Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I hand-pixelled a new avatar for myself

Pix3M

vs.png

^Here it is in case you're dealing with silly cache issues.

I feel this piece will cause quite a bit of controversy because it's hand-pixelled, therefore it's pixel art. Yet, this looks like a vector :D

• Brohoof 15

It actually looks pretty nice. It's not very clear (probably because you hand-pixelled it), but it's still enjoyable and looks great overall!

It actually looks pretty nice. It's not very clear (probably because you hand-pixelled it), but it's still enjoyable and looks great overall!

Not very clear? That's like saying my drawing has bad anatomy because I traced from a photo. Hand-pixelled or hand-optimized vectors will always look sharper than raw vectors.

Not very clear? That's like saying my drawing has bad anatomy because I traced from a photo. Hand-pixelled or hand-optimized vectors will always look sharper than raw vectors.

This looks far less clear than a raw vector, if we're being honest. I don't mean to offend you, it's very nice, but in my experience, my vectors have always been clearer than this. The pixels in this are far more prominent than those in what I've vectored, and really what I've seen in any vector. 

Magnifique Darling! :D

just loving the colors and texture,

layout is fantastic, and her expression is priceless

Thanks fr this beautiful wrk of art x3

img-1011882-1-vs.png

^Here it is in case you're dealing with silly cache issues.

I feel this piece will cause quite a bit of controversy because it's hand-pixelled, therefore it's pixel art. Yet, this looks like a vector :D

This looks far less clear than a raw vector, if we're being honest. I don't mean to offend you, it's very nice, but in my experience, my vectors have always been clearer than this. The pixels in this are far more prominent than those in what I've vectored, and really what I've seen in any vector. 

cc.png

Here's my point of view. Here, we have two edges. The left edge is perfectly clear. If you zoom in, you see two clear bodies of color.

If you zoom in on to the right edge, it is significantly blurrier. If you zoom in to that edge, you see two clear bodies of color, but there is a gray line running down between these bodies of color. What this gray line is effectively doing is drawing an edge that is not perfectly aligned to a pixel grid.

cc.gif

By adding and removing this gray line, I'm basically moving the edge a distance of less than a pixel.

As far as I know, vectors will not change their proportions to better align to a pixel grid. A pixel artist will always consider the very pixel grid used to display pictures. If a vector is adding extra buffer pixels, it's because their proportions aren't perfectly aligned to the grid.

If we're still disagreeing, I'll give you permission to do a vector trace of my work. I've already posted a comment in the MLP-vector club on dA asking if I can have a vector trace of this work for the sake of comparison.

Edited by Pix3M

Looks awesome! :) 

Rarity is one of my favorites, so that makes it 20% cooler! But seriously, well done! Did this take a long time to do? Looks like it did. But it makes a cool avatar! Love Rarity's pose as well. 

Keep on working! I'm sure you'll be able to create more wonderful pieces of art with this! ;)

It doesn't look like a vector to me, it looks like it was drawn on paint.

It's pretty good and not to many flaws with it, and overall I like it.

I've made a few changes since I posted this and it looks super-vector smooth to me... but it seems that I'm having issues with gamma on my monitor so on other monitors, the lines will look rough... and I'm not talking about the eyelash area which I will admit was very lazy with.

That is beautiful. I was expecting something 8-bit, as well. This was a pleasant surprise. :) I'm wondering too, how long did this take? And what program did you use?

I didn't keep track, so maybe two hours? But, I spent plenty more hours for super-perfectionism only to realize the reason why this might not look smooth to some is because people seem to have different monitors that display colors differently.

That's because you're vectoring stuff that's big, and therefore has more pixels and looks better when reduced to the size of an avatar. He hand pixeled this for the avatar size, 150 by 150 I believe. Therefore it would look more jagged naturally. He actually did a great job for the size he had to work with.

That's because you're vectoring stuff that's big, and therefore has more pixels and looks better when reduced to the size of an avatar. He hand pixeled this for the avatar size, 150 by 150 I believe. Therefore it would look more jagged naturally. He actually did a great job for the size he had to work with.

First, it never needs to look jagged. Here's a pixel art avatar I've found from one of the more elitist pixel art forums:

post-4376-0-10305300-1356234589.png

I can find no jags, but neither can I find any on my own avatar. I think the one big thing keeping my avatar (not the outdated version on the first post) is that I don't know how to make sure my work is smooth on ALL monitors. Different monitors for some reason do weird stuff with my buffering colors and expose my pixels more than I want them to. At this point, I will need somebody to literally redline where the jagged pixels are.

Pretty good. Maybe make the iris color more darker. Not to mention add the highlights to her iris? I don't know. I thought that woul just help...

Great... I sound like Fluttershy criticizing...