Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it possible to stream/play the tracks on pony.fm in wav, instead of mp3?

Arcium_Fox

Is it (/Will it be) possible to stream/play the tracks on pony.fm in wav, instead of mp3?
Im kinda not enjoying the fact that it's only possible to play the songs on the pony.fm cloud in mp3.
Is it possible that it can be changed to wav? or flac? or will it cause to much traffic?

Sorry for all of the many questions...shy_fluttershy_by_blowingbomb-d3hpp7a.pn

• Brohoof 1

Sorry for all of the many questions... 

Hey, what's there to be sorry about? This is part of what you signed up for as an alpha tester - an opportunity to ask questions about anything and everything to do with Pony.fm! Please don't feel shy about it; if there's anything on your mind about Pony.fm, whether it's a compliment, a complaint, or just a question, I want to hear it. :)

Is it (/Will it be) possible to stream/play the tracks on pony.fm in wav, instead of mp3?

Im kinda not enjoying the fact that it's only possible to play the songs on the pony.fm cloud in mp3.

Is it possible that it can be changed to wav? or flac? or will it cause to much traffic?

Technical restrictions make streaming anything other than MP3 or AAC unfeasible. While a computer browser may be able to handle a WAV stream, most devices cannot - and I don't think the library I'm using as Pony.fm's audio player supports WAV, either. As for FLAC... support for that is non-existent in every browser, to the best of my knowledge, so that rules it out for streams completely.

Server bandwidth is a non-issue, but the client-side bandwidth needs to be considered. WAV, as an uncompressed format, will consume a huge amount of it, and may not provide a particularly smooth playback experience for many people (especially those on non-PC devices). FLAC is a lot smaller than WAV, but still pretty huge. Couple it with the aforementioned browser support issues, and any lossless streaming format becomes a no-go.

The on-site streams are only intended to be a preview of a song in the first place; FLAC, OGG, and MP3 downloads are all available to listen to locally. If you don't mind my asking, why exactly do you want (or need?) WAV or FLAC streams on the Pony.fm website?

• Brohoof 1