Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Derpy offensive?

Pr3datorTaco

Derpy was a victim of our sue-happy society, where even a handful of bitchy soccer moms can ruin enjoyment for millions of people. Believe me this isn't the first time I've encountered this kind of BS.

If anything, changing Derpy was what was truly offensive. MLP:FiM is about loving and tolerating people for who they ARE, not who they SHOULD BE. Derpy was fine the way she was - eyes, voice, everything. They are what made her unique, what made her beautiful, and the society that was depicted in Ponyville is what we should be striving for in our world - where people have the opportunity to thrive no matter what challenges they face. Yet some people couldn't see that unfortunately, so instead of trying to take a lesson that could make our world a better place, they chose to change the lesson to something that reflects the shallowness of our society as it is.

*sigh*

Edited by Lightning Dust
  • Brohoof 2

I personally find Derpy to be VERY adorable and definitely NOT offensive

And I say shame on the soccer moms out there for ruining such a great opportunity for an episode on acceptance :(

People associate Derpy with being retarded or having a mental condition because of her eyes? That's just weird...

I never thought of Derpy as retarded or anything, so I don't find Derpy's voice and actions in The Last Roundup offensive or could be seen as offensive. The second voice I think is offensive. It is more of a stereotypical blonde voice, and combined with the actions of Derpy almost makes it seem like they are emphasizing the "dumb blonde" thing.

It is only offensive when you MAKE it offensive.

Agreed, Derpy isn't offensive at all.

The only reason people say she's offensive is because they relate her to mental illness.

(hmmm maybe i should leave thid thread before my blood starts to boil...... to late)

I don't find the character offensive, but derp is slang for stupid and the way its used against her is offensive, tell me if you saw some one getting called derpy and being though of as mentally challenged even those she only has a lazy eye.

also its not a disability nor a handicap and it can be treated, i got my lazy eye fixed after being sick and tired of being bullied and called stupid for it  there's nothing wrong with doing that it happens all the time.

stop trying to act all self righteous and justified when you go all about #savederpy when all you rely doing is bullying right down the the threats myself and other people got for complaining.

and if anyone trys to jump on my ass about it I've discussed my reason for contacting them and pointing out the use of the word derpy was too much.

• Brohoof 1

No, Derpy is not and has never been offensive.  Bronies were the ones who noticed her and gave her her name.  Then what happens when she is finally brought into the show?  A bunch of whiney, thin skinned cry babies, and of course soccer moms (the second worst scum of humanity next to Fox News) start crying OFFENSIVE! 

If anything I find Derpy absolutely loveable.  I wish she was a minor character that spoke more often.  Also, that infamous episode aired on my birthday... best... present... ever. ^_^

As I see it, the problem is that Derpy's presentation in Last Roundup caricatured mentally challenged people. All that's needed to resolve the problem is characterization, give her a personality and all will be good.

Edited by ByTheTides

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2012-12-16 at 9.30.50 PM.png

Found her! 

She's been In every episode so far just hidden really well in the intro sequence.

I just with they gave her more scripted roles like in the nightmare night episode. She dosent even have to talk for those.

she was always there.... once season 2 started they put her there... i guess they forgot about her being there and forgot to remove her in the season 3 starting thingy....

but its nice to see her at the start of every episode

• 2 weeks later...
So I was just wondering, for those who find "Derpy" offensive why do you?

I respect your opinion completely I was just wondering why you did/do.

(I personally don't but that's just me.)

I don't want to start a fight but if one does breakout I WILL ask a mod to shut the thread down.

I dont find myself Derpy offensive ,she is always trying hard ,even though that dosent  succeed all the time.I think that is important that she tries.

• Brohoof 1

I dont find myself Derpy offensive ,she is always trying hard ,even though that dosent  succeed all the time.I think that is important that she tries.

Haha! Love your pewdie picture! Brofist/hoof. It's nice to see that lots of people don't find derpy offensive, I think the world is becoming a little to "soft". I mean shes a cartoon pony! It doesn't hurt anypony.

Haha! Love your pewdie picture! Brofist/hoof. It's nice to see that lots of people don't find derpy offensive, I think the world is becoming a little to "soft". I mean shes a cartoon pony! It doesn't hurt anypony.

Nice to see a bro *brofist/brohoof* Yes i do think that some people just want to drag other people down,derpy isnt offensive she is cute and she is portrayed as a good pony.

