NavelColt

61 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Oh my goodness, that was a wonderful episode!!!  Probably, as some other ponies have said, my least favorite of the season, but that's not saying much, it was still an absolutely fantastic episode!!!!!  It's probably just because most of it was a little more standard for their episodes, and they're getting into the middle of the season stride where episodes don't always blow ya out of the water at every turn.  But there was still a whole lot that I loved about this episode!!!!  So let's begin!

First, this was an awesome Rainbow Dash episode!!!  We got to see some awesome flying action from RD, which was amazing, but even more importantly, we got to see a whole lot of how RD's character has changed so much since the first season.  She was humble enough throughout the episode to accept her position as wing pony, she repeatedly expressed concern for the less capable cadets at the Wonderbolt Academy, and of course, the grand daddy of them all, was willing to actually give up her lifelong dream of being a Wonderbolt if it meant being too reckless and putting other ponies, including her best friends', lives in danger!!!  THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!  It also makes me appreciate the character Lightning Dust a little bit more, because, honestly, I believe that in many ways she behaved exactly as RD would've at the beginning of Season 1, before she'd really been friends with the Mane 6 for a long time.  RD was super competitive and impatient at the beginning of that season, just like Lightning Dust, and it especially showed in the episode "Dragonshy" when she repeatedly expressed impatience with Fluttershy.  But now, she's simply not like that anymore, she's changed; she's a team player, and even if she wants to push herself to be the best she can be still, she's not willing to hurt or jeopardize other ponies in the process, and even wants to encourage them to be the best they can be.  Rainbow's more now than just an incredibly talented pony; she has the makings of being a great leader among the Wonderbolts someday.  As Spitfire said, she's a lead pony!!!

Second, getting to see A WHOLE LOT of Spitfire.  This was probably the biggest amount of fan-loving we got from Studio B in this episode; they knew we've wanted to see a lot more of Spitfire for a lonnnnngggggggg time, and they didn't disappoint.  It was honestly a bit jarring at first to see her acting like such a hard flank (although I lol'd extremely hard when she glared at Snowflake and his tiny wings!!!!).  It was interesting to see her training, as well as to learn a lot more about what it takes to get into the Wonderbolts (although honestly I'm still a little confused, even after 2 1/2 seasons, as to what they exactly do?  Are they stunt flyers, racers, some sort of Equestrian military force/national guard, cause we've seen them do all of those things before?  I just want to know what the full extent of their responsibilities are?  :lol: ).  Overall, it was awesome seeing so much of Spitfire and getting to learn more about how she leads the Wonderbolts!

Next... Pinkie Pie.  What can't I say about her in this episode!!!  This honestly might have been her best episode so far this season, even better than "Too Many Pinkie Pies"!!!!!!  I loved that episode, but here, Pinkie was just so adorable, and hilarious, and insane, and zany, and being such a good friend the whole episode, and it was all so balanced nicely, that it was just the perfect storm of Pinkie Pie, she simply was awesome the whole episode!!!  THAT BEAR HUG!!!!!!!!!  OH MY GOSH THAT BEAR HUG!!!!!!!!!!  I honestly doubt we'll ever witness a bigger hug on the show than that!!!!!!!  ^_^

Once again, the animation was amazing, it was great to see a lot of the pegasi from "Hurricane Fluttershy" make a reappearance (let's see, we had Snowflake, Thunderlane, Cloud Chaser, and probably a few others) and their physical gags and humor were hilarious (SNOWFLAKE ATE A BUCKIN' CLOUD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, THAT'S AWESOME!!!), the rest of the Mane 6 were great, even if they weren't in the episode much, the new setting with Wonderbolt Academy was really cool and gave us some cool new animations, and the message of not giving into peer pressure and doing your best but making sure that you do it the right way was a great message for anypony, especially those of us who are rather competitive, whether in physical or intellectual pursuits.  All in all, it was a great episode, and I can't wait to watch it again!!!

