Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Derpy offensive?

Pr3datorTaco

And who said Derpy was disabled in the first place? Being clumsy and cross eyed does not make you disabled by any stretch of the imagination. Hell. I'm clumsy and cross eyed, but I don't yell "OFFENSIVE STEREOTYPE" each time I walk past a mirror.

I had a coworker once who had those same lazy eyes like Derpy but other than that she seemed normal and I remember talking to her one time when we were both on either break or lunch and she mentioned this time a customer called her a stupid retard. I have a mild form of Autism and alot of people think that and mental retardation are the same as well, the doctor that diagnosed me said I would never get an IQ past 50 when an IQ test I took shortly afterward revealed my IQ was significantly higher than most children my age. The people who complained may want to close their eyes and cover their ears but that won't make people who are different go away, if my parents had this attitude and tried to sweep my problems under the rug I would not be the person I am today.

• 4 weeks later...

Some people just don't understand. I for one think its ridiculous that they would remove dearest Derpy Hooves. As a matter of fact, they might as well take away Dinky too (Not saying that should though). I say for everypony when I say this; is that we can all agree that we love and care about Derpy Hooves and to have her removed for this? It's just ridiculous. Now I know some people think she "is" offensive because of her eyes and that it might be portraying for people who look mentally ill, but it's not like she's saying anything wrong, her eyes were just a simple glitch and ever since then bronies everywhere grew more and more attached for Derpy. Also may I add in the beginning no one seem to mind her eyes until fastforward months later as of today. Also let me bring up something that not a lot of people may not know about. Remember Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past? For those who still remember, Link's hair color in that game was suppose to be brown or blonde (I can't remember which one), BUT suddenly just like like Derpy Hooves with her eyes, Link's hair had a glitch and instead of a normal hair color it was pink. After the game was released people started to noticed the hair color but guess what, no one got "offened" nor no one started to complain or rant, nothing at all. In fact everyone loved it, and when Shigeru Miyamoto realized the glitch and how everyone didn't mind and how it made the game even more popular he didn't bother to change it back to normal. See? Something like that wasn't changed or removed completely because that little glitch made Link very popular and just like Derpy Hooves her glitch is what makes her special and is just a part of her. Now for those who watch MLP: FiM and dislike Derpy because she looks "offensive" and who want her gone, I have four words for you: "Stop watching the show". If you think she's offending the mentally ill, then stop watching and stop demanding her gone. If you really wanna complain about a show and for its characters, please for the love of sweet Celestia, complain about the "It's Fred!" cartoon series on Youtube. Anyhoove my point is that Derpy is a special part of MLP: FiM and if she were gone and completely removed from the show I think most of the bronies wouldn't be here if Derpy was gone. For those who get what I'm saying I hope I got you thinking about this because if you do agree with me and how ridiculous it is to call a harmless, innocent pegasus like Derpy Hooves "offensive", I thank you for caring and listening.

I've never viewed her as offensive, she's always been more of a symbol of acceptance to me. Kinda showing that now matter how different you are you're still just like the rest of us you know?  It's a shame some people can't see that.  :(

What's offensive is naming an air-headed blonde 'Ditzy.' Talk about perpetuating old, tired stereotypes....

Hasbro had the opportunity to positively affect internet jargon and instead they went the PC route and kowtowed to the complainers. Not their finest hour, imho. Perhaps she should be phased out of the show if it's going to be a contentious issue. Leave her to us, we'll treat her with the love and respect she deserves.

Edited by decoherence

• 2 years later...

Those people are offended because they are totally sensitive people with extreme special needs, no offense, and Hasbro just started thinking that it's their fault that they're offended by such a character and they thought that if they removed her and removed, ''Derpy'' from the dialogue they would be all happy and watch MLP again, which about the opposite happened.

• 3 weeks later...

dSby2.jpg

I like Derpy because she shows her imperfections, making her seem more human, more real.  We all have our own differences, some weaknesses, some strengths, and some simply unique traits.  Derpy's eyes look different and she is clumsy, but she is often seen trying to be of help to others.

• Brohoof 2

Seriously ?! People take things way to seriously ! How is it that a pegusus that's clumsy and has derped eyes be offensive ?! oh so I guess if that's the case we're going to have to else every dumb chracter to ever exist ! Seriously no one futures about Stimpy from the Ren and Stimpy show or Ed ( both from Ed Ed and eddy and the lion King ). If any characters should get taken off any show it should be Snips and snails along with Patrick star from spongebob ! Those ate offensive retard chracter not fucking derpy! Wtf is wrong with people today .. I'm only 14 and I'm embarrassed to live In this idiotic generation !

• 3 weeks later...

Although I personally don't/didn't find Derpy offensive, I could understand why some parents got riled up about her.

I'll never understand people who don't think before they speak, and it seems they didn't bother asking if it was an animation mistake, plus the boy voice was way cuter.

At least Youtube keeps her alive in our memories.

