Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Your 2012 Game of the Year?

Radiance64

It's no secret there were tons upon tons of amazing games released across all platforms in 2012, no mattter what you have there had to be something that you played that was top quality. But the question is, what was the best game released in 2012 that you played? Please make sure it was released this year, in your region at the very least, so any game released between January 1st to December 31st 2012 is acceptable. You can list more that one if you really can't decide- it's between like 5 different games for me, so I might just have to do that. :P
And go!

Edited by Artemis
prefix
  • Brohoof 1

I'm actually struggling to remember what was released that I picked up this year.

It might be because I'm still stabbing my way through it, but Far Cry 3 is great fun. I'll need to play multiplayer before I can confirm that, though. Borderlands 2 is definitely up there somewhere. 

Ok here's my 2 bits worth.

Best Gameplay   = Far Cry 3

Best Story           = Halo 4

Best Co-op         = Borderlands 2

Best new title      = Dishonored 

Best Indie           = The Walking Dead

Best Multiplayer  = Black Ops 2

Most over-rated  = Assassins Creed 3

• Brohoof 1

It's no secret there were tons upon tons of amazing games released across all platforms in 2012, no mattter what you have there had to be something that you played that was top quality. But the question is, what was the best game released in 2012 that you played? Please make sure it was released this year, in your region at the very least, so any game released between January 1st to December 31st 2012 is acceptable. You can list more that one if you really can't decide- it's between like 5 different games for me, so I might just have to do that. :P

And go!

Borderlands 2 that game is amazing. The amount of loot that it has in,it is just insane. Also the game is ultra funny,and has a nice art style.

THis year overall wasn't as good as the last, but still good. I tie mine with a top 6. Borderlands 2, Halo 4, New Super Mario Bros U, Dishonored, and  Xenoblade Chronicles, Farcry 3

Edited by weegeez

The best game of 2012, you ask? Well, that sure is a heck of a question, as there are just a ton of great ones to choose from, really. My overall favorite game, though, would probably be Resident Evil 6. I know probably nobody will agree with me on that decision, but from a content standpoint, the game really offered more than I could reasonably ask for at a $60 price-point, and though it may not have done the series any great justice, it was one of the most intense and thrilling cinematic experiences I've played this year. The combination of having 4 different campaigns to play through as well as the riotous fun I had with my friends in going through them is enough to justify this for me, as I don't believe any other game over these past 12 months has really brought me and my friends together so much.

Runners-up, however, would be great titles such as Borderlands 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Zombi U.  Borderlands 2 is a simply fantastic shoot-'em-up with a ridiculous amount of loot to find and some uproarious humor at times. I definitely found myself chuckling more while playing that game than any other that came out this year.  Meanwhile, Black Ops II won over me and my friends due to its fantastic local play support, allowing up to four players simultaneously while also having bots in the game to keep things more interesting. Local multiplayer has been falling by the wayside as of late, so I'm always happy when a game keeps it intact and makes it worthwhile.  Finally, Zombi U is a game I've only had a few hours of play with since I just got it yesterday, but it is truly the best survival-horror game of the year. No other game in the past several years, actually, can claim to be as focused on the 'survival' aspect as this game is, as it provides very intimidating odds for the player to surmount and feels more akin to Dark Souls than any other games in its own genre.

There were many other games I enjoyed this year, too, but those are just the few I have enjoyed the most really.  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Halo 4 is the best one this year, it definately is the greatest game this year. Let's recap why.

-It has new innovative never before seen multiplayer features-

-It's graphically stunning

-It has a great assortment of weapons

-It has an awesome forge mode where you can even generate real time shadows.

-Great map design for awesome replayability

-A story that brought me to tears

It's just great, Halo 4 is awesome and 343 Studios really out did themselves. Halo 4 should be game of the year, for sure.

Being a long time Halo fan (since the very beginning) I was at first skeptical 343 would do well, but since I learned that many of them are ex-Bungie members who worked on projects like Halo 2 my worries subsided. 

I sat back and enjoyed what was some of the most fun I've ever had in my life. The prometheans added a new twist of gameplay and a variety of new weapons, and don't get me started on the fun the mantis was.

Halo 4 is a solid 10/10, it's flawless.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

For me it's between these 5 games:

Xenoblade Chronicles- the ultimate revival of the JRPG, and undoubtably the best game released for Wii(in North America) this year. The expansive open areas strike a perfect balance between nonlinearity and story, as you can move along at your own pace, and the story is pretty amazing to boot. Just an awesome game all around.

Pokemon Black Version 2/White Version 2- no doubt the best(if not one of the only) DS games released this year, sure it's more of the same but the story and extras are definitely the best of the series, don't miss out on these just because they're on dead hardware.

Resident Evil: Revelations- the first game I bought for 3DS, and I do not regret it. At the very least, it's the best Resident Evil game released this year, combining the atmosphere of the originals and the gameplay of 4 well in a good campaign mode. Plus dem graphics, and Raid Mode has to be one of the best extra modes ever, basically made the game for me.

Kid Icarus Uprising- another 3DS game, and a great one at that. Awesome aerial segments, fun TPS ground segments, and great voice acting make for an amazing package, plus a decent multiplayer mode round it out. Oh, and there a tons of unlockables for all the achievement whores out there.