The only thing I didn't like about this episode: NO DERPY!!!!!!!!!!  :angry:   Honestly, I wouldn't have minded so much if there weren't so many freakin' pegasi in the episode!!!!!  I didn't even expect her to show up at the academy, I know that wouldn't make much sense, BUT THEY HAD A MAIL PONY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!  A MAIL PONY!!!!!!!!!!!  OMG, THEY COULD'VE SO EASILY JUST DROPPED HER IN THERE AS THE MAIL MARE INSTEAD!!!!!!!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *we interrupt this post for a session of havoc and anger-induced property damage*

*sigh* OK, I'm done, I'm cool, I'm cool.  -_-

So next week we got our first Applejack episode of the season, awesome, awesome, awesome!!!!  Might even be an Apple Family episode in general, so hopefully we'll actually get to hear from Big Mac this next episode (yeah, Peter New hasn't actually dropped a single line this season, weird right?!?!).  I'm hoping Granny Smith is zany as usual, that we might get some cute AJ and AB moments, maybe a reappearance of Bab Seed, a lot of fun new Apple Family members, perhaps our first look at Manehattan (my money at this point is on the reunion being there), and as usual, to see AJ displaying her maturity (although maybe she'll be learning a lesson this time, so she might screw up in some way, guess we'll just have to wait and see).  See ya next week everypony, and hopefully this time the episode doesn't get leaked early!!!  :D

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 6

This episode was great for Dashie fans everywhere: And Rainbow Dash showed her loyalty in this one! She was also much more kind then most episodes portray her as. 

I was kinda disappointed though in the abrupt ending, but I guess it's just a little hint on what can happen next for RD. I also didn't see Derpy anywhere. :( But still, overall this episode was great. I thought Spitfire's voice was a bit too high, and her personality changed a LOT... I could've sworn she was more laid-back. :P 

But this episode was fun to watch, and Rainbow Dash showed a lot of potential in this one!! I now respect Rainbow Dash a bit more!

• Brohoof 2

I liked this episode it was pretty cool, had its nice cool moments and pinkies drama was funny to watch for me :). Plus it was a solid episode, Its not something that struck me as amazing from the first time I watched it but it was a sweet episode.

The thing that gets to me, is that even if the episode was solid, the ending was a bit meh for me, sorry I don't like leaving loose ends like this unless its like a 2 parter.

As long as it gets tied together sometime, I guess I'll be happy.

I hope  it doesn't mean we're going to hardly see rainbow dash anymore, or maybe the whole show is coming to a close.(I know I'm just worrying, but this season gets worrying me that it'll be the last, and I really don't want it to be.)

Anyways it was a cool episode, only part I didn't really like was the end. Everything else was good. It wasn't as great as Sleepless in ponyville or bad apple, but it was a good episode regardless.

Also I do agree spitfires old voice actor is a bit better then the other one, but the biggest thing that kinda bothered me was how she seemed so different in this episode then the others.

Maybe she just has her military loud unforgiving side, and her laid back chilled side. Its still a bit strange.

Anyways a good episode, definitely wasn't bad. Only really thing that got to me was the ending.

• Brohoof 1

Great episode, amazingly epic.

It's funny how people are complaining about Spitifre. She wasn't be a bitch or a dick, she was going with a more military sort of camp. I am sure that's what the show's writers wanted, military. When I went to JROTC camp last year, we were treated like that, but then when you meet the people in real life, they are a lot different. I am sure her attitude was simply to get the cadets in shape.

I loved the episode, so much Pinkie and Rainbow Dash shipping though, so much. But I'm not complaining. 

I loved how Rainbow Dash was the less reckless one of the two between her and Lightning, considering how everyone goes on about her being reckless. I also really like Pinkie is this episode, it was so cute to see her freak out.

In all I loved this episode and I loved how they added Rainbows Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh at the end. That is so adorable whenever she does that.

