NavelColt

61 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Spitfire: Rainbow Dash! How dare you storm out of my office without giving me a chance to respond! The Wonderbolts are looking for the best flyers in Equestria, but you were right. Being the best should never come at the expense of our fellow ponies. It's not just about pushing ourselves. It's about pushing ourselves in the right direction. You've shown that you're capable of doing just that. You're no wingpony, Rainbow Dash. You're a leader.

Rainbow Dash: OhmygoshOhmygoshOhmygoshOhmygoshOhmygosh!

Spitfire: Is what I would say, except the air space around the academy was restricted to all unauthorized ponies during the duration of training.

Rainbow Dash: What?!

Spitfire: It was on the first page of the Code of Conduct.

Twilight Sparkle: *Pulls out the Code of Conduct.* Oh, it does say it right here. "No unauthorized visitors during active training sessions."

Rainbow Dash: How...how could I miss that?

Twilight Sparkle: You didn't read the book.

Rainbow Dash: Doh!

Spitfire: Rainbow Dash, you're out.

Pinkie Pie: Ooops, this is our bad.

Rainbow Dash: It's...over. *Cries*

Edited by Singe

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Is it just me, or did RD love it when Spitfire yelled at her?(No clopfic references please). Cause when you see Spitfire shouting, RD seems to be smiling with her eyes closed the entire time.; is this some sort of respect? Cause usually if they catch you smiling during a drill; you're usually disciplined afterward. Can't say the army movies got anything right or not; but hey, i love 'em. 

Wonderbolt04.jpg

Couldn't find the proper scene image, so this was close as i could get.

Edited by Candy Star

(edited)

Anyone feel that Lightning Dust was treated a little unfairly by Spitfire at the end? 

They both had the same mindset, they both believed that the best should lead. However, when Rainbow Dash told Spitfire that that isnt the way to go, Spitfire immediately punished Lightning Dust for screwing up.

But hang on, Lightning Dust was just trying to impress the Wonderbolts right? So is it really fair to instantly punish her like that? I can understand giving RD the lead spot but how rudely Spitfire did it, i feel Lightning Dust was a little mistreated. Before RD told her about the wrongness of how Spitfire decided who would lead, Lightning Dust and Spitfire agreed: The Best Should Lead.

So in the end, Lightning Dust wasnt doing anything wrong, just trying to impress Spitfire, by doing what Spitfire would want to see. 

Rainbow Dash was portrayed to wipe her hoofs of everything she collaborated in with Lightning Dust on these incidents. A few words to Spitfire and quitting would get Rainbow Dash off the hook and a promotion.

Also the tornado wouldn't have been such a big issue, if the Mane 5 didn't show up unannounced in the middle of the training area while the recruits were in the middle of their training session.

I do agree that was Lightning Dust was unfairly punished because of certain unforeseen circumstances and being the only one to have all the blame pinned on her despite Rainbow Dash also being a collaborator.

Though the main issue here is the Wonder Bolts own policies. Lightning Dust was able to act this way because the current polices allowed such actions to be taken. While the Wonder Bolts should have better handling of their air space so recruits are free to train without having to deal with outside traffic.

Edited by Singe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My personal favorite parts are the Pinkie Pie moments. She acts more concerned with Rainbow Dash than anypony else, I find it hilarious. 

Also does anypony get the feeling that in a future episode, Lightning Dust might return and do something more drastic?

• 3 months later...

I don't know  why but I can't help but feel slightly sorry for poor Lightening dust. I mean, Dash isn't exactly a very nice pony on the outside but as shown in the series she does have a softer and nicer side on the inside.

Nowhere in the rules did it state that a tornado was banned and no one could have predicted Twilight and friends to just fly through when they did. I'm sure that just like Rainbow Dash, lightening dust does have a nicer side. 

I wonder what was in their head when the developer's decided to go with the new ending, the old one would have been so much nicer, seriously it would. 

While I do think that Lightening dust was a bit mean to Dash, I'm sure Lightening never meant Dash any offense (Unlike Diamond tiara when she makes fun of the cmc) 

I mean, Lightening seemed friendly towards Dash at the start of the show, and actually, non of Lightening's antics caused any injury or pain towards the other pegasi and because Spitfire didn't punish lightening until the tornado incident, it must have meant Lightening had kept to the rules.

While I do see how the Hurricane may be seen as making Lightening seem a bit reckless, it would have caused no injury to anyone if the mane 6 didn't happen to be flying past. Furthermore, even if Dash had not created that cloud to save the other mane 6, they would not have died

1. Twilight could have just teleported them onto a cloud, easy.

2. Fluttershy would have caught the others and landed them onto clouds before they hit the ground (yes Fluttershy can fly and Fluttershy is strong enough to drag the weight of the mane 6 behind her and still fly)

3. Lightening dust was probably the one who told the other pegasi to be ready to catch the mane 6 when Rainbow Dash bounced them off the cloud. Thus, if it wasn't for lightening's help, there would be no one to catch the mane 6 and they may still have fallen to their deaths when they bounced off Rainbow Dash's cloud.

