Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Curiously, i'm just 18 years old but...

Mortimer

You're not weird at all, I know exactly where you're coming from.

Most new music does not interest me at all. Celestia forbid you turn on a popular station these days. If it's not pop "stars" I've barely heard of rap-singing about what strong independent women they are on multimillion-dollar contracts, it's wimpy glam bands with worse haircuts than anything the 80's could produce, who think wailing in falsetto about their girlfriends breaking up with them is ROCKIN'! :angry:  Megadeth, Katatonia, Immolation, The Police, Billy Idol, Sevendust, now that's my kind of music.

Sad but true, as a musician and a listener I find most of todays music to be bland, boring and meaningless. Pretty much everything you have said in that paragraph is 100% true, it is not that there is not any talent out there it is that the music industry has no interest in actual talent and every interest is dumbing it down to the point where it is insulting even to two year olds and of course a heavy dose of propaganda both subliminal and overt.

• Brohoof 2

I'm only 33 (Yes ONLY! Shut up!) and most of my favorite movies are in B/W. Have you ever watched "The Thin Man"? That's a classic who-done-it, based on one of the best detective stories ever written. My favorite version of "A Christmas Carol" is the 1951 version starring Alasteir Sim. My favorite radio station plays only music from the 60s-80s. I also hunt through thrift shops for a lot of the clothes I wear. My wardrobe is a bit eclectic, I do admit, but I like it and receive compliments!

• Brohoof 2

Don’t worry as I’m 18 as well and i love old stuff! i got almost all of the classic Nintendo systems (Famicom/NES,SNES,N64,GB,GBC, i dont have Virtual Boy).

I would love to one day get a old 386 just to mess around with :wub:

I like 80's music too, and movies (star wars ftw). i even love old 20's-30's-40's cartoons.

There is so much great old content out there to enjoy and there is nothing wrong with liking it, why i would say all the modern age children and teens are missing out on tons of amazing old games, movies, and music.

Of course you should be careful not to look at everything in the past with rose-tinted glasses, not everything in the past is better.

• Brohoof 1

Believe me, you're far from alone. I'm 21, and ever since I was about 13 most of my favorite music has been from the 70s-90s. Same deal with games.  The last new game I got was 5 years ago (I believe Twilight Princess).  Most of my stuff is my old PS1/PS2/GBC/GBA games and Virtual Console NES/Genesis stuff.

• Brohoof 1

I love old stuff, be it music, videogames or movies. Screw One Direction and Skrillex, i love bands like Dire Straits, Bill Haley, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley.

I also find the PSX generation and below to be the ancient deities of videogames.

I also have this "guilty pleasure" of watching old movies, this month i fully watched:

-Cape Fear

-Gone with the wind (best five hours of my life)

-Dirty Dancing

And other great movies including The wizard of Oz, Who framed Roger Rabbit?, Viva Las Vegas, etc.

Is it weird? Does anyone else do it?

I am jealous of your great taste in things. The only old thing I've done in the last few years is watching the movie Metropolis.

I also like that Tiny Tim guy.

Lets talk games, if you are in need of some recommendations for those  X >= 32 bit classics Ill lend a hoof, claw, hand whatever... This are just for SNES and PS1 and just personal takes some of this games were never into the general public eye but they are a must for a elite gamer XD

Action + Adventure

This genre was not as developed as today but when their mechanics fail the charm and personality of the game stood up for memorable experiences.

• Alundra (PS1) – Best Zelda ever is not called Zelda
  • Seiken Densetsu 3 (SNES) – Magnificent game nuff said
  • Super Metroid (SNES)– Its very possible you have already play this but is a MUST for everypony
  • Megaman Legends 1 +2 (PS1) – Very few games got me so much into their world
  • Alundra 2 (PS1) – Not as good as Alundra but a great adventure
  • Treads of Fate (PS1) – Charming and fun to play
  • Legend of Mana (PS1) – A personal recommendation the “mission” system sucks but story and chars well worth the bother making it an amazing game

RPG’s

For PSX and previous consoles there are a ton of J RPG’s you have to play, lets assume you already had a chance with the Final Fantasy main series and other big titles so try these ones:

• Legend of the Dragoon (PS1) – good story and fun battles
  • Tales of Phantasia (SNES) – Get it on emulator with a fan sub
  • Vagrant Story (PS1)– Deep and considered the perfect rpg in japan
  • Bahamut Lagoon(SNES)  –  Get it on emulator with a fan sub
  • Xenogears (PS1)– Beautiful
  • Thousand Arms (PS1) – Don’t let the cover fool you
  • Lunar + Lunar 2 (PS1)  – Charming just Chaming

Other

There is an unlimited amount of awesome games  you can try on classic systems and these are some of those not so popular that will not fail to amuse you.

