Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

img-1004825-1-SSP.png

Facebook (NEW!) | Tumblr | DeviantART | Twitter | Youtube | Website

Featuring: Dev Log #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCs2oxYn5s

Super Smash Ponies is a 2D fighting game that combines the gameplay of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise and the world of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

We are hard at work to develop this game, and we'd like to hear community feedback. Every bit helps; the more the merrier!

Ready... Set... DISCUSS!

Edited by Majesticyoshi
  • Brohoof 16

I just gotta say: This sounds awesome!

Two questions:

1. Will it be a flash game or something you have to install?

2. Will you be needing any kind of assistance in this game? :)

When I first saw this I thought this was going to be horrendous looking mugen fighting game where the sprites were quite literally just the same pony sprites that everyone else uses which simply don't translate well to a fighting game. After looking at a screenshot, all I can really say is damn that actually looks pretty nice! I'm taking a look at one of your texture map things on DA and the poses look pretty cool.

I know that graphics aren't everything and all, but so far I'm pretty impressed. I hope that this project is completed because I'm getting the feeling that you guys know what you're doing and understand what makes a great game.

Edited by Lord Bababa
  • Brohoof 1

Dangg that looks fregin sweet, I'm curious as to if its going to be something you have to install or not though, it looks quite amazing though. Very well made from what I see.

I can't really offer anything other then the fact that it looks awesome and y'all should keep on working at it :).

I always loved SSB. Maybe I'll check this out too whenever it comes around.

First off this multiquote thing is amazing lol

It looks fun.  I've always liked the SSB series (and am quite disappointed there wasn't one for the Wii U...).  I'm very interested to see where this goes, and will keep an eye on it.

Considering that the WiiU was only recently released, it's only no surprise that one has not come out yet. I hear Namco Bandai is teaming up to work on the WiiU's Smash Bros. title.

I just gotta say: This sounds awesome!

Two questions:

1. Will it be a flash game or something you have to install?

2. Will you be needing any kind of assistance in this game? :)

1) It will be a game that requires installation on your computer.

2) Any suggestions help!

Well, can't wait to see how this turns out, I'll be sure to pop around for updates!

By the way, are you basing the mechanics after Melee or Brawl?

We're basing it off a bit of melee, but we've changed the mechanics so much that it's a bit more unique, and faster paced than any of the three previous Smash Bros. titles.

First off this multiquote thing is amazing lol

Considering that the WiiU was only recently released, it's only no surprise that one has not come out yet. I hear Namco Bandai is teaming up to work on the WiiU's Smash Bros. title.

1) It will be a game that requires installation on your computer.

2) Any suggestions help!

We're basing it off a bit of melee, but we've changed the mechanics so much that it's a bit more unique, and faster paced than any of the three previous Smash Bros. titles.

Faster paced? Sweeeet. Can't wait! Though I don't see a way around waiting, short of inventing time travel. *Insert Pinkie Pie opening mailbox repeatedly.*

This looks very promising. :)  You've done great work with the effects, graphics, voice acting, music choice, and such. Very nice work. However, I would consider buying a domain to look more professional, if possible. When will this be available to the public? :P

Edited by Swick

This looks very promising. :)  You've done great work with the effects, graphics, voice acting, music choice, and such. Very nice work. However, I would consider buying a domain to look more professional, if possible. When will this be available to the public? :P

Yup. If we had any money that we could get from our own pockets, then we'd set up a domain no time flat.

This game is still currently in alpha stages, so we can't give a good ballpark of when this game will be available to the public. Our plan is that we hope to finish the mane six by august, and then make a public beta available after a convention tournament WHOOPS DID I JUST SAY THAT OUT LOUD.

• Brohoof 1

Nuu August is so far awaaayyyy... Ah well, I know personally how long game development takes. So, this leaves me with two more questions:

1. Will there be a ledge-hang? Like when you're in midair near a ledge, you attach onto it? Because the number of times those've saved me is twice as high as the number of books Twilight Sparkle has read.

2. What programming language are you using? Out of curiosity. ;)

I can't wait to try this out! I have three questions

1. Is their going to be a story mode like The Subspace Emissary

2. Is their going to be online multiplayer

3. Is their going to be any surprise characters that aren't in the MLP Universe.

Nuu August is so far awaaayyyy... Ah well, I know personally how long game development takes. So, this leaves me with two more questions:

1. Will there be a ledge-hang? Like when you're in midair near a ledge, you attach onto it? Because the number of times those've saved me is twice as high as the number of books Twilight Sparkle has read.

