Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can someone please explain Dinky Doo?

Phoenix237

I kind think that it has already...

It would at least bring up some more creativity within the fanbase for sure, animated or not.

Yep.

Dinky is not Derpy's sister because they where not in the sister hooves social together. DInky is Derpy's daughter because she was derping in the cutie pox episode.  Derpy was seen not as a foal in a flashback where twilight sparkle was a foal at the summer sun summer sun celebration, but she was still seen. This shows evidence that Derpy is somewhat old and that she could have gave birth to a daughter at some point. If derpy gave birth to a unicorn when she is a pegasus then we have to bring up this video of Mr. Cake explaining pony genetics.

Actually, some of this makes sense. You know, the dad could also have been a unicorn, or have an allele in his genes for having a unicorn horn. It's funny that were brining genetics into this :P

because she was derping

...What? Are you trying to say that she's her daughter because of derping? I mean, a lot of ponies in the show derp.

derp-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-

Derp_S2E22.png

I believe my case is made.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, well, I know that Dinky is Derpy's daughter, but I am a bit confused.

How old is Derpy? When did she "have" a daughter? And most of all... who is the father?? blink.png

I have heard that it is Dr. Hooves but... IDK. 

Help?

Oh and have some funny:

post-13636-0-00925000-1369083280_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

A lot of people relate Dinky as Derpy and the Doctor's daughter, simply because in the show Derpy is spotted with the Doctor a lot, and in a few snapshots Dinky was with Derpy. Well Dinky Doo is usually Derpy's daughter, though in some fanfics they are indeed sisters. As for the father it all depends on the fanfic you are reading. There is no "official" relationship with Derpy/Dinky/Doctor. The usual is DerpyxDoctor, so Dinky being their daughter, though I've read one fanfic that Derpy had Dinky with another stallion that eventually cheated on her and just left Derpy and Dinky. It is just really comes to be what you want it to be. As for age, I'm not sure, but here is where people have tried to guess it.

@@Love*Potion,

Hello there. We already happened to have a thread for the purpose of discussing Dinky Doo and sharing fanon interpretations of her and such, so for convenience your topic has been merged with the older one. 

Anyhow, if they are related, I imagine Derpy first became pregnant when she was in the pony equivalent of her early twenties/late teens, which would make her in her early thirties now. No idea who the father is supposed to be.

Well, none of them are really right. Dinky Doo is just a background pony with a similar colour scheme to Derpy, so people like to assume that she's her daughter. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not trying to insult these people, mainly because I am one of them. :P

Anyway, it's really just a matter of headcannons and opinions. Everyone will believe what they want to until there's some sort of cannon representation, but that will probably never happen.

• 2 months later...

I just noticed this, I don't know if it has already been posted but egh..

tumblr_mh9ddrcT6m1rriakmo1_1280.jpg

Berry_Punch_Pie_2_S2E5.png

Golder Harvest/Carrot Top is her mother and Amethyst Star is her sister.

(edited)

Golder Harvest/Carrot Top is her mother and Amethyst Star is her sister.

Nope. Even though Dinky is seen with Carrot Top and Amethyst Star, it doesn't equate to them being family. Dinky being Carrot Top's daughter and Amethyst and Dinky sisters are just as much fanon as the Derpy/Dinky mother/daughter relationship.

1. Dinky was spotted with others in the past. Just because Dinky was spotted with Carrot Top doesn't mean they have a mother/daughter relationship. For all we know, these two may be friends, and Carrot could be a babysitter.
  2. Dinky and Amethyst being "sisters" in the Social doesn't mean they're actually sisters. Both characters are placeholders who do nothing except fill in the background, and we've seen them elsewhere. Since the Social, they haven't appeared together.

Moreover, you don't need to be officially sisters, whether it's adopted or blood-related, to qualify for the Social. The Social's purpose is for ponies to team up "as sisters" during activities for one day. You just need to agree to be sisters for that day to qualify. (If characters had to officially be sisters, then Sweetie Belle and Applejack would've been disqualified even though one-half of the team set up the competition. :P)

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Well, Dinky comes from Ditzy doo which is Derpy's original name. Or atleast I believe thats how it goes.

As for the relationship, there isn't really any, not cannon I mean, however plenty of fanfics have done different relationships between the two.

I personally like the Mother daughter thing, but thats just me.

• 2 years later...

Dinky looks exactly like Derpy, just smaller. So people think their related.. I hope that they are, either Mother/Daughter, or Sisters. I prefer it be Sisters, since you never see them together.. so maybe Sisters..

but maybe, if we ask them enough.. the MLP people will explain it :D if they already have, i have no idea.. since i dont use Twitter

Dinky doesn't look that similar to Derpy. They're colours are darker, and even filly Derpy doesn't look like Dinky.

• 1 month later...

