NavelColt

50 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Maybe I was expecting too much? But I felt the episode was way too rushed and didn't have enough Applejack.

AJ fan mentality: The feeling that there's never enough Applejack and that her spotlight is always taken, even when she got plenty of screen time throughout the episode.

I only say this because I feel the opposite. She was pretty much in most scenes of the episode that weren't flashbacks. I don't at all agree with the idea that she wasn't in it enough.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 7

Well, I think this was a very victorious return of Applejack's spotlight. Let's go over why, shall we?

Firstly, the song. It had to happen, yet at the very last minute, it was very satisfying, for me and this whole community (well, most at least). One of the best songs in season three, right behind Babs Seed. I see tons of remixes in the future.

Another thing I like was the huge amount of additional character development for the Apple family, the biggest and most known group of blood relatives in the show; it just keeps on growing. Nice to see comebacks such as Braeburn and Babs (though I sorta wish the former pony had a speaking role in this episode). I'm starting to really, really like Babs now, I wouldn't be surprised if she crept up and became one of my favorite characters soon. Foal AJ had me in heart attacks in that flashback.

Overall, very entertaining episode. Nothing to complain about here. The lesson was good, and we finally got another letter to the princess after such a long hiatus. It might be the middle of the season, but I see nothing but good from here on!

10/10, very good return for AJ, and the song was the icing on the cake.

Additionally, the Wilhelm Scream yet again was very nice, I'm ecstatic that they're going to use it recurringly from now on.

• Brohoof 6

Applejack: Hey Big Mac did you like this episode?

Big Mac: Eeeeeeyup

Applejack: What about the song?

Big Mac: Eeeeeeyup

This episode is a classic case of sometimes the best things in life are just the simple things that you often take for granted. My father passed away last March and what I miss most is just that the simple things we did together hanging out in our old family restaurant cooking and eating a nice meal with him, going to one of our favorite restaurants, watching the Simpsons. It took learning the hard way for Applejack to learn this but it looks like she did.

• Brohoof 2

And I'm going to pretend the two shooting stars at the end were AJ's parents, even if that was totally unintentional. 

Actually...

As for other things, I'd say it's an average episode. Nothing truly makes it special, aside from the song, the sheer amount of BG characters the fandom can name, or the symbolism of the shooting stars, (darn Baloney Brony, you're deep)... 

img-1018623-1-49rMt.pngIt's a cute 

If you have no clue who he is, he works on the show. If you still don't get it, it's now confirmed. AJ's parents are the shooting stars in the final scene. 

It seems that was totally intentional. RIP, Applejack's parents.

On a brighter note, I fully support Racist Barn becoming a meme. I didn't notice it while I was watching the episode, but it's still funny.

• Brohoof 4

I thought that this was a fantastic episode, not quite as good as the previous two (Not that I'm biased or anything ;) ) But it was nice to get some character development from Applejack. I agree with the other people who have said that it was nice to see her screw something up for once, as that is primarily how you grow as a character in this show. To a large extent Applejack has grown less because she lacks a lot of the deep-rooted flaws in the rest of the six.

In any case it was nice to get some insight into their family history and how they bond. I was hoping for some info on their parents but I didn't really expect them to talk about them any more than they did Scootaloo's. We got to see Babs again, and she's growing on me as a character. I liked the idea of the quilt as a long-standing project and it was fun to see all the different crazy activities our favorite honest pony set up.

I actually enjoyed the song quite a bit, the fiddling brought a nice touch to it making it stand out from the rest of the music just as 'Babs Seed's' more poppy feel distinguished it.

I like the idea that I think Starswirl mentioned about the shooting stars being the Apple parents, I'd still like some clarity on that issue, but it pleases me that they might have found a way to sneak them in somehow.

Overall it was great and Applejack has moved up in my favorite pony list.

• Brohoof 3

AJ fan mentality: The feeling that there's never enough Applejack and that her spotlight is always taken, even when she got plenty of screen time throughout the episode.

I only say this because I feel the opposite. She was pretty much in most scenes of the episode that weren't flashbacks. I don't at all agree with the idea that she wasn't in it enough.

This is true, but I did say I was expecting too much. Not even sure what I was expecting actually. But it's true it did show her work ethic and family devotion and stuff. Loved the letter to Celestia. 

