Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What Video Game levels/bosses make you rage?

Moon Rat

- The secret Ennard level in Sister Location

- Any level with a ton of cliffs in Super Mario 64 DS

- Night 6 in FNAF 2

- Any Mario Bros level that has way too many tiny platforms and too many enemies surrounding them

The Catacombs of Carthus in Dark Souls 3 are my least favorite area, topped off by having the cheesiest, most gimmicky boss of the entire fucking game: High Lord Wolnir. Usually it's actually ranked as one of the easier bosses, and that's true if you beat him on your first try because he begins non-aggressive. If you don't, though, it's a massive pain in the ass. All you really need to do to kill him is destroying his three glowing golden bracelets, but he has an incredibly damaging AOE death fog that will kill you in about two seconds if you get caught in it, he spawns skeletons which cause bleed damage, and if you take too long he'll pin you against the back wall and the fog attack will kill you. There are plenty of bosses in the game that killed me way more often than Wolnir did, but with the other bosses I never felt like it was just a cheap gimmick fight. It's honestly the worst boss in the entire franchise for me, even worse than the Bed of Chaos in DS1.

• 2 years later...

Nameless King from Dark Souls 3 definitely got on my nerves hard. 

He had very odd timing of attacks, which made dodging difficult. Timing had to be flawless to avoid being hit and then You also needed room for attacks and healing. Some people easily put him down (no idea, how), but I am not among them.

In the end I had to cheese him, aka use equipment tailored specifically to resist his attacks making his damage silly if not entirely non existent. It's the only boss I ever cheesed. And I have to be fair with myself - I haven't beaten him. Defeating boss that way is like defeating a skilled knight in combat after replacing his armor and sword with cardboard. 

Maybe one day I will do another Dark Souls run... and this time beat him fair and square. 

I kind of rage a little at the speed up in Tetris The Absolute's Death Mode at level 300, where it is just fast enough to lag my brain. It is pushing my limits, and has not changed my limits since I first played the game long long ago :worry:

Sky Pillar in Pokémon Emerald. Ruby and Sapphire were ok because I only had to climb it once but in Emerald it’s trashed and I usually cannot make the fast turns needed to avoid falling through to the ground below. Makes me wanna throw whatever I’m playing it on. Only once did I actually get through it.

also Ein in Pokémon Colosseum. Got soooo frustrated with “Lanturn used rain dance! Raikou used thunder!” Thunder never misses in rain. And Lanturn also knows confuse ray. Ughhhh

In gen 1 Pokémon the gym leaders don’t use PP limits and I got stuck in a loop with Sabrina’s Kadabra using recover. 

Arcanine in Legends Arceus.  That game is tough for a Pokémon game. I got annoyed and resorted to cheats as my Switch is modded and infinite health cheats exist. 

slightly older, but any of Ecco Tides of Time’s Sky tube levels where you die if you move wrong. Never could beat either Ecco game. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Malenia, Blade of Miquella has caused me untold pain and very much told profanity. Especially with my thrusting sword/enchantments build. I adore Elden Ring, but I am still unsure if I would consider Malenia a truly good boss fight or not.

• Brohoof 1

On 2020-07-01 at 6:29 AM, Splashee said:

I don't rage over difficult levels or bosses. I rage over unfairness. Sometimes games are done wrong.

Like Mega Man X6 and X7 :scoots:

Star Wars:  The Old Republic  

Chapter 12 of Knights of the Fallen Empire had this one boss in a cave.  That being Vaylin, a lengthy lightsaber battle where you have to avoid collapsing rocks and debris as she uses the force to collapse onto you between each lightsaber choreography.  This battle can take 20 to 40 minutes long.  It is key to use all combat abilities on your activity bar.  You must also time your movements in circular motion of this narrow slope in the cave.  If you step out of bounds of the slope in a certain area, you must start the boss fight all over again:bea:  

• 3 weeks later...

The uhh... side missions in Black Ops 2 that I can't remember the name of, some of those missions were an actual pain to beat on veteran.

Also, every stage 3/4+ boss in every Touhou Project game ever (even the ones I haven't played yet). I'm bad at bullet hell and it gets really stressful when I actually make it far, so to die at those stages can be heartbreaking.

• 6 months later...

INEPT from Yooka-Laylee. So you take the next Kartos challenge, only this time you're met with a boss fight as boring and unintuitive as the rest of the level he's in, while you once again contend with Kartos' lousy controls.

It was an interesting concept, but the execution was poor and left little room for error.

I skipped the last levels of the game after that and went to the final boss - they were that boring. 

Nameless King in Dark Souls 3. It's not even that he was some impossible boss that's so hard to beat it drives you crazy. It's that you're actively fighting the camera system while trying battle his first phase. A difficult but overall fair boss is one thing but a boss where you have to fight against the game's mechanics as well is just so irritating.

The final Bowser boss battle in New Super Mario Bros. 2. Just when you thought you defeated him at first, he comes back to life, grows giant, then destroys the stage. That was infuriating for a bit.

There are other games with hard moments that made me feel like rage quitting, but this was the only one I could think of at the moment.

Operation Knightfall in Star Wars Battlefront 2. Specifically the part where you have to protect the bookcases from the Jedi. They are just way too quick. If you waste even one second, you may as well just restart as you've pretty much already lost. Once you complete it and get access to Vader, the rest of the mission is pretty enjoyable. It's just that one really frustrating part that makes me angry.

The series of Riovantes Castle fights in Final Fantasy Tactics is notorious for softlocking people and effectively killing their save files if they come unprepared as you were given an option to save in between battles but aren't given an option to leave and return if you were underleveled. Just a nasty trap for new players. The Wiegraf/Velius fights were notorious for being the most difficult fight in the entire game if you came unprepared or had the wrong loadouts as the bosses and the enemies they summoned had massive targeting range and did massive damage. Then there was the fight on the roof that had you trying to protect a guest who's AI was a braindamaged moron who would often run into Assassins head on and die before you could even do anything(again if you came in unprepared.)

Protips:
- Buy Sprint Shoes solely for the final battle.
- Keep multiple save files
- Make sure everyone knows Auto-potions and you only have X-Potions
- Make sure Ramza has "Concentrate" to make the fight with Wiegraf more tolerable