Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Mane Six As D&D Characters

Alex Kennedy

Because I have nothing better to do, I thought I'd write out what I think each of the mane six would be as D&D characters.

This is going by 3.5 by the way. I'll add other ponies as characters when I come up with them.

Twilight Sparkle
Class: wizard, no specialized school Lv:10 (magic user, power comes from knowledge/studying)
Feats: spell mastery, spell penetration, (Wizard bonus feats) empower spell, enlarge spell, craft wondrous item
Alignment: Neutral Good (honorable and kindhearted, always does the right thing)

Fluttershy
Class: Druid Lv: 5/Beastmaster Lv: 5 (love of nature, relies on the help of animals, and with druid magic she can be a tree:http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/treeShape.htm.)
Feats: Skill focus (handle animal), natural bond, animal affinity, dive for cover
Alignment: Neutral Good (tries to do what is best for everyone and Druids have to be neutral anyway)

Pinkie Pie
Class: Bard Lv: 10(uses her music to inspire/aid others)
Feats: chant of fortitude, ironskin chant, versatile performer, lingering song
Alignment: Chaotic Good (cares about little other than having fun and making everyone happy)

Applejack
Class: RangerLv: 4/FighterLv: 4/Scout Lv: 2 (lives off the land, relies on physical strength in combat, affinity with nature)
Feats: Power Attack, combat expertise, improved initiative,(fighter bonus feats) endurance, track, diehard, cleave
Alignment: Lawful Good (honorable, honest, generous, and generally very kind)

Rarity
Class: expert Lv: 3/rogue Lv: 2/exemplar Lv: 5 (emphasis on skills, espocially social skills, and general emphasis on making sure things are done right/done with style)
Feats: Negotiator (Exemplar bonus feat), Weapon Finesse, Skill focus (diplomacy), Skill focus (craft (armorsmithing/dressmaking), Skill focus (profession (tailor))
Alignment: Neutral Good (Does what's best for her and her friends)

Edit: Thanks Thereisnospoon303, your suggestions helped and inspired me to "up my game", as it were.

Rainbow Dash
Class: Scout Lv: 10, possibly crossed with Swashbuckler (relies on speed and mobility in combat)
Alignment:Chaotic Good (rebellious and challenges authority, but will ultimately do the right thing)
Feats: Spring Attack, Mobility (scout bonus feats), Dodge, Weapon finesse, Improved initiative, Improved Flight

Edit: Other characters I've thought of.

Shining Armor
Class: Paladin Lv: 15+ ( Combination of physical strength and support magic)
Feats: Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Cleave, Widen Spell, Iron Will
Alignment: Lawful Good (Paladins normally have to be lawful good, and as a loyal guard captain I can't see him as anything else)

That one was pretty obvious.

Spike
Class: Dragon Disciple Lv: 5? (well, technically he is a dragon, but still)
Feats: Improved Toughness, Great Fortitude
Alignment: Neutral Good (does whatever Twilight says and generally is inclined to do the right thing)

I might need a second opinion on that

Trixie
Class: Bard Lv: 5/Virtuoso Lv: 5 ((As a bard she would have to be atypical in that she wouldn't use music as her performance, which is allowed but uncommon) some magical ability with emphasis on performance)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral (No real moral compass, seems to do whatever benefits her at the time)

Iron Will
Class: Barbarian Lv:5?, but one that can probably read (Relies on brute force and intimidation, maybe crossed with bard for his rhyming and showmanship skills)
Feats: Intimidating Rage, Power Attack
Alignment: Hell if I know. Chaotic Neutral?

