Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Autistic brony insult?

Bro, I'm an aspie too and it really used to bother me and make me second-guess myself until I realized that I have a lot to offer. Aspie just means your talents don't lie in the same placec as your peers.

Yes, we are different but that's okay. In a world where the presents need to be wrapped, the others are the bows and ribbons, and we are the tape and box. We are the Twilight Sparkle and they are the Pinkie Pie. Embrace yourself and don't be ashamed.

I'm an aspie and proud. Be proud of it and express it. When you express it well, the haters have nothing to hate and soon look like idiots. In fact, some troll that stalks me on the internet keeps insulting my aspergers, and the only difference between him and a bucket of chicken is that a bucket of chicken can actually feed a family of four(True Capitalist radio reference).

• Brohoof 2

I'm an aspie and proud. Be proud of it and express it. When you express it well, the haters have nothing to hate and soon look like idiots.

They do especially when you turn the whole "autistic" insult on its head which is exactly what I plan to do if I ever run into that situation. I am going to quote something I said in another thread about this.

"yes as a matter of fact I do have Autism, the doctor told me I would never get an IQ past 50, and could turn into a vegetable at any time. But thanks to early intervention and years of therapies and a system of gradual mainstreaming I made the honor roll in middle school, graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA have taken some classes at my local community college and have successfully held down a job for 5 years, became one of the most well respected employees among my peers and received a promotion in less than a year. And am currently working on becoming an author to write about my experiences as an individual with Autism so that I can help myself by doing what I always wanted to do help others with Autism and so people will stop taking ignorant trolls like you seriously. Have a nice day."

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I don't get it either.  Autism is not considered a mental illness anymore, it hasn't been since the mid-1950s.  What kind of "insult" is that to call someone Autistic??  In fact, that should be compliment!  Tons of autistic people are very intellectually inclined, but just because they are social inclined doesn't mean they are idiots. Some may not talk much or not at all but I will happily advocate for them.

I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (Aspergers) just last year and it has been a long and hard road since then but even harder before I was diagnosed.

The one stereotypical symptom of Autism is unusual fascination in one or a few things, people with Autism tend to be enthusiasts, fanatics, and even experts at one particular thing/field/area of their interests. My Little Pony could easily be one of these interests, but not all Bronies have Autism and not all Autistic people like My Little Pony.  How I know?  I am friends with several MLP fans and none but one are Autistic.  This is like 1 out of 10 bronies that are autistic.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I'm slightly autistic, and I'm a brony, so I'm just like, "Yep," whenever I hear that crap. People think autism and mental retardation are the same thing, and they're not.

As for pricks you meet in games: The best thing to do is to mute them. They often want to get a rise out of you. Don't let some asshole on the other side of a mic get to you.

• Brohoof 3

Just the fact that we watch a cartoon about colored ponies. Let me ask you this: If you had never seen the show, and you had no idea how good it was, would you think people who watch it are normal. I know I didn't (That is, before I started watching of course.)

That, and MLP's history of girly cheesy shows (Especially G3, which is what I grew up seeing commercials for) only makes us look weirder if one hasn't seen FIM.

• Brohoof 1

Just the fact that we watch a cartoon about colored ponies. Let me ask you this: If you had never seen the show, and you had no idea how good it was, would you think people who watch it are normal.

I will admit that I found it strange that so many teenagers and adults especially men were watching MLP but I really didn't see a point in demonizing and trolling them over something that is completely harmless. I was against all these stupid insults before I ever became a brony because I think there is no such thing as "normal" and have never had nor ever will have any desire to be "normal". So no I didn't think they were "normal" and I still don't think they are "normal" because nobody is "normal" because we all have at least one interest that someone somewhere will find strange.

• Brohoof 2

I read a Youtube comment once that said all Bronies are autistic because they're repetitive and Autism means repetitive behavior (by this logic Star Trek Fans, Star Wars Fans, Sports Fans and just about everyone is autistic).

Not that I was expecting any intelligent comments on Youtube laugh.png

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

It's because a common trait of autism is a fixation on one particular subject, in this case My Little Pony. Plus, it's easy to lump things disliked on the internet together.

• Brohoof 1

I find it pretty sad when, the people that hate the show target the fans as autistic bronies when there are people that actually have autism. Sure at first, it's weird when grown men and teenagers watch a show about ponies but you don't have to bring autism into this.

