Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Best movie of 2012?

Brook

What is your favorite movie of 2012?  

20 users have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite movie of 2012?

• Amour
    • Argo
    • The Amazing Spider-Man
    • Marvel's The Avengers
    • Beasts of the Southern Wild
    • Brave
    • Chronicle
    • Disneynature's Chimpanzee
    • The Dark Knight Rises
    • Django Unchained
    • End of Watch
    • Flight
    • Frankenweenie
    • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    • The Hunger Games
    • The Impossible
    • Les Misérables
    • Life of Pi
    • Lincoln
    • Looper
    • Paranorman
    • Prometheus
    • Rise of the Guardians
    • Silver Linings Playbook
    • Skyfall
    • Snow White and the Huntsman
    • Ted
    • The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2
    • Wreck-It Ralph
    • Zero Dark Thirty
    • (other, and do explain in the thread, please.)

Anyway, while the decision to stretch The Hobbit into three movies was undoubtedly partly about the money, I think Peter Jackson also did this so he would not have to leave a single thing out of the movie. Even though The Lord of the Rings trilogy's films were each 3+ hours long, they still had to leave important stuff out of the movie. Since Jackson is stretching out one book into three movies, he won't have to remove one single tiny detail.

One single tiny detail? He added a ton of things that weren't in the book. Even that white orc who was trying to kill the dwarf prince wasn't in the book.

I liked The Hobbit the most. Though I also liked The Avengers and The Amazing Spiderman. Dark Knight Rises was cool but it didn't really feel like a batman movie for some reason. He didn't have enough screentime. The Dictator was quite funny too.

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 1

Wreck-It Ralph for sure.

The movie was so well designed, and brilliantly pleases both parties of gamers and non-gamers.

Also: Make a poll.

I would but I don't know all the movies that came out this year, also not everyone have watched all the movies or the same movies as others, and they might think those are better once they watch them.

Basically, most people will just choose "other" so it's kind of pointless :\

This is my list:

• The Last Ounce of Courage
  • Wreck it Ralph
  • Chronicle
  • Brave
  • Hunger Games

These are my all time favorites for 2012. Last Ounce of Courage was only in theaters for maybe 2-3 weeks unfortunately. A memorable movie, and stupid Hollywood gets in the way.

But Wreck it Ralph is the best Disney Animated I've seen. I saw it in theaters 5 times it was that good in my opinion.

"Why did the hero flush the toilet? Because it was his.... Duty!!"

• Brohoof 1

I haven't seen too many releases this year. Only The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers and Skyfall. My rankings?

1.) The Dark Knight Rises--I enjoyed seeing Bruce Wayne's growth as a character. Plus Nolan, Goyer and Nolan did a great job gathering together threads from the previous two films and tying them up with a plot that didn't feel as if they were writing with a checklist of things to do. Bane being a dark mirror to Batman was a great decision on the part of NGN; I want a prequel comic series about Bane and his friend.

2.) The Avengers--It didn't pack the sort of emotional puch that TDKR did. That said its still superb sci-fi. My favorite characters weren't actually the super-powered members of the team; they were Black Widow and Hawkeye. My favorite scene was the one between Widow and Loki where we got a look into Widow's past. The Leviathans and Thanos' advisor were my favorite alien entities from the film.

3.) Skyfall--The sequence in Hong Kong was well-shot. I especially liked the film after it got to Skyfall. Beautiful location and I enjoyed the look into Bond's past. The showdown with Silva was high on emotion, which I really liked. The finale in the chapel was excellent. It will be hard for them to surpass that in the future Bond films, I think. I am no great fan of the Bond novels nor the film series; I saw this one out of curiosty and really liked Silva as a villain, once we got past the initial meeting between him and Bond.

I have yet to see TH:AUJ; it looks good though.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't seen too many movies this year, but I have seen some. Here are my top 3.

#3. Brave. I love Pixar movies, and while this one may not have had quite as much going on in it as past movies have, it was still very well-done. I LOVE Scottish culture, and I liked that Merida had an accent.

#2. Hunger Games. I don't know how this movie compares to the book, since I've yet to read it, but I enjoyed it. The dystopian future thing has been done a lot in sci-fi, but I thought this offered a pretty fresh take on it and was very interesting.

#1. The Avengers. Dear sweet Celestia this movie was AMAZING! Definitely the best of the superhero genre, it was action-packed and just all-around awesome.

Here are my favorites:

- Moonrise Kingdom

- Argo

- ParaNorman

- Frankenweenie

- Chronicle

- Skyfall

- Prometheus

- To Rome with Love

I'm really itching to go see Les Miserables once it comes out next Tuesday.

I was holding off on this until after I went to go see les mis to be able to give my full thoughts on this matter.  but  now I can say that it's  Les miserables.    it was long  but it was soooo worth every minute of it.  I am 100% sure that i will go see it again sometime next week. maybe wednesday.  the one that that was a little off putting was hugh jackman didn't quite live up to my  high expectations I placed upon "bring him home"  prior to leaving for the movie, because that is very high on my list of top favorite les mis songs.

I saw a lot of movies this year I think and I was planing on making like a top 10 or 25 list. Still need to see a few more, but here are like my top 5 or so. First off it was a great year for Super hero movies. Not going to do any explaining as to why I like the movie. Just a list.

1. Avengers

2. Wreck It-Ralph (Love this movie)

3. Argo

4. Spider-man

5. Dark Night Rises

This it right now. Like I said, need to see more.

Les Miserables! No movie I have ever seen can top that ever. They took the musical and made a movie adaptation of it, keeping it as a musical. It was pretty much everything I'd hope they make out of a Les Miserables movie.