Honestly, it's not like she's the only cartoon character to be potrayed as stupid or clumsy.

And most of those other characters have had MUCH more airtime than her.

Take Patrick Star, for example. He's been potrayed as a lazy idiot since the season 1 of Spongebob. He's done countless stupid/idiotic things, which are much more moronic and more offensive than the 3-6 minutes Derpy had.

There are countless other idiotic and "offensive" characters, all of them could be considered offensive. So, why is she considered offensive and characters like Patrick Star not?

• Brohoof 3

None of the bronies really wanted her to go. When parents saw their kids watching that episode, they thought that Derpy was an attack on the mentally ill. They took one look and saw the crossed eyes and clumsy behavior, and took it as mental retardation.

Patrick, on the other hand, has always been stupid. It's part of his charm, I suppose. But a lot of parents stop their kids from watching Spongebob. I guess they didn't like Derpy on a show as innocent as one filled with magical ponies made for young girls.

This is my take on it. I could be wrong.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know. I don't know why people have to be so sensitive over petty matters. They feel like they need to protect those who are 'different' and as such their personalities are never portrayed. Jeez, everyone is different. How is portraying our differences in any shape or form offensive? It would be great if there was an episode dedicated to Derpy as I think it would work great. I mean, they've given episodes to the Cutie Mark Crusaders, so why not develop background characters a little?

• Brohoof 1

My best guess as to why the soccer moms feel this way is because they believe her to be a portrayal to be of those that are mentally handicapped, as crossed eyes and overall clumsiness are stereotypical thingies of those that are mentally handicapped. I don't know why it rustles their jimmies though. There are MANY other cartoon characters that act even worse and no one gives a damn about them. Patrick Star is a perfect example.

• Brohoof 2

Patrick is outside of the MLP universe, yet Snips and Snails are on the same level as Patrick, and somehow theyre not offensive... and allowed on the show with mild speaking roles most of the time. da fuck (cartman voice)

derpy is NOT offensive, its just close minded soccer moms that got bent out of shape and tried to condemn her to the gallows. trying to change her character didnt help either, because it suggests that you should get yourself fixed if youre different, so people will accept you. seriously, fuck the Derpy haters. shes too adorable to throw away because a few people cryed over her eyes. 

You see, today, everything is offensive, and all that is offensive can be sued. It's really hard to go after people who really mean to be offensive, for they have too much of influence to be taken down or they are really hard to track, so you have to focus on things like character in MLP who may be portraying someone with disability.

It's kind of the same scenario as when four policemen keep rechecking your reserve tire in your car again and again, while there is a street race on the road next to you and shooting just across the street. Why bother when you can just do the easy thing and pick on people who won't resist?

Patrick is outside of the MLP universe, yet Snips and Snails are on the same level as Patrick, and somehow theyre not offensive... and allowed on the show with mild speaking roles most of the time. da fuck (cartman voice)

derpy is NOT offensive, its just close minded soccer moms that got bent out of shape and tried to condemn her to the gallows. trying to change her character didnt help either, because it suggests that you should get yourself fixed if youre different, so people will accept you. seriously, fuck the Derpy haters. shes too adorable to throw away because a few people cryed over her eyes. 

Yes, Snips and Snails are far more "disabled" than Derpy. Derpy, I don't feel is disabled at all. In fact, the reason her eyes are like that is due to an animation error in one of the first episodes. Also, each pony has a distinct personality, maybe hers is just simply being clumsy.

I dunno. Spongebob has become a popular icon, and since it's like an everyday thing people don't see Patrick Star as offensive. Society logic. 

They thought Derpy was offensive because they thought she was portrayed as a mentally challenged person because of her eyes and voice. Personally, I think the whole thing is just stupid. Your right, why not Patrick as well? In today's world, everything is considered offensive, and you can't go through one thing without someone considering it offensive. You didn't see many people do that, say, 30 years ago. Sheesh, what's with people? Didn't know there were so much sensitive people. 

Derpy is Derpy, she is not a hint of any offensive material, and she has been this way for a whole season and nobody complained about it until now. She is just clumsy, and there have been numerous characters who acted just like her. And when I saw the episode, it didn't even occur to me that it would be 'offensive'. Those people need to chill out. It's just a kids show, they didn't intend any harm. 

• Brohoof 1