Virtue's Last Reward- would have never thought this would be a contender for me until I bought and played it myself, but it really is that good. Released for 3DS and Vita, Virtue's Last Reward is the sequel to 999 for DS(which I have not played yet, but want to), and is a puzzle adventure/visual novel game. What blew me away about this game was its amazing story, characters, music, and sound design, with fun and very challenging puzzle rooms called 'escape' segments. Plus there's quite a bit of decision making which leads to lots of multiple endings, I think I just might have to give it to this game just for how much it pleasantly surprised me! One of the best 'hidden gems' released this year by far at the very least.

Xenoblade and VLR are probably my absolute top 2 if I had to pick though, but between those 2 it's a tough choice. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

There were only two games I really got that were released this year; Borderlands 2 and CoD: Black Ops II. I would add Saints Row 3 and Amnesia: TTD to the list but Amnesia was released in 2010 while SR3 was released in 2011, so they don't count :(.

Anyways, Borderlands 2 was a game I wasn't really interested in until I saw gameplay of it. Eventually, I got it, and I was having a ton of fun on it; the jokes, the weapons, the loot, just almost everything was right for me. I wish I had a friend to play with, but oh well, it was nice to beat it solo anyways. Black Ops II is probably the best CoD I've ever played if I really had to think about it. The two big issues I see are connection issues and map design, specifically in spawns. Everything else in multiplayer is great. SMG's dominate, but AR's have a ver good chance as well. LMG's can be very useful with the right setup. It ain't fun to be quickscoped/noscoped by snipers, but whatever. Scorestreaks wer made to near perfection, aside from the Hunter Killer, which could use a bit of a nerf. The Pick-10 Create-a-Class is probably the best thing about it. It gives sooo much variety and customization, that I love it! I got the perfect classes now thanks to this system. I'm gonna miss it if IW doesn't use it for their next game.

For ne id have to go with The Walking Dead. First of all the suspense and story was what made this game so great. The graphics are fairly decent if not great then you have the intricate relationships you could have with other characters (Lets see Call of Duty do that lol)

Edited by ~Chaotic Harmony~

I know alot of people are going to go what and ask why but my top game is Black Ops 2. I have barely had it for a day and I love it.

Now I haven't played to many new games this year so my choice may not be that good, but even still I am sure it would be Black Ops 2. The COD games have always beef fun for me, and this game is no exception  the thrill of running around in Multiplayer with friends killing everyone. The Campaign is amazing in my opinion. Zombie mode may not have been as good as I expected, but I still loved it.

Now if I had played Halo 4 or Far Cry 3, I am sure those would have been up there to, but I haven't so I have to go with Black Ops 2.

The main topic of the last few weeks before new years is the good ol' question "What was your game of the year?" Now this game doesn't have to be a game that came out this year, just a game that you had fun with that you played this year.

My top game has to be Skyrim, I had the Xbox version but now that I have a better PC, I got the Steam version for the mods and the mods make this so much better. Never before I got a more immersive experience. The Skyrim mods community is so impressive.

Far Cry 3 is tied, but I can't garrentee it's better because I haven't really finished the main questline so I can't give a total review that I want too.. Otherwise Far Cry 3 is better slightly. 

(Also cool Celestia Pic because why not.)

post-9198-0-54002900-1356677880_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... Well I always have a hard time choosing an answer for these types of questions so instead of saying my #1 game of the year I'll say my fav game for 3 different genres.

Just cause 2. For action games.

Planet Side 2. For FPS games

Super Meat Boy. For 2D Platformer

Edited by Mellow
  • Brohoof 1

For this year, I would have to say Halo 4. I think its an amazing game, espically with the history of its development with 343. I also think it really did a great job in telling a compeling story not just for a story about an A.I. and a solider with "no face," but also as a peice of science fiction. Not to mention the great multiplayer and spartan ops co-op modes.

I think there was already a thread for this but oh well. 

Best all rounder         = Mass Effect 3

Best Campaign          = Halo 4

Best Gameplay          = Far Cry 3

Best Multiplayer         = Black Ops II

Best Co-op                = Borderlands 2

Worst Game of 2012 = Assassins Creed III (Buy dishonored instead, it's way better.)

Nothing. Honorable mention goes to Journey for being one of the few to try something new. All of the games that came out this year kinda sucked in their own ways. I feel like most of the gaming industry is not really trying anything new.

Worst Game of 2012 = Assassins Creed III (Buy dishonored instead, it's way better.)

Worse than Ninja Gaiden 3? Really? really.

Edited by Bohtty

I'm so sorry, but you're gonna hate me for this one...

Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2:

God, I just can't help liking those crappy jrpg's that are released every once in a while. I suppose this was better than average for that, but still the shame is there.

Worse than Ninja Gaiden 3? Really? really.

Never played it. Wouldn't consider playing another Ninja Gaiden if someone held a gun to my head (well...maybe). The second game was rubbish, I think i played that for about 30 minutes before i returned it.  But i imagined the 3rd sucked big time. 

Mine would have to be Fallout 3 or fallout new vegas... I love the amazing amount of freedom that the games gives you, its great. The large quantity of weapons, apparel and gadgets you can use is outstanding and the questlines are actually bearable unlike a lot of other games that offer the same basic thing for every quest... And the mothership zeta add-on is just WOW! I know that they were not released this year but still my favorite all around game.

Farcry 3 most definitely nothing else comes close! The game was just perfectness! Here's my list:

1. MGS HD Collection

2. Farcry 3

3. Dishonored

4. Medal of Honor

5. Halo 4

Edited by WoonaMooves