Iron Will is best minotaur :P

Celestia
Class: Cleric of Pelor, sun and good domains Lv: 35 (really she should be a cleric of herself, but Pelor is the D&D god of the sun, also she would be epic level and have greater deity status, making her virtually untouchable)
Feats: Leadership, Domain Focus (Sun), Disciple of the Sun, every metamagic spell and probably still more
Alignment: Neutral Good (doesn't always follow formalities and likes to bend the rules but is a kind ruler)

Luna
Class: Illusionist Wizard Lv 15/Cleric, Dream and Good domains (entering and manipulating dreams. If there were a night or moon domain for clerics, she would be that. Like Celestia, she would be a greater deity)
Feats: Leadership, Spell Mastery, probably every metamagic feat, and a bunch of others, too
Alignment: Lawful Good ( Not as lenient as Celestia in terms of formalities, but also a benevolent ruler

Chrysalis
Class: Druid Lv: 20/ Master of many forms Lv: 10/ Assassin Lv: 5 (Shape-shifting and illusion powers)
Feats: Natural Spell, Skill Focus (Disguise), too many others for me to bother with. Sorry, but I'm lazy.
Alignment: Neutral Evil (enjoys the suffering of others but only as it is necessary for her people to survive)

Zecora
Class: Lv: 10 Sorcerer/ Lv: 10 Druid (Affinity for both nature and magic, magic comes from meditation and embracing nature. Definite Craft(alchemy) and Knowledge(nature) skill)
Feats: Brew Potion, Create Wondrous Item, Extraordinary Concentration, Obscure Lore, Quicken Spell, Maximize Spell, Enlarge Spell
Alignment: True Neutral or Neutral Good (generally keeps to herself but will gladly help people if they need it)

Cheerilee
Class: Bard Lv: 5/ Ollam: level 3 (Ollams are essentially teachers, so it's pretty obvious)
Feats: Extra Music, Skill Focus (Knowledge (history)), Skill Focus (Knowledge (arcane))
Alignment: Lawful Good (Required for Ollam and she would definitely be good anyway)

Big Macintosh
Class: Barbarian Lv: 10 (relies on physical strength)
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Unarmed Strike, Endurance, Diehard
Alignment: True Neutral (generally seems to be indifferent about pretty much everything)

Vinyl Scratch
Class: Bard Lv: 12 (obviously)
Feats: Extra Music, Subsonics, Lingering Song, Ironskin Chant, Chant of Fortitude
Alignment: True Neutral? (doesn't really do enough for me to gauge her alignment)

Discord
Class: Transmuter Wizard Lv: 15/Drunken Master Lv:10/Stormlord Lv: 10 (This is the most chaotic combination of classes I could think of. I don't think he could even meet the requirements for both Drunken Master and Stormlord, but what fun would it be if it made sense.)
Feats: I'm not listing all the feats he'd have by level 35. Deal with it.
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral (debatably evil, but mostly just concerned with chaos)

King Sombra

Class: Necromancer Wizard Lv: 35 (Pretty much all we know about him is that his power came from dark magic, so... yeah necromancer)

Feats: Too many

Alignment: Lawful Evil (he was a tyrant, tyrant=lawful evil, at least usually it does, I don't know)

I probably won't ever do the CMC mostly because they're kids.

I'll add more detail when I feel like it, and any more characters as I think of them.

Edited by Alex-Kennedy
  • Brohoof 7

Seems about right, though I'm not too sure about Rarity being an aristocrat. She bucked that Manticore in the face pretty hard :P

I must make fan art of this.

I will return.

I thought about making rarity something else, but nothing seemed to fit. Beguiler, maybe? :unsure:

Also:

Shining Armor

Class: Paladin ( Combination of physical strength and support magic)

Alignment: Lawful Good (Paladins normally have to be lawful good, and as a loyal guard captain I can't see him as anything else)

That one was pretty obvious.

Spike

Class: Dragon Disciple (well, technically he is a dragon, but still)

Alignment: Neutral Good (does whatever Twilight says and generally is inclined to do the right thing

I might need a second opinion on that

Edited by Alex-Kennedy

Rarity is more of an Expert IMO, what with her dressmaking. And I think Expert covers the field of artisans, smiths, and tailors.   

