Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronies and Homosexuality

Thewookie Wooker

Why do many fanfics and shippings revolve around homosexual relations between the Mane 6? Can they not just be friends?

I understand the reasoning of there being to few stallions to ship with the Mane 6 and that OCs are usually frowned upon. This reasoning allows me to get through stories to which relationships in them I disagree with personally. But then what is there to say about the few Gay ships out there?

No other fanbase I follow has anywhere near the same amount of homosexual shippings in comparison to heterosexual shippings.

Another matter all together I ask is why do Adult-Child sex stories exist? And people read them. Pedophilia is very much frowned upon by all walks of life, hell they are hated by prisoners, yet we still have them pop up from time to time. Why is that?

Honestly I'm just curious, seeing as being a Brony can also mean creating awesome music and art + more.

• Brohoof 1

I just... Don't know. It gives the rest of us a bad rap, don't you think? Why do they sum ALL of us up to cloppers and the sort? D: I personally do not clop... But I am not hating on cloppers, they do what they want to do. I really don't care.

Welcome to rule 34 step right this way and we will introduce you to hot lesbian pony action just past the tentacle rape and foalcon. In all seriousness though I think you answered your own question there are alot more fillies and mares than colts and stallions in the show so it kind of limits the possibilities for heterosexual ships. As for the adult/child stories that one is a bit more difficult to figure, I don't really understand the appeal as characters I have been attracted to in fandoms have either been close to my age or older than me.

• Brohoof 8

OC means Original Character. It's when you come up with your own pony character.

Well, I think it's mostly likely due to the fact that the show has like 96% mares and 4% stallions. Plus, all of the main characters are girls. That's my guess.

• Brohoof 1

Idk, maybe it has to do with the whole Rainbow dash being gay misunderstanding. Of course the other ones are probably just people joking around, or simply because the mane 6 are the most developed charactors, so it makes sense for them to be the focus of the shipping.

As for fanfics that include some.. strange things well. People create plenty of weird things. The thing is people also create awesome things! And I think the good outweights the bad for bronies.

So i guess the reason why most of the shipping's are homosexual is because the main characters are all female.(or in this case mares) So it doesn't lead to alot of options besides OC's and a few of the less popular supporting characters who are stallions(which are very few.)

It doesn't really bother me that much, I don't have anything wrong with homosexuality in the first place, plus I don't specifically go looking for shipping stuff anyways :P. Even when I see some though it doesn't bother me, i guess I just don't have a problem with it idk, and Some of its cute to :)

• Brohoof 1

its because they are so close to one another, the fanfic writer with the least imagination just find it easy to do and they know people will read it.

personalty i don't like shipping unless its OC x OC because only then is there any kind of a true love feel between them, how ever the was a Stallion on Stallion shipping that i rely enjoyed reading 

also most of the fanfic writers are male, most males are pigs....... also this isn't a clopping topic so leave it out before we have that become the main topic here instead.

Edited by PonyEcho

r34, known as Rule 34... ha ha .. I site ripped that not to long ago.lol

Also Rule 34 is strictly a subset of Yiff work, usually ment for the furrie Sub-Culture   

Edited by MadDoggyca

Well things between adults and children, those are screwed up. Realistically though some people will write them and the rest of us will have to do our best to avoid them.

As for same gender shippings they are fairly popular in every fandom, and given the high ratio of female characters to male ones in MLP it is inevitable that they would be prevalent here.

Usually I'm not a huge fan of shipping people of the same gender but I actually enjoy it very much in MLP. I don't see any kind of problem with it in particular.

• Brohoof 1

I really don't know, but I don't think this belongs in fanfics and stuff like that...this is why I don't read any fanfics and don't ever look at any fan art, because this took all my motivation and hope in finding what I was looking for.

However, I have no probs with bronies being gay, trans or whatever. That is, if they aren't total d*cks about it.

Actually I'd be happy to chat with bronies like that because I want to develop my own opinions about these people, seeing how the mainstream media is bullshit and I don't trust them on what they say.

Edited by Zacharias
  • Brohoof 1

Shippings? I never heard that term coined up before, also OC'S mean Over clocking. im so lost on that post only one thing comes to mind.

What?

Shipping basically involves either art or sometimes fanfiction of two ponies in a relationship or something of the sort(Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.)

OC in the brony community means Original creation. It normally refers to a pony created by a fan of the show which is most of the time from their own art or from the pony creator(which i think is somewhere on DA)

Hopefully this helps clear things up.

Also yes shipping can mean R34, but most of it isn't. Theres plenty of art of just innocent relationships between two ponies.

R34 exists for everything, so if thats a question as to why it exists.. Well it exists for everything so yeah..(literally everything)

Edited by Zygen

i guess there's a lot of shipping because... well, the mane six is an all-female cast. and the majority of FiM's cast is consisting of mares, and not stallions. hard to make straight shipping if there's not that much material to work with, isn't it?

as for why there's so much of the stuff out there... well duh, it's the internet. it's bound to pop up on there. why do people do it? because they're expanding on an own interpretation and headcanon they have of how the world and its characters tick, one which the show cannot build on because it wouldn't be allowed to do so, for reasons that should be obvious.

stories like that? i've seen a fair share of related art in the community, and i haven't really found anything like that here. besides, there's no saying whether the ponies are "adult" by human standards. they're fictional characters with a lifespan of their own, not exactly related to that of our world.