Edited by TGAP Babs Seed
  • Brohoof 4

Yay Pinkie Dash ship XD

Oh damnit Pinkazoid have gotten me into it...

Anyways I liked this episode! It's not the best yet or anything but it was good. I wonder what will happen to rainbow dash now when she is a leader..

Join us jokuc. We have cupcakes! 

I wish I knew this discussion was open earlier. :(

Oh well, anyway pretty neat episode. 

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie were both amazing in this episode. Also, yay! More PinkieDash! <3

Never really cared for Spitfire so I'm not upset about the voice. I was shocked though. I was also expecting more butthurt. 

Lighting Dust was an interesting character. She was basically how Rainbow Dash used to act in a nutshell. It's interesting to see how far each character has come and to reflex on what they have learned. 

Didn't really have a problem with this episode. Wish there were more memorable stuff though.

• Brohoof 2

good episode, but i hope its not the last we see of Lightning Dust. i think she'll make a good future rival to RD, as she needs a little competition for best flyer. 

that being said, Cloudchaser got more screen time! 

Cloudchaser-my-little-pony-friendship-is

• Brohoof 3

In response to the Spitfire comments so far: shes named SPITFIRE, which is a term for a loud outspoken firey female, so its fitting that she acted the way she did. You also have to consider that The Wonderbolts are her baby, and she has to be a bit of a hardass to make sure only the best of the best make it into the group. That was her turf, her world, they all stepped into HER ring, so shes going to do what she has to in order to protect the integrity of the Bolts. 

she might be a sweetheart in social settings, but when you enter her arena, you're gonna find out why shes named Spitfire. 

• Brohoof 7

I don't know about you guys, but bad ego/attitude or not, Lightning Dust is downright gorgeous. She was a real sight to behold with her own flight trail (yellow lightning with some texture, it seemed like) and all those flight tricks. Her mane fit perfectly with her colour scheme and her eyes were downright cute!

JCvJ7.png

• Brohoof 4

I enjoyed this episode more than I though I would. And mostly for one reason. Dash.

I honestly think that this episode has redeemed her in my mind. Sleepless in Ponyville was getting there, but this just made me say, "holy dooly!" She's moved up the rungs on my favorite pony list because of this episode.

She's no longer the egocentric, big-mouthed, immature brat. She's more understanding of her actions, questions the Wonderbolt's methods, cares more about others and overall, a lot more mature.  I know I'm spitting out obvious things here, but it was such a great episode. I really like Dash now. When I read the synopsis, I said to myself, "She's definitely not Wonderbolts material. She's too proud of herself." You can probably guess what I thought after watching the episode. So far season three is building Dash's reputation......and destroying Pinkie's reputation.

Although Spitfire's personality (and voice) didn't match with her in the "Best Night Ever" episode, I found that her drill sergeant attitude seemed a bit more appropriate. I really expected her to scream, "Show me your war face!" If that happened I would have laughed so hard. I like Spitfire a bit more now, because this episode explored her personality more...and that outfit and sunglasses. But with that said, as much as I like it, it seemed a bit off how they changed it from the last episode she was in.

I wonder now, is she the drill sergeant or the head of the Wonderbolts?

I was surprised about Lightning Dust. I never thought there was somepony who could top Dash's competitive and daredevil attitude. Other than that, I don't have much to say about her.

Oh, one very last thing. I expect that there will be a whole bunch of shipping between Rarity and Thunderlane.

• Brohoof 1

Liked it, but not as much as the previous two episodes.

There was plenty of screen time for Spitfire (which I liked). She was much more serious than we've seen her in previous appearances, but that's understandable since it was the first time we've got to see her train other ponies (still wish she would have acknowledged having met Rainbow Dash before at some point). I didn't mind her new voice, but still prefer the old one.

The ending was quite a surprise to me. I wasn't expecting Dash to actually stay in the academy. I hope we get to see her continue her training or even perform with the Wonderbolts in future episodes. The "don't be too reckless" lesson was good too.

