Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Mane Six As D&D Characters

Alex Kennedy

Hell yeah! The Guard Captain Shining Armor is a paladin! My preferred class. Makes sense to (as long as one ignores the "divine vs. arcane" magic rule.)

For some reason everyone I play with hates paladins, but I really like them. I think Shining Armor's magic would fall under divine anyway, because he specializes in shield spells. Regardless, the only other class that might have been appropriate is knight, but in terms of abilities I thought that paladin was closer.

• Brohoof 1

For some reason everyone I play with hates paladins, but I really like them. I think Shining Armor's magic would fall under divine anyway, because he specializes in shield spells. Regardless, the only other class that might have been appropriate is knight, but in terms of abilities I thought that paladin was closer.

I was more referring to "divine vs. arcane" in the source of where he gets his magic from. ALL magic in Equestria appears to be "arcane" as would be described in the D&D manual.

HATE PALADINS?! I understand playing as them can be a bit frustrating because of our Code of Conduct. But I always found that helped reinforce my character during play. (I wouldn't want to do the things the code forbids anyway!) What was their problem with them?

• Brohoof 1

You're the second person making fan art for this, not to mention silverwisp already made similar art a while back. That said, I look forward to it, post here or send me a message when you finish.

I was more referring to "divine vs. arcane" in the source of where he gets his magic from. ALL magic in Equestria appears to be "arcane" as would be described in the D&D manual.

HATE PALADINS?! I understand playing as them can be a bit frustrating because of our Code of Conduct. But I always found that helped reinforce my character during play. (I wouldn't want to do the things the code forbids anyway!) What was their problem with them?

My friends seem to think paladins are underpowered or something. I really don't understand why. The Code of Conduct isn't even necessarily an issue because there are alignment variations of paladins for evil and chaotic characters.

Update: Just realized there's a dream domain for clerics in The Complete Divine, changed Luna to a cross-class cleric/wizard accordingly.

Hell yeah! The Guard Captain Shining Armor is a paladin! My preferred class. Makes sense to (as long as one ignores the "divine vs. arcane" magic rule.)

Very interesting topic!  Definitely would like to see this expanded for perhaps more of the characters.  I don't play D & D myself, but I know quite a bit about it, largely thanks to Counter Monkey and the tales of Spoony the Bard!  ^_^   Speaking of which, I have just one question:

What's a paladin?  B)

(An epic brohoof to anypony who gets the joke!!!  :lol: )

How did I not make this joke sooner? Oh well, better late than never, I guess.

WARNING: incoming epicness

That may well be Spoony's finest moment.

Update: I would have added abilities scores now but I'm not sure if I should actually roll them or just go with my gut.

Edited by Alex-Kennedy
  • Brohoof 1

You might just want to take a look at this.

Also, I don't think stating the royal Sisters is a good idea.

DM (as Crysalis): "Cast you feeble spell, mortals, it will do you no goo-"

Shining Armor's player: "Natural twenty."

Cadence player: "Me too."

DM: :blink:

Also, I don't think chaotic evil fits Chrysalis. She clearly takes relish in causing others to suffer, but it is in order to feed herself and her people, not for the sake of the act. Maybe make it Neutral Evil.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
Also, I don't think chaotic evil fits Chrysalis. She clearly takes relish in causing others to suffer, but it is in order to feed herself and her people, not for the sake of the act. Maybe make it Neutral Evil.

You make a good point, but alignment is really tricky. As a queen herself, chaotic probably doesn't actually apply, and she doesn't necessarily want to create disorder. I think I will agree that Neutral Evil is probably better.

I'm planning on starting a pony-based D&D roleplay here on the forums, if any of you are interested. Let me know if you want to play or have any questions here: http://mlpforums.com/topic/42494-pony-dd-anyone/#entry1007345

And now I'm going to quote you all in a pathetic bid to get your attention, because I truly have no shame.

You might just want to take a look at this.

DM (as Crysalis): "Cast you feeble spell, mortals, it will do you no goo-"

Shining Armor's player: "Natural twenty."

Cadence player: "Me too."

DM: :blink:

I shall make fan art of this! expect rough drafts of the mane 6 in 30min. I think that this is awesome! I'll try to make full art of them before christmas. also, for any good D&D playing I suggest "The Gamers" on youtube

Oh, I greatly enjoying combining two major interests of mine (D&D and ponies) into a single discussion. There is certainly enough material to consider when building tentative sheets for even just the Mane Six.