• Einhander (PS1 Shooter) – one of the best 2D shooter ever made
  • Tetris Attack (SNES puzzle) – A battle puzzler that is fun as fun can be
  • Magical Quest (SNESPlatforms)– BOOM is way better than what you can expect
  • Omega Boost (PS1 Shooter) – space + robots + time traveling +  ENIAC = WUT? Great 3d shooter hard as hell and jap opening is way past cool.
  • Knights of the Round (SNES beat’em up) – Stuff from capcom when they ruled the consoles
  • Rival Schools 2(PS1 Fighter) – 3D Fighting game easy to play awesome to play and minigames =D
  • Boost a Groove 2 (PS1 Dancing?) – Crazy and awesome dancing fighter... yes is just that
Edited by Colt
  • Brohoof 3

Yeah I listen to actually music not a bunch of computer generated noises and auto-tune meshed together other wise none to this current generation as a "hit".

I just don't go spamming up the place saying ''I'm  18 year old female and I like Queen, The Beatles etc," Like some people do on youtube. (By the way I'm 18 too  :) )

Edited by PonyPowaX1000

I don't think it's strange in anyway! My brother got me really into 80s music like Aerosmith and Queen. I also can't remember the name, but my favorite movie was from a really long time ago. It'a about a Roman goddess that comes down to earth to star in a Broadway musical. 

Not particularly fancying things BECAUSE they're old, I really fancy the movie 1946 movie "It's a wonderful life" and "Gone with the wind" was a great one to watch too. I don't usually pay attention to when something was released though. It's almost all the same in my eyes. I like what I like, and dislike what I dislike, regardless of what era it was made during.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

quality and taste knows no age limit. we're lucky to exist in this moment though, simply because we can enjoy the new and the old without having to deal with the negatives of both. 

- you can own a 50s hot rod with modern technology in it, so it drives and stops like a modern car, but still has that vintage look.

- music is hit or miss, but theres plenty of modern artists making music like the good old days. top 40 radio is a poor example of music quality.... and look at it this way: the top 40 in the 50s was awful too, simply because people liked the 20s and 30s music more. 

- cinema is hit or miss as well. theres alot of shit being turned out with too many special effects, not to mention everything is 3D these days. but think about it.... all the best movies were basically just a couple people talking, such as the Godfather. that style of making movies still exists, you just need to know where to look. 

so yeah, your age doesnt make a difference. you just appreciate the classic ways of doing things, back when more quality was put into something, and when people were proud of what they could create. 

• Brohoof 1

Oh yeah I just wan to add....

Guuuueeeessss what my new favorite song is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0xVLGssnwU

I also listen to smooth jazz when I go to bed.

And about new video games.... Not all of them are total pieces of poo. There's still stuff like, uuuuhhhh....  :huh:

Okay, I can't list anything 'cause I don't a next-gen console!  :( 

And I will admit that I did enjoy Call of Duty 4's campaign, but just that. I can't stand the people who use the mic online.  :angry: 

Now I will wait for a remake of Armored Core 2 and King's Field 4.  :mellow:

Edited by Supernova

Okay, I can't list anything 'cause I don't a next-gen console!  :( 

I feel your pain. A lot of the activity with gaming lately has moved to the PC though, so you've got that. And with stuff like Minecraft and Team Fortress 2 around, I say that video games are doing pretty well for themselves.

I'm going to be unexciting and be a teenager who actually likes new stuff. I don't like to judge quality by age. Older stuff has just had more time to prove itself and have the wheat separated from the chaff. I'll go and listen to a great classical piece (I <3 the Romantic era), and follow it up with a thoughtful electronic one made this year. I read The Odyssey and then The Hunger Games. I'll play Alpha Centauri, and be excitedly waiting for Skyrim to get delivered to my house. 

Trust me though, Regirock, your kind is definitely not rare. All it means is that you have a taste for the classics or the styles of those times.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 1

I also love Videogame soundtracks, i have around 500 songs in my phone and about 3/4 of them are OST from videogames, and this includes:

-The 5 Crash Bandicoot games for the PSX

-Some random Japanese Digimon songs.

-Duke Nukem

-Spyro 1 and 2.

-Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha and EX 2 Plus

-Twisted Metal Small Brawl

-Vigilante 8 Part 1 and 2 (Second Offense).

I must say, they really pack a punch and when i'm really tired they put me 20% cooler.

I love old stuff, be it music, videogames or movies. Screw One Direction and Skrillex, i love bands like Dire Straits, Bill Haley, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley.

I also find the PSX generation and below to be the ancient deities of videogames.

I also have this "guilty pleasure" of watching old movies, this month i fully watched:

-Cape Fear

-Dirty Dancing

And other great movies including The wizard of Oz, Who framed Roger Rabbit?, Viva Las Vegas, etc.

It is not weird,it was what makes you special and awesome. Myself i like newer games too even though i am getting sick of seeing Call Of Duty every year.