This episode has grown on my quite a bit over repeated views, as has the 'new' spitfire. Not exactly sure why though. Wouldn't put it as my favourite episode of S3 but in the top 3. Still think pinkie is holding it back a bit too.

This was a... solid episode on the whole (and even here I hesitate), but one which suffered from gradual degradation as it progressed. Bear in mind that I am not an intense critic of Merriweather Williams: I tend to enjoy her pop culture references. (Speaking of which, aside from The Wizard of Oz reference, where were the other classic pop culture gags? This episode was begging for Top Gun jokes from start to finish.) I understand and partially agree with some of the criticisms leveled against her for "The Mysterious Mare Do Well." I don't really obsess over them as some Bronies do. Besides, she had a hand in the first season of Adventure Time, so Williams definitely has writing prowess. It may be the case that MLP is not the best format for her particular skills, however.

I haven't any idea how much of any given episode is left to a single writer, so I won't pin the blame solely on Williams. I nevertheless feel disappointed by certain parts of the story.

The Pinkie Pie subplot (emphasis on plot, hyuk hyuk) ran very well for the opening segment of the episode. By this point I am convinced the writers are teasing fans with obvious shipping fuel, given how prominent Pinkie's concerns are made through the story. But Pinkie's rediscovery of her obsession with Dashie ran a little thin by the mailbox gag. I cannot help but feel as if getting the remainder of the Mane Six to the Wonderbolts Academy proved to be difficult for the writers, so they placed all their eggs in one basket and used Pinkie's behavior as the impetus for the trip. Because Pinkie is a rather flexible personality, you can get away with having her act strangely for the sake of the story; but I think I have a better understanding as to why some Bronies are especially critical of Merriweather Williams' episodes leading to out of character behavior. Zany as Pinkie Pie is, the humor felt forced. The Ponyville end of the narrative struck me as a fairly weak set of segments.

The Wonderbolts Academy sequences revealed a maturing Rainbow Dash, one who has at last begun to put into practice some of the difficult lessons she learned through the first two seasons. For huge RD fans (I really do like her, but she is not my pick for best pony), I'm sure this comes as both a relief and a refreshing character building experience. Now if Rarity could get another episode of this ilk, we would really be in business! The writers are still haven't found a groove for Rarity's personality; but now I digress...

I nevertheless believe as some have already highlighted that more dialogue would have been welcome. Instead of chewing up time with Pinkie in Ponyville, how about a scene with Dash interacting with the other cadets? Perhaps more light could be shed onto Lightning Dust's motives and why she was so ruthlessly competitive? Rainbow's development was not very interpersonal outside of her general concern for her fellow ponies. But why should we care about her fellow cadets? A few brief interactions might have increased the contrast between Dash's personality and Dust's behavior. It isn't even so much about Dust being inexplicably arrogant: giving Dash more of a reason to be concerned for her comrades opens the door for audience empathy as well. On the whole, however, the episode was too action heavy. It made the episode more one-dimensional, unfortunately.

The ending is what really befuddled me. First, is Rainbow Dash a Wonderbolt or not? Is it possible to get a straight answer to that question? Second, I actually was partly shocked when Rainbow appeared to be dedicated to leaving the Wonderbolts Academy due to her moral conflict with their expectations. In the back of my mind I was thinking, "Hmm! This would be a really fascinating end to the story. Rainbow unequivocally sticks with her principles in the face of losing out on her dream, bringing her initial encounter with the Shadowbolts in the first episode full circle." But then Rainbow promptly gets bailed out by Spitfire, and the episode ends. That's it.

Huh...?

The resolution is truly the episode's Achilles' heel. The central moral of the story---hurting those around you to prove you're the best at any cost is wrong---is weakened by the all-too-typical "good guy gets rewarded for speaking his/her mind, antagonist gets punished and ostracized" ending. In truth, the power of Dash saying her piece and voluntarily giving up her dream to preserve her principles would have been far more memorable. We are instead treated to a lazy copout ending which doesn't convey much anything  of value. It would be like "The Best Night Ever" ending with Celestia forcing Prince Blueblood to apologize to Rarity. What would that prove?