A valid point. I really didn't know what to do with Rarity, because there isn't really a fighting style that fits her personality.

I would actually say that Twilight Sparkle is Neutral Good rather than Lawful Good. Her first concern is to do the right thing for the sake of doing so rather than because the law requires it. Her loyalty to Celestia notwithstanding, Twilight appears to be quite ready to defy and/or circumvent conventional rules if it means helping another person. Consider her behavior during "A Canterlot Wedding" wherein Twilight was motivated by the care she felt for her brother (and the uneasiness of "Cadance's" behavior) rather than, in the words of James Bond, by her duty.

Neutral Good characters can still be noble and kindhearted without being zealots for the officials of society. Likewise, some Lawful Good characters can eschew official channels of leadership in favor of upholding a principle which is abiding for every citizen. Batman is a perfect example of the Lawful Good type who defies authority.

Perhaps Rarity should be a Rogue? Deception and a variety of social skills seem to be in keeping with that class. Don't forget Exemplar, should Rarity be a high enough level. (I presume the Mane Six are somewhere around level 10 at this point in the show.)

AJ should go for Scout (reliance on movement) and Ranger (affinity with nature) so she can get Swift Ambusher and get her levels to stack. :P

• Brohoof 1

This is a cool topic! I haven't played D&D for a while so please forgive me if I'm speaking from an outdated version. 

I wonder what everypony's ability scores would be? If I recall, there was Strength, Constitution (which was health and fortitude), Dexterity (agility), Wisdom (intuition, judgment and willpower), Intelligence, and Charisma (persuasiveness, charm, leadership abilities). 

8-10 would be an average score for a human for all ability scores. How would you guys rate the team? I'd say:

Twilight Sparkle:  Strength 8, Constitution 8, Dexterity 10, Wisdom 14, Intelligence 18, Charisma 11

Applejack: Strength 13, Constitution 13, Dexterity 9, Wisdom 16, Intelligence 13, Charisma 12

Rarity: Strength 9, Constitution 9, Dexterity 10, Wisdom 12, Intelligence 16, Charisma 16

Fluttershy: Strength 7, Constitution 8, Dexterity 11, Wisdom 11, Intelligence 12, Charisma 13

Pinkie Pie: Strength 8, Constitution 9, Dexterity 12, Wisdom 15, Intelligence 10, Charisma 12

Rainbow Dash: Strength 12, Constitution 11, Dexterity 18, Wisdom 9, Intelligence 14, Charisma 15

... I don't think they are equal at all there, oh well!

• Brohoof 1

I would actually say that Twilight Sparkle is Neutral Good rather than Lawful Good. Her first concern is to do the right thing for the sake of doing so rather than because the law requires it. Her loyalty to Celestia notwithstanding, Twilight appears to be quite ready to defy and/or circumvent conventional rules if it means helping another person. Consider her behavior during "A Canterlot Wedding" wherein Twilight was motivated by the care she felt for her brother (and the uneasiness of "Cadance's" behavior) rather than, in the words of James Bond, by her duty.

Neutral Good characters can still be noble and kindhearted without being zealots for the officials of society. Likewise, some Lawful Good characters can eschew official channels of leadership in favor of upholding a principle which is abiding for every citizen. Batman is a perfect example of the Lawful Good type who defies authority.

Perhaps Rarity should be a Rogue? Deception and a variety of social skills seem to be in keeping with that class. Don't forget Exemplar, should Rarity be a high enough level. (I presume the Mane Six are somewhere around level 10 at this point in the show.)

AJ should go for Scout (reliance on movement) and Ranger (affinity with nature) so she can get Swift Ambusher and get her levels to stack. :P

First of all, I'm well aware of everything you said about alignment (I've spent a worrying amount of time reading and thinking about alignment) and I was on the fence about twilight anyway. I think I was inclined to make her lawful good simply because she's the main hero, if that makes any sense. You do make a good argument though, and I think I'm going to change it.