2. What programming language are you using? Out of curiosity. ;)

1. Funny you say that, I just imported a ledgegrab animation into the game.

2. GML. We're programming this is Game Maker Studio. Personally to me, it does the job quickly and effectively to our needs.

I can't wait to try this out! I have three questions

1. Is their going to be a story mode like The Subspace Emissary

2. Is their going to be online multiplayer

3. Is their going to be any surprise characters that aren't in the MLP Universe.

1. It's still in the air, but the chances right now seem very likely

2. Yes, so long as we can figure out the best solution from connecting one client to another.

3. Yes.

• Brohoof 2

Eewww, GameMaker. I used to use GameMaker, but IMO programming in FlashDevelop is more organized and more capable. Just my opinion. Plus it's quicker. ;) But you guys must be pretty good with GM if you got all this awesomeness going on. And yay for ledgegrabs! :D

P.S. "we'd set up a domain no time flat."

* "we'd set up a domain in 10 seconds flat." Sorry, had to do that. :lol:

...Lots o' smilies in this post, isn't there?

Edited by Swick

Eewww, GameMaker. I used to use GameMaker, but IMO programming in FlashDevelop is more organized and more capable. Just my opinion. Plus it's quicker. ;) But you guys must be pretty good with GM if you got all this awesomeness going on. And yay for ledgegrabs! :D

P.S. "we'd set up a domain no time flat."

* "we'd set up a domain in 10 seconds flat." Sorry, had to do that. :lol:

...Lots o' smilies in this post, isn't there?

We just use game maker since that's the only option that we're most knowledgeable at. 

And yes, I was about to use that reference, but I chose not to considering it may have been used a bit too much.  :)

• Brohoof 1

OMG!!! I LOVE this idea! It's absolutely brilliant!! I'm going to have to go out and buy a game controller for my computer just so I can play this! I know for sure my hubby will come out of the closet for this game (I swear he's a closet broney and doesn't want even me knowing for fear of me telling his friends....oh well :3)

• Brohoof 1

Couple of questions:

1. Without giving anything away, how many characters are you looking to have beyond the Mane 6 or is this still up in the air?

2. Will there be tripping?

1) The character roster will be at 21 characters.

2) There will be no random tripping in our game. This is to ensure that whoever wants to play competitively will not be affected by random factors such as that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mlp: Fighting is magic is one thing and very cool.... 

But  Super Smash Ponies > Mlp: Fighting is magic!!!

Think about that for a second having the background characters as unlockables and then having your own create your character ;)! I would buy that in a heartbeat.....

• Brohoof 1

The feedback is very much appreciated! I'm looking forward to this game being finished as soon as it can, it's going to be great. There is a new video on the first post of this topic, so yeah  :P

Hope you'll enjoy!

I LOVE THIS.

I want to know everything about it and will be following it religiously. If this is completed, I might be the first person to try this who never played any Super Smash Brothers game. :P

1. Are the ponies' moves all the same except for specials, or will there be more variation in their moves?

2. Can you have Fluttershy do a "yay" when she wins?

3. Can RD do a Sonic Rainboom?

4. Will there be any fillies like the CMC?

5. Can Pinkie use the Party Cannon?

6. How many different stages will there be to fight in?

7. Will the ponies have more facial expressions than Twilight shows here?

8. Will the ponies have any spoken lines, or just grunts?

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 1

I LOVE THIS.

I want to know everything about it and will be following it religiously. If this is completed, I might be the first person to try this who never played any Super Smash Brothers game. :P

1. Are the ponies' moves all the same except for specials, or will there be more variation in their moves?

2. Can you have Fluttershy do a "yay" when she wins?

3. Can RD do a Sonic Rainboom?

4. Will there be any fillies like the CMC?

5. Can Pinkie use the Party Cannon?

6. How many different stages will there be to fight in?

7. Will the ponies have more facial expressions than Twilight shows here?

8. Will the ponies have any spoken lines, or just grunts?

1. There will be some variation among characters.

2. Perhaps we can arrange that.

3. Rainbow Dash's Development has not begun yet. I'm considering between Sonic Rainboom and Atomic Rainboom.

4. Yessir!

5. Pinkie Pie's Development has not begun yet, but it is very likely.

6. Currently there are 10 planned, and hopefully even more than 10 when we finish.

7. We'll try our best to vary facial expressions.

8. For when they win, there will be a spoken line.

• Brohoof 1