So you can tell I'm a bit peeved by how the episode concluded; not angry, mind you, but a little annoyed that what could have been an episode for major strides in development became so cookie cutter in delivery. At the end of the episode, I did not have the same sensation of resolution most MLP episodes give me whenever I watch them. In short, "Wonderbolts Academy" lacked the typical charm found in MLP.

Echoing Swoop's comments: where the heck are the letters to Celestia? I re-watched two episodes from Season One last night, and I remembered how much of a treat the closing remarks often were in terms of bringing the lesson home. I even miss the Season Two letters sent from each of the ponies. I am under the impression that the pitfall of "Wonderbolts Academy" was the lack of a message capable of being conveyed through a final report. If Rainbow had to write a letter to Celestia, what would she have learned? That standing up for the wellbeing of your friends necessarily gets you rewarded?

I should try to rewatch this episode later in order to find out whether or not my opinion changes. As it stands, I consider "Wonderbolts Academy" the weakest episode of Season Three.

• Brohoof 6

So you can tell I'm a bit peeved by how the episode concluded; not angry, mind you, but a little annoyed that what could have been an episode for major strides in development became so cookie cutter in delivery. At the end of the episode, I did not have the same sensation of resolution most MLP episodes give me whenever I watch them. In short, "Wonderbolts Academy" lacked the typical charm found in MLP.

I cannot say I disagree with you considering this was an episode written by Merriweather Williams. As I've already stated in one of my posts, her episodes tend to stretch things and twist around several plot (hyuk hyuk) elements to make it seem realistic. So, in the end, I can't ever say that "Putting Your Hoof Down", another episode made by Williams, had the typical charm of FIM. Flutters being aggressive, making Rarity and Pinkie Pie into looking like manipulative asshats at some points, and portraying Ponyville to be some kind of unwelcoming reality is hardly worth coining as such.

I did not find any problem with the ending, that said. Perhaps it was just one of those "heat of the moment" incidents where you expect the least-likely to happen, but with all due respect to Dash, they all appeared to be ready to embrace the fact that they were going to have to go back to Ponyville again. Then again, Spitfire did explain that nopony walked out on her like that, so I guess Dash's sudden departure from the academy was merely an incentive for Spitfire to confront her in the end.

"Standing up for the well-being of your friends necessarily gets you rewarded" was not the lesson, either. Awards or not, Rainbow already knew that - how could she be the Element of Loyalty otherwise? The lesson was explained by Spitfire pretty clearly, however. Rainbow may have figured it out herself, but I suspect that another character outlining what another did to improve themselves cannot really warrant a letter being written. Otherwise, it may just redundant. Spitfire clearly said it, so why bother writing it and showing it on-screen? I realize it hacks away at the signature move of the show, but in all honesty, season three has done a good job of being able to show the lessons learned without the use of letters.

Edited by Alfonzo Dennard
  • Brohoof 3

Well I rewatched the episode with my younger brother and sister so I have a few more things to say

For all of you who disapproved of Spitfire's characterization in this episode I half agree with you but my sister agrees 100% with you, so take refuge in that.

My sister knows that I support Pinkiedash, however she hates that pairing, and I caught her cringing at some of their scenes. When Pinkie wrapped her legs around Dashie at the end she groaned "Pinkie, stop giving them material! Dang it!" I imagine some of you can empathize with that.

I am increasingly baffled by other people. Over on Equestria Daily in the comments section a minority of people are defending Lightning Dust's actions and ripping on Rainbow's. I mean really. Lightning Dust has every negative trait of Dash's but WORSE, and Dash showed that she has made significant steps towards overcoming her flaws but no, don't judge characters based on how they behave, judge them on who they are. Sigh... end rant.