Also thanks, Emerald Flame, that's awesome... I thought someone had just mentioned we'd seen the shooting stars before. 

And Blindshot Predator... I'm dumb, what's wrong with Babs there?

Edited by Rooish

What? An episode leaked again? Bad Apple! :angry:

Anyway, I decided to just watch it normally, and this was a really good episode! I honestly can't see any fault with this one- we got some backstory on the Apple family(still no AJ's parents, but what can you do), more Babs, some pretty funny new characters, and, even though they make you wait the whole episode for it, an Applejack song, Raise This Barn! And it was awesome, a real good tune for sure, definitely one of my favorites now. Plus we got a letter to Celestia, which means I guess someone remembered she might be getting lonely! Good on Applejack finally learning a lesson for once. I also found the episode very relatable- I certainly think of my family as my friends, and I think we've all tried too hard to make memories in one way or another. So yep, this episode was incredible, you should go watch it NOW if you haven't seen it yet! :D

(also, Rarity appeared for 2 seconds, yay)

• Brohoof 2

The song was probably the best part of the episode in my opinion, and by far the most memorable part. It's one of the few songs in the show which I'd think I would prefer without the lyrics, mostly because the instrumental work was amazing.

As for other things, I'd say it's an average episode. Nothing truly makes it special, aside from the song, the sheer amount of BG characters the fandom can name, or the symbolism of the shooting stars, (darn Baloney Brony, you're deep)... 

If you have no clue who he is, he works on the show. If you still don't get it, it's now confirmed. AJ's parents are the shooting stars in the final scene. 

AJ's parents = stars?  :o

If Applejack's parents truly are stars, then these could mean one (or more) of the following:

• Everypony did attend (undoubtedly.)
  • They're dead, and they're watching over their family (not sure how they'll deal with this if that's true, though.)
  • One or both of them are unicorns, and are using their magic to create stars which watch over their family while they're away (currently my headcanon.)
  • They became Alicorns who were sent by the Princess(es, if for some reason, the timeline's complex) to the sky and become stars to protect Equestria from the Darkness. (far-fetched, but still.)
  • They aren't actually ponies, but they're deities of the highest order, higher than Celestia and Luna, and they chose to create the Apple family, who are secretly half-whatever they are, to guard Equestria ( :huh:  far-fetched, maybe a bit too much.)

Oh look at me, making fanfiction. 

• Brohoof 4

Oh, and yeah, as for the shooting star/dead parents thing, that's certainly interesting. It's nice to see that Hasbro and the HUB are once again maturing from past pony generations by not being afraid to give possible hints to not-so-happy things. Dead ponies in G2 or 3? Never would have happened. After all, Scootaloo best explains this point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-iiHDrNIWw

One more Mane Six's parents have a slight bit of canon material, albeit it's just a hint, only given validity from a Tweet or two via a person who works on the show. But hey, it's still more than what we have on Dash or Fluttershy's parents :P

• Brohoof 4

Careful Party Cannon you're gonna get your ass handed to you. 

Bananashy I think you're overthinking it. They are dead. A little gift to the bronies (and probably the kids) who wanted to know where AJ's parents were. 

I wasn't looking forward to this episode, season 3 has been terrible in my opinion, I've disliked every single episode, that is until I saw this one. I LOVED this episode, everything about it was great for me. There is hope for season 3 yet. It's good to see Princess Celestia will start getting letters again too. The only downside to the episode was the lack of Fluttershy, but since it was about the Apple family and they wanted to have as much time for them as possible, I guess I can let that slide.

My general problem with Applejack is that she always never does anything interesting to keep the spotlight on her. Everyone always upstages her.

It's also why she is considered a background pony. Because she is as interesting as a pony in the background. Even when it's usually her episodes. 

This episode was actually kind of  her being interesting. She's getting there. However, she is still a background pony. 

• Brohoof 1

Racist Barns, Filly AJ and Babs gave this episode a solid footing. Though it wasn't the best of the season, it was a quality episode to say the least. The comets as AJ's parents may make sense seeing as it would explain why they showed up both in the beginning and end. Babs is hilarious with her New Yorker slang in tandem with AB's southern twang.

Babs is a member of the apple part of the family; where we're the oranges? Maybe Mr.Orange married Ms. Apple (Insert dish here) and she came but not her husband.