My headcanon has always worked with Amethyst being Derpy's sister. Unicorns seem generally quite organised and studious and Pegasus somewhat more impulsive. So for a Unicorn to be growing up with not only a Pegasus, but Derpy as a sister, it makes sense that if she was naturally inclined to be organised, she would focus quite heavily on that aspect to counterbalance the chaos at home. It's not all that uncommon for siblings to grow up to be polar opposites, and we know Equestria is no exception thanks to Pinkie and Maud

It Also gives more weight to her as a character than just "used to be the best organiser in Ponyville that no one has asked to organise anything since Twilight came to town". She probably already has her hooves full on a daily basis if she lives with Derpy and Dinky.

Regarding the Sisterhooves social episode, We know the rules don't require the competitors to be actual sisters, as there are no comments or complaints about Sweetie Belle entering the race event with Applejack. So if Dinky doesn't have a sister herself, the next best thing would likely be her Mothers younger sister.

Also the scenes in the episode actually work quite well, first we see Dinky with Amethyst in the pie eating contest, then in the next scene they're in a pig pen together, with Carrot Top who's paired up with another filly. Then shortly after we see the competitors and a small group - of presumably family, or ponies involved in the event (the general spectators are seen seated off to the side) approaching the small stage where Granny Smith is about to make an announcement. Carrot Top + Filly - Never managed to identify that one (Edit - it's Noi) are in the group at the bottom left, Dinky and Amethyst are next to them in the middle, and Derpy is just ahead of them to the right. Finally when Granny Smith is making the announcement, Derpy is right at the front standing next to Amethyst

post-35903-0-58439200-1446314226_thumb.pngpost-35903-0-44226200-1446314235_thumb.png

Edited by BPCannon
  • Brohoof 1

I don't see how Derpy can be Dinky's mom because Dinky is a unicorn and Derpy is a Pegasus. Also, with all of the Doctor/Derpy shipping I don't think Dinky could be a unicorn. She is probably her sister or they have no relation at all.

The Cakes are both Earth Ponies and their kids are Unicorn and Pegasus, I always assumed - Edit, it's actually mentioned in the show - that Grandparents or Great Grandparents etc could affect the race of any Pony, if having a horn and magic or having wings, is genetic it doesn't need to follow directly from one generation to the next

As far as my personal headcannon goes though, I also find Dinky more interesting as a character if Derpy found and adopted her, and the relationship we've seen between Derpy and The Doctor in canon (EP 100) seems more like a potential Doctor and his assistant dynamic than a pair who are already very close, but that's just me, I like to try and fit my own ideas with actual canon as far as possible

Edited by BPCannon
  • Brohoof 2

As Hasbro mentions in the official release Derpy Hooves is sometimes also called Ditzy Do.  Dinky is a Unicorn foal that has the same colors, so fans just put them together. 

The most common fanfics have Derpy as a single mother raising Dinky but she could be her sister.  Look at AJ & Apple Bloom or Rarity & Sweetie.  The age difference is about the same & they are sisters. 

as BP Cannon mentioned, ponies can be different types in the same family.  Derpy could be Dinky's mother, especially if you assume her father was a Unicorn.  Or, it could be Amethyst is her mother & Derpy is, perhaps, an aunt or no relation.

Absent an official declaration of Hasbro, it's hard to say.

Interestingly - or not depending on your perspective - my kids watched MLP a long time before I did, I only started watching mid season 3, and I saw all of S4 before 1 & 2. When I did get around to watching 1/2 for the first time, it was not in chronological order (random episodes shown on a freeview channel here in the UK) and Sisterhooves Social was one of the last episodes I saw from the first 4 seasons. By the time I watched it, I already had my little headcanon re Derpy/Dinky, and Amethyst being Derpy's younger sister - I had already seen all of Dinky's scenes with Amethyst on youtube, So when I saw the scenes with Derpy that I posted above, I was very pleasantly suprised.

As far as the origins of it go, I always assumed it's due to Derpy's original canon name being Ditzy Doo, and Dinky's name being Dinky Doo. Related ponies don't always have the same last name - Like the Apple Jack, Apple Bloom and Big Mac, but some do - like the Pie family, and due to Ditzy and Dinky being rather similar words, going by standard kids show formula, it suggests very close relations.

Edited by BPCannon

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Judging from Season 5 episode 19. It looks like they are acknowledging it in canon, the pairing of ponies in background shots now is far less random that it used to be before they became a big point of interest

post-35903-0-38024400-1446313745_thumb.png

Edited by BPCannon

I think Derpy is a lot older than she looks

Given how people pair her with Time Turner, I'd say she's akin to Donna Noble than Rose Tyler (I mean, there's been scenes where Time Turner has Roseluck nearby, such as the scene where he's wearing 3D glasses (from Trade Ya!, I think?) and in Slice of Life at the wedding)

Whether or not Dinky is her kid is up to your personal headcanon

Dinky and Derpy do not have the same colors

Derpy is blue-gray and Dinky is purple-gray

But then again, look at Pumpkin and Pound Cake, then compare them to their parents...so coat and mane colors apparently aren't hereditary

Edited by The Nth Doctor

Didn't Derpy enter the YOUNG Fliers competition? Therefore, she must be fairly young. Dinky is canonically Amethyst Star's sister (sisterhooves social) and Amethyst is a fully-grown mare, meaning if Derpy were Dinky and Amethyst's mother, she would probably not be in the Young Fliers competition. Thus, either Dinky is Derpy's neice or some other relationship, or Amethyst is her honorary sister.