I only hesitate to go with AJ as a fighter since Fighters tend to be one trick ponies (hyuk hyuk). Swashbuckler might be a suitable alternative: the class emphasizes a balance between skill and raw strength. If she were a Level 7 Swashbuckler, she could also get Acrobatic Charge, a nifty ability to have when you need to charge through the square of an ally to buck kick an manticore. The downside of Swashbuckler is that AJ would not get the heavy armor class bonus to her AC.

By the way, how would you treat the racial abilities? Regular ponies get Low-Light Vision and Scent; but given the fact that each type of pony in MLP (i.e., Earth Pony, Unicorn, and Pegasus) has unique abilities, I suspect we would have to homebrew.

You're my hero!

I can't imagine Elminster's response. He would probably be more incredulous about this piece of work than any preceding it, unless Twilight pops in for a visit to discuss magic with him or something.

Thanks. You made my day with that.

Sorry, there were a few people I didn't shamelessly quote in a pathetic bid to get their attention before, see above for more information

Seems about right, though I'm not too sure about Rarity being an aristocrat. She bucked that Manticore in the face pretty hard :P

I must make fan art of this.

I will return.

Since the ponies are mostly normal people I didn't think it would make sense to put their abilities into hero-level high, although it's good to know for future reference that in 3.5 the ability scores are on a different scale. Charisma was really hard; I agree that Pinkie has tons of friends and can cheer people up, but she doesn't actually seem to exert much influence. Maybe I should have given AJ and Twilight higher Charisma too, since they are both leader-types... whereas Fluttershy has no leadership ability but is incredibly charismatic with animals. Actually maybe I should have given Fluttershy higher Wisdom too. It's all so difficult!

Hmmm, I would say Applejack be a fighter and Fluttershy a Beastmaster. but either way it is a clever idea to make a crossover with MLP with D&D.

Very interesting topic!  Definitely would like to see this expanded for perhaps more of the characters.  I don't play D & D myself, but I know quite a bit about it, largely thanks to Counter Monkey and the tales of Spoony the Bard!  ^_^   Speaking of which, I have just one question:

What's a paladin?  B)

(An epic brohoof to anypony who gets the joke!!!  :lol: )

Rarity is more of an Expert IMO, what with her dressmaking. And I think Expert covers the field of artisans, smiths, and tailors.   

Seems about right, though I'm not too sure about Rarity being an aristocrat. She bucked that Manticore in the face pretty hard :P

I will return.

Do you have any interest in a pony based D&D campaign? If you are, see here:http://mlpforums.com/topic/42494-pony-dd-anyone/page-5#entry1036966

I already indirectly asked you and everyone else on this thread about this a while ago but I thought I'd give it another shot because we could really use a few more people.

Also, did you ever do that fan art?

I would have addressed this to weeks ago when you said it, but at the time I was confused as to what you were saying. In D&D, most deities have been statted; the only one I know of that hasn't is the Lady of Pain from Planescape, who is so powerful even the gods don't mess with her, and she wasn't statted because it shouldn't be even theoretically possible to beat her, which it would be if you gave her attributes as a character/monster. If Nerull and Pelor can be statted, I don't see why the sisters can't.

Is there any reason Spike can't just be a dragon? It would be uncommon for a Player Character in a traditional game, but the rules do exist and since the others are already ponies some things would have to be slightly altered anyway.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Is there any reason Spike can't just be a dragon? It would be uncommon for a Player Character in a traditional game, but the rules do exist and since the others are already ponies some things would have to be slightly altered anyway.

Since he isn't raised among dragons and doesn't act like them, I think a dragon disciple works because they have some traits of a dragon without actually being dragons. As for an actual reason, that just seemed like a copout, I guess.  

Update: I added King Sombra. Not that anybody really cares anymore, but still. Maybe someday I'll actually finish this, but I need to get a couple more books to find appropriate stuff for some characters. That, and I'm too lazy to do ability scores. Also, the typo in the title was finally corrected. This is the happiest day of my life.

Update: I should have posted this a while ago actually but I was busy spending all my time on the forums working on DMing and helping people prepare for my campaign (which is still looking for more people by the way, see here for details), that I pretty much abandoned this project. Anyway, these are the traits I've been using for races so far, although they're flexible if need be.

Earth Ponies= humans (most versatile, time not spent on magic/flight can be dedicated to other skills hence the bonus feats and skill points)

Unicorns= Half-elves or gnomes, but with bonus spells (innate magical abilities and resistances)

Pegasi= Halflings, but still count as a medium size class, with flight as its own skill (nimble and agile to allow for flight)

Zebras= Dwarves or half-orcs (I don't know why but Dwarf just felt right. Also they get a penalty to charisma because everyone thinks they're evil enchantresses.)