• Brohoof 1

1. Hobbit: Unexpected Journey

2. Battleship 2012

3. Prometheus

although there is a serious lack of movies lately but Hobbit did bring me memories of LotR thanks to the same actors playing, the good old LotR times when there was no 3D even

4. Resident Evil: Retribution

5. Dark Rift

I like REvil and Mila Jovovic but I think from the 4th part it wasn't so decent, haven't seen RE5 though, nor Dark Rift which I would understand is an awful one but I was interested in watching the latter too.

Edited by ImtR
  • Brohoof 1

The hobbit an unexpected journey. The characters were awesome,actors awesome,setting,everything is awesome. Middle earth is awesome,also it was nice to see actors who did LotR and new ones. Also i liked that the movie was 3 hours. Cant wait for the second movie. Also i liked that they made 3 movies.

Edited by GamerLuna7

Oh, also... How come nobody mentioned The Hunger Games?

That movie was totally freaken sweet life. You had action, romance, cool people dressed up in cool clothes, technology, friendship, and even a freaken awesome beard. That movie is definitely my favorite movie of 2012.

I personally hated the hunger games. Reading the book, they left out a lot of important things (Katniss' hearing loss in the explosion, the fact she's trying to love Peeta for the cameras was lost, and you know... the actual hunger.).

That CGI fire was also horrible... :/

My opinion on the movie, but my friend who never read the books didn't understand most of it. So I probably won't be watching the sequel.

The Expendables 2. Over-the-top gore and violence? Yep. Stupid one-liners? Check. 1 hour and (approximately) 45 minutes of pure awesome? You bet.

I actually loved this film! I thought the character inter-play, especially between Statham and Stallone was very well done, and that made it much more than just lots of blowing things up!

3.) Skyfall--The sequence in Hong Kong was well-shot. I especially liked the film after it got to Skyfall. Beautiful location and I enjoyed the look into Bond's past. The showdown with Silva was high on emotion, which I really liked. The finale in the chapel was excellent. It will be hard for them to surpass that in the future Bond films, I think. I am no great fan of the Bond novels nor the film series; I saw this one out of curiosty and really liked Silva as a villain, once we got past the initial meeting between him and Bond.

Definitely have to agree! Only saw it last night with my parents (small market town independent cinema) and I'd give it 8 out of 10. As said above, once it got to Skyfall it was like a sequel to itself, a whole new lease of life to the film. 

There were a lot of movies that came out 2012 I had forgotten about!

There were four that really stood out to me:

1. The Hobbit

2. Dark Knight Rises

3. Skyfall

4. The Avengers

I thought The Hobbit had a slow start up, but it really does snowball into this massive enveloping experience. The scenery of New Zealand is truly breathtaking... It made me wish I was in the movie myself -- something I am very rarely prone to do! I still want to hang with a dwarven pack and hike endlessly to a mountain filled with limitless treasure and a beefy dragon.

Dark Knight Rises was also a slice of tasty filmage in 2012. I friggin' adore Bane. Yeah, it's about Batman, but I'm really glad the personalities of surrounding/supporting characters were fleshed out (however minor those instances may have been exhibited.) I don't think it was as good as the second, but nobody beats the Joker. Though Bane came very damn close. Very. Damn. Close.

Skyfall was a fantastic film by itself, and I really admire how it addressed a major argument pestering bond fans: Old Bond vs. New Bond. It made me chuckle each time they made reference to the old/new line of thought, and I look forward to seeing what the new Bond films have in store

The Avengers is... A Marvel movie. Those are always good. Haha.

Edited by Guest

Based on all of the movies I watched this year, the ones I loved the most:

1. Avengers

2. Skyfall

3. Wreck-it Ralph

4. Dark Knight Rises

So far 2012 was a good year for movies, these movies impressed me a lot.

1. The Avengers

2. The Amazing Spiderman

3. The Dark Night Rises

4. The Expendables 2

Dredd 3D is one of the few remakes to actually surpass the original. Karl Urban is brilliant as the title character. It sticks to the comics a lot closer.

Seven Psychopaths was brilliant, it makes me want to pursue a career in screenwriting or writing in general. A terrific cast and good use of humor.

Looper blew me away. I'm a sucker for time travelling flicks. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis gave their a-game, the script is well-written and it's one of those sci-fi flicks that don't need a big budget to tell a story.

The Avengers was worth the wait. Over the past 4 years Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 1 & 2, Thor and Captain America were good setups for the real event.

Coriolanus is one of those overlooked adaptations of any William Shakespeare play. Its contemporary setting works well, Ralph Fiennes directing is top notch (and great in the title role), it keeps the original dialogue from the play intact and Gerald Butler is in a good movie for once.

The Dark Knight Rises is a satisfying conclusion to a well-mastered trilogy. Nolan's portrayal of Bane is a million times superior than Bane in Batman & Robin. And of course Tom hardy made him more menacing (including when he breaks Batman's back which happened in the comics).

I was amazed with Skyfall, Javier Bardem is an amazing antagonist and focusing on Jame Bond's roots is a clever idea. That theme song by Adele is both haunting and unforgettable. Both director Sam Mendes and co-writer John Logan managed to keep Ian Fleming's character intact while using elements of the previous films.

Edited by Trekkard

Dark Knight was probably the best of the year.

Avengers was pretty good,

as was Wreck it Ralph.

Dredd was fairly good as well.

I watched the hobbit in 48fps. Do yourself a favor and watch the version that inst filmed in high speed. I don't know if something went wrong with the special effects or its an optical illusion, but everything looked like it had really bad special effects.

Watch the hobbit at the normal 24 fps. It was much better the second time I saw it.

Edited by Cowl

• 2 weeks later...

So, what were some of your favorite movies that were released in 2012? My favorites (in no order) were The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, Life of Pi, Skyfall and Lincoln.