Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think MLP:FiM would of gotten as far as it is now without bronies?

Esk

I love this fandom, I truly do. 

I love the amazing fan creations as well as the variety of fans that have stayed true.

However, I find myself wondering from time if FiM would of made as much of an impact without the brony fandom. Like if 4chan never discovered it, or if someone replaced Lauren....

I'd like to hear your thoughts..

No, I really don't think it would be as popular if it wasn't for Bronies.

But, Lauren Faust never originally intended the show to be for Bronies, so I guess she didn't expect it to be as popular as it has become.

• Brohoof 3

The show was created for a regular family audience...not really aimed for grown men and teenage boys. 

The FIRST season started the brony community. So if it was good before bronies existed...I'm pretty sure it would still be excellent.

But the fans sure do help with their great ideas, merch, and fanart.

We're one of the best fandoms out there.

• Brohoof 1

What do you mean "Would it have gotten this far?" as in, would it still be airing? It's quite possible, as I bet young children enjoy it quite a bit too.

I understand that it was intended for family audiences. And young girls do enjoy it.

Thing is, I keep thinking that if the brony fandom hadn't come about, it would be one of those cartoons that's really good but extremely underrated. I can't think of any examples of this (I'd say Batman the Animated Series, but that probably had a decent sized audience when it aired) I truly have no idea. It would still air, of course, but would it turn out the same?

Would there be those little nods to the background characters? Small hints of congenuity? And, would it have a fanbase beyond young girls and their families like it does now?

I think it wouldn't be as far into it as it is now if not for bronies. But bronies are only half the or less of the viewing and fans of the show. Even with bronies the show would have gone high(probaby) but if it appealed less to the brony audience, it would have a much less but still a fairly good impact on the community. These are my thoughts to your question.

I understand that it was intended for family audiences. And young girls do enjoy it.

Thing is, I keep thinking that if the brony fandom hadn't come about, it would be one of those cartoons that's really good but extremely underrated. I can't think of any examples of this (I'd say Batman the Animated Series, but that probably had a decent sized audience when it aired) I truly have no idea. It would still air, of course, but would it turn out the same?

Would there be those little nods to the background characters? Small hints of congenuity? And, would it have a fanbase beyond young girls and their families like it does now?

Well, the background characters wouldn't have become big without us so I'll say no. It's possible that they'd still include continuity nods because many good shoes do that. And since bronies are the fanbase beyond young girls and their families, I'll say that no, by definition without us it wouldn't have fans beyond young girls and their families.
  • Brohoof 1

I guess it wouldn't have grown this far without bronies. I knew this show from memes made by bronies. I think the fanfics and fanart spread the show much better than the show itself. Well, the show is the main reason after all.

I doubt it. Without us it would have just become one of any other children's show out there. Bronies are the biggest source of word-of-mouth advertising out there (I mean that in a good way) for MLP:FiM. We elevated the show to where it is today. and are the reason the whole universe beyond the Mane 6 exists in the first place.

Who made Derpy? Lyra? Dr. Whooves? We have ourselves to thank for their existence.

• Brohoof 2

Not at chance. While the show was designed to target everyone, bronies have made it one of the most popular shows of all time. Hasbro is making thousands from bronies everyday. Just like someone else posted, this show would be "just another childrens' show" if it wasn't for us.

In fact, I'd say that if bronies didn't find this show and start the bandwagon, MLP would not have made it to season three.

I would say no due to the fact that us Bronies are the main reason it is doing so good, if we were out of the picture, then it would just be catering to the target audience and just be floating by

at least, that's the way I see it

There would of never been a chance for the show, had something like "us" not happened. The thing would of staled and become another generic series of the current generation, designed for nothing more than to move merchandise.

Granted, it's still a marketing tool but the fandom has given it that extra spark that makes it unique.

• Brohoof 1

FiM wouldn't have made an impact at all without bronies. Oh sure, it would have sold well and done well among kids, but it wouldn't be the most talked-about show without us. It would basically be Pound Puppies/ Littlest Pet Shop. Those two have rebooted shows, but the fandom for them is small outside of kids. It's fun to wonder what FiM would be like without its brony fanbase - the show was clearly amped up in season 2 because they knew us bronies liked it.

• Brohoof 2

No, I really don't think it would be as popular if it wasn't for Bronies.

But, Lauren Faust never originally intended the show to be for Bronies, so I guess she didn't expect it to be as popular as it has become.

Lauren has a cult following so I'm sure that it would've been popular anyway even without bronies.Tho I'm not sure why she's so obsessed with getting her milky way and the galaxy girls aired.

No the show would have still been good at least for the first season or two but they wouldn't have had the kind of incentive to keep their new found fans happy which would have made a downfall not certain but far more likely. Simply put it would have just been seen as another little girls show designed to sell toys with the possibility of a small cult following.

• Brohoof 1

Interesting point.

It depends on what you mean by "this far" though, I think without the bronies the show would still be popular, I mean, it's been through Gen 1, 2 and 3 without the massive brony fanbase right? So it's obviously got followers from the original intended audience (Families, and young females) that keep it well on its journey. 

However I dont think the show would be as popular and well known today without the bronies. 

There are alot of us who go around posting ponies everywhere, and as annoying as this is even to other bronies, it does get attention to the show. I used to dislike MLP before I actually gave it a chance. It was down to discovering someone on the internet that I like (Michael Jones from Achievement Hunter) was a brony that got me into the show.

So I dont really know, I think it would still be popular and still be around, but I dont think it would be as received as it is now. 

I don't think it would've gotten this awesome if thats what your saying, I mean with all the fanart and influence to keep the show awesome I think it made the show well.. MORE AWESOME.

If your talking about airing.. Then eh, maybe. I think that if it wasn't for brony's, the show would've been alot different. However because of us the show took a turn for the better.

So i think the bronies made FIM what it is really. Plus the Fandom created so much amazing stuff... And so many awesome people are apart of the fandom.

Without the brony's FIM just wouldn't be FIM. Thats that.

The show was created for a regular family audience...not really aimed for grown men and teenage boys. 

Wrong. Grown men and teenage boys are part of the regular family audience. You would not be able to refer to as a "family audience" otherwise. It was created for children and their relatives, that includes male relatives.

• Brohoof 1

Without the entire fandom this show would be much less popular than it is right now. We fund this show with our many purchases of pony related merchandise. We are Hasbros main money making staple. If we didn't exist, this show wouldn't have lived past a first season.

Edited by XrosOver

No, without the Bronies and Pegasisters the show would of never been so popular as it is right now. The Bronies and Pegasisters is what really made the show sprend out through the Internet. Without the damson most of the viewers would probably just be little girls of course. The show would just be any old kids show. But the show is way more than just any other little girl show. It is way more fun to watch and way more entertaining to watch than any other show I have seen before. But that is why is love the show so much, and love to watch it every weekend. :)

Edited by Galex Dj

Without Bronies MLP:FIM would still exist  though only to syndication. The Hub would haver never became pony-happy in its marketing and would of likely stayed no more popular than Discovery Kids was before it.  The voice actors and actresses along with the musicians and animators would have just continued to work hoping someone enjoyed their work/references added. Michelle Creber would have likely had to have waited more years to gain a legit fanbase of her own seperate of her parents. Hey Ocean may have never gotten enough money for their world tour. And much much more would have never occured without the bronies.

Nope don't think so, I think it would have been the same show and all with the same animation.  In my mind nothing about it would be any different than it is now.  But i do think it would be a lot less popular.  Also there would be no Derpy Hooves.  The Hub and hasbro would not be so pony happy.  and the show would have most likely been pulleed already and put into syndication.  there would be no season 4.