Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Randomizer Suggestion & Seek Bar Feedback

zosho

Forgive me if I havent seen it or it has allready been discussed, but I think a great thing to have would be a shuffle option, that basically plays a random song/playlist of random songs (Maybe with the option to shuffle a specific genre?) because a big part of the site that I as a user would take advantage of is discovering new stuff and a sort of randomiser achives that well. Im not an expaert on that sort of thing xD

Also one very minor thing, again if this is intentional or what not forget it, but in the music playing screen I personally dont like that the music "Bar" (Showing the progresss of the song) is touching the albulm artwork and description. To me the progress bar is one of the most integral parts and i just think maybe it should stand out a bit more/more isolated *shrug*

Forgive me if I havent seen it or it has allready been discussed, but I think a great thing to have would be a shuffle option, that basically plays a random song/playlist of random songs (Maybe with the option to shuffle a specific genre?) because a big part of the site that I as a user would take advantage of is discovering new stuff and a sort of randomiser achives that well. Im not an expaert on that sort of thing xD

Actually it's not a bad idea. A shuffler could be good, something that send you to a random track.

The only snag is getting something you may not want to listen to or hear. When Pony.FM grows and there are more songs of varying genre's and styles you may find things you aren't so interested in.

A "simple" solution would be to make a filter that you can use to control the randomization, but then 1. That defeats the purpose of randomization. 2. It starts falling into a playlists sort of idea.

Anyways, it could still work, and would be a fun little thing to use. There's just certain user-friendly bits that may need to be worked in for maximum enjoyment.

Also one very minor thing, again if this is intentional or what not forget it, but in the music playing screen I personally dont like that athe music "Bar" (Showing the progresss of the song) is touching the albulm artwork and description. To me the progress bar is one of the most integral parts and i just think maybe it should stand out a bit more/more isolated *shrug*

Haha! So I wasn't the only one to notice that!

I found how close the seek bar and the track info were to each other a little irritating as well actually. It just bugged my OCD a bit seeing it that way. It might look nicer with a small space between the bar and info.

• 3 weeks later...
Also one very minor thing, again if this is intentional or what not forget it, but in the music playing screen I personally dont like that the music "Bar" (Showing the progresss of the song) is touching the albulm artwork and description. To me the progress bar is one of the most integral parts and i just think maybe it should stand out a bit more/more isolated *shrug*

Haha! So I wasn't the only one to notice that!

I found how close the seek bar and the track info were to each other a little irritating as well actually. It just bugged my OCD a bit seeing it that way. It might look nicer with a small space between the bar and info.

Silver, you should've spoken up sooner. :(

I've added a space between the player and the description. How does it look now?

A "random track" button is a great idea. I'll put it on my list of features to add to the site.

There are some technical challenges involved with programming it to not select deleted or unpublished tracks, however, so it is a more complex feature than it appears to be on first sight. I plan to have it at some point, but can't give any kind of timeline as to when it'll be in. But thanks for the suggestion!

Here we are, the random track feature! I've mapped a simple redirector to /tracks/random that redirects you to a random published track.

Random Track Link.png

I just have a slight problem... in all honesty, I'm not sure what the most appropriate place to put a "random track" button or link really is. I welcome suggestions, ideas, and opinions on this.

I just have a slight problem... in all honesty, I'm not sure what the most appropriate place to put a "random track" button or link really is. I welcome suggestions, ideas, and opinions on this.

how about a "discover" page?

PonyFM%20Discover%20Page.png

As you can see in my mock-up, it's a page that lets the user choose between viewing the "newest tracks" page, the "top tracks" page, and a "random!" page.

The random page could look like this (minus the fact that I was too lazy to rearrange the tracks from the above mock-up)

PonyFM%20Randomization%20Feature%201.1.p

this way, the user can load up a list of multiple tracks chosen at random via the randomizer, as well as having a direct play button built into the page for each track.

although, this is really a seperate feature that is only related because of the "random" idea.

... I think I'll open up a new topic for this and just copy this over.

Edited by Anorax
  • Brohoof 1