Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn Twilight, Removed Derpy & More Hasbro Control Rumors

Mister Jack

Um, did Jayson Thiessen just call me paranoid?

For that matter, what does anyone really expect him to say?  If it were true it's not like he could come out and say it.  His answer isn't really a no, either.  It's kind of evasive.  I'm not calling the man a liar, just saying that asking him for unreleased info on the show is unlikely to get you anywhere.

Again, I'm not taking the rumor as gospel truth, either.  It might end up being a hoax....but it might not, and that's what worries me.

But hey, focus on the good news!  Jason Thiessen read your forum post.  That's more than some can say.  Sure, he criticized your post, but you earned his attention for at least a moment.  And don't feel too bad about a playful insult from Thiessen.  Lauren Faust once posted a tweet (lightly) mocking me, and I consider it a success.

However, I think we can safely agree that the Reddit thing is a hoax.  Why would any guy who works on the show make a Reddit account just to rant and give spoilers?   Twilight may still become an Alicorn at some point in the show, but almost certainly not in Season Three.  Unless Hasbro decided to do a complete 180 on their Derpy policy in the past 3-4 months, the cross-eyed mare will be fine.  And Season Four will probably come along as well; the ratings are too good for it not to.

By the way, I figured out it was fake because of the following lines that kinda give it away.

"You may have noticed her greatly reduced appearances in Season Three".  The wording of this isn't something a DHX person would write.  They would be more frank (ex. "Derpy has had fewer appearances in Season Three").

"Short of an overwhelming response from the fanbase..."  Firstly, it's unlikely that even that would do anything (remember Derpygate?), so it's highly unlikely that a DHX person would have written that.  Secondly, it sort of confirms that motive for the fake author: Generate a flame war against Hasbro.

The Reddit post is written by a troll, guys.  We should stop the attention.  While the primary suspect is a trolling Brony who hates Hasbro, I wouldn't be surprised if it was written by someone from /b/ or GNAA who isn't even a Brony (they did their research, though).

Edited by Starswirl the Trixied
  • Brohoof 4

But hey, focus on the good news!  Jason Thiessen read your forum post.  That's more than some can say.  Sure, he criticized your post, but you earned his attention for at least a moment.  And don't feel too bad about a playful insult from Thiessen.  Lauren Faust once posted a tweet (lightly) mocking me, and I consider it a success.

However, I think we can safely agree that the Reddit thing is a hoax.  Why would any guy who works on the show make a Reddit account just to rant and give spoilers?   Twilight may still become an Alicorn at some point in the show, but almost certainly not in Season Three.  Unless Hasbro decided to do a complete 180 on their Derpy policy in the past 3-4 months, the cross-eyed mare will be fine.  And Season Four will probably come along as well; the ratings are too good for it not to.

By the way, I figured out it was fake because of the following lines that kinda give it away.

"You may have noticed her greatly reduced appearances in Season Three".  The wording of this isn't something a DHX person would write.  They would be more frank (ex. "Derpy has had fewer appearances in Season Three").

"Short of an overwhelming response from the fanbase..."  Firstly, it's unlikely that even that would do anything (remember Derpygate?), so it's highly unlikely that a DHX person would have written that.  Secondly, it sort of confirms that motive for the fake author: Generate a flame war against Hasbro.

The Reddit post is written by a troll, guys.  We should stop the attention.  While the primary suspect is a trolling Brony who hates Hasbro, I wouldn't be surprised if it was written by someone from /b/ or GNAA who isn't even a Brony (they did their research, though).

Pretty much my sentiments as of now. Also I may be a bit ignorant here, but who or what are the GNAA? Are they the ones who pulled the Mando Pony stunt back a few weeks ago?

This would be a good idea, except Hasbro OWNS the MLP franchise. Doing this would be illegal unless someone were to A: buy the MLP franchise, B: Hasbro simply gives them the franchise (GOOD LUCK), or C: the copyright were to somehow expire or become invalid.

In the meantime, i was wondering if a boycott were possible, 

"We bronies won't buy ANYTHING from hasbro until they shut up and stop screwing with the series!"

If you did that, the show would probably just end up getting cancelled.  If Hasbro doesn't make money on the toys, they stop making the show.

