Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think being *smart* is something you are born with? or obtain?

Zygen

Just now, Lord Valtasar said:

the point still stands, you have to learn the things, you don't know them when you're born, and i believe no matter what definition of smart one uses, babies aren't it, best they can do is "smart for their age"

If the definition of "smart" is "can learn fast" then babies can be smart. If the definition of "smart" depends on how much you already know, then no, babies are not "smart".

If we take the the definition that depends on knowledge, then each person has different "potential to become smart".

It depends on whether you're talking about knowledge or wisdom, both of which are components of what is colloquially referred to as intelligence.  While I don't believe one is born with either, per se, I think a genetic predisposition towards certain traits can in turn influence the likelihood of becoming wise later in life.  Knowledge, on the other hand, is unequivocally something obtained.  One's prism of experience is a fount of knowledge, to be sure, as is knowledge gained through other means such as education or a bit of light reading.  But, certain people are more predisposed than others to taking all of that knowledge and using it to form informed opinions, as well as learning how to react to certain situations and circumstances to avoid adverse consequences and maximize positive ones.  I don't believe that is something that can simply be taught.  

You are born capable of being smart, then you can become smart if you want to.

You can also try to become smart, but keep failing, like me. That doesn't stop me from trying.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but the evidence points towards intelligence being mostly genetic.  Just about any trait we could conceivably care about is mostly genetic.  The rest is what you do with it.  Studying and learning things fills your brain with knowledge, but that's different from intelligence.  One can be brilliant but ignorant, obviously.  Intelligence is your capacity to think, reason, learn, problem solve, and understand, and that's just something you're born with, and it doesn't really change.  Don't get me wrong--environment and learning play a big part in utilizing intelligence, but evidence points towards the fact that you can't really change the base potential.

And then there's wisdom, which people often confuse with intelligence, but they're entirely different.  Wisdom is the ability to use one's intelligence to make good decisions.  One of the best definitions of wisdom I've heard is it's the ability to navigate life is such a way as to minimize needless suffering.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Being able to learn something quicker than others is a gift

But general knowledge and skill involve a lot of learning and experiencing....

At least that's my take on it

Edited by Kevin Tang

Anyone can become smart. Those with less aptitude can do it as well as anyone else. It may take more time and effort but anyone can learn. Retaining what’s learned is a matter of practice, as is the art of simply thinking and finding the answers by mere contemplation rather than just cramming from books. If someone is interested in learning, there’s nothing to prevent it happening. But there’s also a big difference between knowledge and wisdom. Anyone can memorize facts, but wisdom comes from logic, introspection, an open mind and the desire to seek the truth. 

• Brohoof 1