There's a difference between having a character who's mentally retarded with a name that implies mental retardation, and making fun of mentally retarded people for being retarded. Derpy was, of course, the former. So changing her name was ridiculous. You can't even say you were offended by it, as it wasn't even making fun of retards, for crying out loud.

Le sigh.

I don't find derpy to be offensive at all... in my opinion shes cute :3 but in all seriousness though, I find it weird how people don't search stuff on the internet before they go and call out on an "offensive" character.... read the history of the character first guys... and really, I find snips and snails to be more offensive to be honest with you.

Edited by KrazyDashie
  • Brohoof 2

What I find tasteless is how a bunch of bronies saw a pony with strabismus and decided to give her a name that makes fun of it.  Then, on top of that, a bunch of bronies decided to make her stupid and disastrously clumsy (two stereotypes of people with strabismus).  Instead of making her a pony who happens to have strabismus, they made her the pony who is the butt of the joke because of her strabismus.

And don't give me that junk about how no one meant it that way, because the results are what matter not your intent.  And the result was a hurtful stereotype. And I don't give a flying buck about the actual definition of derp.  The fact is that people have used it and continue to use it to make fun of people with disabilities.  So there is going to be a negative connotation to it and telling people to get over that is asking them to just forget their life experience.

• Brohoof 2

What I find tasteless is how a bunch of bronies saw a pony with strabismus and decided to give her a name that makes fun of it.  Then, on top of that, a bunch of bronies decided to make her stupid and disastrously clumsy (two stereotypes of people with strabismus).  Instead of making her a pony who happens to have strabismus, they made her the pony who is the butt of the joke because of her strabismus.

And don't give me that junk about how no one meant it that way, because the results are what matter not your intent.  And the result was a hurtful stereotype. And I don't give a flying buck about the actual definition of derp.  The fact is that people have used it and continue to use it to make fun of people with disabilities.  So there is going to be a negative connotation to it and telling people to get over that is asking them to just forget their life experience.

I guess we'll have to fundamentally disagree because I consider intent far more important than result. Someone could make fun of me or my past experiences; it's a big difference whether the comment was intended as humourous or degrading. If I get offended from a comment intended as humourous, I'm at fault. Derpy is a legitimately loved character, not simply a character made to be degraded.

I guess we'll have to fundamentally disagree because I consider intent far more important than result. Someone could make fun of me or my past experiences; it's a big difference whether the comment was intended as humourous or degrading. If I get offended from a comment intended as humourous, I'm at fault. Derpy is a legitimately loved character, not simply a character made to be degraded.

But if a person makes a comment trying to be funny and the result is someone's feelings are hurt, then the kind and rational thing to do is to not make those comments again.  

But if a person makes a comment trying to be funny and the result is someone's feelings are hurt, then the kind and rational thing to do is to not make those comments again.  

The problem is that I find there is a very large number of people who get offended far too easily and the reality is that it's impossible to not offend at least someone; it makes more sense to me for people to not care as much. I used to be one of those people who got offended by things too easily; the controversy surrounding Derpy made me re-evaluate what is worth being offended by and what is not. It has been said before, being offended doesn't make you right.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

Nope, Derpy's not offensive..

I think it's just stupid people getting defensive over petty things.

Like that one person, you know.....XD

As some others have said, I think Derpy can be used to give the message that "It's okay to be different" and "you can't change who you are" and all that fun stuff...

She's not. People on the internet just like to get butthurt/salty/whatever it's called these days about everything. 'Derp' is not an offensive word because for me, it's always been something people ay about themselves when they do something stupid.

So, it really was iTunes that did that to the episode...such a damn shame...

In any case, I guess I can see why some would see the character as offensive, but even then that is only in the big extreme. It's silly.

I have a friend who had her own disabilities and she saw Derpy as an inspiration; it saddened her when they made the changes...

• Brohoof 2

Derpy is definitely not offensive to ANYONE. However, I am offended by the sheer paranoia that iTunes had against the show. Apple is such a waste of a good company anyway. The reason why iTunes wanted to censor Derpy was to avoid potential "controversy" from the public. 

post-27780-0-23767700-1406415020.gif

So, it really was iTunes that did that to the episode...such a damn shame...

In any case, I guess I can see why some would see the character as offensive, but even then that is only in the big extreme. It's silly.

I have a friend who had her own disabilities and she saw Derpy as an inspiration; it saddened her when they made the changes...

One of the things that irritated me about the Derpy controversy is that the majority of complaints seemed to have come from people who were "offended on behalf" of the supposed target group. And as mentioned by another, the claim that Derpy is offensive because of the perception that she's stupid and insults targeted group... I question why characters like Patrick and Stimpy are acceptable. Double standards?

I think it's clear from the comments in this thread that she is legitimately loved, not mocked.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 2

The only thing I find offensive is to censure her name and her voice.

I didn't find her offensive at all in her first speaking role. Quite the contrary, there are disabled people in real life, so why not in MLP:FIM?