Um, did Jayson Thiessen just call me paranoid?

For that matter, what does anyone really expect him to say?  If it were true it's not like he could come out and say it.  His answer isn't really a no, either.  It's kind of evasive.  I'm not calling the man a liar, just saying that asking him for unreleased info on the show is unlikely to get you anywhere.

Again, I'm not taking the rumor as gospel truth, either.  It might end up being a hoax....but it might not, and that's what worries me.

Why in the world is everyone so mortified at the prospect of Twilight becoming an Alicorn or a Princess?

Status quos get shaken up all the time in kid's shows.  I would recommend everyone take a deep breath and watch what they do with the show first, rather than freak out over it before anything has even happened.  I mean, some of you out there aren't just freaking out over this, you guys are displaying a whole new LEVEL of freaking out over it.  Relax.  Nothing's happened yet.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

And a tweet from Jayson Thiessen: wow, it sure is easy to fool the internet... course, when you're paranoid you'll jump at anything.

Exactly why if I were him, I'd take the chance to dick around with people by producing a stream of progressively sillier rumors.

More thoughts on Alicorn Twilight:

I'd sound like a broken record if I just said that I think it's a horrendously bad idea (which it is). So instead I'm going to talk about the effects this will have on the rest of the show.

There will be five ponies, and they could very well be played down after the all powerful Pony Sue rolls in. After all, fans don't want six relateable well-rounded characters, they want one overpowered unsympathetic all-powerful princess! Why should Hasbro listen to the people who gave it half its profits, anyways?

The Mane Six could get a new member to make up for the now-missing Twilight (Rest in Peace). She'll be a unicorn and could go one of two ways: be a new rounded character with her own traits and flaws...or another excuse to sell toys. And the way things are going, I'd say the latter is pretty certain should Alicorn Twi be true.

Thoughts on Derpy removal:

Now, i know Derpy was controversial. But Snips and Snails are allowed in the show. It's a Double Standard--male "derpy" characters get off scot free, female "derpy" characters are "offensive". Why take away the brony fandom's avatar? Because they want to play it safe. No funny gags, no cute scenes, no nothing. Goodbye one-fifth of what makes this show so great.

Add Alicorn Twi? Two fifths. The other three are well-rounded characters with personality, well-written and surprising episodes, and good lessons. And since the show is turning into Hasbro's last abysmal attempts at publicizing MLP, the last three are at severe risk. If these things hold to be true by the end of season 3 or the start of season 4, I'm going to stop watching the show. I won't leave the forum, of course, but I'll kiss MLP: FiM goodbye.

In response to the good: Only thing comforting in there, really, is that our friend Daniel Ingram is back! :D How cool is that!

In response to the bad: *facehoof* I mean, seriously? What does Twilight do, grow wings? I don't think Hasbro will be making more money, but they will make less. With all those brony fans, how many of them are gonna buy it? After all, the majority of MLP fans are bronies!

In response to the ugly: I'm neutral with this. While Derpy is a great pony and a great representative for those with disabilities who I am very sorry for, as even they love Derpy, she will be not as completely missed as the unicorn Twilight, who, as I just realized, still needs to learn how to fly.

Response in general: Hasbro aren't making the best of choices, but all we can do is respond, and in most cases, cope.

Seems odd that someone would post something like this and risk losing their job. Besides, any and every person in the community is making those guesses about Twilight and Derpy, it's not rocket science for someone to just take those guesses and make up a straight up lie with them, seriously. I really hope they're both not true though. :huh:

• Brohoof 2

Pretty much my sentiments as of now. Also I may be a bit ignorant here, but who or what are the GNAA? Are they the ones who pulled the Mando Pony stunt back a few weeks ago?

It's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Nigger_Association_of_America

Basically it's a collection of trolls who aren't very good at trolling.  They're the people who hacked the Bronystate livestream two weeks ago in an attempt to cause a Brony vs 4chan flame war (they failed miserably).

• Brohoof 2

Hmm, Hasbro haven't really been listening to the bronies' point of view. Is this a step to try and get rid of us? Or am I just being paranoid...

