Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Autistic brony insult?

So during my adventures on xbox and pc multiplayer games, I have noticed that on more than one occasion, haters continuously call me an autistic brony. Of course, brony hating insults don't hurt me but I was confused as per why someone would insult another person with autism and why bronies are insulted to have autism.

So I'm asking you guys if you have ever been insulted similarly, heard of where the insult originated or if this is just a coincidence. 

Hm, well It's a pretty dick move. Being autistic doesn't mean that you have a lower IQ. Mental Retardation and Autism are NOT the same things. So if anyone said that, they have no idea what they're talking about. (Kind of ironic)

Although not mentally disabled myself, I have been around a lot em', and we have quite a few Autistic kids in our grade of 400 or so, and the 5 Autistic kids we do have aren't necessarily separated from the rest of their classmates. Sure there are some forms of them that do have a sadly low IQ, but there are also many other forms like Aspergers that just simply mean you don't interact or think to the world normally. Being different doesn't make you unintelligent.  

I guess some people associate liking the show with having aspergers syndrome or autism. Don't know why, it doesn't matter anyway. Besides aspergers and autism are fairly common so it's not unusual that some bronies would have it.

Autism in its self is very odd you can be like me whose intelligence and personality is rather intact leaving no Coping/social/life skills or be totally debilitated stuck in a wheelchair although i am not sure if Intelligence is hindered...but *shrug* 

It's just another stupid unoriginal insult that people come up with like "gay" or "retarded".

Not really sure where it originated from.

I actually hate "gay" and "autistic" being used as an insult more than the word retarded because in the right context retarded can simply be used to describe anything that is not progressive. For example Record (as in vinyl) collectors could even be realistically described as retarded because they are delaying the move forward to mp3 format. Retard used as a verb in of itself is not offensive.

re·tard  
/riˈtärd/
Verb
Delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.

Noun
offensive. A mentally handicapped person (often used as a general term of abuse).

"Autistic" is much worse because unlike "retarded" which relies on context "autistic" specifically and very deliberately is using a learning disability as an insult.

So speaking as someone who is actually on the Autistic spectrum, I really don't take umbride with "retard" as an insult but "autistic" really is the lowest of the low blows. And if "downs" becomes the next big insult I shall likewise take offence at that too.

I used to have autism but I had it slapped out of me, I learnt social skills and I seem like a normal person.

No you still have autism, you don't just "grow out" of it. Like me you actively learned to cope with it so it's effects seem mimimalised in your everyday behaviours.

Edited by Scrumpy
  • Brohoof 3

So during my adventures on xbox and pc multiplayer games

Well, that was your first mistake.

All kidding aside, it's a nice thought to try to pin down where the insult originated and what (if anything) it might be based on, but assuming that there is a point of origin AT ALL and thus a logical flow of thought behind the insult is giving the sub-human pond scum on Live far more credit than they deserve.

(Aside: Some might think I'm being harsh, but I've heard people on Live before, and plenty of them are beneath the contempt of decent human beings. Which is why I never game on Live. Even worse, their behavior makes the general public associate their bafflingly anti-social behavior with "gamers" in general, so EVERYONE in the community comes out looking worse because of them. So yeah, I think every gamer has a completely legit axe to grind with those folks.)

But yeah, being called autistic is just another thing that sounds like a daring edgy insult to microscopically brained 12 year old beta male wannabe tough guys. Attempting to gain insight into their thought process is a waste of time, because they probably haven't had anything resembling a thought for a good long while.

Because my mom is a nurse and studied a lot in the psychological realm, she knows a lot about mental disorders. She even told me that people who have autism tend to discover thing out of their age range. 

So in SOME cases. bronies DO form from people who have autism, but, it's NOT the majority of bronies. 

So to say that all bronies have autism is the stupidest thing to say, but it's not only an insult, but it is a sign a naivety from the one who states this hasty generalization. 

Because my mom is a nurse and studied a lot in the psychological realm, she knows a lot about mental disorders. She even told me that people who have autism tend to discover thing out of their age range. 

So in SOME cases. bronies DO form from people who have autism, but, it's NOT the majority of bronies. 

So to say that all bronies have autism is the stupidest thing to say, but it's not only an insult, but it is a sign a naivety from the one who states this hasty generalization. 

