Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Discord actually Starswirl the Bearded?

That Colt

78 users have voted

1. 1. Are Discord and Star Swirl the same person?

• Yes
    • No

celestia ... told twilight that her banishing her own sister was just a myth.

When did she say that?  I thought she said that Twily had to make friends (and perhaps spike added the dusty book comment)

Amy Keating Rogers said on her panel that Discord was conquering Equestria before Tirek and Scorpan came. So when Scorpan was befriending Starswirl, Discord was aready in stone and Tirek knew that day that he was imprisoned. Thus why he asked him "You are free?" in Twilights Kingdom. Starswirl theory at this point is totally destroyed.

Amy Keating Rogers said on her panel that Discord was conquering Equestria before Tirek and Scorpan came. So when Scorpan was befriending Starswirl, Discord was aready in stone and Tirek knew that day that he was imprisoned. Thus why he asked him "You are free?" in Twilights Kingdom. Starswirl theory at this point is totally destroyed.

Better not say that to fanfic writers. They'll cry if the find out their headcanon has been destroyed.

soz but I'm really not going to scan through an episodes transcript just to find a quote aint nobody got time for that

Cause it's not. I've seen the episode around 10 times and it is not in there

Cause it's not. I've seen the episode around 10 times and it is not in there

You are correct. However there is circumstantial evidence (supported by bad writing) that Celestia didn't let anyone know NMM was Luna so maybe that is where this is coming from.

Shrugs

You are correct. However there is circumstantial evidence (supported by bad writing) that Celestia didn't let anyone know NMM was Luna so maybe that is where this is coming from.

Shrugs

I don't know about that. Maybe Celestia wasn't the one who told the ponies, but ponies still knew in Luna Eclipsed.

I don't know about that. Maybe Celestia wasn't the one who told the ponies, but ponies still knew in Luna Eclipsed.

Everyone knew by season 2. Not what I meant. Twilight was shocked when Celestia said Luna was her sister in FIM pt 2.

Enter the Myth theory.

Everyone knew by season 2. Not what I meant. Twilight was shocked when Celestia said Luna was her sister in FIM pt 2.

Enter the Myth theory.

Yes, but that's not substantial evidence. Yeah sure you can make the argument that ponies just don't know, but hasn't the theory been destroyed since Twilights Kingdom? Starswirl was friends with Scorpan.

Yes, but that's not substantial evidence. Yeah sure you can make the argument that ponies just don't know, but hasn't the theory been destroyed since Twilights Kingdom? Starswirl was friends with Scorpan.

Let me use my flux capacitor ... setting it for about one hour in the past.

You are correct. However there is circumstantial evidence (supported by bad writing) that Celestia didn't let anyone know NMM was Luna so maybe that is where this is coming from. Shrugs

As you should have inferred, I do not subscribe to this theory. I don't mandate others so as well, or visa versa. However the theory does exist and was communicated via YouTube. It stood to reason the the poster your originally disagreed with had heard this theory, but I did again give an uncertain disclosure with the user of the world, 'maybe'.

Furthermore, I did specifically state that the evidence was circumstantial. We are talking about headcanon theories are we not? Isn't this the realm where Mother Fantasy and Father Wish Fulfillment rule the land and Logic and Preponderance of Evidence become the fool and the peasant to them?

Blame the Brony Analysts that propagated that Myth Theory to the unsuspecting masses.

But back to the topic at hand, Discord is Discord. Starswirl is Starswirl. Unique characters in in concept and in disposition. To combine them would have no net gain in story concepts, but eliminate a world of ideas from when we see him in the show proper.

Let me use my flux capacitor ... setting it for about one hour in the past.

As you should have inferred, I do not subscribe to this theory. I don't mandate others so as well, or visa versa. However the theory does exist and was communicated via YouTube. It stood to reason the the poster your originally disagreed with had heard this theory, but I did again give an uncertain disclosure with the user of the world, 'maybe'.