Another good episode, yay! There were alot of funny and cute scenes in it and I loved that Babs Seed came back :)

The song was really good too and I laughed since it sounded like they sang "Racist Barn, Racist Barn" haha :lol:

img-1018618-1-VrNhu.png

Well of course the barn was racist, the Apples are all earth ponies! ^_^
The song was probably the best part of the episode in my opinion, and by far the most memorable part. It's one of the few songs in the show which I'd think I would prefer without the lyrics, mostly because the instrumental work was amazing.

Wow, I didn't even think of that, very nice. :(
  • Brohoof 2

Sweet applesauce, this was, undoubtedly, the best Applejack episode ever!!!  Lot of things to cover for this one, so let's begin, shall we?

First of all, this episode was wonderfully executed and paced, and that is no small feat considering this episode was covering a family reunion of all things!!!  But did this episode just have the family reunion?  Heck no, we had back story on the reunion, preparation for the reunion, and the reunion itself of all things, and yet at no point did the episode actually feel rushed!  That is incredibly impressive, and I cannot laud praise on Studio B enough for how masterful they are at pacing the episodes at this point.

Second, continuing what Chaotic Discord said, this was the best Applejack episode ever for one very particular reason; it was the best lesson she's ever had to learn, really, largely because this was probably the biggest mistake she's ever made.  Yes, she's made mistakes in the past, but they've usually never affected anypony else (except for those worm-muffins she baked with Pinkie in "Apple Bucking Season"), and usually only affect her instead.  This time, however, her entire family, I mean, her ENTIRE family, was suffering all because AJ was overdoing it.  It just goes to show that over-planning and organizing certain events and affairs, especially those that are meant to be simply fun get-togethers between friends or family, can actually do more harm than good, and AJ learned a great lesson about enjoying the simple and little things, especially with your family, that is a great lesson for anypony, and in some ways, a more pressing issue for older viewers, especially those of us who like to organize things meticulously and run events smoothly.  So, gotta completely agree with ya on this one Chaotic, that was the biggest mistake AJ's ever made, and we all benefited because of it, getting the best AJ episode ever with the best lesson she's ever learned!

Third, the Apples... there were a lot of them!!!  It was awesome getting to see AJ's whole family again, including return appearances by Braeburn and Babs, which is just a nice bit of continuity right there.  We even got to hear more about Babs's attempts to open a CMC branch in Manehattan, if ever so briefly.  But perhaps my favorite part about all of the Apples was that they weren't all depicted as simply country folk or Western folk.  There were some with distinctly cheeseheaded Wisconsin accents (a personal favorite of mine considering most of my mom's family is from Wisconsin), some with city-folk Manehattan accents, Bab's Brooklyn accent (she even said fughed about it, I lol'd so hard!!!  :lol: ).  The episode made it clear that the Apples are really from all over Equestria, and really, you get a wide variety of ponies when they're from all over the place, with all sorts of different accents and mannerisms.  But despite their differences, they're still family, and love one another dearly; perhaps my favorite part about their family bonding is that the episode showed that usually what happens with big families is that there are some you are closer to than others, such as Granny Smith and Apple Rose, or Apple Bloom and Babs, and it was wonderful to see both old relationships reaffirmed and new ones getting built within the Apple family.  What else can I say about the Apples except that they're undeniably AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Four, the song.  Well, ya'll knew this one was coming.  We've been begging Studio B to give AJ an actual song of her own for the longest time, and once again, Daniel Ingram did not disappoint in the slightest!  Ya know what's probably the most amazing part about this particular number?  HE DID COUNTRY RIGHT!!!  That is no small feat friends; country, especially in a children's show, can easily sound really cheesy, but this song was both delightful and felt very in character for AJ and suitable for her first solo song of the show.  I for one loved it; hard to say, with how many good songs we've had this season, if it's my favorite so far, but one thing's for sure, this is the biggest number we've had probably since "Smile, Smile, Smile" last season; with all of the Apples singing at the end, it was one big song alright!  AJ finally has her own song, and Mr. Ingram, hats off to you, you did it again; that song was SWEET!!!!!!!

