Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you react if Gen 5 changed the show?

Chaotic☆Cupcake

The biggest reason I'm a brony in the first place is because I love (EDIT: LOVE) Lauren Faust's art style. I've always been a sucker for the colorful clean palette of the show akin to the PowerPuff Girls and Foster's Home to Imaginary Friends (also, two of my favorite cartoons on earth). But something hit me the other day; a shrill voice of cold realization echoed through my mind: what if that went away? What if Gen 5 was in a completely new art style no where near the creative genuity that Lauren offered the world; the mane reason (pun, sorry) Gen 4 sets itself apart from Gens 1, 2, 3- with a completely different plotline and fanbase as exceptions. What if it was made in CGI? What if they take that as a logical good reason to make the show crap, or become lazy with the animations as to make every setting a boxed room with a plant in the corner (watch an episode of the new 'Garfield Show' and you'll see what I mean). 

Or better yet how will you feel if the series became a cash-in? Granted, the series was meant to sell the toys in the first place, but what show ISN'T? Look at what Transformers has become: not only did the movies become a recycled let's-use-the-same-charcters-over-and-over routine, but for some reason the toy quality went down with it (Transformers that don't Transform? How is this acceptable??) Imagine Gen 5 with no Mane 6; with a complete bunch of new ponies. This is what they always have done with every new MLP Gen, but imagine it like the Michael Bay movies: "We'll only include three ponies, and I'm sorry if you want to see more, but people are too happy watching the same thing over and over, so it's just easy to keep making the same thing with no distinct differences because they'll pay money to see it and we don't care about your nostalgia."     

I like to use the "If you don't like the new Star Wars, watch the old ones" attitude in situations like this, and I know I can always look back at Gen 4, but not everyone would feel the same as me. How would YOU react? Do you think Gen 5 could exceed in what Gen 4 is accomplishing right now, or become a entirely new show for the worse?

• Brohoof 2

I never had hope for humanity so I think that gen 5 will most likely be complete crap made with 3d rendering that looks like fps games from the 90s and the writing will probably be equally bad as they outsource writers to india.

• Brohoof 2

I think that the older a show gets, and the more popular it becomes, chances are its just going to go downhill. If we were in a normal TV fandom, I would say that this is the highpoint and we can only go downhill from here.

However, MLP is unique compared to other shows, based on its strange (yet awesome) fanbase and how much Lauren Faust communicates with the fans/bronies. So I have hope. And hey, I can always just rewatch MLP:FIM if it does get worse. But seriously, nothing could be worse than G3.5.

• Brohoof 3

But seriously, nothing could be worse than G3.5.

Don't give them any smart ideas...

In regards to the OP, I think it is a scary prospect.  I've already seen a slight (and by slight, I mean a tiny sliver) decrease in quality for Season 3. 

I would probably either:

A - Stop watching the show

B - Watch G4 and tolerate G5 to an extent

• Brohoof 1

I could see them turning the next generation into a total cash in.  I definitely foresee horribly CG graphics and bad plot lines with bad voice acting.  Honestly, I wouldn't really care about that as long as they continue with Friendship is Magic.  Hasbro, in the end, is a toy company and they will do what they have to to sell.  Like the previous poster said, look what they did to Transformers.  They've got THREE different transformers going right now!  I definitely could see them doing that with MLP.

Honestly, in the end, as long as they keep FiM going I don't really care what they do with the rest.  They're toy line for it is crap anyway.  I would much rather fork out the extra money to get some artwork from the fans.

Ok. Enough with the apocalypse reaction for the shows! You're almost acting as if next gen will ruin the show!
I'll see how it goes and if it works, it'll work. If it doesn't, I won't watch it. That's all.

• Brohoof 3

Maybe you could do some research. Several ponies from this generation were in generations before this one, so it wouldn't be a completely new set. And the art style probably won't change, that's always been Lauren Faust's style. Even cartoons she did in the nineties were like this.

It probably depends on what G5 is about, or why the new generation is needed. Is it going to go back to Hasbro releasing tons of toys. Or are they sticking with the format of having a strong tv show, with strong characters, and having the toyline back that up. 

I will always collect cute toys if it is designed well *shrug*. I could care less about if it will have a show that backs it up or not. (Don't get me wrong~ I *love* the FiM show). 

Eeek....this makes me worried thinking about it! D:

But right now, My Little Pony is at it's best: possibly one of the most succesful gens in it's history. To change the show's art style, and to make it crap...I can't really think of something like that happening. But if they do quit, maybe someone else will be put in charge. However, something like happening could possibly change the art style, and unfortunately maybe the plot as well. 

I hate to admit it, but if there is a gen 5, it's gonna be pretty bad. Ok, REALLY bad. We don't want to go back to gen 3, where all the ponies care about is flowers and the color pink. No siree. But right now the show is doing very well....so if they would stop anytime soon,  I bet they'll try their best to keep the show how it is. If it does become crap...I'll explode. Twice. And Hasbro's gonna have a bunch of angry bronies knocking on their door. I'll be pretty pissed, but I'd have no choice but to rewatch the old gen 4 episodes. And seeing all those loving fans watching the show...I'm sure they wouldn't give up on us like that. 