I think you may be on to something with casting rarity as a rogue. The only argument I have with that is that I can't see her fighting dirty in the manner that most rogues would. Also, I would probably have her cross as a minor spell casting class solely because she's a unicorn, although gnome racial abilities would cover her aptitude for magic without a magic oriented class. (Yeah, I'm thinking about this way too much) I would agree that the mane six are probably about level ten and I did prestige Fluttershy to Beastmaster, so Exemplar is a possibility. In fact, upon closer examination, I think rogue/expert/exemplar is probably the best answer. (on a side note bravo for suggesting a class that I had forgotten existed)

Applejack being a scout could work, however I feel that she relies more on strength than mobility and is effectively the "tank" of the group. I did already have her crossed with ranger, though.

This is a cool topic! I haven't played D&D for a while so please forgive me if I'm speaking from an outdated version. 

I wonder what everypony's ability scores would be? If I recall, there was Strength, Constitution (which was health and fortitude), Dexterity (agility), Wisdom (intuition, judgment and willpower), Intelligence, and Charisma (persuasiveness, charm, leadership abilities). 

8-10 would be an average score for a human for all ability scores. How would you guys rate the team? I'd say:

Twilight Sparkle:  Strength 8, Constitution 8, Dexterity 10, Wisdom 14, Intelligence 18, Charisma 11

Applejack: Strength 13, Constitution 13, Dexterity 9, Wisdom 16, Intelligence 13, Charisma 12

Rarity: Strength 9, Constitution 9, Dexterity 10, Wisdom 12, Intelligence 16, Charisma 16

Fluttershy: Strength 7, Constitution 8, Dexterity 11, Wisdom 11, Intelligence 12, Charisma 13

Pinkie Pie: Strength 8, Constitution 9, Dexterity 12, Wisdom 15, Intelligence 10, Charisma 12

Rainbow Dash: Strength 12, Constitution 11, Dexterity 18, Wisdom 9, Intelligence 14, Charisma 15

... I don't think they are equal at all there, oh well!

Depending on what edition you go by these scores may or may not be accurate. In the older versions where 18 was the highest score a character could ever achieve, it would probably be accurate. In 3.5 their abilities would probably be somewhat higher, since it is possible to get a score of over twenty in some cases. Also, I would probably give Pinkie higher charisma. Pretty good, though.

• Brohoof 1

Very interesting topic!  Definitely would like to see this expanded for perhaps more of the characters.  I don't play D & D myself, but I know quite a bit about it, largely thanks to Counter Monkey and the tales of Spoony the Bard!  ^_^   Speaking of which, I have just one question:

What's a paladin?  B)

(An epic brohoof to anypony who gets the joke!!!  :lol: )

• Brohoof 1

I must make fan art of this.

Totally beat you to it. :P

Very interesting topic!  Definitely would like to see this expanded for perhaps more of the characters.  I don't play D & D myself, but I know quite a bit about it, largely thanks to Counter Monkey and the tales of Spoony the Bard!  

Good grief, I haven't checked out Spoony in years.

Looks like he somewhat managed to climb out of the hole, he fell into after that whole Scarlett incident. Good for him.

And I really enjoy that newer Countermonkey stuff, thanks for the tip.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1

Depending on what edition you go by these scores may or may not be accurate. In the older versions where 18 was the highest score a character could ever achieve, it would probably be accurate. In 3.5 their abilities would probably be somewhat higher, since it is possible to get a score of over twenty in some cases. Also, I would probably give Pinkie higher charisma. Pretty good, though.

Since the ponies are mostly normal people I didn't think it would make sense to put their abilities into hero-level high, although it's good to know for future reference that in 3.5 the ability scores are on a different scale. Charisma was really hard; I agree that Pinkie has tons of friends and can cheer people up, but she doesn't actually seem to exert much influence. Maybe I should have given AJ and Twilight higher Charisma too, since they are both leader-types... whereas Fluttershy has no leadership ability but is incredibly charismatic with animals. Actually maybe I should have given Fluttershy higher Wisdom too. It's all so difficult!