Five, the animation.  I always praise the animation, but this week my praise is a little different, and has to do entirely with (1) location, and (2) the characters.  First, I love Sweet Apple Acres, and I love seeing Sweet Apple Acres, and boy howdy, there was A LOT of Sweet Apple Acres in this episode!!!  It's such a quaint locale within Ponyville, but you also always get the sense that it's really, really big, that there's something still that you haven't seen of it yet.  I don't know about ya'll, but I for one was very glad to see the episode focused largely on Sweet Apple Acres itself visually, because it's one of my favorite locales in the whole show, and one that I don't think we always get to see enough of.  Second, concerning the characters, the variety and yet consistency of the Apple family was really visually impressive.  While they all looked unique in their own way, you could, at the same time, tell that they were all supposed to be family, and that's certainly not easy to pull off in a world of technicolored ponies (I for one especially loved it when Apple Octavia showed up, in a word, that was AWESOME  B) ).  All in all, it was very fun getting to see all of the different Apples once again, especially some of the new stallion designs they came up with, because I distinctly remember not seeing that many stallions the first time we saw the Apple family in Season 1, Episode 1.  Kudos to the animation team at Studio B.

Six, AJ and AB were bucking cute!!!  OK, maybe Apple Bloom being cute isn't so surprising, she always is, with her energetic personality, quirky sense of humor, and just overall cute mannerisms.  But Applejack?!?!  HOLY CRAP, I couldn't count how many times she did something adorable.  Her pose in the family picture was adorable, she had quite a few cute moments when she was preparing for the reunion with her friends' help, and of course, she was very cute with her family once the reunion got going on the right track.  But the moment that stole the show (and you all what I'm talking about) was... foal AJ.  Sweet Celestia, I thought she was cute as a filly in "Cutie Mark Chronicles," but this was too much!!!  Heck, it was too much when I saw her alone, but then she TALKED!!!  Needless to say, I squeed for about 5 minutes straight.  Actually, come to think of it, I think that's actually the youngest canon scene we've ever actually had in the show of any of the Mane 6.  I WANT MORE, STUDIO B, MORE!!!!!!!  :angry:

img-1018709-1-0.jpg

img-1018709-2-Crying-meme.png

IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

All in all, this was a great last episode to have before Christmas, and, in my book, the best Applejack episode we've ever had.  It was funny, it was cute, the animation was amazing, the Apple family was awesome, the reunion was awesome, there was great continuity, the pacing and execution were phenomenal, and it had a great lesson for all ages.  What more could ya ask for, really?  So, what do we have lined up for next week?  What's that?  Oh me oh my, what's this, it's another AJ episode!!!  And she's gonna save Spike's life?!?!  And they're gonna get into shenanigans together?!?!?!  Oh Studio B, you just know what we bronies want, don't you!  Hats off to the team on another phenomenal episode this season!!!  :D

img-1018709-3-305933_255783877883604_118

Also, just for good measure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2elkcnZSLo

Enjoy your diabetes everypony!!!!!!!!!!!  B) 

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 10

It could be argued that Candlejack has had as much screentime, if not more, than Twilight Sparkle this season. Twi didn't even appear in this one. AJ has been in all of them and integral to most of the stories. So bah on anyone who says she's not a VIP.

Edited by BaBaBrony
  • Brohoof 3

Does anyone think that Applejack has a beautiful singing voice? Ashleigh Ball is great at singing. In "Winter Wrap-Up," too, AJ and RD really stole it with their singing (in my opinion). 

Despite me finding the 1,2,3,4 hokey, I have listened to the song about 20 times now. 

Edited by Rooish
  • Brohoof 6

It was a great episode! I loved the song, makes you want to get up and dance. :D It's very interesting how all Apple folks have something green or red on them, though green is more common. (Oh I LOVE ponies with green manes/coats.)

Although it's unfortunate we didn't get to know much about how Babs is doing at the moment. Still was nice to see her. :) 

• Brohoof 1

Interestingly enough Applejack may have almost as much screentime as Twilight this season, and the only reason Twilight's probably even ahead is due to The Crystal Empire being The Twilight Show.

I was pleased to finally get a song from our favorite farmer. I would be even more pleased if y'all diehard Applejack fans joined me in petitioning for a solo for Rainbow Dash next season.

And, yeah, I can't unhear "Racist Barn" either

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 2

Yeehaw! Yay AppleJack! Woohoo! (Falls off royal balcony and causes widespread destruction.)

Seriously though great episode! And the song was pretty good, not the best but still up there! I wonder how long till somepony remixes it....