So there's a pretty high chance of gen 5 being bad, but I don't want to be negative about it: Hopefully we won't even have a gen 5, and just keep having gen 4...

forever__by_kefkafloyd-d4b9k05.png

I hate to admit it, but if there is a gen 5, it's gonna be pretty bad. Ok, REALLY bad.

Why would it be ?

Well, G5 shouldn't show up until 2020 guys. And why would they destroy something that works ? Considering the current hype for FiM, we should have quality ponies for at least a year or two.

There's no reason G5 cannot be as good as G4. If would just be different, and different doesn't mean bad by default.

We shouldn't be afraid of changes.

Edited by Akihiro
  • Brohoof 2

Why would it be ?

Well, G5 shouldn't show up until 2020 guys. And why would they destroy something that works ? Considering the current hype for FiM, we should have quality ponies for at least a year or two.

There's no reason G5 cannot be as good as G4. If would just be different, and different doesn't mean bad by default.

We should be, change isn't always better and there are some changes which we cannot believe in.Sometimes the old ways works better and only those who have experienced it knows that it was like.

I wouldn't be "afraid" of G5 yet. There's going to be a looooooooong time before G5 comes.

Who says it'll be bad? (Who says it'll be good?)

Point is, nobody knows. We can only hope that the success of MLP:FiM has inspired other producers to create proper cartoons instead of the crappy ones we see all over the place in today's world.

We should be, change isn't always better and there are some changes which we cannot believe in.Sometimes the old ways works better and only those who have experienced it knows that it was like.

If we were afraid of changes we wouldn't be doing any progress. Actually, if everyone (including Lauren Faust) were afraid of changes, what would My Little Pony look like today? Well I guess a copy of G3. Sounds cool huh?
If Lauren Faust hadn't taken the challenge of pushing gender stereotype boundaries and typical one-sided cartoon characters then we wouldn't even be here, posting on these forums. Change can be good and being afraid of it is like being afraid of the dark.

Edited by SorteKanin

Well maybe they're will be a G5. I don't even know how sure I am that will happen, for all I know they might end at G4.

Anyways if there is a G5. Then who knows how it'll go, I mean it may go cool, it will be different in some way, since otherwise they may as well make another season.

However, i think that Hasbro won't be just making terrible shows on purpose again, expecially with the fact that their sales and show popularity increased tons with FIM.

I think FIM is going to last a while, And I don't even know if A G5 will come around, as long as G4 keeps doing well I don't think they're going to even bother making a G5. Maybe they will when they start running out of ideas, who knows.

I just hope they can come up with great ideas and episodes for as long as possible. As long as they have plenty of FIM around for me to enjoy I'm fine. Heck maybe G5 will be decent or good atleast, but it won't be anything like FIM. Because FIM started brony's and that doesn't just happen again.

Its still possible it'll be good, but we won't know until it comes around.

I still think FIM is going to be around for atleast a few more seasons, its doing good so why would they quit now anyways?

If we were afraid of changes we wouldn't be doing any progress. Actually, if everyone (including Lauren Faust) were afraid of changes, what would My Little Pony look like today? Well I guess a copy of G3. Sounds cool huh?

If Lauren Faust hadn't taken the challenge of pushing gender stereotype boundaries and typical one-sided cartoon characters then we wouldn't even be here, posting on these forums. Change can be good and being afraid of it is like being afraid of the dark.

What about negative changes? The original powerful girls which Lauren worked on was pretty funny despite the bad quality animation but G2 powerpuff girl z is just some generic anime that caters to people with lolicon fetishes.

It might be impossible to prevent change but not every change is good.

If G5 is 3D, then use the style of pony animations they use in GMOD mods except more fluid and do the scenery with something else.  Perhaps G5 will wait for a few years until we can make mlp pony models look great in 3D.

If they make a G4.5, then it should be an epic for-teenage-and-up-audiences kind for the bronies which details the epic stories going on in the background of FiM, with long plotlines and maybe a newer and more accurate toy deal to keep the Hasbro execs happy. Derpy, lead the way!

Eeek....this makes me worried thinking about it! D:

But right now, My Little Pony is at it's best: possibly one of the most succesful gens in it's history. To change the show's art style, and to make it crap...I can't really think of something like that happening. But if they do quit, maybe someone else will be put in charge. However, something like happening could possibly change the art style, and unfortunately maybe the plot as well. 

I hate to admit it, but if there is a gen 5, it's gonna be pretty bad. Ok, REALLY bad. We don't want to go back to gen 3, where all the ponies care about is flowers and the color pink. No siree. But right now the show is doing very well....so if they would stop anytime soon,  I bet they'll try their best to keep the show how it is. If it does become crap...I'll explode. Twice. And Hasbro's gonna have a bunch of angry bronies knocking on their door. I'll be pretty pissed, but I'd have no choice but to rewatch the old gen 4 episodes. And seeing all those loving fans watching the show...I'm sure they wouldn't give up on us like that. 

So there's a pretty high chance of gen 5 being bad, but I don't want to be negative about it: Hopefully we won't even have a gen 5, and just keep having gen 4...

forever__by_kefkafloyd-d4b9k05.png

Both of you are making me view this fandom negatively. However...