• Brohoof 1

-Cape Fear

-Dirty Dancing

You are not weird at all! That would make me weird too :P! Btw you have great taste in music and I love Dire Straits. I agree with you in many aspects that older stuff is just as awesome if not even more awesome than the modern stuff we have today! *Hint* *hint* tv shows of today!

• Brohoof 1

Last night i was watching this poor attempt at a show (or reality show) called "Jersey Shore" and it's pathetic spin-off "Geordie Shore", and i was like:

31173328.jpg

After this, i thought my brain had melted, i almost grabbed my knife and stab me in the eyes, but there's always hope in the world, and this bastardation of a series is ending, and i started watching again "Birdle Gossip", i love the Flutterguy part where he is singing.

• Brohoof 1

It just means you are more mature than your peers. However, your topic title made me laugh. 

"Curiously, i'm just 18 years old but..." made it sound like you were both surprised and intrigued by the fact you didn't go from 17 to 42 years old, or something along those lines. 

• Brohoof 1

I love skrillex personally but others might not. my parents think i am one messed up 14 year old kid for having to watch MLP and listening to "Robot music".

Just goes to prove it doesn't hurt to be different! Somehow... O-o

I feel like I was born in the 60s, put into cryo sleep and woken up in the late 90s because I love pretty much anything from that era. My dream car is a 65 ford mustang fastback, my friends think I'm ridiculous but one of my teachers finds it cool.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of kids and teens seem to be discovering the things I grew up with and things even older. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's useless or irrelevant. My guess is that they're getting a bit bored with modern movies and games rehashing the same things year after year and could also be getting tired of the breakneck pace at which the world moves these days. Consequently, they start looking to the past, to times when certain ideas first manifested in media and when people took time to savor things rather than simply seeking momentary thrills before jumping on the next fad.

My music tastes are eclectic. I enjoy things from all eras. If I was to pick a favorite genre, it would probably be the Blues; see John Lee Hooker and James Cotton for the specific style that I go for. Cajun music does it too. Jazz and swing are what I normally listen to in the car.

Games? Give me a well-made side-scroller any day. I'm talking

and all those others that had control schemes that were about as simplistic as could be but challenged us more than anything made in the past 10 years. RPGs? Try
and
That's right, Crystalis. I thought of that game immediately when I learned the name of everypony's favorite changeling queen.

You know what I like the most about old RPGs? Doomsday predictions for the 90s. See the linked video above for Crystalis. The very first screen says:

1997, October 1,

The END DAY

That's great. They probably never expected somebody to remember that, let alone still be playing that game by that point in time. What's even funnier to me is that there are some people on this forum who weren't even born until after that time had passed. It's like those 50s sci-fi movies that predicted humanity would be a space-faring civilization by the 90s. I know I've gotten off on a bit of a tangent now, but it's one that I feel pretty good about. Now I've had a few laughs this evening.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying there's nothing of value in modern entertainment. I'm only saying that for all of our technological advancements we haven't really added any depth to older things that have been revived/revisited and that it's worth one's while to take a look at the origins of what we enjoy today. I also enjoy a few newer things like some forms of dubstep; bring on the rage.

I'm only 33 (Yes ONLY! Shut up!)

Ha! You're old!

Nah, I feel you. I'll reach the quarter century mark this year. It seems that after I turned 22 I started feeling worse about my age, then some dude made

and now I feel really lousy.

Of course you should be careful not to look at everything in the past with rose-tinted glasses, not everything in the past is better.

I am jealous of your great taste in things. The only old thing I've done in the last few years is watching the movie Metropolis.

Metropolis was quite ahead of its time. That movie is more appreciated today than it was back then.

Edited by Artemis
  • Brohoof 1

I must say that you are not alone, 

When it comes to music I like it all from Bach to Metal (but Dubstep, Country, and most Rap i dislike with a passion)

Gone with the wind, No Time for Sergeants, 12 Angry Men (the original), Dirty Dancing, etc. are all great movies and easy to like,

so much so that they are getting remade. they had originality. (plus I have been to the hotel from Dirty Dancing :D. Lake is dry now though...) Games are just, just... I am not even going there.

The fun part is, i will be 16 in a few weeks :D. if you are weird then I am also:P 

Is it weird to have good taste, hell no

i think what going on here is that in these time we live in it easy to get anything (old new)

befor the internet and youtube you can only hear and watch new things

there no one see old things exapet old peopole who grow up with these

but now you go to youtube or Torrent site and evry thing there no one beter thin the other

these is why these day music have more kinds

. Screw One Direction

....You disgust me, you disgust me more than anyone else in the world. You could of just posted what you liked, but noooo you had to bash my favorite band.  :angry:  on the other hand I think it is perfectly normal, as long as you don`t bash other people fandoms like you did right then.