You may think that Lightening's expression near the end showed no compassion, but I would actually like to put forth a different argument.

Lightening did show sadness, but was so sad that she could not cry. Lightening may also have been somewhat angry with Dash for not talking her out of the tornado and for advising spitfire to kick her out of the wonderbolts when it was just as much Dash's fault and Lightening didn't intend to cause any harm, nor break any rules. She may have felt the punishment was a tad severe and may have been angry at Dash for hypocrisy and not taking her share of the blame and for making it seem like Dash did nothing wrong while she had to take all the blame herself. 

There are other ways to show sadness besides crying tears you know and I still think Lightening does feel genuine regret for her actions. She doesn't seem mean enough to have ill intentions to anyone. I think Dash was somewhat to blame as well but thats just my opinion. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was not only my favorite season 3 episode but one of my favorite episodes of the show. Rainbow Dash finally realized that other ponies could be just as agile and fast as her but still showed that she was jealous. Lightning Dust influenced Rainbow Dash in how they did things. Rainbow knew it wasn't right but she ignored the red flags until her friends nearly got hurt. The ending for the episode is garbage since they made Lightning Dust seem like a mean pony, in the original ending she would have apologized and came off as more friendly.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well,is not a "Super Epic" episode,but i dont hate or something... 

Point of my option:Rainbow Dash is one I like least  :dry:

This episode should've changed that. You obviously weren't paying attention to her character growth.
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Rainbow Dash is the most complex character in this entire show. When written well, she's infinitely better than any other character, and this is quite possibly her very best episode. For one, it has some of the best visual cues of any episode. Little details add a lot of visual humour, but they also build up Dash's characterization, as we can see how she reacts to events around her. She's really excited to be at the academy, and although she's disappointed to be made a wingpony, it's apparent that she still takes the role very seriously. When Lightning Dust becomes arrogant and reckless, Dash's uncertainty is apparent right on her face. 

Lightning Dust serves as a foil for Rainbow: what would happen if Rainbow's ego overtook her loyalty and compassion. Lightning just doesn't see the problem with certain things Rainbow knows are wrong, and in her showboating, she has an uncanny similarity to Trixie. However, while Trixie was meant to be annoying, Lightning is genuinely entertaining to watch even as her showboating and underhanded tactics become particularly questionable. She doesn't seem to consider other ponies, but this is encouraged by the environment, which places further importance on skill and results than character. In the end, Spitfire comes to realize the wrongness of this, and Lightning Dust's sad expression as she's stripped of her badge makes me hope that she could as well. Here, she's irresponsible and a danger to those around her, but it's not hard to imagine that she could change, especially with the right guidance. It's that nuance which makes her possibly my favourite minor antagonist. 

Spitfire's epiphany makes "Rainbow Falls" make even less sense, though. 

Also, Pinkie is very silly in this. It's great. 

Score:

Entertainment: 10/10

Characters: 10/10

Themes: 10/10

Story: 10/10

Overall: 100/100

• Brohoof 2

• 10 months later...

Now that Season 7 has passed, I think this episode has taken some hits being inconsistent to future seasons.

Wonderbolts ran under Spitfire was portrayed in a bad light for having an environment that allowed Lightning Dust to push the boundaries and training air space can collide with air moving traffic like the Mane 5 unannounced visit. Compared to future episodes where the Wonderbolts adhere to a more professional operation and demand following safety rules. Rainbow Dash got chewed out for crossing a reserved lane by not looking both ways. It would be expected the Academy mirrors the real Wonderbolts.

Rainbow Dash gives a big speech to Spitfire about recklessness and she reverts to being reckless in future episodes. Even punished in one episode for it.

I don't like the idea that Rainbow Dash is setup to revolutionize changes to Wonderbolts by having her show Spitfire the right path then Rainbow Dash later on crosses some of those lines herself. 

Edited by Singe

3 hours ago, Singe said:

Wonderbolts ran under Spitfire was portrayed in a bad light for having an environment that allowed Lightning Dust to push the boundaries and training air space can collide with air moving traffic like the Mane 5 unannounced visit. Compared to future episodes where the Wonderbolts adhere to a more professional operation and demand following safety rules. Rainbow Dash got chewed out for crossing a reserved lane by not looking both ways. It would be expected the Academy mirrors the real Wonderbolts.

I think there's a difference between what Rainbow Dash did, which was pretty basic and silly, and what Lightning Dust did, which could be perceived as "pushing herself." Plus, Spitfire did punish Lightning at the end of the episode, and while we're led to believe she was influenced by Rainbow Dash, that doesn't mean there wasn't already policy against other reckless behaviour. 

