Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Curiously, i'm just 18 years old but...

Mortimer

I love old stuff, be it music, videogames or movies. Screw One Direction and Skrillex, i love bands like Dire Straits, Bill Haley, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley.

I also find the PSX generation and below to be the ancient deities of videogames.

I also have this "guilty pleasure" of watching old movies, this month i fully watched:

-Cape Fear

-Gone with the wind (best five hours of my life)

-Dirty Dancing

And other great movies including The wizard of Oz, Who framed Roger Rabbit?, Viva Las Vegas, etc.

Is it weird? Does anyone else do it?

• Brohoof 25

No i believe you have rly good taste in game and music and i can agree with you saying the PSX and below are gaming nirvana taken from a retro kind of guy such as myself i do feel quite a bit of nostalgia when i go back and play old games, Watch old movies (Heck i still watch my disney movies from time to time), and listen to old music so i dont think you are weird at all.

Edited by Luna'sChosen

Nah, it's not weird. I'm 13 and I watched a movie from 1949 called "Holiday Affair" and loved it. :P 

I'm not surprised, call me a nerd, but new things are just.... meh.

The music on the radio is meh. Catchy but meh.

Most newer video games are meh. There are still the underappreciated ones.

And most movies are also meh.

The one word to describe this generation:

Meh.  -_-

Oh yeah.... Dreamcast master race reporting in.  :D

• Brohoof 9

If you tell me why it should be weird, I will tell you whether it is or not.

Because I don't see how or why liking older games, music, movies or literature would be weird. Do I have to be 200 years old to enjoy Shelley? I sure hope not.

• Brohoof 3

Nothing wrong with enjoying old things at all! I actually really enjoy old comedies like Fawlty Towers and Abbot and Costello and the music I mainly enjoy listening to was composed in the 18th century.

Certain older video games still show an incredible amount of quality, even when compared to today's standards. I still love super mario world and I don't think it's outdated at all. The same with the first paper mario, sonic adventure 2 and other titles. Even games that show a little age can still be a lot of fun!

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

Man, I listen to music composed 300 years ago. And the Beastie Boys and KLF. Don't get your jimmies rustled about what other people think: be yourself and do what you like.

I like old movies and TV shows like Top Gun and MacGyver, well they're not that old but you get the point.

Like what you perceive as worth liking.

Dear friend you have a condition now believed to be of terrible implications people calls it OWN OPINION ad if I judge well I would also diagnostic some symptoms of GOOD TASTE. Most humans these days become immune to this kind of conditions but as far as I know You Rock

• Brohoof 6

I agree with you on a lot of that, actually. I don't like much newer music, (I can make exceptions for artists such as Mandopony, Coconeru, and Joaftheloaf.) and my favorite games are on the SNES. My SNES finally broke a year ago, so it's either emulator or try to get into newer games. And I like a lot of older movies, I don't know anyone who dislikes the Wizard of Oz, for instance. (Which my great-granduncle acted in! He was the lion.)

• Brohoof 2

I'm pretty much the same. I prefer listening to 50's styled music, mainly just everything made before 2000. The classic PSX games, the ONLY way they could become better is through graphical updates, if someone just remastered the graphics. Left the gameplay, left everything untouched, and just updated the graphics. Hell, it might of been a game I've already bought, but It'll be worth it

Oh, well yeah thanks. I think i'm my highschool that actually like retro-stuff. And i'm really satisfied to hear youth still have it's neurons intact, as with videogames, graphics does not rise the quality of games, just gameplay and music.

I wouldn't really call liking old movies a guilty pleasure liking glee on the other hand is one (don't judge me).

There is no shame in liking classics whatever they might be.

To me if something is good I don't really care if its old or new though with the quality of entertainment going down the toilet these days I like more of the old stuff a bit better. I play alot of games from the 8 and 16 bit eras though I did grow up during that time so they may not seem as old to me. I also watch a lot of 80's and 90's cartoons, I got the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles classic series DVD boxset a month or so ago and I just have one more DVD to go before I have watched the entire series. For me it is music especially where the older stuff appeals to me, almost every musician or band I like is either old or dead some have dead for a couple hundred years.

It looks like you have a taste for a certain patch of the classics, not my favorites, but you got extended tastes. Maybe you should also try seeing what makes this old media unique, or what messages lie underneath the big titles, and what educational value do they bring.

You're not weird at all, I know exactly where you're coming from.