Totally beat you to it. :P

Good grief, I haven't checked out Spoony in years.

Looks like he somewhat managed to climb out of the hole, he fell into after that whole Scarlett incident. Good for him.

And I really enjoy that newer Countermonkey stuff, thanks for the tip.

Ah ha!! But you did the humanized versions! :3

very good by the way, but I'm still going to do mine. I won't do humanized, I prefer drawing them as ponies ^.^

Hmmm, I would say Applejack be a fighter and Fluttershy a Beastmaster. but either way it is a clever idea to make a crossover with MLP with D&D.

Applejack already is a fighter and Fluttershy already is a Beastmaster... 

Also, considering the things she can do with her body, maybe Pinkies should be a monk, just with added countersong.

Pinkie lacks the discipline of a monk and definitely isn't lawful aligned, which is a monk requirement. Plus "Giggle at the Ghosties" was obviously inspire courage and the way she dealt with the parasprites is either fascinate or mass suggestion.

Also, your art is excellent.

Since the ponies are mostly normal people I didn't think it would make sense to put their abilities into hero-level high, although it's good to know for future reference that in 3.5 the ability scores are on a different scale. Charisma was really hard; I agree that Pinkie has tons of friends and can cheer people up, but she doesn't actually seem to exert much influence. Maybe I should have given AJ and Twilight higher Charisma too, since they are both leader-types... whereas Fluttershy has no leadership ability but is incredibly charismatic with animals. Actually maybe I should have given Fluttershy higher Wisdom too. It's all so difficult!

I'm used to playing in campaigns where everyone rolls up obscenely high attributes, so I'm used to ability scores being higher. The 3.5 scale is only different in that attributes can theoretically exceed 18, but 18 is still the highest you can roll. Fluttershy probably would have high charisma because even though she's shy, people generally like her and also, she was a model in one episode, meaning she has beauty and grace, which are mentioned in the books as being aspects of charisma. (except in AD&D, where comeliness was a separate ability)

Oh, and Pinkie would have high charisma because bardic music abilities are based on charisma, and her music does influence others at various times during the show. She probably just rolled a one on the performance in Appaloossa

Just updated: added a bunch of stuff and gave them levels, for whatever difference that makes. Please share your thoughts- I love to talk about this stuff!

Another Update: added Zecora, will add more when I get back from Class.

Update: added all the characters I could think of.

Edited by Alex-Kennedy
  • Brohoof 1

Pinkie lacks the discipline of a monk and definitely isn't lawful aligned, which is a monk requirement. Plus "Giggle at the Ghosties" was obviously inspire courage and the way she dealt with the parasprites is either fascinate or mass suggestion.

Also, your art is excellent.

It would appear I'm a bit rusty :( .

Also for Rarity: why not make her a bard/diplomancer with meaningful looks and whining standing in for songs?

Having not kept up with the rules since 2nd edition, probably nothing works as I remember it. Druids should always be True Neutral, unless maybe that was changed to accomodate prestige classes.

And can one of our talented artists draw Pinkie and Volo together at a tavern? That would rule.

Edited by Artemis

Having not kept up with the rules since 2nd edition, probably nothing works as I remember it. Druids should always be True Neutral, unless maybe that was changed to accomodate prestige classes.

And can one of our talented artists draw Pinkie and Volo together at a tavern? That would rule.

Druids have to be any neutral but are most commonly true neutral because their reliance on nature requires that they maintain balance.

Ughh, you bastard. Right in the nostalgia!

Anyway, I don't know about talented but here you go:

post-3492-0-62558500-1355351372_thumb.jpg

post-3492-0-18282000-1355351391_thumb.jpg

Also, a google search of "Volo" returns mostly images of some boyband (insert "I-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore"/"get-off my-lawn" here).

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1

I feel bad for asking this, but who's Volo? 