I myself have it,I don't like it at all! It is stupid...I just cannot grasp the idea of Autism even being an Insult...I'm sorry but what the heck 

• Brohoof 1

Have you ever been to /mlp/? It's a nightmare with bad pictures, same phrases over and over again, and everyone appears to have autism by the way they act. I choose to ignore people on there because they touch topics that I'm not quite interested in. Probably haters see /mlp/ and base all bronies on them.

• 4 weeks later...

Simple. Some of these people think they are better than everypony else and therefor, they choose to be massive *ahem* flankholes and use language that might be offensive to others. As someone on the spectrum, I myself find such language (when used in to hurt others) offensive. But in reality, the egg's on their face because what they don't know is that I really am I autistic and I am into ponies (and Doctor Who but that's another story) I just don't tell people very often about my Asperger's Syndrome b/c people make such a big stink about it now and it's really annoying! I mean seriously! When did Autism become a tragedy? I can remember a time when practically no one heard of it. Now, you tell someone about it and people go nuts!

autistic is the new fag of insults.  it's the catch all.

Take heart, there's nothing particularly bad about you when your called autistic.  it's a common jab.  you were not singled out.  it's a by the numbers troll.

Take for example some of you may have noticed my typoes.  "My God you must be autistic!" And i'll admit when i first heard it i thought it was hand crafted for me.

I was pissed.   it's not LOL.

I post at a troll forum where people use fag as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, to describe any and all things so much so the word has lost any and all meaning LOL it once had.

It's been commented on it's like saying "bro " around there lol.

Now, you tell someone about it and people go nuts!

It depends on who you tell and under what context, one common comment I have gotten has been "but you seem so normal",but even as far in my life as high school it was fairly obvious to anyone that had a rudimentary knowledge of Autism that I had it and even more obvious in my younger years. That clearly shows that there are a lot of people that need to be educated, that dosen't that mean that it is a good idea for you or I to walk up to a random person on the street and say "hi my name is *insert name here* and I have Autism." But I do believe that people on the Autism spectrum who are able to have an important role in educating the public because even some that are higher on the spectrum may need help with certain things. It is through properly educating the public and empowering people on the spectrum that we can give society a more accurate and balanced view of Autism to where it may not be all sunshine and lolipops but it is not the death sentence that certain people and organizations have irresponsibly painting it as either or some cheap insult to be used by trolls.

Hater.

Lemme spell and define it.

H

a

t

e

r.

Definition:

A person that  often insults other users on a message board or videogame about the same game. This also applies to the fans of Television shows and music.

I don't understand why... ok well i do understand why people use the insult, because people are stupid.

Its the same as the gay insults and the like, they just wanna find something they can use that they think insults your intelligence...

Funny thing is, i know some autistic people, and they're all freaking smart. Like they make me look dumb as a rock. 

Sure it depends upon the type and stuff, but they're all pretty freaking smart.

The way i see it, its just a different way of being, its not like your sick and somethings wrong with it necessarily, its just a different way to be wired.

Just because its not the normal doesn't mean anything.

Idk i'm just rambling on.

Anyways, the insult came from the same place all insults come from, the dumb idiots guide to insults.(Of course to be fair i'm not that great at insulting people, but i don't have much of a track record with it anyways.)

I think its a dumb insult.

I'm not even autistic, but still. 

My respect for others with that type of stuff compelled me to talk about how stupid it is of an insult.

Notice: It is impossible to live in a world where people as a society are truly tolerant of any other race, religion, or beliefs. 

We're living with idiots. We're better than them, therefore we rise while they eat the dirt of their origins.

Well, that was your first mistake.

It probably doesn't help that my name is MLP_Fanboy on all of these platforms....... :P 

It makes it a whole lot easier to meet other bronies but I cop a lot of insults now XD

Notice: It is impossible to live in a world where people as a society are truly tolerant of any other race, religion, or beliefs. 

We're living with idiots. We're better than them, therefore we rise while they eat the dirt of their origins.

Well that's not very nice.

Just by saying that, especially the part about "We're better then them" makes you look as intolerant as the "people" you described.

And no, Bronies are better than no one. We're just ordinary guys and gals that like ponies, nothing special about it.

Well that's not very nice.

