NavelColt

55 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

1.)  I don't think spike would ever want to leave Twilight.

he didn't, he was hoping Twilight would say no, and probably figured Twilight would miss him and demand he come back

2.)  Spike usually doesn't make as many mistakes as he made in this episode.

I count one 'mistake': breaking the eggs. everything else is just making a mess, which IS in character for Spike, hell it's in character for everyone on the show really

he didn't, he was hoping Twilight would say no, and probably figured Twilight would miss him and demand he come back

There's the thing though.  While he did act sad that she was alright with it, I think that the true spike would have bothered her more on something that important.

I see the issue as Applejack sparing Spike rather than being Honest. When Spike messes up, Twilight tells him he messed up. The problem with this episode is that Applejack should have acted in the same manner like Applejack in Winter Wrap Up when Twilight messes up. She should have hit her tolerance of Spike's messing and told it to him, rather than just sparing.

The episode could have made Applejack a bit more clever by just having her order Spike to go work for Twilight since he said he would do anything.

Edited by Singe

I have to admit, I really didn't like the way Spike was portrayed in "Spike at Your Service." at all. It was totally unlike him and pretty ooc of him. He failed to practically do any chore right for Applejack. Spike has been Twilight's worker throughout the entire series, and I've never before seen him failed so badly before.

I think the episode was also poorly written out in storyline and character. Heck the whole, "You saved my life, therefore I shall be your servant for life!" principle, has been used multiple times in countless other shows.

It really didn't teach that big of a lesson in the episode either.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

At first, i didn't really like this episode. The major reason was because it was a spike episode, and im not to fond of spike. Then, after i watched it again, i began to look deeper into it. I look at it as if spike was purposely messing up so that Applejack would send him home to twilight, this however back fired as Applejack just couldn't shew him away because of the kindness in her heart. Or im just reading it wrong. XDD 

Well I know tis been stated a million times already, but I like spike as much as the next guy but the kluts thing was soo annying that i never want to see that episode again. And the whole Dragon code was so left field.

- that basically SAYS it all - lol

• 2 weeks later...

This episode made me very uncomfortable for a few reasons:

Spike's incompetence at performing tasks we've known him to do for Twilight on a regular basis.

Spike having his worst fear (as revealed in the Crystal Empire) essentially coming true as his 'dragon code' (really, since when do dragon's have codes of honor?) compels him to leave Twilight, and despite being at an extremely emotional state, she couldn't seem to care less, being more interested in her studies.

The Timberwolf redesign was completely unnecessary and felt really out of place.

The Mane Six (outside of Applejack failing to tell Spike how she felt from the beginning and Twilight ignoring him) were in character, so at least there's that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well any complaints I have about this episode have already been stated. I really like spike and the CMC(yes i know they were in this one)  But yeah the whole klutz thing really threw me off. I mean that the only thing i could think of throughout the entire thing was why spike was suddenly bad at baking(when he make cookies for crying out loud) a pie not that different.

The whole diet thing was kind of cheesy to dragon code gah more like writing code for lazy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This episode was seriously funny. It reminds me more of Looney Tunes or Spongebob (which Merriwether Williams wrote for) than alot of the other FiM episodes. That huge grin Spike gives when he asks Rarity to eat the pie he baked made me laugh seriously hard. As did Rarity mentioning how awesome it would be if she had a servant. Spike counting every blade of grass was funny too. I need to watch it again, there's some stuff I missed. It didn't really have a lesson; it was more of a screwball comedy than anything.

And no Pinkie, you still can't have a mustache.

• Brohoof 1

This episode was seriously funny. It reminds me more of Looney Tunes or Spongebob (which Merriwether Williams wrote for) than alot of the other FiM episodes. That huge grin Spike gives when he asks Rarity to eat the pie he baked made me laugh seriously hard. As did Rarity mentioning how awesome it would be if she had a servant. Spike counting every blade of grass was funny too. I need to watch it again, there's some stuff I missed. It didn't really have a lesson; it was more of a screwball comedy than anything.

And no Pinkie, you still can't have a mustache.

I agree. People always seem to overlook how funny this episode is when discussing it. Most people just brush it off as a terrible episode but I really enjoyed it. My only problem was that Spike was too clumsy but in the end it isn't much of a problem as it adds more comedy.

Edited by Rivendare

Anyone notice that mlp, may taken the timberwolf from "My Life as a Teenage Robot"? I know that one of the producers was working with mlp for 2 years before moving to a different project, but in any case.

• 2 weeks later...

My five problems with this episode:

1. The story is very cliche.

2. Spike shouldn't be horrible at cleaning for AppleJack. Part of his job is to clean the library for Twilight; this made no sense to me.

3. Why was Spike so bad at cooking? It was clearly shown in Owls Well That Ends Well & Dragon Quest that he can cook pretty well.

4. We saw in the season 3 premiere that Spike's worst fear was being separated from Twilight forever. Yet, he leaves Twilight in this episode with little hesitation.

5. Twilight claims she doesn't know much about dragons. Yet, she tells AppleJack "you surely know how important a dragon code is to a dragon".

I was puzzled by this.

This episode gets a 1/5 in my book.

The only things I liked were the Timber wolves even though they for defeated easily.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Loved this episode.  I dunno why, but I just really loved AJ in this episode.  I guess it's a Spike spotlight, not an AJ spotlight, but AJ was more awesome in this episode than in most of her spotlights.  Like Batbrony said, AJ was totally Batman when she saved Spike.  And I love how hardcore RD is that she can actually blow through a rock tower and destroy it.  Reminded me of when she came screaming down and sonic rainboomed into AJ's barn and exploded the whole thing.  RD is f*ckin Superman.

Anyway, it was a great story too.  The idea of the unecessary lifedebt thing has come up many times in shows and movies, and the solution would actually be very simple.  It's basically an Aladdin-Genie I-wish-for-your-freedom situation.  All AJ had to do was say, "Spike, as your master, I order you to go be Twilight's assistant like before and leave me alone.  If you disobey this order, than your are disobeying your master and not honoring your lifedebt."  Bam, problem solved.

I was cracking up during the timber wolf ruse.  AJ was hilarious with her bad acting.  And I didn't know RD could roar like that!  She is so badass.  Great episode.

• 2 months later...