I think we both are … I'm kinda leaning toward the same thing here.  Is hasbro ignoring us to target more little girls? Maybe maybe  :huh:  :(

As has been said before this is fake IMHO.  Anyone that would have that kind of information wouldn't be allowed to talk about it on penalty of breach of contract and a rather large civil judgement.  I would hope that Hasbro has enough collective intelligence to not shoot themselves in the foot by ignoring a huge part of their market share.  Everyone should:

Sure, a single post user "MarketingThrowaway" is a member of the MLP team. This seems totally legit.

My opinions on the info he "leaked": I never cared for derpy. If a "character" never does anything except be a background gag, I'm perfectly okay with the removal of said background gag.

On Alicorn Twilight: silly Hasbro. You should know better that all the Mane 6 should become alicorns!

/THEORY

I think that Twilight may become an Alicorn for just one episode to protect something due to a spell or artifact. This would also boost sales as the toy could be "limited edition".

/THEORY

Of course we don't even know if this is true, the guy might just be spreading false information based on what is already known/teased/rumoured.

• Brohoof 3

Oh, is that what everyone's been freaking about this past couple of days?

Reddit isn't really a reliable source for much of anything, so people need to chill. It's not like it's the end of the world, or something like that. Just gotta let it be...

Oh, is that what everyone's been freaking about this past couple of days?

Reddit isn't really a reliable source for much of anything, so people need to chill. It's not like it's the end of the world, or something like that. Just gotta let it be...

Honestly, even if it were true, I don't know why people are so upset at the prospect of Twilight becoming a Princess or Alicorn.  I doubt she'd be written off the show as a result.

When Usagi found out that she was Princess Serenity, she didn't just up and leave the show.  She was still the main character, and her personality didn't really change all that much.  And other cartoons and shows do these kinds of things all the time, and there's never been any major changes to their personalities as a result.  All it does is raise the stakes and maybe make the plotlines a bit more serious.

So honestly, I have no idea why everyone's so upset.  Twilight will still be Twilight, no matter what happens.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

Here's why people don't like the idea of alicorn Twilight:

Let's assume for the sake of argument that this rumor is 100% true and Twilight is permanently changed into an alicorn.  This would seriously damage the show's dynamic because she would no longer be an equal amongst her friends.  Right now we have two unicorns, two pegasi, and two earth ponies.  It's a perfect balance.  Not only would making Twilight an alicorn wreck that balance, but it would place her on a level above the other protagonists.  It wouldn't be the Mane 6 but "Twilight and the Mane 5."  In this show's universe, being an alicorn is a huge deal.  It's highly unlikely that Twilight could go on living in the library as a normal pony if she became a supremely powerful being, and even if she did it would be rather jarring.  It'd be like finding Superman working at a car wash.

You know how in DBZ, once super saiyans were introduced all the other non-saiyan characters became totally useless and were left in the dust?  I think something along those lines is why people are bothered by the prospect of alicorn Twilight.  Luna, Celestia, and Cadance are far more powerful than any other pony in the show.  Alicorns are practically a walking deus ex machina, so you have to find some excuse to not have them show up and instantly solve the plot's conflict (Celestia losing to Chrysalis, Cadance being forced to maintain a barrier).  If they end up having to constantly do this with a main character, it would quickly get tiresome.

Edited by Mister Jack
  • Brohoof 2

Here's why people don't like the idea of alicorn Twilight:

Let's assume for the sake of argument that this rumor is 100% true and Twilight is permanently changed into an alicorn.  This would seriously damage the show's dynamic because she would no longer be an equal amongst her friends.  Right now we have two unicorns, two pegasi, and two earth ponies.  It's a perfect balance.  Not only would making Twilight an alicorn wreck that balance, but it would place her on a level above the other protagonists.  It wouldn't be the Mane 6 but "Twilight and the Mane 5."  In this show's universe, being an alicorn is a huge deal.  It's highly unlikely that Twilight could go on living in the library as a normal pony if she became a supremely powerful being, and even if she did it would be rather jarring.  It'd be like finding Superman working at a car wash.