Edited by Viscra Maelstrom

Another matter all together I ask is why do Adult-Child sex stories exist? And people read them. Pedophilia is very much frowned upon by all walks of life, hell they are hated by prisoners, yet we still have them pop up from time to time. Why is that?

Well, since they're fictional characters, the author can characterize them as having the emotional maturity necessary to consent to sex, unlike most real children. The only logical argument against pedophilia is that children can't consent to sex, that's not an issue wtih fictional characters.

Of course people might argue that children having sex is wrong regardless of consent, not everyone is as rational as me when is come to morality... *Ahem* Of course people have perfectly rational and logical opinions that may conflict with mine and should be respected.

Wow, couldn't say that with a straight face...

It's because the show has a predominantly female cast, and all the male characters are either Spike, side characters, one-off characters, or background characters. When writing shipping fanfictions, it's general that people go with the main characters, as they're the ones with the most developed characterisation.

In addition, fandoms (and the Brony fandom is no different) tend to have little issue with female x female relationships, either because it is titilating to think about, or there's something about two females that doesn't seem all that big of a deal. Male x male relationship stories, however, get pretty strong opposition on the internet, as the stigma towards homosexuality is far stronger when it's two males than with two females. (which, incidentally, was a double standard that bronies were infamous for, which fortunately is getting better over time).

Tl;dr: female/female shipping stories are prevelant because there's few strongly-characterised males to choose from other than Spike, and lesbian relationships aren't as big an issue as they would be otherwise.

• Brohoof 1

Because people have way too much time on their hands and spend way too much of that time on the internet subsequently causing them to gradually lose their focus of reality and any standards they might have previously held on to

Um... Homosexual pairings are common in ALL fandoms. Besides, as has been said MLP happens to have a cast of mostly female characters, and when that happens, pairings between the same-sex are naturally more common.

I don't see why it's such a big deal to you. But then again, knowing you, I do.

I'd say as long as we stay away from the graphic art, if you know what I mean, it's all good. It's especially a thousand times better than the violence stuff, which I think is far too prominent in this fandom. At least homosexual pairings are love. Sure they're out of character as far as we know, but no where near the amount of out of character that the violent stuff is.

• Brohoof 2

Why do many fanfics and shippings revolve around homosexual relations between the Mane 6? Can they not just be friends?

I understand the reasoning of there being to few stallions to ship with the Mane 6 and that OCs are usually frowned upon. This reasoning allows me to get through stories to which relationships in them I disagree with personally. But then what is there to say about the few Gay ships out there?

No other fanbase I follow has anywhere near the same amount of homosexual shippings in comparison to heterosexual shippings.

Honestly I'm just curious, seeing as being a Brony can also mean creating awesome music and art + more.

Most of the homosexual shippings exist simply because most of the main characters are female.  This probably accounts for odd ratio of gay to straight ships.

There is, however, an interesting double standard in shippings.  F/F (Female/Female) shippings are generally accepted in the community, but M/M are shunned.

An article on the topic: http://www.autostraddle.com/my-little-pony-lesbianism-is-magic-138465/

As for pedophilia...well, that's a bit off topic, and no one really seems to want to talk about them.

Edited by Starswirl the Goateed

meh, I'd say its because a) most of the characters are mares b )the only stallions on the show are background characters with few exceptions; Big Macintosh, Sombra who is underdeveloped and also a villain, and one-off characters like flim, flam, snips, and snails, limiting options severely c) there's the misinterpretation of rainbow dash being gay, also it might just be me but pinkie seems to be lot more affectionate towards rainbow but idk might just be me :).

as for me i don't know but a mare on stallion relationship just seems... out of place

Edited by LoKé kRude

^ akward. I can hand just about any subject until kids are bought in. no no no no just wrong on all lvls.  Something like that and this is were I slowly walk away.lol

Hey, don't blame me, Thewookie Wooker is the one who brought it up, I just said that whether or not someone can give informed consent is the only relevant factor here.

Hell, I can't stand rape in fiction regardless of the victim's age. But if I'm going to be against something it's gonna be because it hurts people, not because if "feels wrong" or offends people, that would be a stupid way to approch morality.

Here's something to add a little perspective.  Another one of Hasbro's big money franchises is virtually all male, and their fandom is full of homosexual shipping as well.  Yes, I am talking about Transformers which are inorganic and not even capable of sex as we know it.  ;)   But that that doesn't stop fans from having lots of shipping and R34 fun, which includes drawing them with mechanical genitals. 

Here's something to add a little perspective.  Another one of Hasbro's big money franchises is virtually all male, and their fandom is full of homosexual shipping as well.  Yes, I am talking about Transformers which are inorganic and not even capable of sex as we know it.  ;)   But that that doesn't stop fans from having lots of shipping and R34 fun, which includes drawing them with mechanical genitals. 

Next time I am in a rule 34 mood I have got to google that, I am picturing in my head and I am already dying of laughter. I wonder if anyone is actually turned on by that, I don't get it but hey whatever floats your boat and dosen't sink mine.

No explanation other then the lack of real heterosexual relationships available. But TBH, I dislike 99% of all shipping any fan of any fandom has done and I will never understand the joy people see, to gain from shipping