Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Batch downloads.

Arkane

Will there be a batch download option on the Final release?

Its kind of important to have one especially for those artists who produces albums. Instead of downloading each song one by one, why not download all of them at once?

What kinds of batches are we talking about here?

• all the tracks comprising an album?
  • all the tracks in a playlist?
  • all the tracks an artist has uploaded?
  • something else?

Albums will definitely have a batch download option, that's for sure. :)

I'm not so sure about playlists or artists, however. The argument could be made that a playlist is like a compilation album, but a playlist isn't really a "release" in the same way as an album. On the other hand, the ability to put a playlist of your favourite songs together and tell people where to download it - completely legally and everything - could prove to be a big winner in the social space.

Albums will definitely have a batch download option, that's for sure. :)

That's answered my question. lol.

--

How about anypony else? Do you guys think The things feld0 mentioned be implemented?

When we're talking about making playlists, does this mean like a user can start adding songs from any artist's profile and start making a playlist out of them? 'Cause if so, a download for that would be pretty cool, since it'd almost basically work as a "add to shopping cart" type deal (but of course without the money aspect haha). Not sure if that's what everyone is meaning by making playlists though.

As for the "everything by artist" that'd be pretty handy. I can't really recall a time where I wanted to do that personally, but I'm betting there's a few people out there that see whatever artist and go "Homg, I need everything they've ever touched!" XD.

When we're talking about making playlists, does this mean like a user can start adding songs from any artist's profile and start making a playlist out of them? 'Cause if so, a download for that would be pretty cool, since it'd almost basically work as a "add to shopping cart" type deal (but of course without the money aspect haha). Not sure if that's what everyone is meaning by making playlists though.

Yeah, the idea of a playlist is that you can add any song on Pony.fm to your list, and the list will then be shown on your profile. The concept is not unlike YouTube's playlists. I haven't talked very much about the playlist feature yet, though, because it hasn't been my main focus of development at this stage.

A "shopping cart" is one way to think of it.  ^_^ With the difference that your list of songs doesn't disappear after you've downloaded it; you can share the list (and its download) with anyone you want. So, for example, you could create a "Wolfy's Top Twenty Brony Songs" playlist and "distribute" it by merely sharing the link to the playlist on Pony.fm. Making the contents of a playlist downloadable in a single zip file seems to me like it could be a killer feature, which is why I brought it up. I'd just hate to see the feature abused, so setting a limit on the number of songs one can have in a playlist would probably be a reasonable thing to do.

• Brohoof 1