Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Metal" Genre Option?

Wolfy

Heyo, just a quick suggestion I thought I'd ask about, but when uploading a song, I noticed that there wasn't really a "Metal" genre option in the genre selection. I understand it could technically be fitted under "Rock," but I feel that metal is a pretty large genre on it's own to umbrella it's own type of music. It'd help separate away from standard rock tracks as well when people searching for metal and/or rock as well.

If not, I understand, but just an idea! Thanks

• Brohoof 3

Yeah there's probably a few genres that could benefit from having their own selection, but I also understand wanting to keep the genre lists as simplified as possible. I guess it's all about the balance, since too many genre types and some songs will probably never get found due to obscurity, while if it's too simplified, then things get lost under the umbrella term.

• Brohoof 1

Heyo, just a quick suggestion I thought I'd ask about, but when uploading a song, I noticed that there wasn't really a "Metal" genre option in the genre selection. I understand it could technically be fitted under "Rock," but I feel that metal is a pretty large genre on it's own to umbrella it's own type of music. It'd help separate away from standard rock tracks as well when people searching for metal and/or rock as well.

If not, I understand, but just an idea! Thanks

I'd agree with you that metal seems to have enough of a following of its own to justify being recognized as a separate genre. I've added it to Pony.fm, so please feel free to retag any of your uploads so far as metal. :)

I agree with this. I also think Drum and Bass should too.

Is "Drum and Bass" that widespread as a genre of its own? I don't consider myself to be a pop culture nut, but CloudFyre bringing his SoundCloud profile up in the last week or two was the first time I've ever heard the name.

As Wolfy pointed out, a balance needs to be struck with the available genres:

Yeah there's probably a few genres that could benefit from having their own selection, but I also understand wanting to keep the genre lists as simplified as possible. I guess it's all about the balance, since too many genre types and some songs will probably never get found due to obscurity, while if it's too simplified, then things get lost under the umbrella term.

I took the initial list from iTunes. The list encompasses most of the big "umbrella" terms but isn't particularly specific about any of them, so I fully expected (and am completely open) to requests for more specific genre options. :)

• Brohoof 2