NavelColt

50 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I liked this episode because I can somewhat relate to Applejack because I have a large extended family and it's so much fun to see all my cousins but unlike the episode my family just talks then eats and leaves, we're not a very active crowd.   

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This became an very meaningful moment in AJ's struggles to help create memories with her family because not everypony would be there for the next one. Bittersweet meaning by trying to find the most in the short time with each other and sharing those times whether good or bad. It's not about the apple fritters, the games or the reestablishment of the barn but it's the time they remembered by with each other that truly is priceless.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's not for me; I hate family reunions, and all of the events here like things I would find profoundly unenjoyable were I in this situation. Applejack's anxiety is admirable in the broadest sense, but I don't care very much about how her reunion turns out, even with the Apple Bloom/Babs stuff. It's slow-paced and languid, and most of the tension comes from Applejack doing things which are, more often than not, so obviously misguided as to reflect badly on her. But the pacing is also so languid that this never actually builds much tension, and instead we have something which keeps interrupting uneventful scenes of bonding with blandly-executed plot beats, all in favour of largely intangible stakes. A good story can make me empathize with its characters' values, whereas this doesn't really tell me why Applejack cares so much about the reunion. The song at the end is nice, but I have no idea how it's possible to care. To the extent that this even has jokes, they're either extremely mild or just not very good. Even the moral, while essentially agreeable, is one of the blandest platitudes this show has ever spat out. It's good for the target audience, I guess, but it's kinda underwhelming from the same show as genuinely great stories like "Wonderbolts Academy." 

Score:

Entertainment: 4/10

Characters: 4/10

Themes: 6/10

Story: 5/10

Overall: 48/100

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

I felt a bit bad for Applejack. I get what she was doing, though she took it too far. 

Where are the Oranges? Since everyone said they were coming, I guess they weren’t invited. Not appley enough? :please:

It’s fun how most of the Apples/Smiths/Seeds/etc. are apple colors (for cartoons anyway). Shades of red, orange, yellow, and green. I noticed at one blue pony, and I think a white one. I guess they married into the family. :laugh:

This is a very simple episode, but I think it works here. It's one of the more charming episodes of the season and while there aren't any laugh out loud jokes, a lot of them are amusing. This definitely isn't a great episode, but it is a nice episode.

Score: 7/10

• 2 months later...

Not horrible, but still not an episode for me. I wanted to see the family actually relax and have a good time, but the show only showed them rebuilding the barn and afterwards they just all went back home... How is construction a 'relaxing' thing? And if it was, I think it would've been nice to show them actually talk during the construction. Even the music was fast-paced and exciting, making rebuilding the farm feel not relaxing at all.

• 2 months later...
  • The topic was pinned
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely loved this one. Applejack spent too much time on the activities rather than the family. I enjoyed seeing the other characters of the family. It is great they put in a new barn though, maybe they could make a tradition out of that, rebuild or build a new barn every family re-union.

The part that I found quite sad was the 2 meteors, Applejack's parents. I wish they were in the photos and we could have had some interesting scenes but I loved this episode.

• Brohoof 1

I thought Apple Family Reunion was a okay episode. Nothing too special. It's nice to see the Apple family coming together and having a nice little reunion.

My favorite part of this entire episode was the Baby Applejack scene. That scene was just so freaking precious it almost killed me(figurately speaking).

Also, let's not forget the important scene at the end of this episode was the two shooting stars. I remember a lot of fans had been speculating for years about the two shooting stars represent Applejack's parents. Lauren Faust and the MLP staff said that Applejack's parents are dead. However, we never to get see how they actually look like. It took until Season 7 in 2017 with an episode called 'The Perfect Pear' to reveal Applejack's official parents: Bright Mac and Pear Butter.

I gotta say, this is really great foreshadowing and it help expand upon the lore of the Apple family that we never got to see.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Seeing the entire Apple family all together was wonderful.

I really liked Applejack's role in the overall story. Sometimes the pressure of responsibility can blind you and I felt that Applejack's need to make everything perfect represented that quite well. Also, "Raise This Barn" is an awesome song, but you probably knew that already. :p

Enjoyable episode overall. I have no complaints. :)

• 1 month later...

It was a wonderful episode in my opinion - with a nice ode to Applejack's parents. I like that we saw some of the history of the Apple Family and Applejack's role was something that was somewhat relatable - having to take responsibility for something with so much pressure on you to do it. Great song, too. 

• 4 weeks later...

I really, really like "Raise this Barn". This song has been stuck in my head ever since it came out. It probably the best thing about this episode. Applejack is acting really strange about this whole reunion thing. It's not the Grand Galloping Gala, you know how your family is. Just plan some fun activities, sit back, relax, and enjoy being with the ones you love. It's not that hard. But noooo, you have to go all crazy and force everyone to play your little games and do your little activities, and force them into labor to finish that goshdarn quilt. Come on AJ, you're better than this.

5.5+1/10, the song saves the episode from a failing grade, but barely.