Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can we survive without sleeping?

GamerLuna7

Well slenderman can hurt me because i know he is stalking me in real life too. And i cant change my dreams , i have tried lot of things ,but they wont change.

Slenderman mythos? The key word being mythos... As in it's not real. If slenderman really is stalking you, then you should film it and bring it to a police officer. Though if you do see a slenderman like figure stalking you, it is most likely your friends playing a practical joke on you (Or replace friends with neighborhood kids). It's too bad about the dream thing, perhaps you could talk it out with a therapist. But I can personally assure you that slenderman is not stalking you. Because, well, he doesn't exist. 

Slenderman mythos? The key word being mythos... As in it's not real. If slenderman really is stalking you, then you should film it and bring it to a police officer. Though if you do see a slenderman like figure stalking you, it is most likely your friends playing a practical joke on you (Or replace friends with neighborhood kids). It's too bad about the dream thing, perhaps you could talk it out with a therapist. But I can personally assure you that slenderman is not stalking you. Because, well, he doesn't exist. 

Well i dont see anybody,but i can feel somehow that slenderman is behind a tree or somewhere. I just know it ,idk how. And also i dont like therapists.

Well i dont see anybody,but i can feel somehow that slenderman is behind a tree or somewhere. I just know it ,idk how. And also i dont like therapists.

Well then. How about you just talk to a trusted friend about what's troubling you? 

And really, don't worry about slenderman. He's a modern day boogieman that came out of an internet creepypasta. It's meant to entertain and scare people, that's why you're scared. 

Besides, slenderman supposedly has the power to move anywhere in the world when he is unseen. According to the mythos, he only stalks people he wants to kill. So if he was stalking you, he would have killed you already. Don't worry. He's not real.

Well then. How about you just talk to a trusted friend about what's troubling you? 

And really, don't worry about slenderman. He's a modern day boogieman that came out of an internet creepypasta. It's meant to entertain and scare people, that's why you're scared. 

Besides, slenderman supposedly has the power to move anywhere in the world when he is unseen. According to the mythos, he only stalks people he wants to kill. So if he was stalking you, he would have killed you already. Don't worry. He's not real.

But what if i survied and i am in a coma right now and i am slowly dieing. Also i dont have any friends in real life because everyone hates me here.

Your eyes would dry out, your muscles would ache all the time because they are constantly used, and you'd become mentally tired, too. Not to mention that if you don't sleep for three days straight, you'll start to hallucinate. This is kind of the basis of the Elm Street movie series; you can't survive without sleep.

Here are two interesting infographic pictures of sleep/health risks of not sleeping:

zeo-Sleep-Infographic-FFunction.jpeg

Sleep-or-Die-small.jpg

Want some brain bleach for Marblehornets and TribeTwelve?

Here are some.

Troyhasacamera is one of the makers and responsible for making Slenderman into what it is today. You can see some of the guys from the MarbleHornets series in this video doing crazy, stupid, random stuff. Funny as hell too.

Here's one I giggle at the most. Take the scary distortions that slenderman videos commonly have and add stupid funny stuff in it. And Monster Advertisement. You'll end up with this. Its the gut from Tribetwelve.

Hope these two bleach your brain off slendy.

Hey, Blindsight? I'm sorry to say this, but I can't see those images. What file format are they? .JPEG? .BMP? .GIF? .PNG? And what site(Heh heh, pun.) are you using to show them?

Also, Original Poster, are you seriously being stalked by Slenderman? And you're still alive? Dude, you just became twenty percent more awesome! (Heh heh, Rainbow Dash reference/meme. I'm funny.)

One time, 0n my way to work, I was being stalked by slenderman. I waited until I went around a certain corner, and then punched him in the face. Yeah, that's right, I punched out Slenderman! Except it wasn't the real Slenderman, it was just some guy in a Slenderman costume. It was a really good costume, and he gave it to me "In return for not telling anyone how he liked to play dress-up." Normally I would have defended the art of cosplay, but this person was offering me free stuff, my one weakness! Anyway, I got the costume, and then it got stolen a few months later. I... strongly dislike my town.

I did a week and a half once When staying at a freinds house.

We did go insane

We were hyper, cracking up at anything, and twitchy as fuck.

By the end of it i could barely walk. And my friend and I Regressed into Speaking in moans and grunts.

After a long time of not sleeping you'll get insomnia and you won't be able to go to sleep anymore.

And without sleep and rest your brain will go kaput. :/

Peter Griffin: These are facts.

EDIT: You can hallucinate if you don't sleep for at least 4-6 days and lose focus quite often.

And the body has a huge chance to just shut off as a defense mechanism and MAKE your go to sleep after at least 70 hours.