You know how in DBZ, once super saiyans were introduced all the other non-saiyan characters became totally useless and were left in the dust?  I think something along those lines is why people are bothered by the prospect of alicorn Twilight.  Luna, Celestia, and Cadance are far more powerful than any other pony in the show.  Alicorns are practically a walking deus ex machina, so you have to find some excuse to not have them show up and instantly solve the plot's conflict (Celestia losing to Chrysalis, Cadance being forced to maintain a barrier).  If they end up having to constantly do this with a main character, it would quickly get tiresome.

When you think about it though, Twilight's already really powerful as is.  So really, what difference would it make?  She'd still be Twilight.

Not to mention, let's pretend for a moment that this happens.  She's one of the six Elements of Harmony.  They couldn't just write her out of the show, or write the others out of the show.  So my guess is that it would be more like it was in Sailor Moon, where we only saw Princess Serenity in the major battles, and she was still Usagi/Sailor Moon in the mainstream situations.  Even Princess Serenity needed the others (in Beryl's case, their spirits) in order to defeat most of the major villains.  And if she did indeed become 'too powerful', then they'd just find a way to upgrade the others to balance the equation a little more.

As for the Super Saiyan thing, I actually have far more confidence in the writers of FiM than I would ever put into the writers of DBZ, to not let something like that happen with the cast.  They turned My Little Pony into a show that appeals to males.  I really don't think they'd have a problem figuring out how to incorporate Twilicorn into the cast.

This is assuming she DOES become an Alicorn.  I still have serious doubts about that, especially since there are NO TRADEMARKS indicating this, and Hasbro would trademark it in five seconds if they really were planning it.  It just doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective. 

If you wany MY opinion though, I don't think making her an Alicorn would even be necessary for her to become the most powerful character in the show.  In alot of ways, she already IS the most powerful character.  It's clear that she has an entire ocean of untapped power inside of her.  So one catalyst is likely all it would take to unleash it.  A better question to ask yourself is, what would that catalyst be?  What would drive her to unleash the TRUE full force of her power?

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

Twilight is the most powerful unicorn, but that's kinda balanced out by the fact that she is still in training and her spells have a tendency to backfire on her.  I'm assuming that in order for her to ascend to alicornhood she has to get over this. 

And I don't think anyone feels they'll write Twilight out of the show.  At least, I don't.  In fact, I think the opposite.  She'd get way more focus than she's already getting.  The Elements of Harmony work as well as they do because they are, in a sense, all equal parts of one whole.  Twilight's unicorn magic may be stronger, but her friends make up for that with their own unique abilities.  If Twilight ends up with the powers of all three pony races, it's less like six equals combining into one unit and more like five planeteers giving their power to Captain Planet.

And this is coming from someone who ADORES Twilight and thinks she is the best pony on the show.  I love me some Twilight, but I don't want her to overshadow the others.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight is the most powerful unicorn, but that's kinda balanced out by the fact that she is still in training and her spells have a tendency to backfire on her.  I'm assuming that in order for her to ascend to alicornhood she has to get over this. 

And I don't think anyone feels they'll write Twilight out of the show.  At least, I don't.  In fact, I think the opposite.  She'd get way more focus than she's already getting.  The Elements of Harmony work as well as they do because they are, in a sense, all equal parts of one whole.  Twilight's unicorn magic may be stronger, but her friends make up for that with their own unique abilities.  If Twilight ends up with the powers of all three pony races, it's less like six equals combining into one unit and more like five planeteers giving their power to Captain Planet.

And this is coming from someone who ADORES Twilight and thinks she is the best pony on the show.  I love me some Twilight, but I don't want her to overshadow the others.

Someone fix the quotes, so we can do partial quotes again.

Anyway, you say that there would be more focus on Twilight.  I would say, 'Says who?'. 

Sailor Moon managed to cope with it just fine, and it didn't seem like any of the main characters got pushed aside when Usagi became Princess Serenity (the definition of a Deus Ex Machina, by the way).  And Alicorn or not, NONE of the ponies are ever going to become THAT powerful. 

Or what about KOS-MOS from Xenosaga?  She had weapons that could vaporize a planet if she really wanted to.  And it is true that in Episode I, she did overshadow the others, to some degree.  But from Episode II onward, the other characters really started to shine, almost to the point where KOS-MOS is pushed to the backburner for a good while.

So yes, there are ways to avoid her overshadowing the others if this does happen.  Again, I doubt this is actually happening, but I'm just trying to reassure people here that it isn't the end of the world if it does happen.