(character limit character limit character limit character limit character lim)

Why, only the most famous traveler of this world and companion to the great Elminster!!

He's the "author" of a series of awesome fluff books from back in the day. Imagine a bunch of books written by Twoflower with corrections and footnotes added by Rincewind (If that mean anything to you).

• Brohoof 1

You're my hero!

I can't imagine Elminster's response. He would probably be more incredulous about this piece of work than any preceding it, unless Twilight pops in for a visit to discuss magic with him or something.

Thanks. You made my day with that.

• Brohoof 1

I only mentioned the specifics of the alignments in order to elaborate my points. Plus I'm a D&D geek, so referring to the specific rules is in my blood. :P

I'd definitely have Rarity pegged as Neutral Good. She's the Element of Generosity, to altruism comes naturally to her. It would make her a rather unusual Rogue, but it would be the most appropriate for her character, I think.

Trixie can't be much more than a Level 5 Sorcerer, seeing as she is a performance magician rather than a dedicated student of magic like Twilight. Without the Alicorn Amulet, Trixie's magic is fairly tame; in terms of D&D rules, I suspect the Mane Six could more readily resist her spells than shown in "Boast Busters." We certainly have to account for the fact that the ponies have leveled up since Season 1.

I'm thinking AJ could be mostly Scout with a touch of Fighter (Level 2 Fighter for the two bonus feats!), making her a heavier hitter than Rainbow yet still preserving her mobility. Scout would also give her a bounty of skill points with which to pour into her physical skills (e.g., Tumble, Jump, Balance, Climb, etc.).

Moving back toward alignments, I'm of the opinion that Lawful Good works well for both Celestia and Luna. Luna has the greater tendency to go Knight Templar on everypony; Celestia, however, remains dutifully bound to protect her subjects. She's a very principled princess.

The spell lists for the princesses (and Discord!) would be tremendous. Frickin' Level 35 Wizards.

• Brohoof 1

Also for Rarity: why not make her a bard/diplomancer with meaningful looks and whining standing in for songs?

I thought it would make the most sense to have Rarity as a skill based character. Rogue, expert and exemplar were all suggested to me by people on this thread and the more I thought about it, the more it seemed right. Bard/diplomancer would also be valid although Pinkie Pie was a bard and I tried to avoid repetition.

I only mentioned the specifics of the alignments in order to elaborate my points. Plus I'm a D&D geek, so referring to the specific rules is in my blood. :P

I'd definitely have Rarity pegged as Neutral Good. She's the Element of Generosity, to altruism comes naturally to her. It would make her a rather unusual Rogue, but it would be the most appropriate for her character, I think.

Trixie can't be much more than a Level 5 Sorcerer, seeing as she is a performance magician rather than a dedicated student of magic like Twilight. Without the Alicorn Amulet, Trixie's magic is fairly tame; in terms of D&D rules, I suspect the Mane Six could more readily resist her spells than shown in "Boast Busters." We certainly have to account for the fact that the ponies have leveled up since Season 1.

I'm thinking AJ could be mostly Scout with a touch of Fighter (Level 2 Fighter for the two bonus feats!), making her a heavier hitter than Rainbow yet still preserving her mobility. Scout would also give her a bounty of skill points with which to pour into her physical skills (e.g., Tumble, Jump, Balance, Climb, etc.).

Moving back toward alignments, I'm of the opinion that Lawful Good works well for both Celestia and Luna. Luna has the greater tendency to go Knight Templar on everypony; Celestia, however, remains dutifully bound to protect her subjects. She's a very principled princess.

The spell lists for the princesses (and Discord!) would be tremendous. Frickin' Level 35 Wizards.

Once again, you have made several very good points.

You're right about Rarity, and I confirmed her alignment as neutral good in the OP. Really it isn't that strange for a rogue, and there do exist rogues of all alignments, even lawful. Besides, she is more a rogue for social skills than for stealth.

