasons to dislike her sister anymore.

But I guess if that would have happened, Rarity would have tried something else in another episode.

Sweetie Belle would have been very hard on Rarity then. :lol: At the end she had no reasons to dislike her sister anymore.

But I guess if that would have happened, Rarity would have tried something else in another episode.

What about Princess Celestia? Would she have been very disappointed in Rarity or Sweetie Belle?

What about Princess Celestia? Would she have been very disappointed in Rarity or Sweetie Belle?

In Sweetie Belle, because she would have ignored the efforts of Rarity.

(edited)

In Sweetie Belle, because she would have ignored the efforts of Rarity.

What would Princess Celestia have had to say to her?

Edited by MalekPony

• 2 weeks later...

She would have also gotten mad at Twilight Sparkle, am I right?

Why Twilight? :blink: I don't remember this episode very well to be honest. Just the main plot.

(edited)

Why Twilight? :blink: I don't remember this episode very well to be honest. Just the main plot.

I think Twilight Sparkle might have let a friendship problem go unresolved (and Rarity and Sweetie Belle's sister relationship go broken) unless she had to step in if Sweetie Belle and Rarity failed to reconcile.

Edited by MalekPony
  • Brohoof 1

I think Twilight Sparkle might have let a friendship problem go unresolved (and Rarity and Sweetie Belle's sister relationship go broken) unless she had to step in if Sweetie Belle and Rarity failed to reconcile.

You're right, she would definitely have tried to do something to reconcile them.

• 2 months later...
(edited)

You're right, she would definitely have tried to do something to reconcile them.

What if Twilight's method didn't work, however?

Edited by MalekPony

(edited)

What if Twilight's method didn't work, however?

Maybe that would have made Rarity and Sweetie Belle's relation even worse? :blink:

If that happened, I guess the writers would have made another episode where they eventually reconcile.

Edited by Blobulle

(edited)

Maybe that would have made Rarity and Sweetie Belle's relation even worse? :blink:

If that happened, I guess the writers would have made another episode where they eventually reconcile.

What if the sisterly relationship of Rarity and Sweetie Belle were to completely break apart, meaning that they would NOT be sisters anymore?

Edited by MalekPony

What if the sisterly relationship of Rarity and Sweetie Belle were to completely break apart, meaning that they would NOT be sisters anymore?

Well, they'll always be sisters, but I understand what you mean:

Actually, I think that would be interesting to see that, but I don't think that will ever happen, don't forget there're little girls who watch the show, and I guess some of them relate to Sweetie Belle (because they also have an annoying big sister for example). That wouldn't be a good moral if they never reconcile.

Maybe Rarity and SB wouldn't live in the same house anymore?

Well, they'll always be sisters, but I understand what you mean:

Actually, I think that would be interesting to see that, but I don't think that will ever happen, don't forget there're little girls who watch the show, and I guess some of them relate to Sweetie Belle (because they also have an annoying big sister for example). That wouldn't be a good moral if they never reconcile.

Maybe Rarity and SB wouldn't live in the same house anymore?

So Rarity and Sweetie Belle will still be sisters regardless (no matter what happens)?

(edited)

So Rarity and Sweetie Belle will still be sisters regardless (no matter what happens)?

Oh I just said because they have the same parents. ;)

They're biological sisters.

EDIT: So, yes.

Edited by Blobulle

• 1 month later...

I liked this episode until I realized it was teaching us something very bad. 

People with older siblings, it is perfectly OK to go to their house without permission and mess with your things as long as your intentions are good.

People with younger siblings, if your younger sibling goes to your house and messes with your things, do not complain. 

How is this a lesson? Rarity was seen as the bad one in this episode. Her parents went to her house and dropped Sweetie Belle off without her permission. Rarity lives alone. Did Rarity invite her parents in? No. Did Rarity let Sweetie Belle use her food to "cook" with? No. The fact that Rarity let Sweetie Belle stay with her when she could have flat out refused makes her a very generous pony.

When Sweetie Belle starts messing with Rarity's things, and Rarity (reasonably) gets mad, Rarity is seen as the bad one. Sweetie Belle is seen as not doing anything wrong. Of course, most people will also view Rarity as the bad one in this episode. Rarity had to make amends for Sweetie Belle, not the other way around. 

Imagine you have a younger sibling, and you are living alone. Your parents drop off your younger sibling without your permission and are ready to go on a holiday trip. You don't have to accept, but you still accept. Now your sibling starts messing with your stuff without your permission. Would you be completely fine with it, or will you be upset? 

Family or not, it is not OK to go to someone's house and mess with their stuff. Even if they do let you stay with them, do not mess with their stuff. It is very disrespectful.

Rarity was the bad one according to the writers, so the writers must think messing with your older sister's things in her house is perfectly OK, and she shouldn't get mad.

I'm sorry, but that episode was terrible. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

This was an okay episode. It involves Rarity and Sweetie Belle becoming harsh towards each other. Sweetie Belle wants to get Applejack as her sister. Also we got to meet Rarity's parents which is nice. My highlight was Applejack's quote on how being sisters is like apple pie.

Would the title have been "Sisterhooves Social Part 2: The Sibling Rivalry Continues"?

Edited by MalekPony