Furthermore, I did specifically state that the evidence was circumstantial. We are talking about headcanon theories are we not? Isn't this the realm where Mother Fantasy and Father Wish Fulfillment rule the land and Logic and Preponderance of Evidence become the fool and the peasant to them?

Blame the Brony Analysts that propagated that Myth Theory to the unsuspecting masses.

But back to the topic at hand, Discord is Discord. Starswirl is Starswirl. Unique characters in in concept and in disposition. To combine them would have no net gain in story concepts, but eliminate a world of ideas from when we see him in the show proper.

To be fair, I'm not really certain, either, though I lean towards negative.

It seems to me the royal sisters know of Starswirl from actually meeting him. But then, they speak with some contempt when they bring up Discord in conversation. I don't know, they seem to radiate the feeling that Discord and Starswirl is NOT one and the same.

It seems to me the royal sisters know of Starswirl from actually meeting him. But then, they speak with some contempt when they bring up Discord in conversation. I don't know, they seem to radiate the feeling that Discord and Starswirl is NOT one and the same.

I think if they knew he is Starswirl they would try to reform him earlier than after 1000 years. It seem that Celestia reformed Discord only becasue she knew that one day Elements may lose their magic or new Elements Bearers might not appear after mane6. So she wanted for Discord to behave on his own will. Beside AKR probably confirmed that Discord is not Starswirl since she said that Discord was stoned before Tirek and Scorpan came to Equestria in one of her panels. And Starswirl was already there befriending Scorpan (also Discords first friend is Fluttershy, not Scorpan)

• Brohoof 1

I think if they knew he is Starswirl they would try to reform him earlier than after 1000 years. It seem that Celestia reformed Discord only becasue she knew that one day Elements may lose their magic or new Elements Bearers might not appear after mane6. So she wanted for Discord to behave on his own will. Beside AKR probably confirmed that Discord is not Starswirl since she said that Discord was stoned before Tirek and Scorpan came to Equestria in one of her panels. And Starswirl was already there befriending Scorpan (also Discords first friend is Fluttershy, not Scorpan)

Really? I thought Meghan McCarthy said it. Oh well, still counts for the same thing.

• 1 month later...

Starswirl was actually around for Luna's banishment and a little after that point, and started the entire fiasco with cross dimensional mirrors. It had to have occurred after Discord's banishment, because the elements of harmony would've been broken at that point.

Of course, there's also the fact that Discord didn't had never met Tirek, and that he didn't know about Scorpan's pendant, which he probably would've remembered since Starswirl was the pony that spent all of his time with him. Tirek was banished while Starswirl was still alive,which means the pendant had to have been given to him around that time. Starswirl would've noticed.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Yes just yes Discord is Starswirl the Bearded! :love:  

Well I have no proof of this. It is just my favorite headcanon, that I really want to be true. 

My theory is that Starswirl was celestia student A long time ago, much like  twilight he was supposed to ascend into a alicorn, and help princess celestia  rule over Equestria. But the problem was that to be able to become an alicorn, a pony is supposed to have complete mastery and understanding of there talent. Starswirl the Bearded talent was magic and the most powerful magic in MLP is the magic of friendship, but Starswirl was never very good at making friends and didn't find friendship too important,  So he was never able to unlock his true abilities and become an alicorn.  

The spell in magical mystery cure was supposed to turn a pony into a alicorn but Starswirl could never figure it out and when he used it on himself it turned him into Discord. Celestia and Luna turned Discord into stone hoping that one day they can restore him, but they never could.  So that is why they asked twilight And friends to reform him. 

Plus the interactions between twilight and Discord becomes so much more fun and interesting when you think Discord use to be Starswirl. Especially now when Discord is trying to teach Twilight lessons and things.

So ya no proof i just think it would be cool.  :please: 

Edited by Two left hooves
  • Brohoof 1