Edited by Double D

Uh, I have heard that you do NEED sleep or you couuuld die. I remember hearing a story about a guy who just could not fall asleep and weeks later..or months idr, but the did end up dying because he was waaaay to tired and the body could not function right and it was too exhausted so it gave up on him. I guess that sounds legit!

Thanks for the link , i will read it.

I hope in hte future we can find some way that we wouldnt need sleep, i really really hate sleeping.

I hate sleeping too. Especially dreams :P I wish sleep was always that sleep where you feel like you blink but you actually slept.

• Brohoof 1

I hate sleeping too. Especially dreams :P I wish sleep was always that sleep where you feel like you blink but you actually slept.

Same here i hate sleeping sooo much. Especially dreaming because most of the time i am having nightmares. I also wish if we blinked that would count as sleeping.

Same here i hate sleeping sooo much. Especially dreaming because most of the time i am having nightmares. I also wish if we blinked that would count as sleeping.

I usually don't have nightmares, I usually have weird dreams. Or something really cool happens... right before I wake up then I'm like -_-

The chances of somepony's body and/or mind surviving without sleep is zero.  Not sleeping means that you're willing to take a HUGE risk toward your body.  And might I add that it's an hour 33 minutes past my bedtime, but I'm always eager to help a friend in need,

Fatal familial insomnia is a prion disease in which the victim loses the ability to sleep. I probably don't have to state what happens at the end.

Extreme case aside, there are many effects of sleep deprivation. It may impair your ability to make decisions, process and retain information, and respond to the environment. It may also lead to depression or lack of focus. Physically, sleep deprivation may increase the risk or heart disease, diabetes, or stroke. At the same time, it decreases immune system effectiveness. All of these are factors that may contribute to premature death, whether it be from accident or disease.

To answer your question: no, we cannot survive without sleep. Sleep deprivation will kill you, directly or indirectly. And here's the thing-- just because scientists don't know why we sleep doesn't mean we don't need to sleep.

• Brohoof 1

There is a condition, I cannot recall it's name, which prevents you from being able to go to sleep. It is incurable, and as a result, patients of this illness always die of exhaustion. So no, people cannot live without sleep.

*edit*

Fatal familial insomnia is a prion disease in which the victim loses the ability to sleep. I probably don't have to state what happens at the end.

Oh, yeah. That's what it's called.

The body uses sleep to repair and replenish the body in ways which are impossible while awake, and sleep is also very important to mental health. If you go too long without sleeping, your body will force you to go to sleep. This is why premises like those in films such as Nightmare on Elm Street are so scary. It is impossible to simply stop sleeping.

Edited by MelancholicMemory

I enjoy role playing, too. However, one of the main reasons that I love this forum, is how nice most of these people seem to be. I like to go here, and remind myself that there are still good people in the world, and I'm a part of their fandom. That counts as me having friends, right?

Anyway, back on topic: If you google that article I mentioned, you will learn the secret for safely cutting down on sleeping time while improving the quality of your sleep, for free. I truly love science. Sometimes, its almost as good as magic.

In all honesty yes, we do need our sleep. I have experienced (and am about to do so again) what it is like when we don't get enough sleep...

The body will start screaming at you for not resting and to be honest, that really is no fun when it happens

The brain stops functioning properly after a while

Your muscles will go to ham

and overall, you'll just feel like total crap

It's really not worth it to be honest

No you cannot.

Source: House. (Television is so reliable!)

Apparently ten+ without sleep can be fatal. Your body needs it.

I did eight days in the summer and nine two weeks ago...I passed out both times. :c

Hey everypony and here is an interestin think that i have been thinking a while. Could we somehow survive without sleeping. Because scientists havent found a reason why we need sleep,other than our brain says that we need it. Not because your body needs rest or anything. Also i see sleeping as a huge waste of time.

Actually before people keep ranting on "DO" need sleep, let me give you instances where people have gone years without sleep.  The best example I can think of is a few WWII veterans that have gone 20+ yrs at a time without sleep.  This was caused by the high intense action of combat and sights.  

Now before you assume "Well that is not possible : P ", let me correct you by saying, "yes it is." The reason these people have gone years without sleeping is that their brains enter a sleep state without them having to travel their whole mindset into the unconscious.  This allows rest, without resting.  

NOTE: this information isn't from BNL's song "who needs sleep?" (Though it is a good song, it has nothing to do with research I have seen before this OP)

While no it isn't healthy, it is technically possible to go without sleep.  Though you can't train yourself to do so, it can be activated in rare cases of mind shattering events.  So anyways, I won't rant anymore, please do go on and converse.

Edited by Scootalove