3 hours ago, Singe said:

Rainbow Dash gives a big speech to Spitfire about recklessness and she reverts to being reckless in future episodes. Even punished in one episode for it.

While this was a huge show of maturation at the time, Rainbow's recklessness tends to come when she's stressed out, which is common among all the ponies and fairly believable. Bad habits are hard to kick, even when you're cognizant of them, and anxiety can impair your ability to fight those habits. I don't think it's fair to call her a hypocrite for that, which is what I think you're implying. 

Newbie Dash was also a shittily written dumpster fire that blatantly ignores everything RD learns for the sake of its stupid impressions joke

Edited by Whompy Whomperson
  • Brohoof 2

Wonderbolts Academy was written on the basis not knowing how the Wonderbolts was suppose to operate. Later seasons established some structure of their operations, this episode shows Spitfire and the staff to be negligent, incompetent at least. It wouldn't have gotten to be bad if it the staff in the academy were consistent to the Wonderbolts seen in later seasons operation especially Spitfire. Overall this just didn't seem right for RD's beloved group she worked to get into needed be shown to have a huge lapse in running itself. 

Though there was one thing I just realized, Rainbow Dash never mentioned she got injured except just to make a further point in accusing Lightning Dust for it happening. It didn't get explored but Rainbow Dash went along with doing the tornado with an injured wing which could have been a factor of it going out of control and we don't see Rainbow Dash getting her wing checked out by medical staff. It seem like something that got glanced over.

Edited by Singe

• 1 month later...

I liked this Episode. I dont really have much else to say, other than its probably one of the first Episodes, in which none of the Main 6 did something wrong, Rainbow Dash went a bit along, but i think she knew what was wrong. It was more of a lesson, for that other Pony, which name i forgot. Or maybe its not the first Episode in which the Main 6 dont have to learn something, its just the first Episode in which i noticed that. Okay now i remember more Episodes. XD Never mind.

• 6 months later...
(edited)

Great episode. Dash is one step closer to her dream. B)

Lightening Dust was pretty awesome. She even has her own streak. As for that ending, it was a bit strange. I wasn’t sure if she was removed as lead pony or kicked out entirely. Being kicked out would be pretty screwy.

The tornado accident was just that, an accident, but Lightening didn’t learn anything from it. Still, she could make a great Wonderbolt if she learns to reign herself in.

The reaction of embarrassment that Fluttershy had to being caught was cute, as was the annoyed reaction to the one who caught her.

ETA: After voting, I see one person hated this episode, and everyone else loved or liked it. That’s not to say that one person is wrong. It just amuses me.

Edited by Meushell

This is Rainbow Dash's best episode. It best displays everything that makes her such a good character. I found myself enjoying this episode a lot more on rewatch as I noticed more little things. This is one of the best polished stories of the entire show as the main plot with Rainbow Dash was done perfectly. The main issue that held back this episode before (Pinkie) wasn't nearly as bad on rewatch although she was still annoying.

Score: 9/10

• 2 months later...

Nice! Rainbow Dash was really arrogant at the beginning of the episode, but I think she really grew up as a character from this experience. I really like Dash, and getting to see her improve was great!B)

• 2 months later...

I don't have a problem with Pinkie anymore. She's not at her best, but she's good for a couple laughs which is all you can ask for with something only there for comic relief. Her scenes do a fine job at breaking up the drama in the main story and giving a reason for the rest of the main six to appear in the climax. 

The main story is as good as it's ever been. I was constantly engaged from beginning to end, which doesn't happen too often. The episodes feels a lot like Hurricane Fluttershy because it takes a very common story and executes it in such a perfect way that it feels new again. Lightning Dust is a great foil for Rainbow Dash and I don't see an issue with the ending. Lightning Dust does something very reckless and she gets punished. She doesn't even have remorse after Rainbow confronts her. I'd say she gets off easy. She could've been arrested for reckless endangerment. 

Score: 10/10

• 2 months later...

Best episode of season 3 for me. Lightning dust is similar to RD but without the element of loyalty and does not care if she hurts someone. I was surprised there is someone as fast as dash, or really close to it. Dash was at her best this episode, with her pride showing but she complies and do not throw a fit, it shows how much she wants to be a wonder bolt.  Lightning got what she deserved in the end.  9\10

• The topic was pinned
  • 8 months later...

I have to say Pinkie in this episode was annoying with the mailbox joke. I feel like the writers overdo Pinkie's jokes but it wasn't that unbearable but it did set the events of the episode's end into place. Lightning Dust is a very interesting character for me. Relentlessly pursuing what she wants but not meaning to hurt or harm others. It's just collateral damage. I enjoyed seeing the other ponies competing. The part where they have that wheel and it spins seems dangerous though. One of those racers really skidded on the runway, that had to hurt. 

The part where RD was going to quit was the most interesting part to me, and how Spitfire recognizes Rainbow Dash's integrity. I don't think RD represents the element of loyalty, but integrity.