I'm pleased to see that this episode has improved many of your opinions about Rainbow. For me after the past two episodes her insurmountable lead in my best pony list has increased even more, and it's great to see her stock rise a little among the rest of you too.

I'm also pleased to see that this episode has improved many of your opinions about Merriwether Williams. Coming from someone who, to put it very mildly, didn't like The Mysterious Mare Do Well, she's taken much more abuse than she's deserved over the previous months and I'm delighted that she created an episode like this.

On another note, that megaphone should be confiscated from Pinkie and given to Fluttershy. Maybe with it she could talk loud enough for the rest of us to understand her.

Overall I found this one to be one of the strongest episodes of season 3, and possibly in the entire series.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 1

The episode was really nice, and I really liked how Spitfire's cutie mark was revealed and her new attitude and all that. The new episode was so great to watch. It really showed that Rainbow Dash is able to mange being a Wonderbolt in the future. This could open up a ton of things for Rainbow Dash in the future. I'm just wondering if one day she does become a Wonderbolt. I hope she does one day. :)

WOW each episode keeps getting better and better as the season goes on! yay!!

I never ever expect to ever say this... but Rainbow Dash redeem herself in this episode she was FANTASTIC, honestly I saw a side of her that I think barely saw in all the seasons of the show. I'm gonna break down what things of Rainbow Dash I really liked on this episode that honestly impressed me, I just wish she was like this more often in the episodes.

• Good Sport Rainbow Dash: I always saw Rainbow Dash as a bad loser, she's a very sore loser who cannot accept the fact that someone can beat her at something she's good at. In this episode we saw Lightning Dust not only competing with but also surpasing her with some of the tests. I mean, I really expected her to be a jealous bitch and be the usualldouche she is at her, instead of that she became buddies with her in a sort of competitive way, I never expected that, I thought they would be rivals from the start (bad rivals not good rivals). Bravo Rainbow Dash.

• Mature Rainbow Dash: We could swear she was lead pony when the results came out, when she found out about that, she POLITELY (I've never expected that) walked in Spitfire's office and asked why she wasn't lead pony (at this point I was wondering the same, I mean, her and Lightning Dust were the best by far), anyways, when she found out why she wasn't lead pony, sad, she accepted it and walked out. Though, she didn't liked Spifire's desision, she filled her role as wing pony and assisted Lightning Dust in what she could. All in good sport.

• Caring Rainbow Dash: Even though Rainbow Dash was superior than the other contestans of the Wonderbolts Academy. I saw her compasive towards them unlike Lightning Dust. In fact, she calmed down Lightning Dust when she was bragging out why the ponies that were ahead of them were so slow (actually they really were!). And at the end, when she confronted LD for being so reckless with the tornado, she stood up for the other ponies. I seriously never expected this from her. *applauds*

• Friend Rainbow Dash: I know that the show is titled "Friendship is Magic" and the main value about this is friendship, these 6 ponies are supposed to be friends right? but from Rainbow Dash, I rarely see this "I'd do anything for my friends" attitude. Don't get me wrong, she acted as a friend, especially when she saved Rarity from dying. I mean, how do I explain it. In this episode RD put her friends above anything, even above her dreams of become a Wonderbolt. When the tornado caught Twilight and the others, you can see and FEEL the horror in RD face, there's wasn't anything more important that saving her friends, and I felt that hug she gave to Twilight and Applejack, even though it was so short. And it's evident that she was pissed because LD could kill her friends with that Tornado (though RD also partake in the creation of that tornado XD)...The way she confronted LD was outstanding and her desision to quit the Wonderbolts Academy was very fitting for letting LD loose on her choices. At the end it's visible how close Rainbow is to Twilight and mainly Applejack.

These words are from a brony that HIGHLY dislikes Rainbow Dash, so I swallowed my pride and admit that she was incredibly good in this episode.

Now, things that I noted about this episode.