As a pure spellcaster Trixie couldn't be more than level five, but she is a fairly talented performer and illusionist, so I thought as a bard/virtuoso she could reasonably be total level ten. At any rate Virtuoso definitely fits her character.

I was on the fence about Celestia being neutral and I mostly just decided to make her the same alignment as Pelor, because it's the closest D&D equivalent to Celestia and I was lazy. I still might change it.

I gave Applejack two levels of scout, but like I said before, I think of her more as a "tank" and scout just doesn't feel right to me. If I were going to powergame these characters than I probably would give her more scout levels but going on personality, I see her more as a fighter.

The spell lists for Discord and the princesses would be frustatingly long, but they are effectively gods, and the gods as characters in 3.5 are 35 hit dice. Although they actually have special qualities that make them almost unbeatable even for a party of similar level.

In conclusion, I applaud you on your knowledge of D&D and your ability to apply it here.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, I greatly enjoying combining two major interests of mine (D&D and ponies) into a single discussion. There is certainly enough material to consider when building tentative sheets for even just the Mane Six.

I only hesitate to go with AJ as a fighter since Fighters tend to be one trick ponies (hyuk hyuk). Swashbuckler might be a suitable alternative: the class emphasizes a balance between skill and raw strength. If she were a Level 7 Swashbuckler, she could also get Acrobatic Charge, a nifty ability to have when you need to charge through the square of an ally to buck kick an manticore. The downside of Swashbuckler is that AJ would not get the heavy armor class bonus to her AC.

By the way, how would you treat the racial abilities? Regular ponies get Low-Light Vision and Scent; but given the fact that each type of pony in MLP (i.e., Earth Pony, Unicorn, and Pegasus) has unique abilities, I suspect we would have to homebrew.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, I greatly enjoying combining two major interests of mine (D&D and ponies) into a single discussion. There is certainly enough material to consider when building tentative sheets for even just the Mane Six.

I only hesitate to go with AJ as a fighter since Fighters tend to be one trick ponies (hyuk hyuk). Swashbuckler might be a suitable alternative: the class emphasizes a balance between skill and raw strength. If she were a Level 7 Swashbuckler, she could also get Acrobatic Charge, a nifty ability to have when you need to charge through the square of an ally to buck kick an manticore. The downside of Swashbuckler is that AJ would not get the heavy armor class bonus to her AC.

By the way, how would you treat the racial abilities? Regular ponies get Low-Light Vision and Scent; but given the fact that each type of pony in MLP (i.e., Earth Pony, Unicorn, and Pegasus) has unique abilities, I suspect we would have to homebrew.

If I were going to create new racial abilities for each tribe, I would probably keep earth ponies largely the same as regular D&D ponies, but the other two would be more difficult. The fact that magic is exclusive to unicorns would make them somewhat unbalanced, and pegasi would have a huge advantage in combat because of their flight, not to mention being able to fly over many obstacles. 

I was able to justify Pinkie and AJ being spellcasting classes (ranger and bard) only because they are both classes which don't rely on traditional sources of magic power (rangers get their magic solely from being so strongly connected to nature, and bards get their magic from music and other forms of performance). I wouldn't want to limit all spellcasting classes to one race, but I don't see a way out of it that wouldn't contradict the canon of the series.

As for pegasi, I could live with them having significant advantages from flight, but it would have to be played out properly both by the DM and the player. I don't think walking on clouds would be an issue very often, but magic still allows non-pegasi to walk on clouds temporarily anyway. Flight would probably translate to increased movement speed and dodge bonus to AC, although the best way to deal with it might be to make flight a skill, much like the lycanthrope control shape skill.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to make prestige classes that tailored to each of the tribes and made them more balanced. I've done similar things before when adapting things for D&D.

Update: I just finished adding feats for the Mane Six, which was more difficult than I expected. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Update: I just finished adding feats to all the other characters. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be. I'll probably add ability scores next. As always, I appreciate your feedback.