Most new music does not interest me at all. Celestia forbid you turn on a popular station these days. If it's not pop "stars" I've barely heard of rap-singing about what strong independent women they are on multimillion-dollar contracts, it's wimpy glam bands with worse haircuts than anything the 80's could produce, who think wailing in falsetto about their girlfriends breaking up with them is ROCKIN'! :angry:  Megadeth, Katatonia, Immolation, The Police, Billy Idol, Sevendust, now that's my kind of music.

New video games? The single-player experience is a lost art. Everything's online. Instead of really building on their legacies and further exploring the great ideas they had, game companies are going where the most money is and selling out to the masses. Those of us who are well behind the technology curve or have no interest in an Internet jaunt with millions of foul-mouthed 13-year-olds are left to our own devices. In my case: NES, Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, GameCube and PS2 forever, baby. B)  DC and GC were the last real gaming machines ever made, and PS2 was the last one with a library that interested me.

And if you think I'm picky about music and games don't ask me about movies. xD  The point is, you're definitely not alone.

• Brohoof 7

You, too? I'm 14, and I absolutely love Queen, Pink Floyd, and the Beatles. But unlike you, I like pop, too, like Adele, and Taylor Swift, and....yeah that's about it. I like dubstep, but only pony dubstep. 

I've never played an old video game and I feel like I'm missing out. I've only played Pacman and that was on GameCube or something similar...

(I can't say the same for my friends....one of them listens to Norwegian guys singing in Russian while playing the violin...)

Old movies? I like 90's movies, they have the best sense of humor. I just finished watching Disney's Robin Hood for the bajillionth time yesterday, and my mom's going to find Goldeneye for me to watch so I can compare Skyfall to it. She says it's the best.

So yeah, you're most definitely not alone~ :D

Edit: Oh wait. I'm playing tetris right now. Does that count as "old"?

Edited by Strawberry Tart
  • Brohoof 1

I guess I've never found it strange. I was raised to like old stuff. I only really had a couple of years - my early to mid teens - where I mostly listened to modern day popular music. I still like and listen to much of what I did back then, actually, I just stopped listening to stations that play today's music after that.

Outside of a couple of bands that I listen to (like Streetlight Manifesto) I couldn't tell you what's going on in the popular music world today. lol. I didn't even know who or what Justin Bieber was until the internet exploded in hate toward him.

Just don't come to resent modern day stuff because it is modern. It is very easy to get stuck in that mindset. I was stuck in it for a while. In fact I went through a phase of practically being a classical snob. The bands I listen today (like Streetlight Manifesto) I would have automatically rejected back then. You've got to keep an open mind. It's a lot more fun with an open mind. The more one enjoys the better, I say!

• Brohoof 1

Simon and Garfunkel, Michael Jackson, the Beatles, and more fill my phone's MP3 list (along with ponies, of course). And I'm only in junior high. I'm a very irritable, rant-able insane person, so I once almost passed out after yelling at someone non-stop for a couple minutes because they said "What's Simon and Garfunkel? Is that like a comic between Simon the Cat and Garfield?" Now, at first I excused them because this same person also said "What's a consonant? No, a consonant, not a continent. A continent's like Ontario, right?", but when I explained it to them and starting singing, they said "That sounds really boring. I'm gonna go listen to some One Direction now - they know how to make good music." I think I'm lucky I didn't get a detention for deafening that girl.

Unfortunately, I've been playing video games since I was very young, so I was kind of indoctrinated into the graphics-improvement bellcurve. For example, I played Skate 2 before I did Skate 1, and in the beginning of S1, I didn't know what to do with myself because I couldn't get off my board. That's why I love my GameCube so much; I have a mix between 3D and older graphics.

Then again, there's something to be said for progress. Adam Lambert, and Adele, they are something.

There are loads of people just like you. I'm younger than you but my brain is pretty much perpetually stuck in from the thirties to the nineties.

I do like some "new" bands and films, and while they may be relatively unknown or unpopular and allow me to labelled a "hipster" I like what I like. The fact that I wear baggy clothing doesn't help, but I just don't care.

Just be yourself. It's not abnormal not to go with the flow for the sake of it. That to me seems very stupid. People like that are way less fun to be with and it's a turn-off.

Edited by Nicolas Cage

you forget to say you like a girls caroon show about ponies but :ph34r:

it ok to have retro test i say it kind of cool to see sameone in you age like these things

i have frinde (20) years old love 40's - 50's movies and play NES games :wacko:

i think loveing retro things is cooool :wub:

If you consider having good taste weird, then yes. I don't, I think it's awesome that some people know that the majority of the good stuff came from a couple years back. I still enjoy listening to songs from the 70's-90's, mostly because my dad introduced me to them. I even surprise him on occasion with songs I'm listening to that he "used to listen to when he was in high school".