It seems everyone has been talking about me. I feel loved.  :(

I read a Youtube comment once that said all Bronies are autistic because they're repetitive and Autism means repetitive behavior (by this logic Star Trek Fans, Star Wars Fans, Sports Fans and just about everyone is autistic).

Not that I was expecting any intelligent comments on Youtube img-1636077-1-laugh.png

Not really. I have Aspergers, or in this case, a disorder in the autism spectrum. The only repetitive behavior I once had was snapping or tapping the table or chair arm; I don't do that very much now. 

We should get all the autistic people and flaunt about our IQ levels. We could be demigods of Athena.

Edited by Cartophile
  • Brohoof 3

I think we have lots of Autistic people, that isn't bad though.

Usually Autistic people have a tendency to find something like a Hobby and stick to it. We fit that agenda quite well and we have a nice community so sure, we could have more autistic people. That is some screwed up logic though thinking a show gives you autism.

We fit that agenda quite well and we have a nice community so sure, we could have more autistic people.

Yes that is true for many of us and it can be a bit of a double edged sword, on one hand it can open doors to some great opportunities for fulfilling hobbies and careers but it can be a challenge for many on the spectrum to balance out these interests with others as well as responsibilities. Finding this balance took a while for me but it was well worth it, I turned a former weakness into a strength.

pinkie_pie_-_haters_gonna_hate-%28n13032

It's true what others have said, namely that it's tagged on pony fans cuz of the whole obsession thing. Well, I may be a pegasister but another of my obsessions is Chernobyl. Make of that what you will...

Utterly stupid and degenerate insult. It's only used because one of the traits of autism is not knowing what's socially acceptable, and people think grown men watching MLP isn't socially acceptable. But that's part of why Bronies exist in the first place - we do think it is socially acceptable, who decided that it isn't? Who was it that said that boys absolutely must love things tailored to their demographic, and girls likewise? The whole basis of using autism as an insult is both unoriginal, disrespectful and ultimately despicable.

• Brohoof 3

I don't understand why people do things like this. It's really fucking stupid. I mean, I'm technically diagnosed with very slight autism, and of course I'm a brony. I don't understand why this affects these stupid little trolls. My god...

Utterly stupid and degenerate insult. It's only used because one of the traits of autism is not knowing what's socially acceptable, and people think grown men watching MLP isn't socially acceptable.

Eeeeeyup you are right on that, much of what is considered "socially acceptable" and "socially unacceptable" is extremely hypocritical and ass backwards anyway. I just don't get why it is acceptable for grown men to get upset over their sports team losing but not for watching a positive show that just so happens to be about cartoon ponies. A lot time ago I just said to hell with what is "acceptable" and just follow basic common courtesy and only do anything extra when I feel like it.

• Brohoof 2

Here are another autistic Brony. When I was a kid I had to move out of school and to the pschyatric hospital. And I also got bullied out of other forurms because I had autism.

This is exactly why it is important to tell people the truth about Autism, I struggled and fought to get to where I am but I was also very fortunate to have a lot of supports that alot of people have either never gotten or didn't get as soon as they should have. We have come a long way but we still have a long way to go, I am fighting so that the next generation hopefully won't have to fight as hard for support and acceptance. When I was diagnosed the doctor thought I was mentally challenged and recommended putting me in an institution, this back in 1988 when I was 2 years old. Thankfully my parents didn't listen to him.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1

It originated out of 4chan probably, I use 4chan(trying to quit) and alot of people use autist and autistic alot and there are actually a big amount of autistics on there but its still a nasty website. I used to have autism but I had it slapped out of me, I learnt social skills and I seem like a normal person.

It has has nothing to do with us, people have used the word autistic as a insult on the internet as far as I can remember. It's stupid and a immature, but it's best to ignore it.

I think it's roots came from people like Chris Chan(if you don't know that is, consider yourself lucky, I'd like his memory to die but I have to bring it up for academic purposes here) acting like total immature scumbags then blaming on the disability, making the rest of us that have some form of it look bad.  

Edited by Shoboni

It follows a very long, very convoluted, very idiotic thought process.

To my best understanding, it goes:

Brony -> Watches a show not in their demographic ->Childish -> Mentally underdeveloped -> Autism.

I swear, I can't fucking stand people who actually use that insult. You're not being "edgy", just a moronic asshole.

They're saying this because they want to have fun bullying, because you know, it seems it's hilarious to see people rage on the internet, while you are watching safely the whole thing behind your screen.

And it seems they can't find better, so they write "autistic" lol. Just ignore them.