Why would it be ?

I wouldn't be "afraid" of G5 yet. There's going to be a looooooooong time before G5 comes.

Who says it'll be bad? (Who says it'll be good?)

Point is, nobody knows. We can only hope that the success of MLP:FiM has inspired other producers to create proper cartoons instead of the crappy ones we see all over the place in today's world.

Both of you are neutralizing that hate and I love you for it.

G5 isn't out yet. Could we NOT hate something that doesn't exist and that we don't know what its result will be?

• Brohoof 5

Uhhh, yeah, Gen 5 will come sooner or later.

However as this generation was a huge leap forward from the third, the fifth will definitely be stepping back or moving forward, we just have to wait and see.

they always have. G1 was a fantasy but based on another planet hence the humans. G2 was a world without myth or legend and evrypony lived their lives like humans. G3 was a bit of both, and now you have G4. the action of fantasy mixed with regular lives. if the style is different for G5, yet the animation, voice, plot (no not that plot) and story are just as good, then yeah id watch it.

• Brohoof 1

What about negative changes? The original powerful girls which Lauren worked on was pretty funny despite the bad quality animation but G2 powerpuff girl z is just some generic anime that caters to people with lolicon fetishes.

I...

I don't...

[Mind.exe has performed an illegal operation and must shut down. We are sorrty for the inconvenience.]

Judging by this post and your post before, you're saying that the possibility of it going bad, no matter how big or small, is there and we shouldn't move forward...

mlfw629_130819885463.gif

Not everyone here is that paranoid... Not everyone here is that paranoid... Not everyone here is that paranoid...

Edited by Xidphel

Who says it's going to be negative though? Why should we fear something that we don't even know about yet? As I said, it's like being afraid of the dark, you don't know if there's anything there.

I like to take the more optimistic approach of hoping for good changes instead of the pessimistic approach of fearing bad changes.

Who says it's going to be negative though? Why should we fear something that we don't even know about yet? As I said, it's like being afraid of the dark, you don't know if there's anything there.

I like to take the more optimistic approach of hoping for good changes instead of the pessimistic approach of fearing bad changes.

Which is a mater of personal opinion since people don't agree with the same ideas and values but lets not forget that everything a human does is for self interest and history has shown us how far people are willing to go to achieve their political and financial ambitions.

Profit matters more than anything else and they'll just make content that the majority of the audience agree with, it could start to push certain political ideas like what special interest groups had wanted all along if certain ideologies are popular in the future.Maybe you'll learn to accept whatever new ideas that are popular in the future but I'll stick to my oldschool beliefs.

If G5 is 3D, then use the style of pony animations they use in GMOD mods except more fluid and do the scenery with something else.  Perhaps G5 will wait for a few years until we can make mlp pony models look great in 3D.

If they make a G4.5, then it should be an epic for-teenage-and-up-audiences kind for the bronies which details the epic stories going on in the background of FiM, with long plotlines and maybe a newer and more accurate toy deal to keep the Hasbro execs happy. Derpy, lead the way!

A good show in 3D is just not-conceivable. It would cost way too much to produce something decent. (and I'm not even talking about rendering times).

Also, I disagree with your view on a more mature series. FiM was successful because everyone could watch it. Epic stories doesn't need ponies to be good. Personally, I love My Little Pony (emphasis on the title) as it is.

Which is a mater of personal opinion since people don't agree with the same ideas and values but lets not forget that everything a human does is for self interest and history has shown us how far people are willing to go to achieve their political and financial ambitions.

I really really hope that your view on the human race will change. Going around thinking that everyone is egoists and only cares for themselves is a miserable thought. Besides, there's plenty of proof that humans are not all egoists. Many millions give money to charity and people do stuff to help others (also just in day to day life). History remembers many people and of course some of them are bound to be egoistic. Painting that behaviour on the human race as a whole is the same as saying every brony is a clopper though.

Sure, it's opinion but even with a pessimistic viewpoint there is no base for a fear regarding something you can't possibly hope to know anything about.

Profit matters more than anything else and they'll just make content that the majority of the audience agree with, it could start to push certain political ideas like what special interest groups had wanted all along if certain ideologies are popular in the future.Maybe you'll learn to accept whatever new ideas that are popular in the future but I'll stick to my oldschool beliefs.

Of course money is their real goal but I think they've seen with MLP:FiM that it is worth it to make a good cartoon because people will love it. People loving it means more money. If the majority likes MLP:FiM why should they make G5 so different? They should know now that to earn lots of money on a show, make it good.

Lauren Faust's style is unique. If you tried to make a new generation where you copy it, it wouldn't be original. You always want to have some originality and creativity when you're making a show or remake of a show. Otherwise, you just basically watching the same thing.

Although, if they made it cgi, I wouldn't watch it anymore, because while cgi can look really good when done right, it can look really really bad when done lazily.

I, for one, would want a new generation of ponies along with the new generation itself. Sure, it wouldn't be Twilight, Rainbow Dash, etc., but it would be an all new Mane 6 to fall in love with (You know what I mean).