Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Search by Pony?

Wolfy

Not sure if this has been exactly suggested before (some gut feeling feels like it has, so if so, my apologizes), but could it be possible to have a tagging option in the edit stage after uploading to tag a song to a character from the show?

Seems like TONS of people make songs based after or around certain characters, whether it be a remix of a character's song from the show, an original around the idea of a character etc. It'd be really rad if I could search or click "Rainbow Dash" off the main page or something, and have all the songs on the site that are related to her right there in front of me.

The issues I could see with this is people just possibly tagging everything they ever wrote to their favorite character or something. I mean it'd probably be best to make it an "optional" setting, so you don't have to choose a character for a song. So all in all, it's basically the same as searching by genre...but searching by character?

Truth be told, "pony tags" were a feature I was considering much like the "song tags" - a standardized many-to-many taxonomy for identifying such songs, because I've seen more than my fair share of "[X] pony's theme song" out there (nothing wrong with it, but there is definitely a whole lot of it, as you've seen, @Wolfy, so it would justify some attention to organize this content properly on Pony.fm).

Unlike official songs, however, which are easy to compile a list of (and said list is a manageable size), there are zillions of ponies that may potentially be considered "tag material". Keeping up with all of them, and their fandom names, will be a full-time job in itself. So, I think the best approach to that is to use a community-controlled "open" tagging system (just like YouTube's, deviantART's, Bandcamp's - heck, even MLP Forums's).

Such a tagging system, due to its versatility, would likely be implemented only once, in the form of an "any 10 words relevant to your song" system. This would serve to both keep the code more straightforward, and to keep the site's user interface simple. Keep in mind that Pony.fm is designed to reach out to a much, much wider target audience than MLP Forums, so it needs to be intuitive and simple to get around for non-technically-savvy people.

Each new taxonomy will need to visibly fit into track pages somehow, increasing the potential for clutter - and ultimately being overlooked completely - for the tradeoff of organizing the content more precisely.

I plan to implement such a tagging system at some point, but it's a low-priority task at the moment. I will need to investigate what's involved in actually programming such a system in the backend in a performant and reliable manner.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...