LyraHeartstrings

66 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I loved this episode, but I'm probably biased because I can relate to Rarity in this episode.  :please: I had a half-brother named Brendan, and we would always fight. He would steal my PS2 games, me, since I was only 5 years old at the time, would threaten to tell my mom or dad. Eventually, Brendan was kicked out since he became very bossy and demanding and acted like he had some kind of authority or something. At first, I was glad he was kicked out. But a few days later, I actually missed him. The place felt empty without my half-brother. When I saw Rarity and Sweetiebelle bickering constantly in this episode, I couldn't help but shed a tear, knowing what it felt like to be in both of their shoes (or maybe I should say "hooves" ^-^'). I was really happy to see that the two were happy with each other in the end. Doesn't matter if they're a sister or a brother, younger or older, I think you should be happy to grow up with a sibling. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really liked this episode! It was nice to see how this conflict played out :) And of course it's a big plus that Sweetiebelle was a main chararcter in this episode for she is best CMC member :catface:

I thought the episode was ok. Nothing really special, even with what events transpired, I did not find it to be really entertaining :T. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is my all-time favourite episode. Rarity is my favourite pony because she is such a flawed character, and that's why most of her episodes rank among the best of MLP. Her relationship with Sweetie Belle here is one of the best in the show, and Rarity learned one of the most valuable lessons on the show so far. The conflict was great, and Applejack also played a brilliant role. 10/10

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

"What did you do...what did you dooo!!!"

Laughed so much. I love Rarity's reactions.

I liked this episode until I realized it was teaching us something very bad. 

People with older siblings, it is perfectly OK to go to their house without permission and mess with your things as long as your intentions are good.

People with younger siblings, if your younger sibling goes to your house and messes with your things, do not complain. 

How is this a lesson? Rarity was seen as the bad one in this episode. Her parents went to her house and dropped Sweetie Belle off without her permission. Rarity lives alone. Did Rarity invite her parents in? No. Did Rarity let Sweetie Belle use her food to "cook" with? No. The fact that Rarity let Sweetie Belle stay with her when she could have flat out refused makes her a very generous pony.

When Sweetie Belle starts messing with Rarity's things, and Rarity (reasonably) gets mad, Rarity is seen as the bad one. Sweetie Belle is seen as not doing anything wrong. Of course, most people will also view Rarity as the bad one in this episode. Rarity had to make amends for Sweetie Belle, not the other way around. 

Imagine you have a younger sibling, and you are living alone. Your parents drop off your younger sibling without your permission and are ready to go on a holiday trip. You don't have to accept, but you still accept. Now your sibling starts messing with your stuff without your permission. Would you be completely fine with it, or will you be upset? 

Family or not, it is not OK to go to someone's house and mess with their stuff. Even if they do let you stay with them, do not mess with their stuff. It is very disrespectful.

Rarity was the bad one according to the writers, so the writers must think messing with your older sister's things in her house is perfectly OK, and she shouldn't get mad.

I'm sorry, but that episode was terrible. 

I disagree since you're modeling SB's behaviour like she's a responsible adult, when in fact she's a child seeking both approval and attention. She messes with Rarity's things out of good intentions, and since SB is a child, concepts such as business responsibility and privacy go over her head. At the end, the piece of art SB made showed she was just trying to make her sister happy, and the whole message behind the story was that even though SB was technically in the wrong, an older sibling needs to be understanding and caring rather than aggressive.

I think it was a very nice episode and nice character growth for Rarity.

• 5 months later...

This episode really struck a chord with me on a personal level, because I can relate to both Rarity AND Sweetie Belle here as I have trouble getting along with both my older sister AND my younger sister. 

You just never know when an episode will cover an issue that relates to you.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the best episodes to come out of season 2.

I really really enjoyed how Sweetie Belle and Rarity's relationship played out in this episode and for the rest of the series to come.

• 5 months later...

The only episode starring both Rarity and Applejack which doesn't lean on their personalities clashing. Wish this was what their dynamic looked like in subsequent episodes. Due for a re-watch - I remember thinking this was a less entertaining episode at first, but remembering it now I'm mostly just thinking of stuff which I like about it. Good episode. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Why...

Why was there no Luna/Celestia in this...

I want... NAY DEMAND! THAT IN THE FUTURE WE GET A EPISODE WHERE LUNA/CELESTIA compete against TWILIGHT/CADENCE in the sisterhoof social.....

ALL HAIL THE ALICORN GOD-EMPRESSES..... Ez.... Empressessess? Umm.... Yes...

_______
now that being said.

Great episode.

Rarity is always gun. Sweetie Is always good... Except for when she's not.

Love the lesson. Love whole thing.

As a pony who grew up with six sisters I can appreciate this episode.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It seems to me, that Season 2 already had me vote for " i loved it " more than Season 1 did, because i also liked this Episode a lot, it had a good lesson and a decent surprise at the end. Even though i dont understand why Applejack had to stay in the mud all the time, but oh well.

• 4 weeks later...

I get where both Rarity and Sweetie Belle are coming from. The beginning isn't really my kind of humour, but every gag is funnier than the last, and this story is just so sweet and charming, and the moral about sibling relationships is just lovely. Highlights: Granny Smith on the podium, Apple Bloom saying "One. Day.," "Why do you have to be so good and make me look so bad?" But honestly, the entire back half is lovely, and this time I noticed exactly when the swap happened, and was grinning from ear to ear during the entire race. Even the first half, while a bit less fun, is interesting enough, as stuff like Rarity's "inspiration room" are pretty creative, and both ponies have understandable reactions to the other. In any case, that early tension makes the climax all the more delightful, so it's entirely justified in my book. 

Score:

Entertainment: 8/10

Characters: 9/10

Theme: 10/10

Story: 9/10

Overall: 90/100

• 3 months later...

I wonder what age equivalent the CMCs are supposed to be. It seems to bounce around based on what’s needed. Sweetie Bell acted younger than my six year old son here. She doesn’t know not to just take jewels for her artwork? I can see her doing it anyway (since kids do that sort of thing), but I would a hard time believing that wasn’t discussed before.

Also the breakfast. Maybe she and her parents like things burnt. Otherwise, that doesn’t make sense to me. My son recently made me a nice dinner, with help of course. Sweetie Bell just needed help. Her parents aren’t doing her any favors by letting her burn everything.

I felt both sisters and their parents were at fault.

Overall though, I did enjoy the episode. I can see the issue both sisters have, and I find it reasonable for both.

• 1 month later...

This is one of my favorite episodes of the show. It gets the sibling dynamic down perfectly and I'll never argue with more Rarity and Applejack interaction. The entire thing is really sweet, charming, and surprisingly funny.

Score: 10/10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It was a really cute episode overall, and was one of the few episodes where Rarity showed kindness! It felt new seeing rarity help someone(sweetie belle) by other means than her designing skills.

• 2 months later...

This does a great job of showing what it's like to have siblings, aside from one pretty big aspect. The entire episode is about how Rarity is wrong in how she treats Sweetie Belle, which is true. Rarity didn't handle things right, but the episode also should've had Sweetie Belle learn to be less of a klutz. She burns breakfast, messes up Rarity's room, and uses Rarity's gems and Rarity is put in the wrong. While Rarity didn't handle the situations well, the episode never calls out Sweetie Belle for making these mistakes in the first place, regardless of her good intentions. It makes the episode incomplete and one-sided.

This ruins the episode since it hurts the core of the episode. This is disappointing because Rarity is perhaps at her best here. She's relatable, funny, and doesn't get pushed into being so selfish she's annoying, while still being overdramatic and selfish.

Score: 7/10

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...