Edited by SBaby

The only thing that would change with Twilight becoming an Alicorn would be the fact that she can fly without magic. A few pages back I've posted a rant on the matter of the fact that there are several things that people are overlooking in regards to this. If it is true, and Twilight does become an Alicorn, she still has enough common sense and loyalty to still be Twilight. As I mentioned a few pages ago, Twilight could have easily walked away from the royal wedding after every single one of her friends, including the Element of Loyalty, Princess Celestia, And her own brother turned their backs on her for calling the fake cadence out, and the same one that again refused to go back to Canterlot so that she could stay with her friends. I think we should wait and see what happens before we forsake something just because of the simple fact that one of the unicorns grows a pair of wings.

And as far as spells backfiring, need I remind you that Princess Celestia has been defeated twice in the show (Once by Nightmare Moon, and Once by Chrysalis,) and was outsmarted by Disqord. That, and Princess Cadence, while admittedly the weakest of the Alicorns, appeared to had been easily been defeated by Chrysalis before she stared running as her impostor. So The argument that Alicorns are all mighty beings of Power at this point in the show, is all but null and void. While they might have an edge, from what we have actually been shown in the show, they are anything but overpowered.

• Brohoof 2

Celestia being defeated by Nightmare Moon is debatable.  She didn't even show up until the end of part 2.  There's a good chance she could have beaten Nightmare Moon with brute force if she wanted to, but that wouldn't have helped Luna.  And Discord, well, he's by far the most powerful magic user in the entire series.  It's doubtful anyone or anything else in the rest of the show is ever going to reach his level.  You can't have multiple villains who are that omnipotent.  We don't know how Cadance was captured but since Chrysalis ended up beating Celestia I'll just go ahead and assume that she beat Cadance first.  However, Cadance was still powerful enough to keep an entire empire shielded from Sombra, and the only reason it didn't work was because she eventually tired herself out.  I'm betting Cadance is weaker than Luna and Celestia but as far as raw magic goes she still seems stronger than Twilight, if not necessarily more versatile.

Something else from the premiere that should be remembered is that Celestia was testing Twilight's willingness to sacrifice her own interests for the greater good.  What, pray tell, is she eventually going to be asked to sacrifice?

Edited by Mister Jack

I don't see why they would try to get rid of us, I mean think of money they're probably making from this shows fandom; I doubt they'd try to exile their own fandom.

edit: stupid quote doesn't even work for me anymore. (-_-')

Edited by Fresh Meat

Based on everything I've read so far, and compelling evidence for this being true and for it being false, I'm going to say it's a hoax.

For one, "the next level of her studies" could mean anything - it doesn't necessarily mean she's going to become a princess or an alicorn. We'll just have to wait and see what happens in the season finale.

Hasbro has still green-lighted multiple pieces of Derpy merch, and all of those started being sold after the whole fiasco happened. Derpy jackets, while listed as Ditzy Doo, are still being sold on Hot Topic's site. I'm guessing that since season 3 was being worked on right when the controversy happened, they took Derpy out as much as they could as a precaution, while still keeping minimal amounts of her in order to avoid complete fan panic. As this does not seem necessary now, I predict we'll see more Derpy in Season 4.

I also wonder why a few people think this season is bad. Sure, the two-part season opener wasn't as good as Return to Harmony or A Canterlot Wedding, but it was still fun and was very good in its own right. Season one was great, and season two was very good overall, but it had some problematic moments. It seems to me that all the problematic moments are gone this season, and that the writers finally have a perfect grip on things. No episode, or even moment, has stood out as subpar. I think they really upped the quality this time around.

• Brohoof 1

I hope these aren't true.

Twilight an Alicorn Princess no thanks, I like her just the way she is besides I think she has a long way to go to before becoming an Alicorn Princess.

Derpy being removed?

I found her pretty cute but I she did get removed I wouldn't flip out but it would be slightly disappointing.

Though I'm relatively certain this is completely fake, it's probably worth mentioning to someone working on the show or at Hasbro proper. Maybe they'll shed some light on the subject, or at least punish the troll who leaked information he wasn't supposed to.

Just my two bits.