• I don't know, but I really liked Lighting Dust (not to mention she's incredibly beautiful (in a badass way), it's one of the most beautiful ponies I've seen lol)...I liked her all the way until the end when she didn't cared she killed 5 ponies with that tornado.
  • The animation was SO BEAUTIFUL, goshhhh!! >_<
  • Spitfire, was so hot...especially when she's bosy. :}
  • Raibow Dash looks cute in that suit, especially when her mane is facing the oposite side of her neck.
  • It's good to see Thunderlane, Roid Rage and the other pony with blue hair (Cloud Chaser perhaps?) returning. But I didn't liked how males ponies are portrayed incredibly weak and uncapable. It was dissapointing to see Thunderlane doing nothing practically. But I can't complain about that, this is a girl's show and females are the dominat sex, besides this episode was about RD and LD.
  • LOL the white stallion pony was pushed twice XD. I'd push him to for the lulz (but he was cute *¬*)
  • Applejack is getting more active this season, which is good.
  • Rarity is getting left behind :(
  • Thunderlane and Rarity (haha, incoming shipping fics and pics LOL)
  • LOL at the pony who looked like Derpy, she really reminded me of her (especially when she crashed XD)
  • Talking about Derpy, I was expecting her to be the mail pony.
  • Roid Rage can fly? wow!
  • I wanted to see more of Thunderlane and Roid Rage :(
  • Pinkie being Pinkie.
  • Fluttershy is the lamest pegasus ever XD (still love her)

I think that's all I can come up with XD. Very nice episode...I can't wait to see the rest, they are indeed fixing the mess of the first 4 episodes of the season, which is good.

• Brohoof 8

In response to the Spitfire comments so far: shes named SPITFIRE, which is a term for a loud outspoken firey female, so its fitting that she acted the way she did. You also have to consider that The Wonderbolts are her baby, and she has to be a bit of a hardass to make sure only the best of the best make it into the group. That was her turf, her world, they all stepped into HER ring, so shes going to do what she has to in order to protect the integrity of the Bolts. 

she might be a sweetheart in social settings, but when you enter her arena, you're gonna find out why shes named Spitfire. 

Whilst Spitfire did seem a little harsh, I understand why.

But what annoyed me was the fact that she treated Rainbow Dash like a total stranger, and a newbie, and I thought she would remember the times when she hung out with them at the gala, or when she peformed the sonic rainboom or when she SAVED HER LIFE! I was hoping she's be like 'Rainbow Dash, my old spark!' etc. Not 'Lighting Dust likes to push herself a little harder than you.' I bet she hasn't done a sonic rainboom. I felt bad for Dash in this episode :( And I don't know why Lighting Dust has a load of fans either, she was MEANT to be the bad character! Haha ;P

• Brohoof 2

Whilst Spitfire did seem a little harsh, I understand why.

But what annoyed me was the fact that she treated Rainbow Dash like a total stranger, and a newbie, and I thought she would remember the times when she hung out with them at the gala, or when she peformed the sonic rainboom or when she SAVED HER LIFE! I was hoping she's be like 'Rainbow Dash, my old spark!' etc. Not 'Lighting Dust likes to push herself a little harder than you.' I bet she hasn't done a sonic rainboom. I felt bad for Dash in this episode :( And I don't know why Lighting Dust has a load of fans either, she was MEANT to be the bad character! Haha ;P

I super agree with this...

that was so weird, she should have remembered Rainbow Dash, it was strange to see her treating Rainbow Dash like that, I blame the writer for this, for not knowing well the character's pasts.

I loved this episode and made Rainbow Dash about 20% cooler in my eyes :wub: (Yeah i went there)

First off i really appreciated how they showed rainbow dash being less uncaring. She appears to be actually taking previous lessons to heart an example was shown last episode in "Sleepless in Ponyville" when she actually comforted Scotaloo and admitted that the stories used to scare her. then this week she was going to quit the academy because she felt the academy seemed to be more caring about results then how they actually reached the result. It's nice to see that Rainbow Dash isn't completely uncaring as some people used to say about her character but still has enough personality to be her own character.