Just by saying that, especially the part about "We're better then them" makes you look as intolerant as the "people" you described.

And no, Bronies are better than no one. We're just ordinary guys and gals that like ponies, nothing special about it.

Sorry, I'm just not very good today and kind of hypocritical. Especially when "autism" is mentioned, I feel like punching someone in the face. You know that feeling where you can no longer hold something inside of you?

first off, no matter what you do, people will insult you online. Second, be smart and just mute them.

Otherwise, people act tough online because no one will be able to phyically harm them. Thus, the troll was born

I don't really take being called autistic as an insult, think about it, although people with autism are closed off people, autism can also render you extremely talented so i find if more of a compliment :3 

My respect for others with that type of stuff compelled me to talk about how stupid it is of an insult.

You brought up some good points.  After reading through the past few pages, I've come to a different conclusion than most...

The label "autistic" is not meant as an insult to somebody's intelligence or maturity.  Rather, it's meant to insult the (admittedly difficult to refute) notion that a lot of bronies are social outsiders who don't seem to mind (or even know) that latching onto a punching-bag community is basically the same as self-identifying with the most hilariously pathetic neckbeards/cloppers/cutters around.  How can they not pile on the insults when somebody so clearly paints that kind of bullseye on their foreheads?

And just to be clear, I'm not agreeing with douchebag kids on XBL or PSN...just saying that it's easy to see why so many people are telling the same story in this thread.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry, I'm just not very good today and kind of hypocritical. Especially when "autism" is mentioned, I feel like punching someone in the face. You know that feeling where you can no longer hold something inside of you?

I don't blame you for it. We all get that sometimes. As long as it isn't a constant, ongoing belief of yours, I think you're good. Believing you're superior than someone isn't smart in itself.

When I was diagnosed the doctor thought I was mentally challenged and recommended putting me in an institution, this back in 1988 when I was 2 years old. Thankfully my parents didn't listen to him.

A psychiatrist recommended this to my parents too, back when I was a troubled teen. This was right after he diagnosed me with antisocial personality disorder. My parents said no, so the psychatrist then suggested giving me antipsychotic drugs. They said no to that, and I didn't see him any more. Basically, back when I was a teen, Aspergers didn't exist as a diagnosis; all autistics were the low functioning type.

I just learned to cope with it on my own and use techniques for survival. Now, for example, I stopped most of my stims, I don't grunt all the time or twitch my face, and I don't tap my feet nonstop any more. It took work but I managed it. At least, not in public; I still twitch my face in private sometimes cuz, dammit, I can and it doesn't matter. XD

I'm pretty sure the origins of the insult "Autism" originate from Christian Weston Chandler and the way he would continually blame all of his disgusting or socially awkward actions on his Asperger's Sydrome. So naturally, since nobody is creative anymore, people just saw his videos, someone called him an autistic fuck, and droves of sheep hoped on the autism bandwagon and stuck with it even though most of them have no idea what autism is to begin with. That's what trolling has become today too. It used to be clever ways to induce a massive flamewar, now it's just LOLAUTISMFAGZLOL!!!! Sad really.

Edited by Prince Solaris

• 2 weeks later...

The reason why people connect with interest in various things is simply because atypical interests are often a symptom of autism. This is because obsessing over certain things is a direct criteria of autism, like Category Ba or something, and caring less about the social stigma associated with certain things makes more topics of obsession open. This is by no means exclusive to autism, but stereotypes form and people go with them. Anyway, if someone doesn't like you because you like something innocent just ignore them, they are close minded and not worth your time. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 1

I think the autism comment is more of an insult than a statement.

I have actually noticed that I have a fetish for airplanes considering I watch them often on YouTube departing, arriving, blasting off (agaaain! *twinkle #pokemon reference), et cetera. My Little Pony is not as prominent, but it's still something I desire unusually.

I guess you can say I might have some form of autism, but I do have a relative who actually does have autism, and I am not so similar to him considering I'm a lot more social and vary my interests, so it's safer to say I don't have autism. Again, I might be a normal aviation geek (who can't fly dammit!) whose hobby is... aviation!

Basically... we all have our hobbies. Other people will insult you with a comment (ie, you have autism) so they can feel better about themselves.

Edited by Wingin'Wolf