I'd do griffins and other things if they came up, but I haven't had to yet, and I don't know what I'd do with them.

I will return.

Do you have any interest in a pony based D&D campaign? If you are, see here:http://mlpforums.com/topic/42494-pony-dd-anyone/page-5#entry1036966

I already indirectly asked you and everyone else on this thread about this a while ago but I thought I'd give it another shot because we could really use a few more people.

Also, did you ever do that fan art?

So... are you ever going to answer my question? Or are you just not going to bother responding, that works too I guess. *sighs*... so lonely.

Edited by Alex-Kennedy

This is a cool topic! I haven't played D&D for a while so please forgive me if I'm speaking from an outdated version. 

I wonder what everypony's ability scores would be? If I recall, there was Strength, Constitution (which was health and fortitude), Dexterity (agility), Wisdom (intuition, judgment and willpower), Intelligence, and Charisma (persuasiveness, charm, leadership abilities). 

8-10 would be an average score for a human for all ability scores. How would you guys rate the team? I'd say:

Twilight Sparkle:  Strength 8, Constitution 8, Dexterity 10, Wisdom 14, Intelligence 18, Charisma 11

Applejack: Strength 13, Constitution 13, Dexterity 9, Wisdom 16, Intelligence 13, Charisma 12

Rarity: Strength 9, Constitution 9, Dexterity 10, Wisdom 12, Intelligence 16, Charisma 16

Fluttershy: Strength 7, Constitution 8, Dexterity 11, Wisdom 11, Intelligence 12, Charisma 13

Pinkie Pie: Strength 8, Constitution 9, Dexterity 12, Wisdom 15, Intelligence 10, Charisma 12

Rainbow Dash: Strength 12, Constitution 11, Dexterity 18, Wisdom 9, Intelligence 14, Charisma 15

... I don't think they are equal at all there, oh well!

Rainbow Dash has crazy good stats, dang... She needs to spread some of that love to fluttershy. Other than that it seems good enough, twilight should have higher int though

Given her feminine charm and magical abilites, I'd think Rarity would make for a much better Beguiler than a Rogue...

Rarity is best Beguiler.

I thought about making her a beguiler but I didn't for two reasons. First of all, I don't have the second player's handbook and therefor don't know the Beguiler very well, and second, I've debated what her class should be with several other people already, and the conclusion we came to is that she would be more of a skill-based character.

• 1 month later...

Not that anybody cares about this thread anymore (including me for the most part), but I thought I might as well post on here that I'm looking to get a D&D game together over Skype. This is entirely unrelated to the game I posted about on here a while ago. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

• 1 year later...
(edited)

This would of course require the setting to be Midnight but the best class for Rainbow Dash would be Defender, especially when the Quickened Heroic Path is chosen to go with it.

Defender Class: http://darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com/class_defender.htm

Quickened Heroic Path: http://darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com/hp-quickened.htm

This allows both for Rainbow Dash to have high speed and a near equivalent to the Sonic Rainboom through the ability Burst of Speed. Heck at 20th level, if a straight Defender that chooses the ability Incredible Speed each time, Rainbow Dash would have a movement speed of 100 + SMS and double that if using Burst of Speed. To put it simply, Rainbow Dash can easily be where ever the heck she wants on the field and always easily outrun others. Even at low levels she would be very fast.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

Some opinionated notes I wish to share:

Spike is Twilight's familiar; an improved familiar to be exact. I believe this feat should replace Craft Wonderous Item

Twlilight was given the alicorn subtype, raising her ECL.

Pinkie should have the Disguise Spell feat

(edited)

I thought about making her a beguiler but I didn't for two reasons. First of all, I don't have the second player's handbook and therefor don't know the Beguiler very well, and second, I've debated what her class should be with several other people already, and the conclusion we came to is that she would be more of a skill-based character.

You realize a Beguiler is a skillbased class correct? It is in many was a mix of a Rogue and Sorcerer.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20060711a

Edited by EquestrianScholar

• 2 years later...

SUPER late to the convo but I would like to make some notes on King Sombra, i agree with making him a necromancy based wizard but id throw in all 5 lvls of Dread Witch(ALL the fear effects etc.) and lvls of Dread Necromancer(yes his magic is dark but DN takes the cake) heck maybe even some warlock. Give him corpsecrafter feats, metamagics and what not and you have a truly terrifying individual that can command ARMIES of undead or a small group of highly deadly/powerful and specialized undead.