Now about spitfire i do admit i didn't like her new voice actor or new voice, but besides that i'm kinda mixed about her personality While i understand she was treating all the flyers as equal I still wish she would've showed some recognition of RD's flying skills seeing as they have met before. Though i agree with her making RD a side pony as i think SF was trying to teach RD some humility.

All in all i really loved the episode and think it's the second best RD episode so far(1# is Sleepless in ponyville) I hope they keep RD's personality similar to this and don't change her back the next episode.

• Brohoof 5

• Applejack is getting more active this season, which is good.

The next episode I believe is Apple Family Reunion, which is AJ's episode, but I won't spoil anything.

I highly agree with your points on Rainbow Dash... but then I read the part about it coming from a brony who highly dislikes her... you better run dude. *loads gun* Hehe xD

How could spitfire not remember rainbow?! I just saw it and my thoughts included: "Wow...." Lightning Dust, at first, was going to be another favorite of mine, but in the end she was a meanie! She was wreckless and very rude to the other trainess.

I also thought that Pinkie was being very annoying. I mean more annoying than usual. I think there should of been less of her in my opinion.

My fav. part was when pinkie screamed through the megaphone yelling "Don't forget to write!!!!!!!.... You think she heard me?"  (:

• Brohoof 2

I super agree with this...

that was so weird, she should have remembered Rainbow Dash, it was strange to see her treating Rainbow Dash like that, I blame the writer for this, for not knowing well the character's pasts.

Yes, I don't think the writer, Merriweather Williams (whom of which I have heard a few rumours of how she is not very good at capturing the pony's personalities, particularly RD's) quite wrote it fittingly. That's the only con I probably would say about the episode, but I couldn't possibly complain about it too much, not when it was Dashie's episode...! ^^

It was definitely among the least whimsical/funny, though I don't think that necessarily detracted from its enjoyability.  Pinkie did seem oddly clingy throughout the episode, and I'm sure that fanned the flames of the already-prolific PinkieDash inferno.

Maybe I need to re-watch the last few minutes, but I'm not so sure LD was actually kicked out.  It seemed more like she was demoted from flight lead to wing pony, rather than outright expelled.  It's odd that they would assign students as lead or wing in any kind of permanent way, though.  In real flight training, you can't lead a flight without knowing how to follow.  With that in mind, during training events, the students constantly switch back and forth between lead and wing, so that they can learn both roles.

Spitfire's demeanor didn't bother me.  Given the environment, it made perfect sense for her to act that way.  When I was a flight commander for basic officer training, all of my trainees understood that my purpose was to provide guidance, feedback, "motivation" and structure during their transition.  There was a silent agreement that business was business, and it made no difference whether or not I knew any of them before hand.  Whenever practical, we avoided putting people in authority positions over their friends...just to avoid preferential treatment (whether actual or just perceived).

Yes, yes...overanalyzing is magic.  This just happens to be one of those rare occasions when the show touches on topics that I actually know anything about.  :P

• Brohoof 1

Above all I like how, within the last two episodes of season 3, Rainbow Dash has developed a more caring, sensible side to her. She and Scoots at the end of Sleepless in Ponyville was adorable <3

And she showed much maturity in Wonderbolts Academy; she felt bad after Lightning Dust knocked out their components, and I'm sure she certainly wasn't happy with her after she made her clip her wing then stated 'oh, you're fine'...

And the horror on her face as her friends went plummeting to their doom... and I just really felt the hug between her and the others after she rescued them.

At first I did think that Dash would be jealous of LD and develope a bit of a rivalry, but it surprised me when they became friends.

Dash, I know you're awesome an' all... but you're just too darn cute, and ever increasing. <3

Edited by Appledashforever
  • Brohoof 3