Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mass Effect Facebook Page Attacked Because Misidentified Suspect Liked It

Akemi Homura

Here is the link in which, as you could see, shit went down.

I read that article a little before I made this topic, but it didn't really surprise me. Parents acting on their fear of their children going through the same thing as that horrible incident which rocked that school in Connecticut and ultimately ended up finding something to blame. You can kind of tell that I don't worry about their own kids' safety, but rather their inability to not go ahead and educate themselves about what actually happened. Misidentifying the actual suspect and then using a video game as a scapegoat is hardly anything to be respectful of.

Edited by Alfonzo Dennard
  • Brohoof 2

This annoys me on so many levels.

I hate people who try and use Video games as excuses for someones actions, it wasnt the games fault someone was mentally unstable and decided to kill a bunch of people.

• Brohoof 7

This annoys me so bad. I play GTA but i'm never like hey let me go pull a gun on somebody and steal thier car or do i say hey let me go rob a bank. Parents seem to forget video games have ratings on them maybe you shouldn't buy your 8 year old a game that says mature 17+. "Sigh" some people will blame everything and everyone but the person responsible. <_<

The suspect was misidentified, but even if the real suspect did like mass effect it wouldn't have been what inspired him to commit his terrible crime, people who use video games as a reason for these crimes need to seriously rethink their arguments, someone who takes another's life, especially that of a child's, has serious mental issues, something that isn't created by playing video games.

When will people learn that you can't judge everyone as a whole for the actions of the few. Those few who are to blame should be blamed seperately from the rest of us so we can enjoy our lives and the activities like Mass Effect in them. The parents of those people have the right to worry but don't have the sense to not over react.

ALRITE BROSKES

LETS BAN SPORTS, PEOPLE GET HURT IN THAT

LETS BAN COMPUTERS, PEOPLE CAN GET DAMAGED EYES

LETS BAN FOOD, IT MAKES PEOPLE FAT

KimJong-un_2349760b.jpg

Dear reader kim jon un approves of this message and he wishes to spread his wise teachings to every corner of the universe.

• Brohoof 2

My thoughts...

What the fuck...

Dose the world really need to be like this?

It's so pathetic how human react to such and such things...

Wich is why the world is ending soon... (No I don't believe 2012) but its possible... If all the nukes in the world blew up...

Back on topic... Games play for skill and fun... It shoudent go all the way to the point where the sick minded go around re acting the game...

I wish I lived in equestria...

And there goes another reason why I hate people.

Seriously, games don't make people do things like this. They were already messed up in the head beforehand, something just so happens to finally push them over the edge. People need to learn this and leave games alone when this sort of thing happens.

This annoys me on so many levels.

I hate people who try and use Video games as excuses for someones actions, it wasnt the games fault someone was mentally unstable and decided to kill a bunch of people.

I want to give you so many brohoofs right now, you have said the exact thing that was going through my mind when i clicked the link.

... Reading all the replies so far have actually made me wonder about something badly. Some years ago I made a Powerpoint presentation about video game violence and their influence with the people and I based everything on the news I found in the Internet and on my personal experience.

I say the same thing I said in that presentation. It is not the games' fault that people get violent. It's the people themselves who might mix fantasy with reality, buy games that are actually banned from them and don't look at the warnings on the cover. And the parents who also buy games for their children don't necessarily know what they are actually buying for their children. Games can influence people in the wrong way, especially if we don't realize what's right and what's wrong, what's true and what's fantasy.

Then there are games like Doom in which enemies get resurrected on the hardest difficulty level. What influence do you think THAT will give to a person who can't tell apart reality and fiction?

Okay so that part was okay since it's actually true. It's the examples I wrote in. I wrote about two different school shootings and even included one car crash. I know... there's really nothing violent about car racing (unless you include games like Carmageddon) but I did find a news article about a car race that ended in a crash and a name of car racing game was included so I put that in as an example of influence. All the examples I put in because in the news a video game was mentioned as a partial blame. Games like Doom and GTA.

Now that I'm reading this topic, I wonder if I actually told any truth.

... I got 5/5 on that presentation, by the way.

Edited by Koori

Classic scapegoat for parents. Many parents today seem to have like beef with video games and if they spot anything that could be REMOTELY used against it, they seem to immediately use that against it. Why video games specifically, if people are so easily manipulated by that of which is fantasy, why not bring up movies? Books? TV? Any form of media really. Its blows my mind how simple minded people can be sometimes

pinkie_pie_double_facehoof_by_zachgamer7

This would be the second time the Mass Effect Facebook page was attacked over stupid crap.

Mass Effect is not bad, people need to leave it alone. It gets SO much undeserved bull-crap from people. I like Mass Effect, do you see me shooting people? No.

Oh, and video games aren't responsible for violence in children. Bad parenting is.

Edited by Urdnot Pinkie Pie

DsXiY.jpg

This whole shooting hysteria really gives some of the greatest evidence that some parts of mankind are FUBAR

Is it too late to get that eugenic thing going?

Games can influence people in the wrong way, especially if we don't realize what's right and what's wrong, what's true and what's fantasy.

Not only games, novels and blogs can easily do that too if the readers are easily convinced or swayed. We have some weird cases where people start worshipping fictional characters, and there is this case about some Russian kid committed a suicide because some Naruto character died. People picked games because, well, it's shiny and the violence is readily visible. On the other side we can have a novel that depicts mutilation or brutal sex life in full detail and everyone is okay with it.

Then there are games like Doom in which enemies get resurrected on the hardest difficulty level. What influence do you think THAT will give to a person who can't tell apart reality and fiction?

We need to start our work on the people first, not the game. It's the same way that we need to get those crack addicts to rehab rather than burning all crack we can get on our hand.

• Brohoof 2

*snips*

I just wanted to say that I brohoofed this so hard that I now have to go buy a new monitor.

Now my rant...

It sickens me when things like video games, movies, radio stations, fictional characters, or whatever else become the targets of idiocracy because the parents or do-gooders feel like their opinions should be reason enough to have something changed, removed, banned, etc.

If you don't like it then don't watch, play, listen, whatever. If you don't want your kids doing the same, then don't let them. All you're doing though by starting a pitchfork riot against something you deem evil is taking that thing away from those who enjoy it and have enough common sense to know it isn't real or that they can stop their kids from doing/listening/seeing something by turning a knob usually.

Leave my games, music, tv shows, toys, BuckyBalls, Ponies, and many other things alone! I will be to sole decider if I or my future kids should have any interaction with something. Not you because you don't want your kids interacting with it and because your actions are a horrible example to show your kids.  :angry:

:blink:

ok, I'm good now...  :P

I think some parents need to pay Garrus Vakarian a visit for some "mental" calibrations. I hate it when people blame video games almost instantly, and Mass Effect of all games, why? BioWare has had a tough year, ME3's ending (which they fixed, but some people still complain), now this.