Correct any mistakes I made.

Edited by SparkytheFlame35

• 4 weeks later...

Being young doesn't really rule her out for being a mother, either adoptive or biological, and with the sisterhooves, as I was banging on about in my post above (with the Sisterhooves screenshots) it works quite well if Amethyst is Derpy's younger sister - hence her need to be very organised, but not able to do it as well as Twilight - organising Derpy's household would be almost a full time job. Derpy is close by in most of the shots with Dinky and Amethyst in the actual episode, and if Dinky doesn't have a sister of her own, it's likely she would have been allowed to compete with another relative. Sweetie Belle didn't seem to think it was against the rules when she was told she could have AppleJack as "sister for a day" so it follows that the Sisterhooves is not all that strict

• 1 year later...

Alrighty-aighty

So here's my side:

And keep in mind, this is just my opinion, don't get your mane in a twist, etc, etc.

Also, this is going to take a bit from "Dr. Who", so if you don't know what that is/haven't watched it/ don't care my end argument will make almost no sense

Question 1: Is Dinky Derpy Hooves' biological kid?

A: In my opinion- no. Here's why:

1. In the episode 'Sisterhooves Social', Dinky was seen racing with Amethyst Star, which establishes a bond with them. Since they look pretty similar (they're both purple unicorns and have a similar mane style), it's pretty likely they're biological sisters

2. Derpy seems pretty young to have a kid. She does have a job already, but that only hints at around 16-20, and since dinky looks to be about 7, she would have been ... 9-13?! Derpy could technically be older, but her personality really doesn't reflect it.

(For comparison, Cheerilee is estimated to be late 30s, due to her 90's flashback)

3. Since we know Amethyst is Dinky's older sister (by some stretch), that means Amethyst would be Derpy's kid too- wait, WHAT?

Then again, Amethyst could easily be Dinky's cousin posing as her sister to help her compete (the sisterhooves social competition rules are very broad)

Q: Is Derpy Dinky's adopted mother?

Possibly, and I actually kind of like this answer. Dinky is seen with Derpy for a few seconds in a couple of episodes, and she seems like the kind of pony who might adopt a lonely filly, maybe even an orphan? Although I like this answer, and Derpy could legally adopt both Amethyst and Dinky, I'm not entirely sure if she would be capable of doing so. She seems a bit, well, ditzy, but that is partially from her disability, and to be honest, that is kind of how I act in public. So this is a pretty good possibility, even one I favor.

Q: Does Doctor Whooves have anything to do with this?

So here's where we bust out the Doctor Who stuff

(Yes yes, I know it's technically Doctor Hooves, but I'm a nerd, so it's Whooves to me)

My answer? No. Definitely not. 

If Doctor Whooves is anything like his Timelord counterpart, he would definitely not accept any kind of fathering relationship, due to personal morals (age gap) and traumatic past experiences, even losing his own kids in the past.

Although some people argue that this small conversation from "Slice of Life" :

" Dr. Whooves: There you are! My suit has vanished and this was the only thing left in my closet! How do I look? Derpy: Like a million bits! "

semi-confirms the Derptor ship, I'd have to disagree. Even though it does seem like a bit like "Ludus" love, this happens a LOT to The Doctor (You know what I'm talking about if you've seen the episodes) and is almost always very one sided, and these kind of comments are usually brushed off.

As far as the rest of slice of life dealing with Doctor Whooves, I have a bit of a head-cannon theory that he managed to somehow crash his TARDIS and can't get it fixed/hasn't yet, so he's adapting to normal pony life

So that's my theory! Remember, just my opinion with some evidence, mixed in with some head-cannon and fan theories

Thanks for reading :D

• Brohoof 1

I don't see how Derpy can be Dinky's mom because Dinky is a unicorn and Derpy is a Pegasus. Also, with all of the Doctor/Derpy shipping I don't think Dinky could be a unicorn. She is probably her sister or they have no relation at all.

Hello, it ain't impossible you know, it only takes a SINGLE unicorn ancestor for either of them at least to make an unicorn. The further ancestry, lower the chances, but it ain't impossible to happen. Still, I debunk this Dinky is Derpy's kid because Derpy is evidently too young to be a mother (we've seen flashbacks where she's close to age with the Mane6 

AFAIK, the only reason they are together is that they have the same color scheme & fans assumed it meant a relationship.  The Cake twins show it could be possible to have a foal from another tribe.  +It's totally unknown who her father is -he could be a unicorn.

As to those who say "Derpy is too young", all I can say is "If you can watch the cartoons & judge the characters age just from looking at them, then Mister, you're a better man than I"